Nikon D750 & D780

It's a young alpaca that's just been clipped!

Last edited:
Fuming tonight! Copying my files over off the Mac drive to my RAID and the latter goes down mid way, seem to have lost some of the recent stuff I've done FFS. No where to be found after a few searches. Need a beer!

What profile are any of you guys using for processing RAW in Lightroom, sticking with the adobe profile or one of the camera profiles?

Still trying to get to grips with how to process the RAW files from the D750 :)

i use vivid

Phew! Thankfully haven't formatted the second card so i do have a copy of the missing files.

Need to be more careful. Relying on the Mac drive when I bought a small drive for a second back up, getting lazy not using it!

Last edited:
What profile are any of you guys using for processing RAW in Lightroom, sticking with the adobe profile or one of the camera profiles?

Still trying to get to grips with how to process the RAW files from the D750 :)
Mainly camera standard, but I do occasionally use adobe standard as it can look nicer for certain things.

i use vivid
Eewww ;)

One of my friends at the local camera club had a nice little feature on his d7000.

On the playback of the image it had the overlay of the focus area and a red square where the focus was at the time the picture was taken. I asked him how he did it but he wasn't sure and said it's always been there?

Anyone know how to enable this?

One of my friends at the local camera club had a nice little feature on his d7000.

On the playback of the image it had the overlay of the focus area and a red square where the focus was at the time the picture was taken. I asked him how he did it but he wasn't sure and said it's always been there?

Anyone know how to enable this?

Camera isn't in front of me, but I think it's under playback options. You can tick it to show extra information and then use the up/down on the d-pad to scroll through information when viewing an image.

2 Videographers at the wedding on Saturday, lots of potential for getting in each others way :LOL:

Camera isn't in front of me, but I think it's under playback options. You can tick it to show extra information and then use the up/down on the d-pad to scroll through information when viewing an image.

That's the one, good for setting blinkies and histogram up as well if you want that on image review.

50mm f1.8g arrived today, Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX DG coming tomorrow, just need a wider prime now and I'm all set,......... until the next bout of GAS :LOL:

50mm f1.8g arrived today, Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX DG coming tomorrow, just need a wider prime now and I'm all set,......... until the next bout of GAS :LOL:
Go for the new 28mm then you can get your "white coat" on...:p

Not really sure about this one, missing the eye contact. But making a conscious choice to shoot more 'headshots' and landscape orientation with the 85mm.

Amelia summer II by Tim G, on Flickr

I personally don't feel every shot must have eye contact... I made a conscious decision to step away from head shots and longer focal lengths... It's nice to have a few of them but I think it's nicer to have shots where people/kids are doing something.

When someone looks back at the image they may think to themselves oh that looked fun, i remember that day rather than oh another photo of my head with no context. I try force myself to remember this every time I pick up my camera and vary things as much as possible.

I guess if you don't have many head shots you use the opposite strategy. :D

Last edited:
I personally don't feel every shot must have eye contact... I made a conscious decision to step away from head shots and longer focal lengths... It's nice to have a few of them but I think it's nicer to have shots where people/kids are doing something.

When someone looks back at the image they may think to themselves oh that looked fun, i remember that day rather than oh another photo of my head with no context. I try force myself to remember this every time I pick up my camera and vary things as much as possible.

I guess if you don't have many head shots you use the opposite strategy. :D

I do wonder how I'll view the images of my daughter several years from now. Taking a fair few, you miss the connection most of the time and like most of your own photography, you don't seem to appreciate much. Or am I the minority?

I do wonder how I'll view the images of my daughter several years from now. Taking a fair few, you miss the connection most of the time and like most of your own photography, you don't seem to appreciate much. Or am I the minority?

True. It's like were recording moments to cherish but missing the whole idea somewhat. It's difficult. Take a few then put it down. Have some fun.

Yeah I definitely have a lot of full length stuff of Amelia so trying to mix it up the other way around from @twist

I often think the same about looking back, my wife loves the shots of Amelia but I can always see room for improvement and so on. And yeah it's important to take some shots then put the camera away and that's something I'm VERY conscious of and will even leave it at home if I know it'll get in the way of 'our time'. Especially if we're going somewhere special or we haven't been to that place before. May miss a few moments but not all of them need to be made into photographs.

And the next thing I'm going to do is leave the 85mm at home and take the 35 or 50 and (maybe ...) try not to shoot wide open. All my portraits are 85 @ 1.8.

I have my favourite little spots around the house etc that I have done to death now and so need to mix it up a bit really. I fall into the 'been doing this stuff too much' category and so get a little bored of rinse and repeat. Trying to look for different angles with it now but not so easy. Trips out add the variety but like you, very conscious of not being the guy constantly with a camera in hand.

I bumped into one of my other halves friends last night whilst taking Rosie for a little spin on her trike, first thing she said was, "taking pictures?" I didn't even have my camera with
me lol

Another Macro of a teeny spider in my garden. The body was no more than 10mm, I guess the head was less than 1mm :eek: No idea what type of spider it is?

DSC_4145-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Just bought myself a lens hood for my 35mm f1.8. Didn't come with one from MPB and they offered £20 refund as it was described as being with it.
Looking around they're £40 odd quid on online stores and eBay, just found it on the Nikon online shop for £34.99 delivered. (y)

I'm really chuffed with the 50mm f1.8, I think it works really well. Can only imagine how nice the 58mm f1.4 is :D

Another Macro of a teeny spider in my garden. The body was no more than 10mm, I guess the head was less than 1mm :eek: No idea what type of spider it is?

DSC_4145-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr
You are banned from entering this from the AVF photo comp. :D

Fantastic image.

Make me realise what the 105mm is capable of as a macro lens (i know you used a different lens to the 28-105mm i have). I always though i needed a 200mm+ for this type of shots - absolutely not. Thanks for sharing.

You are banned from entering this from the AVF photo comp. :D

Fantastic image.

Make me realise what the 105mm is capable of as a macro lens (i know you used a different lens to the 28-105mm i have). I always though i needed a 200mm+ for this type of shots - absolutely not. Thanks for sharing.
Haha, thanks very much. I still can't decide whether to clone out the leaf on the right. I've still not taken 'the' shot yet though, but got another week or so ;)

It's a hairybity
I didn't even dare google that to see if it's right :LOL: I think I've found it though, I think it's a spotted wolf spider (y)

Last edited:
Sigma 85mm's arrived, praying it plays nice with my D750 ;)

Haha, thanks very much. I still can't decide whether to clone out the leaf on the right. I've still not taken 'the' shot yet though, but got another week or so ;)

I didn't even dare google that to see if it's right :LOL: I think I've found it though, I think it's a spotted wolf spider (y)
I don't mind the leaf. Although it is a bit of a distraction it does cover part of the leg.

How big was the spider?

Back