Nikon D750 & D780

I'd try it out at home, shouldn't really struggle at that. The 50 1.8G excels above 2.5, I usually shoot at that with mine. At 2.8 it's as very sharp.

Actually quite pleased with the shots it has taken. My laptop is on its last legs and editing them has taken far longer than it should!

Facebook sucks arse. I used to upload pics to my photography page and it allowed you to tag people and these pics used to appear in people's timeline.

No longer the case! The pics appear in the person's photos but not on timeline. Not ideal when you want to share pics from your page!

Just checked on a photo where it was refusing to focus -

Aperture Priority -
F2
1/400
iso-6400

Another one the auto iso went up to 12800 and shot at 1/200 - even though I had it sent to 1/400 minimum. This was as 2.2 though.

Probably more user error I guess - should have gone to 1.8. Maybe the filter had a bad effect, or maybe the 50mm just didn't like me today!

I only took my camera as the Bride requested me too - so thought I would just take the 50mm. Actually found it a bit tight 80% of the time!!
As mentioned not that dark really. Was the subject heavily backlit as this can cause AF issues?

Just checked on a photo where it was refusing to focus -

Aperture Priority -
F2
1/400
iso-6400

Another one the auto iso went up to 12800 and shot at 1/200 - even though I had it sent to 1/400 minimum. This was as 2.2 though.

Probably more user error I guess - should have gone to 1.8. Maybe the filter had a bad effect, or maybe the 50mm just didn't like me today!

I only took my camera as the Bride requested me too - so thought I would just take the 50mm. Actually found it a bit tight 80% of the time!!

Yeah I find the 35mm a much more versatile focal length for weddings

So, the old debate. Second hand or grey?

Been looking at a few of the second hand options available from MPB and some of the serial numbers show affected by recall but no information as to whether they've been updated and fixed by Nikon. Grey price from from Panamoz and e-infinity looks good but never bought grey before.

Go grey. Panamoz warranty appears to be very good. Lots of good reviews on here from people who have had to use it.

So, the old debate. Second hand or grey?

Been looking at a few of the second hand options available from MPB and some of the serial numbers show affected by recall but no information as to whether they've been updated and fixed by Nikon. Grey price from from Panamoz and e-infinity looks good but never bought grey before.

Go grey. Panamoz.

Been looking at that Sigma 135 again. Disappointed with the price point, but then everything has rocketed. You can pick up the Nikon 105 1.4E for the same price grey. So, which is best?

It's not likely this year as need to pay my mpb off, maybe there will be some price deflation on the siggy but can't see the Nikon falling.

I loved the 135 when I had the canon and the fl is perfect for chasing kids when they're a bit older than mine currently are, perfect for next year.

I handled the 105 at the photo show, it's a beast. There's been a few early early reports of some AF inconsistencies already with the siggy but that's almost a given. I'd probably be prepared to spend a day driving over to WEX to test a few samples and I'd def get the dock.

In all honesty I would probably go with the Nikon.

Based on?

The actually difference between 85 and 105 is 23%. I'd definitely ship the 70-200 in to help fund and so leaves me a tad short in reach, but then I don't really shoot anything long these days. It's nice to isolate with a long FL but reality is I don't use the long lens much at all.

Was going to have a trip out to hamerton zoo this morning, glad the weather forecast put us off

Facebook sucks arse. I used to upload pics to my photography page and it allowed you to tag people and these pics used to appear in people's timeline.

No longer the case! The pics appear in the person's photos but not on timeline. Not ideal when you want to share pics from your page!

Seriously? That's a massive change by Facebook if so. Forcing more and more people to boost posts. I always tagged bride and grooms to help share my page and did so only a couple of weeks ago, will be gutted if it's the case.

Seriously? That's a massive change by Facebook if so. Forcing more and more people to boost posts. I always tagged bride and grooms to help share my page and did so only a couple of weeks ago, will be gutted if it's the case.

You can still tag them and they still appear in their photos but they do not appear on timelines.

Wouldn't hold my breath

You're probably right. I reckon a great combo would be 24/35/58/105. Reading the reviews on the 105 the sharpness is insane, much better than the 85 1.4. Strangely I've been using my 85 quite a bit these last few weeks and it's no slouch, here's some from yesterday..Makes me want that 105 now. Haven't gone to town on these, just very quick edits. LR seems stable now too following that update

34844124481_bf77ae5d47_b.jpg

34976321875_638efbd7b5_b.jpg

34976321795_1543872d38_b.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know the 105 f1.4 so I just had a look at some reviews. Oh and i look at camera price buster.... Ouch my eyes hurt now!
The size of that beast too for a prime!

I didn't know the 105 f1.4 so I just had a look at some reviews. Oh and i look at camera price buster.... Ouch my eyes hurt now!
The size of that beast too for a prime!

It's a lot of dough for sure, £1400 at Panamoz. But it's that special lens. A bit OTT for me really but it's the kind of lens that I would have for 20 years. I have what I need really and so any additions have to add something extra. It's a while off yet, must admit.

Had a quick read on FM, it's fuelling the 105 GAS! Wow!

I don't think I could warrant an 85 and 104 1.4, they're too close in FL. The ideal for me would be 35/58/105 I reckon. I'd probably get the 24/85 1.8's to plug those gaps but no necessity to begin with. Might look at chopping in the 85 & 70-200 to fund a 105. Get a used 58 somewhere too.

I couldn't justify taking such a large hit selling my 85 though. The comparison between the two on the sigma thread was suprising though. When both framed the same there was little difference in the images, the drop of and sharpness just being higher on the sigma.
The faster af of the sigma would also be an advantage

Last edited:
Theres good threads on both in the FM forums.
I've been eyeing them both up and wasn't sure which i would prefer. though a lot ditched there 85 when they got the 105 as it was so close a FL.

Haven't had time to look at the siggy thread yet but seems siggy is slightly sharper but Nikon wins on bokeh and rendition. Which are you going for?

Back