Nikon D750 & D780

Seeing that Zoo shots are topical at the moment (loving the big cats Toby) here are a few from my Zoo trip last weekend. Not really happy with the majority of shots taken but then again seeing my longest lens is 200mm, it was overcast day and shooting through 2" thick dirty glass, I suppose I can't expect too much.
Big crops on all of these.
Zoo2017K.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017J.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017d.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017g.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017c.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017f.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017a.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Seeing that Zoo shots are topical at the moment (loving the big cats Toby) here are a few from my Zoo trip last weekend. Not really happy with the majority of shots taken but then again seeing my longest lens is 200mm, it was overcast day and shooting through 2" thick dirty glass, I suppose I can't expect too much.
Big crops on all of these.
Zoo2017K.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017J.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017d.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017g.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017c.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017f.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017a.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr
Dunno why you're not happy with these, great images. I love your processing too, so much clarity and class, I wish I could get mine to look like this.

Glad i don't work for myself :D
Yep, it can suck at times. We were hoping to have a longer holiday (10-14 days) for our 40th's this year but it's not panned out :(

Dunno why you're not happy with these, great images. I love your processing too, so much clarity and class, I wish I could get mine to look like this.
Thanks for your comments Toby, I was reasonably happy with these few what I meant was that out of 200+ shots taken, less than a dozen were any good and the rest really poor.

Really like this one. Just on phone though but I'm sure it will look good also on the pc.
Thanks, although TBH it doesn't look good on either.

Thanks, although TBH it doesn't look good on either.
Theres one thing about photography, as I have seen someone here on TP put on their page, "If theres one photo I dont like its my own" or something like that.
In this case, as its me viewing your photo, I cant agree with you, to me its a nice airy shot showing some nice detail and countryside.
The Sun maybe central but I dont care about that. This is IMO a lovely shot. Be proud of what you take :)

Theres one thing about photography, as I have seen someone here on TP put on their page, "If theres one photo I dont like its my own" or something like that.
In this case, as its me viewing your photo, I cant agree with you, to me its a nice airy shot showing some nice detail and countryside.
The Sun maybe central but I dont care about that. This is IMO a lovely shot. Be proud of what you take :)
Thanks very much. I deliberately went against the grain with the sun for this one ;)

Pretty much same here,i love everyones photos but like about 10% of my own.trying to get a bit better by spending less time with gas and more time learning composition.

I actually really like it and it does look like an artists creation in a good way
Thanks. Never been called and artist before, but I'll take it ;) Beats what I'm normally called :LOL:

Continuing on from a few pages back when I posted a couple of photos of the dress rehearsal of a play I helped take photos of... A bit of a wider view of the play and stage. The stage was at most 10m across and circular. They also used a smoke machine so between the haze and the darkness of the lighting setup it was quite a challenge. This shot I managed to (correctly!) use the flippy screen and live view along with the 24-120/f4 lens. ISO again was at a staggering 16000. Again, I used a light touch of Noiseware to cut down on noise in the blacks.

The Bakkhai (Euripides) by Paul, on Flickr

Continuing on from a few pages back when I posted a couple of photos of the dress rehearsal of a play I helped take photos of... A bit of a wider view of the play and stage. The stage was at most 10m across and circular. They also used a smoke machine so between the haze and the darkness of the lighting setup it was quite a challenge. This shot I managed to (correctly!) use the flippy screen and live view along with the 24-120/f4 lens. ISO again was at a staggering 16000. Again, I used a light touch of Noiseware to cut down on noise in the blacks.

The Bakkhai (Euripides) by Paul, on Flickr
How did you find focus speed of the 24-120mm F4? I find it a bit wanting in low light.

How did you find focus speed of the 24-120mm F4? I find it a bit wanting in low light.

To be honest, I couldn't notice any difference between it and my 80-200/f2.8. This could, perhaps, be because the 24-120 is AF-S and the 80-200 is AF-D. At any rate, I took a goodly amount of photos with it and I can't recall thinking any nasty thoughts about slow focussing. Also, this was about as low light as I would want without going outside after sunset. It was DARK!

Last edited:
To be honest, I couldn't notice any difference between it and my 80-200/f2.8. This could, perhaps, be because the 24-120 is AF-S and the 80-200 is AF-D. At any rate, I took a goodly amount of photos with it and I can't recall thinking any nasty thoughts about slow focussing. Also, this was about as low light as I would want without going outside after sunset. It was DARK!
I guess maybe it helps with the subjects are lit and so good contrast.

It's only the AF that's making me look at the 24-70 tbh. I never used mine in bad light tbh, but in normal light it ran rings around the 24-120mm and so hoping this will continue in bad light.

I guess maybe it helps with the subjects are lit and so good contrast.

It's only the AF that's making me look at the 24-70 tbh. I never used mine in bad light tbh, but in normal light it ran rings around the 24-120mm and so hoping this will continue in bad light.

If I want to compare focus speeds I only have to compare it to my 85/1.4 AF-D or Sigma 105. Those two are glacial. Anything after that is "Flash" speedy.

Thought I would get out early this morning as no chance tomorrow when going to the photography show at the NEC. I've been meaning to try a local spot for Hares for a while. It was nice to find some even if they were mostly on the other side of a rather large field! It was a nice morning to sit in a field watching the Hares run about on the other side of the field even if the photography wasn't so good. I saw my first 'boxing' albeit from a distance but nice to see all the same.

This is the best I got this morning, I think I may need a longer lens!!

Lying Low
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Did anyone see Russell Savory's electrical cart for his Hare photography on Inside Out London? Its one way to silently sneak up on them!

Thought I would get out early this morning as no chance tomorrow when going to the photography show at the NEC. I've been meaning to try a local spot for Hares for a while. It was nice to find some even if they were mostly on the other side of a rather large field! It was a nice morning to sit in a field watching the Hares run about on the other side of the field even if the photography wasn't so good. I saw my first 'boxing' albeit from a distance but nice to see all the same.

This is the best I got this morning, I think I may need a longer lens!!

Lying Low
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Did anyone see Russell Savory's electrical cart for his Hare photography on Inside Out London? Its one way to silently sneak up on them!
I dunno, it's got a cool minimalistic vibe about it :LOL:

I'm off to the photography show tomorrow as well, might leave my credit card at home so I'm not tempted by anything :LOL:

I dunno, it's got a cool minimalistic vibe about it :LOL:
Is that the new way to describe 'too far away'? It used to be 'environmental image'.

I'm off to the photography show tomorrow as well, might leave my credit card at home so I'm not tempted by anything :LOL:

I need to do that too, don't want to be tempted by 500 f4 or anything similar

I dunno, it's got a cool minimalistic vibe about it [emoji38]

I'm off to the photography show tomorrow as well, might leave my credit card at home so I'm not tempted by anything [emoji38]
Like the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 [emoji15]

Had a quick go with the 20mm Sigma again today. If you can live with she sheer weight and size, it's a great lens. Giving me the itch to get a Siggy 35!

Had a quick go with the 20mm Sigma again today. If you can live with she sheer weight and size, it's a great lens. Giving me the itch to get a Siggy 35!

I got both and love `em ...
Always preferred 35mm focal length to 50mm. Also got a Nisi filter kit for the 20 ;) Come on summer (and some spare time).

Back