Nikon D750 & D780

enjoying this weather [emoji3]
Its 30 degs min every day now and for the next few months and getting hotter, been into the lower mountain range Today, was a breath of fresh air, min 25 lol

Dads day ritual then, fair play to the missus for nailing focus on the 58 wide open, I'll
forgive the foot chop [emoji3] I think this spot has more potential at some point.. (there's a dodgy clone that needs sorting if I can be bothered at some point)

35351953726_1835004011_b.jpg

Last edited:
For weddings, push it and try to keep it pretty bright. For my own stuff, tend to go with the dark and moody look.

The 58 doing its magic:

Tom-Amelia-2 by Andy Dane, on Flickr

Lovin that, and lovin the 58 too. There is definitely something about it, also finding it sharper than I guess I was expecting from the many reviews. The rendering is lovely. That shot yesterday would have been slightly better with the 85 and better framing but just wanted a wide open shot with the 58.

Any tips?

Currently in the same position.

Definitely a time thing Mark. Keep faffing, it's a good part of the process (excuse the pun) and you'll settle on something when you do. Depends whether you like subtle or very stylised, that's a good starting point.

I've only really settled on a few options myself and the subject usually dictates what. If I started doing landscape I'd probably start all over [emoji20]

Last edited:
Lovin that, and lovin the 58 too. There is definitely something about it, also finding it sharper than I guess I was expecting from the many reviews. The rendering is lovely. That shot yesterday would have been slightly better with the 85 and better framing but just wanted a wide open shot with the 58.
Yeah, it's hard to explain until you've shot with it for a while. But the images just "feel" different from it compared to the likes of the 50 Art

Definitely a time thing Mark. Keep faffing, it's a good part of the process (excuse the pun) and you'll settle on something when you do. Depends whether you like subtle or very stylised, that's a good starting point.

I've only really settled on a few options myself and the subject usually dictates what. If I started doing landscape I'd probably start all over [emoji20]
I find there's no one preset for everything though, do you guys find the same? I have my custom presets but more often than not each 'shoot' will require a bit of tweaking. Might be because I shoot all different kinds of stuff ;)

I find there's no one preset for everything though, do you guys find the same? I have my custom presets but more often than not each 'shoot' will require a bit of tweaking. Might be because I shoot all different kinds of stuff ;)

Yup. There's always a bit of a tweak needed here and there. Direct sun = too saturated; flat lighting = crap contrast; high ISO's = colour shifts etc etc. No one preset will do it all, just have to practice and learn to see what needs doing.

Tbh Nikon should sort that for nothing as a recall not just warranry.

Agree. It really is just a thin piece of plastic. Surely the only way it would get damaged is whilst putting the lens cap on. You'd think they could make it from a piece of aluminium, it would cost bugger all more in the grand scheme of it, for a premium lens.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I felt the need for another 85mm after not getting on with the f1.8G I had. (I do really, GAS...:rolleyes:). Nothing fancy, a used AF-D - but not f1.4 as it'll mostly be used at f2.2 or smaller.:D

It seems to focus OK and it's sharp enough for me.

What's up with the plastic bit coming off of the 58?

Every one I've found second hand seems to have this issue. Wonder how big a problem in use it is, I really fancy this but dropping that amount of cash on a lens that has bits peeling off it feels a bit :eek:

Every one I've found second hand seems to have this issue. Wonder how big a problem in use it is, I really fancy this but dropping that amount of cash on a lens that has bits peeling off it feels a bit :eek:

Agree. It's very poor tbh and will stop me from buying it. Buy it new and you'll lose even more than usual on the used market.

Agree. It's very poor tbh and will stop me from buying it. Buy it new and you'll lose even more than usual on the used market.

Waiting for one at the right price, but money burning holes in my pocket is dangerous :D

I bought mine from MPB as wanted the safety cushion to return if not happy. The plastic trim shouldn't be a deal breaker IMO. It's not much on the scheme of things, but agree with all the comments, shouldn't have the issue for what could probably be fixed for peanuts.

I will add that I don't think it's built overall as well as the other primes in that range, doesn't feel as substantial in hand, but the performance is what's critically important.

Last edited:
I bought mine from MPB as wanted the safety cushion to return if not happy. The plastic trim shouldn't be a deal breaker IMO. It's not much on the scheme of things, but agree with all the comments, shouldn't have the issue.

Agreed, it's just a bit meh really. I see MPB have got another in, but says a minor amount of dust within the lens, mind you they seem to say that about almost all their lenses. Looking at the photos closely, it seems the plastic trim is lifting on that too!

Agreed, it's just a bit meh really. I see MPB have got another in, but says a minor amount of dust within the lens, mind you they seem to say that about almost all their lenses. Looking at the photos closely, it seems the plastic trim is lifting on that too!

When I bought, they had two in. I went for the version that was described 'as new.' I could have been a little critical as it wasn't totally as I would describe that but certainly close.

You have a 7 day no quibble return and I was always going to be most critical about its performance, so made sure I put it through its paces.

There does seem to be quite a bit of copy variation out there so I wanted to either examine it up front or have the option to return. If you're prepared to wait, then you can occasionally pick them up for around £850. I paid £1,030 which is still £250 cheaper than new.

When I bought, they had two in. I went for the version that was described 'as new.' I could have been a little critical as it wasn't totally as I would describe that but certainly close.

You have a 7 day no quibble return and I was always going to be most critical about its performance, so made sure I put it through its paces.

There does seem to be quite a bit of copy variation out there so I wanted to either examine it up front or have the option to return. If you're prepared to wait, then you can occasionally pick them up for around £850. I paid £1,030 which is still £250 cheaper than new.

All good stuff, I'm budgeting around what you paid - seems a couple on eBay are that kind of price but I'm never certain with eBay for obvious reasons.

Problem is there are so many other lenses I'd like to try as well :D :D

All good stuff, I'm budgeting around what you paid - seems a couple on eBay are that kind of price but I'm never certain with eBay for obvious reasons.

Problem is there are so many other lenses I'd like to try as well :D :D

What other lenses have you got Dave, and what do you tend to shoot?

Maybe I should try one instead of the Nikon/Sigma...

Well worth looking at Tim. I had one coupled with a 5D2 so was used to crap AF anyway. Some say AF can be hit or miss but never experienced that myself. I found it to be very sharp with decent rendition. I swapped it for an 85 1.2L which didn't over inspire me, so good was the siggy.

Back