Nikon D750 & D780

Ah possibly, that makes more sense.

Never tried it tbh
TBH it's not perfectly clear in the manual, but that's what appeared to happen when I tried it. What I did find odd though is that the default fine tune appears to have moved the focus much more than the individual fine tune. When I had my first D750 and it didn't play nice with fast lenses my Sigma 85mm f1.4 at +20 still front focussed, but if I deleted the saved value and used the default fine tune then I only needed around +15 IIRC. Trouble was the side AF points only needed about +5 so were way out at +15 :facepalm:

I did look this up in the manual and I believe the default setting will then apply to all lenses. I.e it's the default starting point.
No, if you set a value for a specific lens this will override the default.

I haven't posted anything for a few months now as I kinda hit a bit of a rut with my photography, that and a few health issues means the camera has been more
than a little idle. Not sure why but I couldn't take a decent photo if my life depended on it. I even spent a month touring round France in our motorhome and took
only about 20 snapshot holiday type photos despite visiting some stunning places.
Don't think most of you guys have been struggling though as catching up with the thread theres been some stunning shots of late and this today prompted me to
get the camera out as we were looking after our youngest grandson again. It was pouring with rain so on went the TV and CeeBeebies or what ever its called and
his attention was captured, so I fired off a few shots and have been processing them tonight and I really enjoyed it again. Think I just need a little more inspiration
to get going again. A few pics of Stanley who eventually fell fast asleep.
STAN SOFA 1.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

STAN SOFA 7.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

STAN SOFA 3.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

STAN SOFA 5.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

I haven't posted anything for a few months now as I kinda hit a bit of a rut with my photography, that and a few health issues means the camera has been more
than a little idle. Not sure why but I couldn't take a decent photo if my life depended on it. I even spent a month touring round France in our motorhome and took
only about 20 snapshot holiday type photos despite visiting some stunning places.
Don't think most of you guys have been struggling though as catching up with the thread theres been some stunning shots of late and this today prompted me to
get the camera out as we were looking after our youngest grandson again. It was pouring with rain so on went the TV and CeeBeebies or what ever its called and
his attention was captured, so I fired off a few shots and have been processing them tonight and I really enjoyed it again. Think I just need a little more inspiration

That 2nd one is really nice, keep going.

Great set this.

Lovely lighting and processing as always Andy.

Nice set. Last one is outstanding imo.

I know what your saying thou. Can't be added to grab my camera at the min. Took some snaps of a charity clay shoot in the early part of July and felt they were boring and s***e.
Had a morning booked in at Woburn to go out with the rangers. Misses that due to work and my stupid mistake. So very f***ed off about that. Wasted that can't rebook it.
Best present I've had in a long time too.

Tried to take some pics of a buzzard the other Saturday completely cocked that up. Might not even bother taking it to Cyprus it yet and just have the rx100 with me.

Nice set. Last one is outstanding imo.

I know what your saying thou. Can't be added to grab my camera at the min. Took some snaps of a charity clay shoot in the early part of July and felt they were boring and s***e.
Had a morning booked in at Woburn to go out with the rangers. Misses that due to work and my stupid mistake. So very f***ed off about that. Wasted that can't rebook it.
Best present I've had in a long time too.

Tried to take some pics of a buzzard the other Saturday completely cocked that up. Might not even bother taking it to Cyprus it yet and just have the rx100 with me.
Yeah that's exactly how I felt, got to the point where I couldn't be arsed to take camera whereas I've always before grabbed it before leaving for any trip out.

Snapped off a couple of my daughter this morning, you can tell how much she enjoys me doing this :D

Love that 58mm, plenty sharp enough for what I want... just need to get my processing more consistent and where I want it.

What's not to like about your processing?

I think it's more to do with getting a consistent look rather than much else.

Really need to get my monitor calibrated too as I have no clue of the colours are correct or not… :eek::D

Ah, consistency. Is the problem always. How do your images display on web via phone etc?

I started off with a cheap Huey device years ago which was next to useless. Now use x-rite display pro which makes the whole process simple and works perfectly, well worth your hard-earned.

Few shots from Derwent Dam. Chose B&W as the light was poor for the most part. The water level was the lowest I've ever known it, which meant no water falling over the top of the dam unfortunately.

DSC_3491
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3506
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3524-Edit3
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3475
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ah, consistency. Is the problem always. How do your images display on web via phone etc?

I started off with a cheap Huey device years ago which was next to useless. Now use x-rite display pro which makes the whole process simple and works perfectly, well worth your hard-earned.

Images look relatively consistent (considering I'm colourblind!), but for sure calibration is on the shopping list at some point, always something more fun to spend the budget on :D

Yes last photo is lovely I always get that one but try to nail it better lol. I’ve seen it lower pal. Did you ever visit when we could see the village at the bottom of derwent

Yes last photo is lovely I always get that one but try to nail it better lol. I’ve seen it lower pal. Did you ever visit when we could see the village at the bottom of derwent
Thanks, I didn't get the shot I wanted though as it's a right trek and the weather wasn't good enough to warrant it.

No, that's the lowest I've seen.

So been down new forest for a week and i like some of my photos but feeling a bit 'meh' about my lenses.

28mm. Lovely lens, just don't get on with the focal length. Thought it would compliment the 50mm nicely, but it's become apparent I do not see things wide and just not comfortable using it.

50mm. As always my go to lens due to its size and weight and ease of use. Wish it was a bit better than it is, but it's really the only option for a light weight 50. I like 50, I see 50.

70-200 F4. Been good but not amazing. Small and light so perfect to carry round all day, but found myself a bit short in places and then sometimes wanting it to go to 2.8!! But what are the options? Get a 70-200 2.8, but I'm not sure I want to carry that all day, but I guess it works ok with a 1.4 tc ok? Wait to see what the new 70-300 is like? Lighter and longer, but variable!

Struggling to decide what's best. I am going to be doing a bit more equestrian stuff soon so maybe I should just suck up the weight and get a 2.8.

Or go DX...

More GAS?!? Lol!

Well I've not touched my DX d7000 since getting my d750. Perhaps sometimes I wish for a little more reach but my walk around fx 24-70 is shorter even without crop factor than my go to 18-105 on the DX and most of the time it's sufficient

I don't think keep swapping kit, although perhaps enjoyable if you have funds, is the answer, I think you adapt for the tools you have.....step forward, step backward...watch for the object to background distance in working the dof if that is what is needed...etc etc......I know a lot of f you love primes but the thing that narks me the most is carrying around too much kit and continually swapping lenses.

I honestly think for me I need to move my DX gear on now and just stick with fx. Currently I have 24-70 f2.8 and 70-300 both Tamron. Maybe selling my DX gear gives me opportunity to flex that range a bit more. I have a sigma 105mm macro also, but it's been on the bench for ages and that probably also needs trading....perhaps I need something at the extremes of what I have already but it seems like I'll need deep,pockets for that. What do you think? Something for landscapes and something longer for wildlife?

Last edited:
Had these 3 lenses for a while now. The 28mm just does not get used. I'm tempted by another zoom. Wondering what the new Tamron 24-70 will be like when it's released.

Are you using the Tamron 70-300 on D750?

So been down new forest for a week and i like some of my photos but feeling a bit 'meh' about my lenses.

28mm. Lovely lens, just don't get on with the focal length. Thought it would compliment the 50mm nicely, but it's become apparent I do not see things wide and just not comfortable using it.

50mm. As always my go to lens due to its size and weight and ease of use. Wish it was a bit better than it is, but it's really the only option for a light weight 50. I like 50, I see 50.

70-200 F4. Been good but not amazing. Small and light so perfect to carry round all day, but found myself a bit short in places and then sometimes wanting it to go to 2.8!! But what are the options? Get a 70-200 2.8, but I'm not sure I want to carry that all day, but I guess it works ok with a 1.4 tc ok? Wait to see what the new 70-300 is like? Lighter and longer, but variable!

Struggling to decide what's best. I am going to be doing a bit more equestrian stuff soon so maybe I should just suck up the weight and get a 2.8.

Or go DX...
There's the 300mm f4 PF, nice and light with great IQ. Don't discount the 24-120mm f4, the VR can make up for the f2.8 of the 24-70mm in low light situations.

Had these 3 lenses for a while now. The 28mm just does not get used. I'm tempted by another zoom. Wondering what the new Tamron 24-70 will be like when it's released.

Are you using the Tamron 70-300 on D750?

Yeah both my Tamron lenses on the d750. It s not as fast as you might prefer but then it's not heavy or massively expensive either and the Image stabilisation nothing but miraculous.

Back