Nikon D750 & D780

@JJ what about the 150-600 lenses I was asking about recently? Tamron or the sigma contemporary or sport?

I have pics of a bunch of stuff I need to sell in order to raise funds, but I'm going to go with the Tamron G2

Last edited:
Can anyone help me with how to use the built in intervalometer? I want use it for star trails but can't make sense of it :(

Can anyone help me with how to use the built in intervalometer? I want use it for star trails but can't make sense of it :(
Didn't even know it had one :oops: :$:LOL:

I think it also has a time lapse setting, might be better for star trails.
If you google both these features there are some good articles and videos on how to do both.
I'll be having a go at night time lapse soon, I think the Rocky Nook book on the D750 goes into some detail on how it all works.

Not got the camera in front of me.

But from memory.

You have 3 settings:
Number of shots per interval
Interval
Total shooting time.

So:
30s
5hours

would take 1 images every 30seconds for 5 hours.

However, your shutter speed must be faster than the interval + processing time. So if you were doing a 30 second exposure with NR turned on, you'd need an interval of just over 60s.

£3,300 quid, just seen a review on my FB of the new toy D850, jeez it does alot but is it worth it? Size looks similar to d750 but it's got some features of the D5 and D500. Sorry I can't add the link as I'm on my phone atm.

£3,300 quid, just seen a review on my FB of the new toy D850, jeez it does alot but is it worth it? Size looks similar to d750 but it's got some features of the D5 and D500. Sorry I can't add the link as I'm on my phone atm.
I guess this threads gonna die soon as everyone jumps to the D850!

I don't think it will as apart from the recalls, it's a great camera.

A lot bigger file sizes and quite a bit heavier body.
Apart from that it looks marvellous (for a price).

I don't think it will as apart from the recalls, it's a great camera.
OMG ... there's a recall on the D850 already???!?! :)

PS. and in seriousness I agree ... the D750 is a great camera. Definitely "it's good enough for what I need" (to quote @snerkler) Doesn't mean I don't *want* a D850 but then there are lots of things I want and can't have :)

At that price think I'll stick with my d750 as not sure an D850 will help me take much better pictures at my skill level. If I had that amount of spare cash I'd rather spend it an a couple of top of the range lenses, still yearning for the 105mm 1.4.

D850 looks mean, but right now im looking at a 70-200 2.8 so cant afford it all!!! Will there be a D760?

Doubt it, a big price jump from the D750 to the D850, should be a few nice D810s going on the classifieds though :)

A couple from my visit to Baslow Edge at the weekend.

Baslow Edge Heather
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Baslow Edge Heather
by Rob Cain, on Flickr
Nice shots, the heather on the tops is stunning at the mo. Can't believe this is on my doorstep and I've not been out to take pics with the heather out yet. Life just gets in the way sometimes :(

Doubt it, it's a huge chunk of money. They may all migrate to a D810 though when their price tumbles ;)

Heres a few from me from today, 3.30 4 pm ish time so a bit brighter than I was hoping as today we had some clouds for a change.
Not really all that fantastic but I was trying out a 9 stop ND with some shots, luckily no colour cast as I could tell and a CP with others.
Siggy 24-105

Agay bay (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr

Agay bay 4 (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr

Agay Red Rock 2 (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr

Agay bay 5 (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr

As always they are over at flickr for a better viewing.

Nice shots, the heather on the tops is stunning at the mo. Can't believe this is on my doorstep and I've not been out to take pics with the heather out yet. Life just gets in the way sometimes :(
I try to make it out to the peaks each August for the heather. I would love to live closer, it took me 4hrs to get back Saturday evening as the M1 was closed at J18-J16 for resurfacing work. I was thinking of a return trip but the resurfacing work with weekend closures is going on until mid-September so I won't be back as I can't face getting in at 1am again.

I try to make it out to the peaks each August for the heather. I would love to live closer, it took me 4hrs to get back Saturday evening as the M1 was closed at J18-J16 for resurfacing work. I was thinking of a return trip but the resurfacing work with weekend closures is going on until mid-September so I won't be back as I can't face getting in at 1am again.
That's some serious dedication (y)

I have enough capacity at the moment with 4TB of a mirrored external that I dump everything on, plus a similar capacity NAS, so if I get close to filling I'll add to that but shouldn't be for years.
I hope that you keep at least one backup in a different location. Otherwise there are a plethora of risks (theft, fire, flood...) which could mean that you lose everything. The last 4Tb external drive that I bought cost £100, so there's no excuse.
D750 owners won't have :p
Except if they use the Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility app, as it has the capability to write GPS metadata into the EXIF! Or indeed a Nikon GP-1A (or third party equivalent) unit. :)

I wonder how far they can go now with the technology, I mean looking at the specs of the D850 it's almost perfect for most people and most situations, their really isn't a lot more you can add to a camera like this and justify upgrading unless of course your in a position were money is no object to you, if I could afford one I would snap one up, unfortunately I will have to make do with a D810 upgrade isn't life a bitch, lol :)

At that price think I'll stick with my d750 as not sure an D850 will help me take much better pictures at my skill level. If I had that amount of spare cash I'd rather spend it an a couple of top of the range lenses, still yearning for the 105mm 1.4.

Me too. It does look awesome and possibly does pretty much everything you would ever want/need except open the bottle! I shall be sticking with my 750 and see where everything is at in 3 years time when one of the bodies has got some more mileage. Taking the 610 away with me for that reason. Then I guess it will be whether you can justify £2500 on a grey copy or look at the new entry level (650?) version. Gotta be realistic with skill level and the fact it's generally a hobby.

Right, now I've justified it to myself and you all, where's the 105 thread...

I wonder if their FF mirrorless will have all these features in a smaller, lighter package?

I wonder how far they can go now with the technology, I mean looking at the specs of the D850 it's almost perfect for most people and most situations, their really isn't a lot more you can add to a camera like this and justify upgrading unless of course your in a position were money is no object to you, if I could afford one I would snap one up, unfortunately I will have to make do with a D810 upgrade isn't life a bitch, lol :)
The D850 does appear to be almost the perfect camera, on paper at least. I couldn't envisage needing anything else, but we all know how tech moves on and some new must have feature will no doubt come along. I just wish that someone would invent a way of making FF cameras and lenses the size and weight of M4/3 :LOL:

Reactions: TG.

I think there is just slightly more they could go, like a high FPS (without grip), but I guess they need to have the D5 as king of speed!

Reactions: TG.
I hope that you keep at least one backup in a different location. Otherwise there are a plethora of risks (theft, fire, flood...) which could mean that you lose everything. The last 4Tb external drive that I bought cost £100, so there's no excuse.

Absolutely. Updated before I went away with a full back up of photos, LR catalogs and macbook time machine backup.

I do take those precautions but have to remember to update that drive frequently, which doesn't always happen. Also leave camera bag and MacBook at parents when away, call me cautious.

Just in the process of moving my camera items back over to one of the specific insurance companies too. Did have everything named on the house but with the odd paid job in mind need the additional PL insurance etc. By the time i added the MBP to the household insurance it wasn't that much more and didn't realise the full cost until added together[emoji15]

Last edited:

I dunno Tel, you could add that the thing takes and edits the picture exactly as you program it to, whilst you sup on a beer that was ordered, opened and delivered to your armchair from one of its apps? No?

I dunno Tel, you could add that the thing takes and edits the picture exactly as you program it to, whilst you sup on a beer that was ordered, opened and delivered to your armchair from one of its apps? No?

Indeed Kris, lol, I think that eventually the only thing left for a photographer will be their own creativity, everything technical for every situation will be covered by the manufacturer.

It's that 28-300 again. I don't know why I bother taking anything else with me. :LOL:

Oh hang on. There is a reason for the 18-35.

Why people moan about the weight of full frame cameras is beyond me. It's the f2.8 zooms that add the weight. :D

So, was at a wedding yesterday and had camera set to backup cards. However on importing there's a card full of photos on one card and the second card has been used as a 'overflow'. Is there a setting that needs to stop this from happening. I'm guessing card 1 (&backup) became full so it started on the second card.

So, was at a wedding yesterday and had camera set to backup cards. However on importing there's a card full of photos on one card and the second card has been used as a 'overflow'. Is there a setting that needs to stop this from happening. I'm guessing card 1 (&backup) became full so it started on the second card.
Shouldn't do. If you have card 2 set up as backup it should do just that, be duplicate (or jpeg version if you've selected that option). Are you sure you didn't have it accidentally set to overflow?

Morning Chaps! I'm a bit confused by my D750 at present and not sure if it's a fault I have or a setting I've managed to switch on somewhere.

If I have my D750 in any of the MASP modes on the camera, the shutter click and mirror sound is really slow regardless of the shutter speed indicated... the photo appears to record at the shutter speed required, even up to 1/4000. If I have the camera on one of the saved settings I have on camera (ie U1) with Aperture priority, min shutter speed 1/250 etc. the shutter and mirror sounds fast.

Any clues what this is, if you follow my description?!!

Morning Chaps! I'm a bit confused by my D750 at present and not sure if it's a fault I have or a setting I've managed to switch on somewhere.

If I have my D750 in any of the MASP modes on the camera, the shutter click and mirror sound is really slow regardless of the shutter speed indicated... the photo appears to record at the shutter speed required, even up to 1/4000. If I have the camera on one of the saved settings I have on camera (ie U1) with Aperture priority, min shutter speed 1/250 etc. the shutter and mirror sounds fast.

Any clues what this is, if you follow my description?!!
Is it set on Quiet mode?

Is it set on Quiet mode?

No, set on single shot mode... just checked! :)

It sounds like the mirror movement is slow but I'm confused as to why it's in all other modes apart from the U1 saved setting I have.

No, set on single shot mode... just checked! :)

It sounds like the mirror movement is slow but I'm confused as to why it's in all other modes apart from the U1 saved setting I have.
You don't have shutter delay mode on do you? This would obviously turn off in U1 and U2 if it wasn't set when you saved the settings.

Back