Nikon D750 & D780

My first BMX was one of these...

pict0103_copy0_blowup.jpg

Ah memories. Who were the rich kids on mongoose's or diamondbacks? Always wanted something with acorn mags, you couldn't put those spoken dokeys on those! my shins still have the 'bear trap' marks ;-)

Last edited:
Going full Leica?

It's an itch I want to scratch. Starting with film - M6.

I still have my d800 which is bang on for the portrait work I do and also my medium format Bronica.

That said the sensor on the d750 is phenomenal and I was very torn about putting it up for sale!

Seeing that Zoo shots are topical at the moment (loving the big cats Toby) here are a few from my Zoo trip last weekend. Not really happy with the majority of shots taken but then again seeing my longest lens is 200mm, it was overcast day and shooting through 2" thick dirty glass, I suppose I can't expect too much.
Big crops on all of these.
Zoo2017K.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017J.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017d.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017g.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017c.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017f.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Zoo2017a.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Only just seen these Sir, "Cracking" set of images with #1 being my fav'.(y)

George.

Photo show was ok today, did a few of the talks which were probably the best bit for me including Lara Jade and Joe McNally who's always good craic. There wasn't so much for people with cameras though, not that I see much point in a busy hall with crap lighting, but each to their own.

Photo show was ok today, did a few of the talks which were probably the best bit for me including Lara Jade and Joe McNally who's always good craic. There wasn't so much for people with cameras though, not that I see much point in a busy hall with crap lighting, but each to their own.
I went to a couple of really good talks, Gavin Hoey and someone else (I forget his name). I don't know any togs though so no idea who I should watch and why, so just went by subject. Started watching some woman talk about artistic dance lighting but didn't rate her presentation skills and lost interest.

As you say, not a lot to shoot. Fuji stand had a couple of models but was at ISO 2000-4000 at f2.8. Gavin Hoey let me try some shots after his talk, and I gate crashed another tutorial in the lobby area using constant light.

Some 'interesting' characters in the comicon lobby ;)

Never really got the old, I'm going to a photo show so I must take my D5 and 300mm prime. :confused:

Never really got the old, I'm going to a photo show so I must take my D5 and 300mm prime. :confused:
Never understand that myself. Taking a camera can help if you want to try out a particular lens but no point taking lenses. I didn't see anything too big this year, one guy with a 80-400 and a backpack which looked to be full of camera gear by the size of it.

Are you talking about this one? Definitely a beast of a lens at 17.5kg!

https://petapixel.com/2014/12/21/theres-nikon-2000mm-f11-ebay-complete-lens-cap-carrying-case/

Yeah that as the one Rob, proper beastie. Canon had the monster that they built only 20 of (in the 80s?) on their stand, can't even remember what it was now but it was loooong.

The talk that I did do that was interesting was the use of Lightroom mobile. I haven't used that tbh but certainly benefits to it, especially showing/sharing pictures to people/clients.

So this Nikon 58mm lens... reviews seem very mixed. 50mm is my favourite so this 58mm lens looks interesting.

It seems to be a lens you love or just don't understand, reviews say it has character and an image quality that is unique and individual.

The price however is on the higher end of the scale, and being just a casual shooter it's probably not a lens i should be looking at, but knowing a 2nd hand one is coming up for sale it is of course making want to look at it in greater detail.

So what are people's thoughts? My 50 is my general walk around, i could use it all day. Is the 58 for portraits or can it replace the 50?

Interested to hear people's opinions.

So this Nikon 58mm lens... reviews seem very mixed. 50mm is my favourite so this 58mm lens looks interesting.

It seems to be a lens you love or just don't understand, reviews say it has character and an image quality that is unique and individual.

The price however is on the higher end of the scale, and being just a casual shooter it's probably not a lens i should be looking at, but knowing a 2nd hand one is coming up for sale it is of course making want to look at it in greater detail.

So what are people's thoughts? My 50 is my general walk around, i could use it all day. Is the 58 for portraits or can it replace the 50?

I'm sure the 8mm difference isn't that noticeable so it could replace the 50. It does seem to have a character about it. I believe @KitsuneAndy has one.

I've just had a look at Flickr in the 58/1.4 groups and I'd say as a portrait lens it looks pretty good; pictures other than that look like they could be taken with anything else.

Me neither, but some people like to show their manhood, oops, sorry, big lenses off. Did you see the Canon 2000mm beastie?

I took my 70-200mm TBH, but that's because I wanted to take some pics of the comicon folk and I don't have another 'portrait' lens. If I had an 85mm, or even 50mm I'd have just taken that.

Talking of portrait lenses that new Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art is HUGE. It looks big in pictures but in the flesh it looks even bigger :eek:

You have a 24-70
Can get better/easier subject isolation with the 70-200mm and knew the backgrounds were going to be cluttered and wanted as much blur as possible ;) I think it's a better lens than the 24-70mm for portraits.

Also, I was expecting many more photo opportunities/try outs but you live and learn :oops: :$

Yeah that as the one Rob, proper beastie. Canon had the monster that they built only 20 of (in the 80s?) on their stand, can't even remember what it was now but it was loooong.

The talk that I did do that was interesting was the use of Lightroom mobile. I haven't used that tbh but certainly benefits to it, especially showing/sharing pictures to people/clients.
I didnt go around the canon stand, I saw the long lenses but didn't take a closer look. Was it one of these?

http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/top-10-outrageous-lenses

Looks like the Zeiss 1700mm f4 wins the all time 'beast' award, try carrying that around at 256kg!

The Nikon 105 and Siggy 135 are large lenses too. They only had the siggy in a display unit so you couldn't try anyway.

One of the lads that we met up with had a 70-200 with him, he was struggling towards the end.

You mean you have a massive wanger and just took the lens for photos? :eek:
Lol, I wish ;) But I did only take the lens for photos, I think 90% of my comicon pics were at 200mm. As well as wanting to blur the background I'm a bit shy too :oops: :$

TBH I've never thought of it in that way though, if I did I'd have never bought the Olly and its 'toy' lenses :LOL:

The Nikon 105 and Siggy 135 are large lenses too. They only had the siggy in a display unit so you couldn't try anyway.

One of the lads that we met up with had a 70-200 with him, he was struggling towards the end.
Two words, sling strap ;)

If I do ever go again hopefully I'll have an 85mm by then :D

Got to say I was very impressed with the Tenba tripods, preferred them to manfrotto. Vanguard were nice too.

Also, Ive been creating a photo book using the saal software and got to see their actual photo books today. Top quality prints and 'paper' so will be pulling the trigger on one shortly, just need to swap a few photos around and add some text.

That Kodak 360 degree video camera thing is cool, I'm just not into video though.

Back