Nikon D750 & D780

It's all to do with focus breathing at short focus distances. At close focussing you don't get a true 200mm, it's supposedly more like 135mm. I can't remember what the actual distances are but it's easy to fine example on the internet.

There is a table comparing focus distance with focal length in the link below.

http://www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm

If you don't shoot subject distances under 5m and haven't previously used another lens it may be hard to notice the 'issue'.

@JJ! how much do you shoot within 5m of the subject at 200mm? I honestly dont see the focus breathing in real use as I don't have a 70-200 f4 to compare it against whilst shooting. I could compare it against my 200-400 but I usually choose what I think is the best lens lens for the situation then don't worry about if focus breathing will be an issue.

The f4 is a great lens, so is the VR2 f2.8. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. The f4 is light, sharp across the frame and quite fast to focus too but build/weatherproofing isn't so good. The f2.8 VR2 is pretty sharp, great at f2.8, rapid/accurate AF in low light, great with 1.4x TC but heavier and has the focus breathing "issue".

It all comes down to whether you really need f2.8, need great AF in low light, better weatherproofing or often use a 1.4x TC. If you do then it's the VR2 f2.8, otherwise the f4 would be perfect. If I only shot wildlife in good light/weather or landscapes I would have kept the f4. Having f2.8 available in poor light can really help keep ISO lower when you are at the extreme exposure settings. There is nothing wrong with the f4, if used within its limits it's a great lens. I have to say I sometimes miss the lightweightness of the f4, after holding framing on a subject for a few minutes waiting for the perfect pose I've noticed the weight difference! If I was only into landscapes the 70-200 f4 and 24-120 f4 would be my ideal landscape setup (and much lighter too).

Last edited:
Apparently my 28mm does I and never noticed that!

@JJ! how much do you shoot within 5m of the subject at 200mm? I honestly dont see the focus breathing in real use as I don't have a 70-200 f4 to compare it against whilst shooting. I could compare it against my 200-400 but I usually choose what I think is the best lens lens for the situation then don't worry about if focus breathing will be an issue.

The f4 is a great lens, so is the VR2 f2.8. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. The f4 is light, sharp across the frame and quite fast to focus too but build/weatherproofing isn't so good. The f2.8 VR2 is pretty sharp, great at f2.8, rapid/accurate AF in low light, great with 1.4x TC but heavier and has the focus breathing "issue".

It all comes down to whether you really need f2.8, need great AF in low light, better weatherproofing or often use a 1.4x TC. If you do then it's the VR2 f2.8, otherwise the f4 would be perfect. If I only shot wildlife in good light/weather or landscapes I would have kept the f4. Having f2.8 available in poor light can really help keep ISO lower when you are at the extreme exposure settings. There is nothing wrong with the f4, if used within its limits it's a great lens. I have to say I sometimes miss the lightweightness of the f4, after holding framing on a subject for a few minutes waiting for the perfect pose I've noticed the weight difference! If I was only into landscapes the 70-200 f4 and 24-120 f4 would be my ideal landscape setup (and much lighter too).

It's mainly for equestrian to be honest, not really a big landscape shooter.

I have occasionally been asked to do indoor shooting which they benefit of 2.8 would be appreciated!

Sorry @minnnt - I got told to buy the LCE one today by SWMBO.
Dang that's a nice bit of kit - just need the weather to play nicely now:(

Reactions: JJ!
Haha, i didn't really think you'd wait. Just think, by the time the weather picks up the one from Panamoz would have been here. :LOL:

Have fun dude.

Yeah and I could have bought the Samyang 14mm with the difference too

Haha, i didn't really think you'd wait. Just think, by the time the weather picks up the one from Panamoz would have been here. :LOL:

Have fun dude.

Cant he just take pics out of his window of a beautiful landscape.

He can still use it ;)

Haha no mate was a little joke. rookies lives right next some fantatsic veiws and took pics of them out of his window. It was a few pages back. :D:D

No worries [emoji106] all I see out the windows are other houses - the joy of living on the outskirts of Gloucester.

No worries [emoji106] all I see out the windows are other houses - the joy of living on the outskirts of Gloucester.

All they do on here is p*** take... But I am kind of got use to it and dont bother too much on here now mate..

But me on top of table thou lol

Only when you open your self up for it mate

Same as anyone else. Just see the past 10 pages

Wont be opening myself anymore hence i dont post much now... Learnt me lesson

All they do on here is p*** take... But I am kind of got use to it and dont bother too much on here now mate..

Oh I know that - been following this thread long enough - just not been part of the club till now [emoji41]

I have the VRii didn't want spend that much on the FL love the vrii awesome lens

Yeah was just looking at prices of the FL! I guess if you get paid for it, it's worth it.

Suppose if you make a living out of it yes.

Sorry @minnnt - I got told to buy the LCE one today by SWMBO.
Dang that's a nice bit of kit - just need the weather to play nicely now:(
So you bought a used one for more than a new grey? o_O

So you bought a used one for more than a new grey? o_O
No - brand new.
No sign of the two year extended warranty any more from Nikon either when registering it online - have they done away with that as part of their 'significant losses'?

No - brand new.
No sign of the two year extended warranty any more from Nikon either when registering it online - have they done away with that as part of their 'significant losses'?
Mmmm, shiny new camera ;) How much are new UK ones now?

Dunno re the 2 year warranty. I'm sure I read that EU warranties are two years anyway, but could be wrong.

It's what's right for you mate. You often get more for used UK than used grey so the difference is not as much if you rage that into consideration, plus some stores don't take grey cameras for trade in.

I got no plans to shift this - got to last me a good few years now. I really don't think I will outgrow this for a long long time.

I got no plans to shift this - got to last me a good few years now. I really don't think I will outgrow this for a long long time.

Time to start buying more lenses!

Back