Nikon D750 & D780

Got it with me now. Doesn't look too special but will see.

And it will be up for sale soon... and indeed there is no box (yes same person), but will make one for it haha

Way out of my budget!
Interested to hear your thoughts, particularly wide open and the AF.

Interested to hear your thoughts, particularly wide open and the AF.

Will get some pics and post them up. Its no speed demon in the AF department, I would say about the same as the 50 1.4g. 1.8g is the quickest of the 3.

Rendering looks nice from the very brief shots I have taken, but will take it for a proper run over the weekend.

I bit the bullet today and paid for the Tamron 150-600 G2 grey market. [emoji33]

I bit the bullet today and paid for the Tamron 150-600 G2 grey market. [emoji33]
Good man (y). I look forward to seeing your pics with it.

So it appears that Sony have stopped supplying certain sensors to other manufacturers (probably old news :LOL:), I wonder if this means that we will see lower DR (a la D5) and poorer noise handling in future Nikons? Maybe this is why the D820 and D760 have taken so long to come out. I think they need to make sure sensor performance is top notch (which I'm pretty sure it will be) otherwise they'll fall even further behind Canon. Whether it'll be an improvement on current Nikons is very doubtful though.

Last edited:
So it appears that Sony have stopped supplying certain sensors to other manufacturers (probably old news :LOL:), I wonder if this means that we will see lower DR (a la D5) and poorer noise handling in future Nikons? Maybe this is why the D820 and D760 have taken so long to come out. I think they need to make sure sensor performance is top notch (which I'm pretty sure it will be) otherwise they'll fall even further behind Canon. Whether it'll be an improvement on current Nikons is very doubtful though.

Maybe they`re gonna use Samsung FF sensors ...
Poached from tech radar
As Nikon uses Sony sensors in its cameras it seems likely that the D820 (also possibly called the D850) will have a 42MP sensor or as a recent rumor on Nikon Rumors suggests, 46MP, although perhaps there will be a new, higher-resolution chip – Samsung is claimed to have developed a full-frame sensor, and if the rumors are true that Nikon has bought Samsung's camera technology, we could be in for a surprise.

Interested to see what you think. It's an odd lens, in that it hasn't really got much of a following from many pros. There's a few on here that like it but in general, it's largely not been taken up.

Its going to be my next lens but that won't be until next year now unless six numbers come up soon.

David Yarrow uses the 58mm 1.4 for wildlife along with the 24mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4. It turns out for a longer focal length he only uses the 200mm f2 or 300mm f2.8. His motto seems to be 'you have to be close or there's no point'. I remember him saying this at his talk last year at the Photography Show (I didn't see him this year) and I thought it was crazy he used 24-54mm instead of the long focal lengths most wildlife photographers crave. I've taken this on board since and have to say Ive started to love using my 70-200 for wildlife (it isn't in his ball park of 24-58mm) to the point where it's probably used more than my 200-400.

If you are interested this is quite a nice write up from him:

https://nikoninframe.co.uk/ambassador/david-yarrow

Last edited:
Maybe they`re gonna use Samsung FF sensors ...
Poached from tech radar
i dont think ive seen" rumor, possibly, perhaps and suggests etc." used so much in one sentence. i am surprised they didn't add a winking smiley to really cover themselves. :D

David Yarrow uses the 58mm 1.4 for wildlife along with the 24mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4. It turns out for a longer focal length he only uses the 200mm f2 or 300mm f2.8. His motto seems to be 'you have to be close or there's no point'. I remember him saying this at his talk last year at the Photography Show (I didn't see him this year) and I thought it was crazy he used 24-54mm instead of the long focal lengths most wildlife photographers crave. I've taken this on board since and have to say Ive started to love using my 70-200 for wildlife (it isn't in his ball park of 24-58mm) to the point where it's probably used more than my 200-400.

After reading that article it makes a lot more sense. I personally don't feel that is wildlife photography but that's my take on it all. Yes he maybe an award winning photographer but with the smell baiting of camera boxes he is no better than these heroes that use kingfisher dive pools and claim that have a perfect kingfisher dive shot.

That's all well and good if you get the opportunity, but many of us are not fortunate enough to get the same opportunities and so reach is the only option. I have to say though I prefer the wider angle shots for safaris etc as it's great to get them in context rather than a close up 'portrait' which could well have been taken at a zoo. I'm with Kingo too, I'm not a big fan of 'staged' wildlife shots.

The 58 is quite slow to focus. I think for static wildlife its ok, but for anything you want instant AF, I'm not sure its the right kind of lens. But what do I know!

Not going to take this 58mm out of the house! Not worth the risk not being mine lol.

Im going to do some tests at home and share with you lovely folk.

One of the things I wanted to give a go now that I have the laptop is tethering. Only read up a little but some reports say that the D750 tethered is poor due to USB2. So, who has tried it and what's the best solution? Maybe @Sir SR has done so?

I do it all the time using SmartShooter. Info here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/smartshooter-tethering-software.623624/#post-7732381

Tethering does flatten batteries more quickly than usual - you'd probably want 2 or 3 for an all day shoot.

After reading that article it makes a lot more sense. I personally don't feel that is wildlife photography but that's my take on it all. Yes he maybe an award winning photographer but with the smell baiting of camera boxes he is no better than these heroes that use kingfisher dive pools and claim that have a perfect kingfisher dive shot.

That's all well and good if you get the opportunity, but many of us are not fortunate enough to get the same opportunities and so reach is the only option. I have to say though I prefer the wider angle shots for safaris etc as it's great to get them in context rather than a close up 'portrait' which could well have been taken at a zoo. I'm with Kingo too, I'm not a big fan of 'staged' wildlife shots.

I can understand your feelings of whether 'staged' photography is right or wrong, though I feel it's not black and white and is very grey. My take on it is whether it's causing harm to the animal, if they would become reliant on the food source and what effect it has on their natural behaviour or health by exerting unnecessary energy. I do feel the kingfisher dive tanks are beyond my limits as there is potential for the bird to be harmed hitting the edge of the tank whilst diving, and there is the use of live bait too. Baiting animals is very subjective, is providing nuts and seed to birds or squirrels wrong? Is the use of smell baiting any different to using whistles or calls? Are both wrong?

'Staged photography' is also very subjective, zoo's could be classed as staged as the animals have been put in an enclosure by humans, fed, have no chance to act as they would in the wild or leave if they wanted too. Often zoo's use food to bring the animals out for the visitor talks, is this baiting or staging? I'm not saying zoos are bad, some are very good but there are several that aren't (have you followed the news stories regarding south lakes and places like Sea World?). Whilst zoos aren't somewhere I visit often, I take it on a case by case basis. The same can be said for the subjects I use for my wildlife. I always avoid anywhere I know keeps white tigers as white tiger captive breeding has caused so many problems. I also avoid places where there are too many photographers, when I hear the stories of 40 odd photographers chasing deer around Richmond park or an owl location that had 44 photographers trying to photograph 10-20 Barn Owls and SEOs it makes me glad I'm not there. Spending Saturday morning by myself watching 6 hares running around a field far too far away for photos is much better than joining crowds of photographers getting the same image.

The way I see you have to make up your own mind regarding where your limits are and keep questioning if what you are doing it right. As long as the animals welfare is more important than the photograph that what matters.

Not going to take this 58mm out of the house! Not worth the risk not being mine lol.

Im going to do some tests at home and share with you lovely folk.

Why does your mate have all these exotic, top end lenses (unboxed obvs) and then sells them? It seems like there's one ever week or so! I wish I had his kinda money, I'm struggling to justify the 50mm :LOL:

Why does your mate have all these exotic, top end lenses (unboxed obvs) and then sells them? It seems like there's one ever week or so! I wish I had his kinda money, I'm struggling to justify the 50mm :LOL:

Ex wedding photographer who sadly has a deteriorating illness (and who was a bit of an addict/collector). The whole box thing is kinda wierd to me too, but i believe there was never any thought that they may not be able to take pics again.

There will be more lenses and bodies coming soon too inc a low mileage D750!

Last edited:
Seen some pics from previous boxing events that I'll be shooting, in a very dimly lit room with no specific light on the ring, going to be a tough one I think.

Seen some pics from previous boxing events that I'll be shooting, in a very dimly lit room with no specific light on the ring, going to be a tough one I think.

Sounds quite a challenge! What lens did you decide on? Be great to see your results.

Sounds quite a challenge! What lens did you decide on? Be great to see your results.
Will be taking both 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8. Will mainly use the 24-70mm but also hoping to get some close ups. Looking at previous events the pics won't be good, just a ring in the middle of a function room so poor background as well as lighting. Will be good experience though (y)

My 'shutter issue' D750 is on its way back to me (received by Nikon on the 10th).

Are there any checks I'll need to make?

Will they require a lab coat? :D

My 'shutter issue' D750 is on its way back to me (received by Nikon on the 10th).

Are there any checks I'll need to make?

Will they require a lab coat? :D
No reason to check anything unless you see an obvious issue when shooting. If you look for issues you will find them no matter how small they may be ;)

But if you need a lab coat......... ;)

No reason to check anything unless you see an obvious issue when shooting. If you look for issues you will find them no matter how small they may be ;)

But if you need a lab coat......... ;)
In that case I'll just stick a lens on and go shooting with it. But thanks for the offer. (y)

Well seeing as he might be getting a d500 I've just invested in a labcoat company as he might just through a few soon

Back