Nikon D750 & D780

yes loved the exhibition and yes bought an XT20.
had a play with the Nikon long glass and the D5,wonderful camera.
I think it won't be too long before you get the D500 ;)
I've been given the green light so watch this space ;)

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the XT20, did you find any bargains?

Do it! I think i would have both if i had the funds. Trouble is i take pics of a mixed bag so D750 suits. Although saying that I am doing more equestrian than anything else. Then saying that (again) a lot of people are asking for pics of their horses and portraits... For which the D750 suits more!
I'm getting to the point where I think it'll be handy to have two bodies, and therefore mixing up focal lengths gives me more options. Plus I have been finding the AF spread of the D750 more and more limiting recently for wildlife and so it would be nice to frame how I want. That being said, whilst I marvelled at the AF spread of the D500 I can't help but think they've gone too far. I can't think of any composition I'd do that would require the outer two columns of AF points, the subject would be too near to the edge of the frame I reckon. As a result I think they'd have been much better making the 'rule of thirds' AF points cross type rather than the outer edge ones. Nikon really should employ me in their R&D department :ROFLMAO: The spread of the D5 looks about perfect I reckon. Based on this I can imagine the D820 will be great as I'm sure it'll steal the AF system from the D5. I can definitely see myself considering the D820 after the price drops significantly (I don't know the launch price but I'm sure it'll be out of my range ;))

IMO the D500 autofocus is more accurate than the D750. 820 will be about 3k I expect.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Dont im trying to get him out of my memory and just remember her,lol
My mate had bought the xt2 last week,the only decent deal re fuji was free power grip and something else which i cant remember but it came to £300 but nothing on the xt20
I will like it i know but may use iridiant or aperture if i find LR being to painterly hahaha.or might just shoot jpegs .

Dont im trying to get him out of my memory and just remember her,lol
My mate had bought the xt2 last week,the only decent deal re fuji was free power grip and something else which i cant remember but it came to £300 but nothing on the xt20
I will like it i know but may use iridiant or aperture if i find LR being to painterly hahaha.or might just shoot jpegs .
If you don't do landscape's you'll be fine ;)

I've been given the green light so watch this space ;)

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the XT20, did you find any bargains?

I'm getting to the point where I think it'll be handy to have two bodies, and therefore mixing up focal lengths gives me more options. Plus I have been finding the AF spread of the D750 more and more limiting recently for wildlife and so it would be nice to frame how I want. That being said, whilst I marvelled at the AF spread of the D500 I can't help but think they've gone too far. I can't think of any composition I'd do that would require the outer two columns of AF points, the subject would be too near to the edge of the frame I reckon. As a result I think they'd have been much better making the 'rule of thirds' AF points cross type rather than the outer edge ones. Nikon really should employ me in their R&D department :ROFLMAO: The spread of the D5 looks about perfect I reckon. Based on this I can imagine the D820 will be great as I'm sure it'll steal the AF system from the D5. I can definitely see myself considering the D820 after the price drops significantly (I don't know the launch price but I'm sure it'll be out of my range ;))

How did you find the ergonomics of the D500 Toby?, I find it very similar to my D810 which you couldn't get on with, IIRC.

Also, how do you find the D750 limiting for wildlife, what wildlife do you shoot?.. as I only see you posting zoo animals and wouldn't have thought they would be challenging for the D750:confused:....Genuine question as I have never been to a zoo as an adult with a camera.

Last edited:
How did you find the ergonomics of the D500 Toby?, I find it very similar to my D810 which you couldn't get on with, IIRC.

Also, how do you find the D750 limiting for wildlife, what wildlife do you shoot?.. as I only see you posting zoo animals and wouldn't have thought they would be challenging for the D750:confused:....Genuine question as I have never been to a zoo as an adult with a camera.
Ergonomics were better than I remember tbh, but last time I only handled the body and this time it had a lens on so maybe it was simply that. It's not the AF that's the issue per se, but obviously with moving subjects you can't focus/recompose so I have to frame using the available AF points knowing that I'll have to crop in post to get the composition I want. Not a biggie, just an excuse for a new toy ;)

Ergonomics were better than I remember tbh, but last time I only handled the body and this time it had a lens on so maybe it was simply that. It's not the AF that's the issue per se, but obviously with moving subjects you can't focus/recompose so I have to frame using the available AF points knowing that I'll have to crop in post to get the composition I want. Not a biggie, just an excuse for a new toy ;)

I found it to be ok in the hand, better than the 7000 series but worse than the 750 (IMO). Weight wise it was about the same, but its quite a chunky camera - although smaller than the 800 series.

I still think about trying one again, but I can't afford both bodies so its one or the other! The AF system would probably be the biggest benefit - was taking pics of the dogs and there were quite a few missed focus shots (although they might have been me).

I found it to be ok in the hand, better than the 7000 series but worse than the 750 (IMO). Weight wise it was about the same, but its quite a chunky camera - although smaller than the 800 series.

I still think about trying one again, but I can't afford both bodies so its one or the other! The AF system would probably be the biggest benefit - was taking pics of the dogs and there were quite a few missed focus shots (although they might have been me).
Do you have your camera set to focus or release in AF-C? I've always had set to focus but someone told me that release was better. I tried it at my last zoo outing and got quite a number of missed focus shots whereas normally I don't get any. Of course it probably took shots that it wouldn't have if it was set to focus but I've now set mine back to focus priority as I don't see the point in having a bunch of missed focus shots, I'd rather it just not bother taking the shot ;)

Do you have your camera set to focus or release in AF-C? I've always had set to focus but someone told me that release was better. I tried it at my last zoo outing and got quite a number of missed focus shots whereas normally I don't get any. Of course it probably took shots that it wouldn't have if it was set to focus but I've now set mine back to focus priority as I don't see the point in having a bunch of missed focus shots, I'd rather it just not bother taking the shot ;)

Errrrr.... pass, not changed it so what ever it was set too from the factory. I know I played with it on the last body, but cant rememeber which one I ended up using! I think it was just more me! The ones I posted looked ok I think, but there were ones inbetween those that were missed focus comepletly.

That's the hammer for a new toy. I remember telling Clare the D750 wasn't good for landscapes and the D810 would make it much easier.:D

I find the D500 a lot easier for me with the toggle switch for moving the AF points around, with my FUBAR;) body, so hopefully it would be a benefit to you. I have put on 10k actuations in the couple of months or so I have had it, I have owned loads of cameras, but never put that amount on any of them in that space of time. As for AF it just nails it.

Will see what the D820/760 bring before deciding if I want to keep the D810, as it's seeing little use at present.

That's how I set mine up - can't see the point of it deliberately taking an out of focus shot

Always used release on my Nikon cameras..........I remember reading a comment on release/focus a few years ago and the feeling was if you have release set, you're deciding if it has hit focus and not the camera. Never used focus since. Understand your comment but there would be a time when you could have had a shot but the camera thought it was OOF and wouldn't let you fire the shutter. Memory is cheap these days, so whats the cost, your time I suppose going through a bit more PP.

Think I might wait to see what the D760 brings before jumping ship to the D500... well thats my thoughts for the next hour or so!

Using back button focus, AF-C and fire on release is good for focus and recompose. I only use release on focus for macro/close-up where I set the focus distance in AF-S, press the shutter release and move the camera until focus is attained and it fires.

That's the hammer for a new toy. I remember telling Clare the D750 wasn't good for landscapes and the D810 would make it much easier.:D

I find the D500 a lot easier for me with the toggle switch for moving the AF points around, with my FUBAR;) body, so hopefully it would be a benefit to you. I have put on 10k actuations in the couple of months or so I have had it, I have owned loads of cameras, but never put that amount on any of them in that space of time. As for AF it just nails it.

Will see what the D820/760 bring before deciding if I want to keep the D810, as it's seeing little use at present.
So true :LOL:

Always used release on my Nikon cameras..........I remember reading a comment on release/focus a few years ago and the feeling was if you have release set, you're deciding if it has hit focus and not the camera. Never used focus since. Understand your comment but there would be a time when you could have had a shot but the camera thought it was OOF and wouldn't let you fire the shutter. Memory is cheap these days, so whats the cost, your time I suppose going through a bit more PP.
Yeah, I can understand that train of thought and that's why I tried it. I just found it irritating though ;)

Think I might wait to see what the D760 brings before jumping ship to the D500... well thats my thoughts for the next hour or so!
I'm certainly not jumping ship, it's a complement rather than replacement. I couldn't cope without FF ;)

Bonus from the day job this month.

I can hear the 105 calling my name

Nice! My bonus is not due until June and will not find out how much until April!

What 1.4g's do you have? Just the 58 at the moment?

Last edited:
Nice! My bonus is not due until June and will not find out how much until April!

What 1.4g's do you have? Just the 58 at the moment?

Yeah, just the 58.

I will upgrade my 35 and 85 eventually. But I'll get more out of the 105 for now. the 1.8s are good anyway

So true :LOL:

Yeah, I can understand that train of thought and that's why I tried it. I just found it irritating though ;)

I'm certainly not jumping ship, it's a complement rather than replacement. I couldn't cope without FF ;)

I do like FF a lot, but everytime I miss an action shot I blame the D750... however its probably more my skills rather than the cameras lack of!

I do like FF a lot, but everytime I miss an action shot I blame the D750... however its probably more my skills rather than the cameras lack of!
It's very easy to blame gear, and I've fallen into that trap. I'm not convinced the D500 will get any more shots that the D750 tbh, but until I've used one properly I can't say for sure. If it is better it's not going to be leaps and bounds. Lens plays a vital role too.

It's very easy to blame gear, and I've fallen into that trap. I'm not convinced the D500 will get any more shots that the D750 tbh, but until I've used one properly I can't say for sure. If it is better it's not going to be leaps and bounds. Lens plays a vital role too.

Lens and light! The pic of Bertie (the dog) were hit and miss, but always find subjects running at you are harder to get more hits with.

They were with the 70-200 F4 so that should be ok at getting the shots! Need to check settings as it was just a moment of capture and didn't have time to check any settings!

I agree,dont see the point in missed shots so focus priority is my choice too,mind you i dont have a D750 but its what I'd choose as on the lower end bodies you cant choose but its default focus priority

So here is another newbie question that @snerkler you might be able to answer...

After deciding that the 70-200 2.8 was too heavy and not giving it a real test (remorse!) i have a question.

Will the 2.8 focus and faster or more accurately than the F4?

So here is another newbie question that @snerkler you might be able to answer...

After deciding that the 70-200 2.8 was too heavy and not giving it a real test (remorse!) i have a question.

I'd have thought no to speed, F2.8 means a bigger element to move generally.

Although, F2.8 will be able to focus more accurately in lower light than the F4 will

Lens and light! The pic of Bertie (the dog) were hit and miss, but always find subjects running at you are harder to get more hits with.

They were with the 70-200 F4 so that should be ok at getting the shots! Need to check settings as it was just a moment of capture and didn't have time to check any settings!
Things coming towards you are the most demanding on AF-C/tracking I believe.

I can't answer that tbh without trying both. The light will be better with the f2.8 but the weight could be a disadvantage as already mentioned. I'll see if I can find anything conclusive.

Can't do anything just yet anyway - I have the 58mm on loan until Sunday. Interetsted to see what results I get!

Interested to see what you think. It's an odd lens, in that it hasn't really got much of a following from many pros. There's a few on here that like it but in general, it's largely not been taken up.

Its going to be my next lens but that won't be until next year now unless six numbers come up soon.

Yeah, just the 58.

I will upgrade my 35 and 85 eventually. But I'll get more out of the 105 for now. the 1.8s are good anyway

I find the difference between 85 and 105 not much, maybe one or the other. It looks a lovely lens but I think the 85 is more useful for me. Wonder if they will upgrade the 135.

My bonus this year isn't going to change anything and our wedding will have to take priority. Maybe next year could be better, here's to hoping.

Did I read somewhere that canon have upgraded their 35L again? Only a couple of years after the mk2, that would be an extremely short timescale between those reiterations.

Interested to see what you think. It's an odd lens, in that it hasn't really got much of a following from many pros. There's a few on here that like it but in general, it's largely not been taken up.

Its going to be my next lens but that won't be until next year now unless six numbers come up soon.

Got it with me now. Doesn't look too special but will see.

And it will be up for sale soon... and indeed there is no box (yes same person), but will make one for it haha

Way out of my budget!

Back