Nikon D750 & D780

We will be visiting the Peak District this bank holiday weekend. As always we planned the trip late with no accommodation inside the peak district. We will be staying in Chesterfield.

Can anyone recommend some of the best places to photograph and time of the day? Any suggestions on parking and walking is greatly appreciated. Any route recommendations for scenic drive will be a bonus for me.

Depends on what you want to photograph I suppose.
Check out the twisted spire in Chesterfield. Chatsworth is not far. Monsal head. Lumsdale falls. Crich stand and the tram way museum. Haddon hall. Any of the blue john caverns. Ladybower dam. Dovedale. Carsington Water. Matlock and Matlock Bath for some fish and chips down the Derbyshire Riviera! The list goes on and on!

You're not far away from Yorkshire wildlife park either. Although of course that's not Derbyshire!

Last edited:
Check out the twisted spire in Chesterfield. Chatsworth is not far. Monsal head. Lumsdale falls. Crich stand and the tram way museum. Haddon hall. Any of the blue john caverns. Ladybower dam. Dovedale. Carsington Water. Matlock and Matlock Bath for some fish and chips down the Derbyshire Riviera! The list goes on and on!

You're not far away from Yorkshire wildlife park either. Although of course that's not Derbyshire!
Yep, Dovedale's really nice. Matlock Bath always reminds of seafront type place, although of course nowhere near the sea ;) By the way it's the Crooked Spire not twisted ;) :p

you could always ask Minnnt,he lives near the Peak District but doesn't have a camera anymore

My home town :banana:

Well there's always the Crooked Spire in Chesterfield itself and there's the outdoor market which would be good for street type photos. Places within 45 mins drive that are good for photos are:-

Curbar and Baslow Edge (pay and display car park, but gets full quickly). Easy walk
Lumsdale Falls (free parking outside Highfields school then a short walk down to the first fall). Easy Walk from the direction I suggested
Stanage Edge (free road side parking with relatively easy walk to the top if you park at the Ringinglow side)
Bamford Edge (bit of a climb), parking near a style up a narrow ish lane) Quite a steep climb
Ladybower and Derwent Valley/Derwent Dam (free (I think) roadside parking) Easy
Surprise View/Higgor Tor/Owler Tor (leads onto Stanage edge if you fancy a bit of a walk) (Pay and display parking) From Surprise view car park to the tor itself there's a slightly tricky bit to go up
Padley Gorge similar area to Surprise view etc (can park in surprise view car park and walk down, or park on the road on the other side of the gorge). Easy walk to most of it
Monsal Head and Weir. Pay and Display car park, or park on the road opposite for free is there's space. Nice view from the car park but quite a steep uneven path leading down to the viaduct
Mam Tor/Winnats pass (car park or park on the road for free if there's room). Pretty easy from the south west side as there's stone steps leading up.

YWP is only 40 mins from Chesterfield if that's your bag? Easy walk around with great viewing of the animals

Slightly further afield you've got Chrome and Parkhouse HIll (park on grass verge), and the Roaches. Quite tricky walks/climbs if you want to go up the top

Thanks. First two are on my list and Buxton of course.

We might bump into each other then. If you see a guy with a D750 and 24-85 running around, you'd know who it is :D

Many thanks Toby for such a detailed reply with parking suggestions. I will try my best to be there in golden hours but with a 7 year old daughter, 65 year old mum and staying in Chesterfield it will be bit of a challenge. I will add your post into my notes.

Apart from photography, my new interest is driving. We did a 1250 miles 9 day road trip to Wales just a few weeks ago covering some of the most stunning B roads, mountain passes and A roads.

Read there are several fantastic roads in Peak District. I have the Cat and Fiddle, Snake Pass, Mortimer Road and a few others in mind to drive.
Just a thought, depending on how agile your mum is some of my suggestions above might be a bit too much of a challenge, I've edited my quote above to highlight.
Chatsworth House and Gardens is really nice. Not cheap but worth a visit imo if you like Stately homes. You can of course just walk around the grounds if you don't want to go into the house, but you can't go into the gardens. There's also a kids play area and the farm that you can go to, although the farm's a bit of a rip off imo.

A nice run would be to go from Chesterfield up to Owler Bar, from Owler Bar through big moor (plenty of heather as Rob said) to Fox House. Fox House to Hathersage (passing Surprise View, which on a good day is stunning and has to be seen driving in this direction). Hathersage through Hope to Castleton and then up Winnats Pass to Sparrowpit. Then take the A623 towards Bakewell/Chatsworth/Chesterfield, then just after Litton turn right onto the B6465 Past Monsal head into Ashford on the Water. Then take the A6 through Bakewell to Rowsley then turn left towards Beeley and Chatsworth. Drive though Chatsworth to Baslow and then you can take the A619 back to Chesterfield. Should be a pretty nice drive. From Sparrowpit towards Monsal you could always take a detour through Tideswell.
Another nice run would be from Bakewell to Monyash and then into Dovedale and Manifold Valley.

Where in Chesterfield are you staying?

yes but its 30mins drive away, takes me that long sometimes to get to my city centre and I only live 2 miles away lol

he lives Ashfield in Kirkby no the other way round lol
Crikey, you really are a Stalker aren't you :eek: :LOL:

Ahh right, didn't realise he was that part of Nottinghamshire, explains the frequent trips to the Peak District then (y)

lol I just like to know if anyone is close to me so I can get some help lol.
actually I saw him post it somewhere too

Thanks for the suggestions. I think this will be more of a taster trip and I will have to come back on my own to photograph properly. I will try make a route plan based on the suggestions here.

Just a thought, depending on how agile your mum is some of my suggestions above might be a bit too much of a challenge, I've edited my quote above to highlight.
Chatsworth House and Gardens is really nice. Not cheap but worth a visit imo if you like Stately homes. You can of course just walk around the grounds if you don't want to go into the house, but you can't go into the gardens. There's also a kids play area and the farm that you can go to, although the farm's a bit of a rip off imo.

Another nice run would be from Bakewell to Monyash and then into Dovedale and Manifold Valley.

Where in Chesterfield are you staying?

Thanks Toby, your edits will be useful. My mum is not that agile. I wish I booked early for a place inside the area rather than staying in Chesterfield as I could have explored some places on my own in early morning and late evening to get the best light.

Is there any particular spot in Dovedale that is easy to walk to after parking the car?

We will be staying in a house in Nelson ST near Chesterfield Football club.with a Tesco Extra near the corner.

Thanks Toby, your edits will be useful. My mum is not that agile. I wish I booked early for a place inside the area rather than staying in Chesterfield as I could have explored some places on my own in early morning and late evening to get the best light.

Is there any particular spot in Dovedale that is easy to walk to after parking the car?

We will be staying in a house in Nelson ST near Chesterfield Football club.with a Tesco Extra near the corner.
OK, I know where that is. I didn't even realise there was accommodation there. Curbar's only a 15-20min drive from there.

As above around Ilam you can park and walk to the Stepping stones. You could also park at Tissington and join the Tissington trail which is nice and flat as long as you don't walk to the extreme south of the trail. Tissington's a really nice little village, as is Hartington. But it's just nice to drive around that area.

Just the other side of M1 J28 to me then. I always say I'm "wrong side of the border" as I'm a forest fan [emoji460]️[emoji460]️
You're brave admitting that ;)

Reactions: JJ!
70-200 2.8 or 80-400 (latest version) for sports, don't know what one to go for. Obviously the 2.8 is quicker but was really needed more reach for show jumping last week. I know a TC would help, but that's more expense on top.

The 80-400 is variable but 400mm is a great reach and from what I read online it's IQ L, focus etc are better than a 70-200 2.8 with 2xtc.

70-200 is lighter, smaller and does not extend but 80-400 seems pretty light for its zoom range and I belive both can be used handheld.

This is going to be purely a lens for mainly outdoor sports and maybe some wildlife.

Anyone used both? Thoughts?

70-200 2.8 or 80-400 (latest version) for sports, don't know what one to go for. Obviously the 2.8 is quicker but was really needed more reach for show jumping last week. I know a TC would help, but that's more expense on top.

The 80-400 is variable but 400mm is a great reach and from what I read online it's IQ L, focus etc are better than a 70-200 2.8 with 2xtc.

70-200 is lighter, smaller and does not extend but 80-400 seems pretty light for its zoom range and I belive both can be used handheld.

This is going to be purely a lens for mainly outdoor sports and maybe some wildlife.

Anyone used both? Thoughts?
I've used the 70-200mm f2.8 with the latest 2xTC, never again. If it's a choice between this and the 80-400 it'd be the 80-400 in a heartbeat. However, how often do you need the reach? Is it worth compromising your other shots? Your horse pics of late have been great, nice pop and bokeh. You'd lose that with the 80-400mm. How much are you having to crop using the 70-200 at show jumping?

For wildlife 400mm on FF is still quite short.

You could keep the 70-200mm and buy the D850 instead ;) 40 odd MP for large cropping and the potential for 9fps which I know is also important to you.

Just be aware that the 80-400 seems to be a bit of a marmite lens.
I had one that was sharp at the short end but not at the long end, so I sold it for the 300PF and 1.4tc.
Yet others swear by it, so perhaps there is copy variation.
It does focus pretty quickly so would suit your equine needs.

I've used the 70-200mm f2.8 with the latest 2xTC, never again. If it's a choice between this and the 80-400 it'd be the 80-400 in a heartbeat. However, how often do you need the reach? Is it worth compromising your other shots? Your horse pics of late have been great, nice pop and bokeh. You'd lose that with the 80-400mm. How much are you having to crop using the 70-200 at show jumping?

For wildlife 400mm on FF is still quite short.

You could keep the 70-200mm and buy the D850 instead ;) 40 odd MP for large cropping and the potential for 9fps which I know is also important to you.

Haha on the D850 - the cost of that thing!!!

Not a lot of cropping, but it would have been nice to get pics of more of the jumps - but you are right, it is a compromise.

I would say 70% of the time I don't need the reach. The F4 is certainly getting sharp enough results, but I imagine the 2.8 to give that extra bit of flexability, especially if the clouds start coming in! I think it is better sealed than the F4, but dont quote me on that!

Anyone tried the new Tamron 70-200 G2?

Last edited:
Just saw the new D750 recall notice and my camera is affected this time.

Anyone here been through this already in terms of 1. Did you notice any shading issue? 2. Sending it Nikon and 3. wait time.

Anyone here been through this already in terms of 1. Did you notice any shading issue? 2. Sending it Nikon and 3. wait time.

Didn't notice, came to about 3 weeks it was away. Got new shutter and all new grips and a good clean.

Im lucky that mine has not been recalled once, but I guess it best to do when you know you have no major photo sessions coming up.

My shutter started sticking on the first shot of the day, then it totally failed.

This was pre-recall, although I believe my camera was one of the bodies that triggered the recall, as it was a grey import and older than 12 months, but they fixed it for free anyway.

Took less than 2 weeks for me, but think it's considerably more now.

Recalls aren't given time limits are they? If you're not noticing anything, I'd hang off until your shutter count is stupidly high :)

I still haven't checked mine (can't remember where the link is now ;)), and Nikon haven't emailed me yet to notify me of this possible recall which I find quite poor.

I still haven't checked mine (can't remember where the link is now ;)), and Nikon haven't emailed me yet to notify me of this possible recall which I find quite poor.
Perhaps they know your serial number and so know not to email you?

Perhaps they know your serial number and so know not to email you?
I doubt it, I don't think I've registered this one since they replaced it ;)

Back