Nikon D750 & D780

So i need to take my d750 out this weekend for a good test run, barely used it yet due to the weather and other commitments.

All i've done so far is changed the camera to raw and added the beep for focus. From a picture quality side of things, anything else you recommend doing/changing?
Have it set to 14 bit RAW rather than 12. There's a hell of a lot of settings in the D750, but none make a difference to the outright IQ (for RAW shooting) off the top of my head, other than shooting RAW and 14 bit. You can personalise WB and global metering exposure comps to your hearts content, but I wouldn't do that unless you really feel the need. Also, I would turn off d-lighting as this only effects the jpeg and as such the image you get on the viewfinder can be misleading. I turn off all NR too. I'm pretty sure this doesn't effect RAW anyway but better safe than sorry ;)

As for BBF, that's purely preference ;)

So i need to take my d750 out this weekend for a good test run, barely used it yet due to the weather and other commitments.

All i've done so far is changed the camera to raw and added the beep for focus. From a picture quality side of things, anything else you recommend doing/changing?
Set the okay button to show your focus point at 100%, and amend the record button at the top to enable you to change the iso.

Happy shooting...

Set the okay button to show your focus point at 100%, and amend the record button at the top to enable you to change the iso.

Happy shooting...

Thanks - ill do these recommendations later

Quick question regarding this.

If you were to focus and recompose, then hit the OK button, would it take you to the where the focus point was when recomposing or what the focus point was original. I assume where the focus point was when recomposing (when the picture was taken). Hope that makes sense.

Thanks - ill do these recommendations later

Quick question regarding this.

If you were to focus and recompose, then hit the OK button, would it take you to the where the focus point was when recomposing or what the focus point was original. I assume where the focus point was when recomposing (when the picture was taken). Hope that makes sense.
Takes you tp the initial focus point before recomposing IIRC. It's a while since I've done any focus recomposing though so could be getting confused with my Olly ;)

Takes you tp the initial focus point before recomposing IIRC. It's a while since I've done any focus recomposing though so could be getting confused with my Olly ;)
So for example

I lock focus on the eye with middle focus point, i then move then recompose them to the right side of the frame, so the center focus point is now on the ear, i take the picture.

The OK button would take me to the ear rather than the eye?.

So for example

I lock focus on the eye with middle focus point, i then move then recompose them to the right side of the frame, so the center focus point is now on the ear, i take the picture.

(y)

So for example

Yeah, that's right. I was thinking differently initially, but yes I'm 99% sure it would take you to where the AF point ended up, in this case the ear. As photogwannabe says the eye should still be the main area of sharpness not the ear, assuming of course your technique is good and you'e not using AF-C ;)

Lovely shots although looking a bit brighter this time, how far away are you from them?

Lovely shots although looking a bit brighter this time, how far away are you from them?
10-12 ft or so. These are just a slight crop of the original at 600mm. They maybe look a bit washed out due to the misty conditions yesterday. Off down this morning again for a couple of hours before work.

Seen a used Sigma 50mm art for £465, very tempting ;)

Some great images there Phil, worth the effort. I've thought of doing the same but never got around to setting up the perches.

These are lovely Phil. The haze could easily be sorted out in Lr and PS.

Some great images there Phil, worth the effort. I've thought of doing the same but never got around to setting up the perches.

Thanks Rob. I am hoping that the young fledge in the next couple of days, I would love to get a few shots of the parents feeding them. We are away for 3 nights next weekend though and it will probably happen then.

How does the D750 compare to the D7200 in terms of noise? Is there a major difference?

Specifically I am talking about Astrophotography.

I have a D90 at the moment and I think for 90% of my photos a D7200 would be enough, but the D750 sounds very good in low light situations. I want to do more Milky Way photography specifically.

How does the D750 compare to the D7200 in terms of noise? Is there a major difference?

I have a D90 at the moment and I think for 90% of my photos a D7200 would be enough, but the D750 sounds very good in low light situations. I want to do more Milky Way photography specifically.

Ian,

Sorry have not tried the d7200, but the difference in low light between the d90 and D750 is massive.

I have some shots which were way under exposed and have managed to pull them back in LR, had it been the D90 they would be deleted.

Thanks

In 'normal' shooting I found a noticeable difference between the D750 and D7200, probably about a stop or so as mentioned already. The D750 spoils you and it's not until around 1000 ISO until you start noticing noise.

I had 7200 for a short while but did not like the noise. Otherwise it is a good camera.
D750 is noticeably better IMO.

Thanks all it's just a big financial commitment for me so I want to make sure it will be worth it

Back