Nikon D750 & D780

I like my 70-200 F4 but I do feel it's not always the quickest lens to focus on moving subjects. I was looking at a nearly new VR2 or my local camera shop has a used copy of the newest version. What do the buttons do on the barrel!?
Assignable AF functions such as AF lock.

I like my 70-200 F4 but I do feel it's not always the quickest lens to focus on moving subjects. I was looking at a nearly new VR2 or my local camera shop has a used copy of the newest version. What do the buttons do on the barrel!?
If they are like the ones on my 200-400 they can be set to either focus lock, memory recall (set to a defined focus distance) or AF ON. I think I've ever used the focus distance memory recall a couple of times, one of which was at a kingfisher hide where there was a perch it often used.

@JJ if you are considering the new 70-200mm I'd suggest trying it out first as I think I could see myself accidentally knocking/moving the focus ring now they've swapped it around with the zoom ring. Still seems an odd decision to me.

@JJ if you are considering the new 70-200mm I'd suggest trying it out first as I think I could see myself accidentally knocking/moving the focus ring now they've swapped it around with the zoom ring. Still seems an odd decision to me.

I'm not sure it will be an issue as most of my zooms have been that way. But yes it's well worth me trying it first! Tamron G2 seems to be getting good reviews, but most still have the Nikon as the faster of the 2.

I'm not sure it will be an issue as most of my zooms have been that way. But yes it's well worth me trying it first! Tamron G2 seems to be getting good reviews, but most still have the Nikon as the faster of the 2.
Big gulf in price though. That being said the VRII is the best lens I've ever used, sharp, renders beautifully, fast accurate focus, and very well built. The new one is supposed to be even better. I've not seen enough samples to gauge if the rendering is as nice, but from tests I've seen it's definitely sharper which is very impressive.

I do like backlighting bubbles, I've done it to death in the bathroom ha. Can't imagine what another year will do to the character of our little girl. Lovely age and great times, keep snapping. I've gone back recently to shots a year ago and they resonate more now than when I took them.

Yeah I see stuff pop on on FB from a year or two ago and the change is unbelievable. I can't wait to show her the pics when she's old enough to appreciate them. Can't ever get bored of taking photos of her!

Big gulf in price though. That being said the VRII is the best lens I've ever used, sharp, renders beautifully, fast accurate focus, and very well built. The new one is supposed to be even better. I've not seen enough samples to gauge if the rendering is as nice, but from tests I've seen it's definitely sharper which is very impressive.

It will all depend on funds. I'm setting up some equestrian portrait shoots soon with some friends so was also thinking of getting an 85mm.

Can't afford it all at once though, although I can afford an 85 at the moment.

It will all depend on funds. I'm setting up some equestrian portrait shoots soon with some friends so was also thinking of getting an 85mm.

Can't afford it all at once though, although I can afford an 85 at the moment.
I've been very impressed with my Sigma 85mm f1.4 (pre art one), although I've not tried it on anything moving yet so don't know how good AF will be for that. Rendering is stunning though imo.

I've been very impressed with my Sigma 85mm f1.4 (pre art one), although I've not tried it on anything moving yet so don't know how good AF will be for that. Rendering is stunning though imo.

Art one is well out of my budget but will take a look at the older one! The 70-200 seems like a good portrait option too, but its all about funds sadly! Will make a decision on pay day.

Last edited:
Art one is well out of my budget but will take a look at the older one! The 70-200 seems like a good portrait option too, but its all about funds sadly! Will make a decision on pay day.
The 70-200mm is an excellent portrait lens, however it's heavy. On the rare occasion I've taken portraits I find that I'm holding the camera up for longer than other genres and therefore notice the weight more. YMMV of course.

The 70-200mm is an excellent portrait lens, however it's heavy. On the rare occasion I've taken portraits I find that I'm holding the camera up for longer than other genres and therefore notice the weight more. YMMV of course.

Ahh, bonus looks not so good so any 70-200 plans on hold. Just going to get rid of my 28mm as it never gets used and go for an 85mm for now.

Nice colours and capture Mark.

Welcome any feedback on this

DSC_0966-HDR by mg photography, on Flickr
It's a nice shot overall, but as you've asked for feedback..... ;) For me it would be better for me if the bridge was shifted to the left in the frame a bit as the left tower is too central, and the right one too close to the edge.

It's a nice shot overall, but as you've asked for feedback..... ;) For me it would be better for me if the bridge was shifted to the left in the frame a bit as the left tower is too central, and the right one too close to the edge.
Agreed, unfortunately i was limited by a barrier and a set of trees/bushes to my right :( i could of cloned out i guess in post :D

Just wondering, are any of you using one of the 150-600mm lenses for your wildlife photos? Either the Tamron A011 or newer A022 or the Sigma contemporary or sport variants? Any Opinions?
I have the original Tamron and rate it highly. The only negative is that it's a dust pump.

Just wondering, are any of you using one of the 150-600mm lenses for your wildlife photos? Either the Tamron A011 or newer A022 or the Sigma contemporary or sport variants? Any Opinions?
I have the G2 version, gives nice shots imo
2017-05-03_07-13-01.jpg

Haha! Hey guys breaking news about Nikons stance on the D750 that I'm not telling you about! :rolleyes::D

The breaking news is that there is no news? Plenty of people have sent their camera in and got it back!?

The breaking news is that there is no news? Plenty of people have sent their camera in and got it back!?

I get the impression he was implying there was a lot more to it than that... just felt like click bait video. Nikon have already handled returns through the advisories and recalls.

I just don't get the point of the video.

I get the impression he was implying there was a lot more to it than that... just felt like click bait video. Nikon have already handled returns through the advisories and recalls.

I just don't get the point of the video.

He is quite a strange chap but some of his videos are amusing! I was watching his review of the 24-85 VR this morning and he has it down as the sharpest mid range zoom ever lol!

(was looking for something to replace the 28mm with!)

Last edited:
So the new D750 rival (6D Mk2) seems to have worse high iso capability and worse AF system (but better live view). So despite its recalls, it really shows how good the D750 is!

So the new D750 rival (6D Mk2) seems to have worse high iso capability and worse AF system (but better live view). So despite its recalls, it really shows how good the D750 is!
I am really happy with my D750, despite its recall issues. I will send it for the shutter recall if it's free, but after 2 year's I've had no problems with any of the issues. Plus it's a light weight full frame camera which counts for a lot...

Back