Nikon D750 & D780

Weight and size play a big part for me. Plus I enjoy the single focal length thing! I have had and sold (or passed to the wife) the 24-85, 24-120 and 24-70. Just didnt enjoy any of them as much as the primes!

Reactions: dkh
Hi Guys,
I was watching this video on youtube and I understood most of it, i`m not one to understand things via a video or books but this man showed all in Lightroom,
what they do and how they work, now I have seen plenty of videos on youtube about Lightroom and they have been total gobbledegook to me any how.
I got no idea what you are like with your PP skills or your perception of using Lightroom or PS and the like.
What do you think about this video, ok so its nearly 45 mins long but I did skip some :)

View: https://youtu.be/fewTszRRX2Y

Hi Guys,
I was watching this video on youtube and I understood most of it, i`m not one to understand things via a video or books but this man showed all in Lightroom,
what they do and how they work, now I have seen plenty of videos on youtube about Lightroom and they have been total gobbledegook to me any how.
I got no idea what you are like with your PP skills or your perception of using Lightroom or PS and the like.
What do you think about this video, ok so its nearly 45 mins long but I did skip some :)

I'll look at it when I have more time, but purely looking at the before and after it's too extreme for me and doesn't represent the original image ;)

Hi Guys,

It amazes me how it's gone from the before image to the after image. I definitely don't go as far as I could with pricessing.

I'll look at it when I have more time, but purely looking at the before and after it's too extreme for me and doesn't represent the original image ;)
It amazes me how it's gone from the before image to the after image. I definitely don't go as far as I could with pricessing.
Yeah I get where your coming from, lots of extra "pop" has been put into this shot from start to finish.
If you watch the video he explains what each slider does, amazed me to discover things in LR that I didnt know existed lol
IMO its just worth the watch to see what the sliders do.
At least now I know my crap shots aint lost in the trash lol.

snap, i think the finished shot should be binned, its way over done and as you say its nothing to do with capturing an image, its a binary construction.

Safely made it back from Wales, didn't spot any locals so that's probably why.

Took a trip up to Neuadd Reservoir, although there was a distinct lack of water. This is looking towards Pen-Y-Fann (apparently). Weather was pretty crap too!

Neuadd Reservoir 1 by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Neuadd Reservoir 2 by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Neuadd Reservoir Pano by Chuckoir, on Flickr

All taken with the little 28-80mm.

Last edited:
Safely made it back from Wales, didn't spot any locals so that's probably why.

Took a trip up to Neuadd Reservoir, although there was a distinct lack of water. This is looking towards Pen-Y-Fann (apparently). Weather was pretty crap too!

Neuadd Reservoir 1 by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Neuadd Reservoir 2 by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Neuadd Reservoir Pano by Chuckoir, on Flickr

All taken with the little 28-80mm.
No 2 for me is the better shot, nice comp and welcome back lol

You could have bagged a worldie if you had a long lens with you. That little thicket of trees in the middle of #2 with the cloud shrouded mountain in the background would have made a nice shot.
I did have it with me...:coat:

Kicking myself now that I didn't see it while I was there - ah well, live and learn. One for next time.

Last edited:
Love the second one @Chuckoir
Thanks, Tim! :)

@minnnt - Something like this? Although not a massive crop, and probably in focus as well (if I'm lucky)...

Neuadd Crop by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Gives me an excuse to go back.

Learned a valuable lesson today - need to remember to keep wiping the moisture of the filter - absolute nightmare trying to get rid of all the drops in LR (and a s*** job I made of that, too!). :eek:

snap, i think the finished shot should be binned, its way over done and as you say its nothing to do with capturing an image, its a binary construction.
Yeah, may as well just create an image using CGI ;)

Woburn big cat photography booked for july ;)

The also explain how not to use full auto cant wait :D
You use Auto on your D750 most/all the time?

Yep every outing
Ah right, nowt wrong with that, I toggle between M and Auto and I'm also testing A, S and P on rare occasions. It all depends on the situation at the time and what I can be bothered with. But I learnt M mode very fast as I was using a manual focus lens and still am for macro, which I'm hoping will start tomorrow [emoji1]

I used to use m on my d90 but made too many mistakes so just thought it was a bad job.
Auto ISO in manual is what I often use for wildlife, all I have to do it choose the aperture I want (usually around f4-f8 depending on light and DoF) and the fastest shutter speed I can get (usually aiming for around 1/500 to 1/1000). I keep an eye on the ISO value and either adjust aperture or shutter speed if it gets too high. Some days I'm lucky if I can get f4, 1/200 at ISO3200!

I think we are quite close, if you ever what to meet up somewhere like Woburn I would be happy to go through how I do it

Last edited:
Auto ISO in manual is what I often use for wildlife, all I have to do it choose the aperture I want (usually around f4-f8 depending on light and DoF) and the fastest shutter speed as I can get (usually aiming for around 1/500 to 1/1000). I keep an eye on the ISO value and either adjust aperture or shutter speed if it gets too high. I think we are quite close, if you ever what to meet up somewhere like Woburn I would be happy to go through how I do it
Thanks for that comment Rob ... not aimed at my I know but it's useful for me to note...

Thanks for that comment Rob ... not aimed at my I know but it's useful for me to note...
Im glad you find it helpful. It's not really manual as such but I find it more useful than A or S as I can control both aperture and shutter speed. ISO is so good on the D750 that it's not as important as it was on older crop bodies I've previously used. If light is likely to change I find it can help to centre the exposure settings of aperture and shuttter speed around ISO800 as it gives 2-3 stops either side for changes in light. It gives you a little leeway if you don't notice the changing light or are panning through a scene with bright light and shadow areas.

Auto ISO in manual is what I often use for wildlife, all I have to do it choose the aperture I want (usually around f4-f8 depending on light and DoF) and the fastest shutter speed I can get (usually aiming for around 1/500 to 1/1000). I keep an eye on the ISO value and either adjust aperture or shutter speed if it gets too high. Some days I'm lucky if I can get f4, 1/200 at ISO3200!

I think we are quite close, if you ever what to meet up somewhere like Woburn I would be happy to go through how I do it
I was going to ask where you take your deer pics as I'm only about 30mins north of woburn

Last edited:
Back