Nikon D750 & D780

They don't generally quote lead times. I had one repair back in a week but longest was 5 weeks, it's a lottery. I did speed the process up a little when my little one was born, stressing that I had to have it back for that. It did work and the lady was sympathetic. Guess it depends upon how much they have in at the time. You've also got to consider how many engineers may be off over Easter..

They don't generally quote lead times. I had one repair back in a week but longest was 5 weeks, it's a lottery. I did speed the process up a little when my little one was born, stressing that I had to have it back for that. It did work and the lady was sympathetic. Guess it depends upon how much they have in at the time. You've also got to consider how many engineers may be off over Easter..
and if they have enough spare shutters:eek:

and if they have enough spare shutters:eek:

Joking apart I wondered this too, if there really is an influx of 750s with the same issue/part replacement required I wonder if they are waiting on a slow boat from China to bring a new supply?

Joking apart I wondered this too, if there really is an influx of 750s with the same issue/part replacement required I wonder if they are waiting on a slow boat from China to bring a new supply?
there does seem to be a surprising ammount of problem shutters on the d750, and there must be a limited supply in each country so possible i guess. but you would hope there ordering system would keep stocks up to date

When they initially announced the recall you needed to register your camera for repair and then they notified you when the parts were in so that you can then send in your camera so I'm guessing by this that they don't keep a regular stock therefore it is feasible that if they had to diagnose your camera first they would then have to order the parts in which could be the delay I guess. Off course, I'm only surmising ;)

Getting really p**** off with Nikon now, 17 days since accepted my 'repair' quote for the shutter fault and rang today to be told 'oh sorry looks like you are now no.3 in the queue so although we would normally finish repairs in 10 days I 'hope' we may be able to get your camera back by the end of the week'

Very poor service considering I am paying and it's not a free repair of a known but not admitted fault with a VERY expensive bit of camera kit!

I gave in and phoned Nikon last Wednesday since my son's camera was still showing 'Awaiting assessment' a week after being delivered to them. I guess it had been overlooked as the lady sounded a bit surprised and went off-line for a minute.
When she came back she said it would be assessed in the next few days, although with the Easter weekend coming up it would of course be a bit longer, and asked if I needed it back by a certain date.
Sure enough on Tuesday morning it showed up on-line as having been assessed, however the link to the pdf file with details was not working! Fortunately they also emailed a copy, which I forwarded to Panamoz, and received the value of the estimate in my Paypal account almost immediately. If only Nikon were so quick!

When they initially announced the recall you needed to register your camera for repair and then they notified you when the parts were in so that you can then send in your camera so I'm guessing by this that they don't keep a regular stock therefore it is feasible that if they had to diagnose your camera first they would then have to order the parts in which could be the delay I guess. Off course, I'm only surmising ;)

What I would like to know is how many D750s that are NOT on the recall list have the exact same fault/repair needed that those that are on the recall list? Seems to be Nikon have done a great job of splitting the admittance of guilt to repair a bunch free of charge due to the adverse publicity of many users posting of the shutter issue and then left a load more out there that are now being stung for ~£200 bills to fix the exact same problem, certainly bad business practice if you ask me although as with any corporate giants they will get away with it as what other option does the user have other than class action lawsuits which lets face it not many people would be bothered to do!

What ironic comments buried amongst all this chat of failing D750's...
I know. You'd think those flexible ribbons connecting the screen would be made of stronger stuff.

Lol, why has someone gone to that much effort to put a D750 logo on what seems to be a DF?!!

It actually is made of chocolate :D

Went to bushy Park this morning, found a few nice things to photograph.
Actually, Egyptian goose and the babies are from my local common.
I've been told they are sharp photos but as I'm on my phone and they have had very little PP I can't tell.
Tamron 150-600 G2 used.
2017-04-19_04-55-43.jpg2017-04-19_04-55-31.jpg2017-04-19_04-55-24.jpg2017-04-19_04-34-09.jpg2017-04-19_04-35-27.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm not sure it would last taking a photo of in front of me lol

Haha it`s pretty old, and I couldn`t bring myself to eat it ;) Bloody thing was solid too :)

Went to bushy Park this morning, found a few nice things to photograph.
Actually, Egyptian goose and the babies are from my local common.
I've been told they are sharp photos but as I'm on my phone and they have had very little PP I can't tell.
Tamron 150-600 G2 used.
View attachment 100283View attachment 100284View attachment 100285View attachment 100286View attachment 100287
Nice pics. I wouldn't say they're particularly sharp tbh but not bad. 2's a bit soft.

What I would like to know is how many D750s that are NOT on the recall list have the exact same fault/repair needed that those that are on the recall list? Seems to be Nikon have done a great job of splitting the admittance of guilt to repair a bunch free of charge due to the adverse publicity of many users posting of the shutter issue and then left a load more out there that are now being stung for ~£200 bills to fix the exact same problem, certainly bad business practice if you ask me although as with any corporate giants they will get away with it as what other option does the user have other than class action lawsuits which lets face it not many people would be bothered to do!
Depends on how you view it tbh. Nikon clearly admitted a fault, and identified the ones they believed to be defective. I very much doubt they'd deliberately leave "a load more out there" as they would be even worse publicity than they've already had. Unfortunately shutters can fail, and as the D750 has had issues with the shutter it's easy to think that if you have one that fails it must be due to the recall fault. However, AFAIK the recall wasn't due to shutter failures and 'just' that they could cause banding under certain situations. I think people have associate shutter failures with the recall but I believe they are two separate things. It's not great that there has been a number of shutter faults documented on here though, and I think there's been the odd one on the D500 too.

So it does appear that Nikon's QC needs a serious shake-up but I don't believe that they've deliberately distributed faulty products.

Bit like me. My last d750 shutter failed within 3 days so that went back.

P119 of the manual - Raw slot 1/jpeg slot 2... Any particular incantations that are necessary to get this to work? I have it selected in "Role played by card in Slot 2." I was out shooting an event just now and thought I'd give it a try to see how the ooc jpegs looked compared to a raw file that I'd worked on. However, both cards recorded raw files. No jpegs to be found anywhere. Ideas?

Nice pics. I wouldn't say they're particularly sharp tbh but not bad. 2's a bit soft.
Thanks, like I said, I'm on the phone and not near a pc until end of the month [emoji20]

P119 of the manual - Raw slot 1/jpeg slot 2... Any particular incantations that are necessary to get this to work? I have it selected in "Role played by card in Slot 2." I was out shooting an event just now and thought I'd give it a try to see how the ooc jpegs looked compared to a raw file that I'd worked on. However, both cards recorded raw files. No jpegs to be found anywhere. Ideas?
You have to set file format (image quality) to RAW and jpeg ;)

Last edited:
Depends on how you view it tbh. Nikon clearly admitted a fault, and identified the ones they believed to be defective. I very much doubt they'd deliberately leave "a load more out there" as they would be even worse publicity than they've already had. Unfortunately shutters can fail, and as the D750 has had issues with the shutter it's easy to think that if you have one that fails it must be due to the recall fault. However, AFAIK the recall wasn't due to shutter failures and 'just' that they could cause banding under certain situations. I think people have associate shutter failures with the recall but I believe they are two separate things. It's not great that there has been a number of shutter faults documented on here though, and I think there's been the odd one on the D500 too.

So it does appear that Nikon's QC needs a serious shake-up but I don't believe that they've deliberately distributed faulty products.

Apologies if my post suggested they have deliberately distributed faulty products, my suggestion was more that they perhaps knew this was a bigger problem and by acknowledging a specific 'range' of serial numbers they would show willing to fix them but ultimately the range was much bigger and those not included would then have to pay up for the repairs rather than Nikon bearing the full cost.

It certainly seems usage alone isn't the cause of the failures, I know my 750 will be nowhere near some of the togs usage on here but failing just after a year does suggest even with relatively 'normal' use a lot of 750 owners would be well advised to get some form of extended warranty as long as the outlay is less than £190!!!!

Apologies if my post suggested they have deliberately distributed faulty products, my suggestion was more that they perhaps knew this was a bigger problem and by acknowledging a specific 'range' of serial numbers they would show willing to fix them but ultimately the range was much bigger and those not included would then have to pay up for the repairs rather than Nikon bearing the full cost.
It is possible that the range is bigger than they thought, in which case if I felt this way I'd be 'discussing' this with Nikon and suggesting that as they have a known shutter issue that they fix it as a goodwill gesture. But as I mentioned before the shutter recall was for banding, not shutter failure so I'm not exactly sure where you stand tbh.

It certainly seems usage alone isn't the cause of the failures, I know my 750 will be nowhere near some of the togs usage on here but failing just after a year does suggest even with relatively 'normal' use a lot of 750 owners would be well advised to get some form of extended warranty as long as the outlay is less than £190!!!!

Nikon's weak point does seem to be shutters, if you google you will see that numerous Nikon cameras have had shutter faults and err messages so it's not just the D750. I think the D750 has been highlighted as Nikon admitted a fault with the shutter, but as I've said a couple of times now that was due to banding. AFAIK they've not admitted a fault or recall due to err messages and/or shutter failures. Those that have had these messages and failures and also fell within the range of cameras with the banding issue have had their shutters replaced as part of the recall.

How old is your camera, I've forgotten? Warranties aren't set in stone per se and items should be fit for purpose and should last a 'reasonable' amount of time. If something fails within a period of time that it shouldn't you are sometimes entitled to a repair at no cost to yourself. I can't remember if this is with the store you bought it from, or the manufacturer but my instinct tells me that it's with the store. Citizens Advice will be able to help you further with this.

I'm not defending Nikon's inability to make robust shutters, but from Nikon's standpoint it is just an unfortunate fault rather than being related to the known shutter issue and will not see it as having more cameras than they were aware of having the known shutter fault. As you can see from this, there is no mention of err messages, lockups or failures.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 09.10.36.png

Now if you, or someone else could prove that the shutter failures and the banding/shading issue are/were related that would be a different matter and I would assume that you would be well within your right to a replacement. That being said, I would still argue that the camera hasn't lasted anywhere near the life-expectancy (the shutter is rated to 150,000 actuations) and ask for it to be replaced under goodwill/under your rights as a consumer. Again, with the latter point Citizens Advice will be able to help you further. Certainly worth pursuing imo, £190 is a lot to fork out.

Great post and I dont disagree with any of the points you have made! I would also comment that Panamoz have reimbursed me for the costs from Nikon and my comments/observations are solely based on the variability with fixing the 'issues' at cost or no cost, as you rightly say however proving a camera has an inherent fault is a far different case than suggesting it may be :)

And as if by magic I receive a call from Nikon to let me know camera fixed and will be with me tomorrow! Keeping everything crossed that all will be ok when its returned!

I dont suppose anyone knows whether all menu/shooting changes made are kept or do they restore everything to factory settings when doing repairs etc.?

And as if by magic I receive a call from Nikon to let me know camera fixed and will be with me tomorrow! Keeping everything crossed that all will be ok when its returned!

I dont suppose anyone knows whether all menu/shooting changes made are kept or do they restore everything to factory settings when doing repairs etc.?
Think they're reset but can't remember for sure tbh.

Hind sight's a wonderful thing but it's always good practice to save your settings before you send your camera off for service/repair.

Mine came back with everything reset. Including the date and time.

Hi everyone, tinkered with the idea of a D750 in the past and tinkering again.

Looking at D750 w 24-70 2.8 ED combo from Panamoz, around £2.4k

Bit scared reading through the last few pages on here which is mostly discussing recalls and broken parts rather than praising the camera.
Are newly distributed cameras free from the recalls associated with the D750? Are you all experiencing issues with older versions of the camera or is anyone experiencing issues with a more recent purchase.

Cheers

Hi everyone, tinkered with the idea of a D750 in the past and tinkering again.

Looking at D750 w 24-70 2.8 ED combo from Panamoz, around £2.4k

Bit scared reading through the last few pages on here which is mostly discussing recalls and broken parts rather than praising the camera.
Are newly distributed cameras free from the recalls associated with the D750? Are you all experiencing issues with older versions of the camera or is anyone experiencing issues with a more recent purchase.

Cheers
The trouble with the internet is that you get a very skewed view as very people will go online to praise something but as soon as there's a fault it's publicised. I must admit, I would think twice about buying a new model until it's been out for a while since my D750 had both recalls and Nikon 'broke' it in the process. However, the replacement that they finally sent has been flawless (touch wood) and I would hesitate to buy another.
If you don't need VR then the original 24-70mm f2.8 combo would save you a bit of cash (y)

Back