Nikon D750 & D780

Making photo books is a good idea on many levels. It can give you a reason to take photos, it makes you look at what you've taken more critically, but best of all you have something physical to look at and to show people. I don't know why but folk seem to get more pleasure out of flicking through a book than swiping a screen.

So if you haven't done it yet I recommend getting your finger out and giving it a try.:)

Having had several near misses I've finally properly lost the eye piece. Looks like it's probably somewhere in the deer park I visited this morning. Oh well it took two years so it's probably done quite well!

I've thought of a photo book for some wildlife projects but I've not yet got around to it.
I didn't lose mine but decided to change it as I think it looks so plain, got this one now, looks loads better and it's a push on type that has a clip behind so it won't come off. 20170910_084730_HDR.jpg

I've only done 3 prints for my wall at work, but that's only cos my wife 'nagged' me to ;)

I keep meaning to do a photo book but never get round to it. Some days I think my photos are good enough, then other days I think they're a pile of pants o_O

Don't be silly, of course they are, get one done.

Every time I start putting photos together for a book I select more than I'll need. Then I start whittling the dross out - until there are none left. :(

Ha. This year I've had a running collection of my favourites so hoping it'll be easier. Still have to do last year tho.

I didn't lose mine but decided to change it as I think it looks so plain, got this one now, looks loads better and it's a push on type that has a clip behind so it won't come off. View attachment 110247

That looks great!
Do you have a link or any info as to where you got it?
I bulk brought a batch of standard ones,but they are running low,I've lost that many!

I did a 365 project for each of our 2 boys and printed a book of the best 80-100 for each of them at the end of the year. I just used Snapfish, it did ok for what we wanted and was cheap enough to get a few copies for grannies etc. I also do a book at the end of each year of general family stuff like the boys, holidays, days out, some of my favourite landscape stuff etc.

Trying to add 3 quotes off the phone and failing grrr.

I really must do this Phil, Christmas is a good time to do it.

That looks great!
Do you have a link or any info as to where you got it?
I bulk brought a batch of standard ones,but they are running low,I've lost that many!
It came from amazon originally for my D300, it was only 10€, I'll send a link tomorrow as I'm not at home today.

Thanks!
I've been looking for alternatives and I've got a few on my Amazon wish list,but I'd rather go with a recommendation!
I think I put in "eye cup for a D300" try that.

Filter question.

Looking at getting a filter but under the impression the best thing to do is get the largest possible (for lenses i use/may get) then get step down rings (the kit).

I think the largest is 77mm (for the 24-70 and 70-200 which i'd like to buy at some point). So looking to get the 77mm and a step down kit.

Anyone have any input before i do i.e. any lenses that might be bigger than the 77mm

Filter question.

Looking at getting a filter but under the impression the best thing to do is get the largest possible (for lenses i use/may get) then get step down rings (the kit).

I think the largest is 77mm (for the 24-70 and 70-200 which i'd like to buy at some point). So looking to get the 77mm and a step down kit.

Anyone have any input before i do i.e. any lenses that might be bigger than the 77mm
What filters are you wanting to get? 77mm is a good filter size to get as it fits a lot of the FX Nikon glass. There are other lenses that have larger diameters though, such as my Tamron 150-600mm which has a 95mm front thread off the top of my head, but I'll never use a filter for this. If you're looking at grad filters then I'd recommend square ones anyway, and would recommend the 100mm ones as I got vignetting at 18mm with the 82mm (or were they 85mm) ones.

Tamron 24-70 is 82mm thread for filters also.

I think there's a case for "square" filter set, but depending on what you are done no it can be a bit of a faff tbh

I have p-size kit from SRB photographic it's decent but has vignette at the wide angle on the Tamron 24-70 so I need to swap out for a 100x100mm set

Last edited:

In think there's a case for "square" filter set, but depending on what you are done no it can be a bit of a faff tbh
I don't know of any other way to be able to position grad filters properly other than square filters though?

What filters are you wanting to get? 77mm is a good filter size to get as it fits a lot of the FX Nikon glass. There are other lenses that have larger diameters though, such as my Tamron 150-600mm which has a 95mm front thread off the top of my head, but I'll never use a filter for this. If you're looking at grad filters then I'd recommend square ones anyway, and would recommend the 100mm ones as I got vignetting at 18mm with the 82mm (or were they 85mm) ones.

I think there's a case for "square" filter set, but depending on what you are done no it can be a bit of a faff tbh

I have p-size kit from SRB photographic it's decent but has vignette at the wide angle on the Tamron 24-70 so I need to swap out for a 100x100mm set
Thanks. Any chance of links to your sets?

I can't remember what make my circular ND filter is so will have to post later. For my grads I have the hitech firecrest filter holder with built in removable CPL, and I have the Formatt Hitech Resin 100x150 grad filter sets both hard edge and soft edge. They were on offer last Christmas, they're crazy price otherwise and they're not even the expensive glass ones :eek:

Edit: Just checked my amazon orders, it's the B&W ND4 77mm filter I have.

Last edited:
Thanks, I loved it out there, wish I had a couple more days to explore, definitely maximized our time though, a lot of walking!

We went for 7/8 nights quite a few years ago in film days. Loved the place.
I took F100, 20-35 2.8, 50mm 1.4 ai and 135mm Ai.
Late September and weather was great.
Most of my shots were with 20-35, 50 second and very few with 135.
Lots to see and plenty of photo opportunities. Enjoy.
Did either of you go to B&H whilst you were there? I fancy going, it looks huge, but worried I'll just want to spend money I don't have :eek: ;)

On another note it's been a while since I've been to the US and I remember that the price you see something marked at isn't the price you pay at the til as you have to add tax, is it still the same? What's the tax these days, 14%?

I got this plus their square p size 0.9 ND and grad
http://srb-photographic.co.uk/elite-bundle-kit-11224-p.asp

As mentioned it vignettes at wide angle on my Tamron 24-70 which is 82mm filter thread size. I need to get a decent 100x100mm kit and a wide angle filter adapter. I don't want to spend a fortune, no idea what to go with tbh

In terms of other screw-in filters I've always gone with Hoya Pro Digital

I went to b&h. Wife and son were not far way so I did not have a lot of time. You must remember this was some time ago, Sept 2000 to be precise.
Lots of things to look at but lots of obviously pro photographers there and you had to queue up see a sales assistant.
I think I bought a filter or something, didn't want to buy kit abroad.

Did either of you go to B&H whilst you were there? I fancy going, it looks huge, but worried I'll just want to spend money I don't have :eek: ;)

On another note it's been a while since I've been to the US and I remember that the price you see something marked at isn't the price you pay at the til as you have to add tax, is it still the same? What's the tax these days, 14%?
Yep I visited B&H, mind blowing, it is huge. Ended up buying a Samyang 14mm which worked out at £100 cheaper than in the UK. Their used section was great, salesman was really helpful and let's you try out anything of interest. You can't go and not check it out.

Re the tax, it's added on at the till, think it's 8% but check.

Also if you visit Bloomingdales or Macy's, you need to ask for a tourist/visitor discount card, this will give you a 10% discount to cancel out the tax on most of the stores within the shopping malls.

Hope this helps.

To add they said their warranty on lenses was worldwide (again check when there), I think with free returns too.

Yep I visited B&H, mind blowing, it is huge. Ended up buying a Samyang 14mm which worked out at £100 cheaper than in the UK. Their used section was great, salesman was really helpful and let's you try out anything of interest. You can't go and not check it out.

Re the tax, it's added on at the till, think it's 8% but check.

Also if you visit Bloomingdales or Macy's, you need to ask for a tourist/visitor discount card, this will give you a 10% discount to cancel out the tax on most of the stores within the shopping malls.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, where do you get the discount card from, the stores themselves?

To add they said their warranty on lenses was worldwide (again check when there), I think with free returns too.
Nikon lenses have worldwide warranty, not sure about others.

Thanks for the advice, where do you get the discount card from, the stores themselves?

Nikon lenses have worldwide warranty, not sure about others.

The guy in Bloomingdales said to go to customer services and they will give you a card, saying that we went in to two shops within Bloomingdales prior to knowing this and they applied the discount automatically :)

Took some more equestrian pics both Saturday and Sunday and the usual 'event photography' company were there. I can't belive how much they charge for images and how poor some of them were. They don't seem to do any editing or cropping and if you want a full res jpeg file copyright free is £60!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!! They charge £10 for a 6x4 and then prices esculate.

I was really astounded by the prices and lack of effort they have put in to the pics.

There were some really nice pics though, but not consistent. The different photographers around the various events (dressage, show jumping, cross country) look to be of different standards.

I know they need to cover the 'costs' of the various photographers, but I pretty much know how much they get paid per hour, and its about the sale of 1 photo!

Anyway, rant over.

In better news, I was told by the people I took the photos of, that they preffered my pics and that I captured more emotion and even made someone cry (in a good way lol).

Took some more equestrian pics both Saturday and Sunday and the usual 'event photography' company were there. I can't belive how much they charge for images and how poor some of them were. They don't seem to do any editing or cropping and if you want a full res jpeg file copyright free is £60!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!! They charge £10 for a 6x4 and then prices esculate.

I was really astounded by the prices and lack of effort they have put in to the pics.

There were some really nice pics though, but not consistent. The different photographers around the various events (dressage, show jumping, cross country) look to be of different standards.

I know they need to cover the 'costs' of the various photographers, but I pretty much know how much they get paid per hour, and its about the sale of 1 photo!

Anyway, rant over.

In better news, I was told by the people I took the photos of, that they preffered my pics and that I captured more emotion and even made someone cry (in a good way lol).

Bet they're making money though. On something that scale they won't have time to edit/crop and their punters probably don't even care (or know).

You have to look at things through the 'clients' eyes and not as a photographer. There's a lot of overheads if they're printing on site etc.

I say this having never been to a horse event.

Bet they're making money though. On something that scale they won't have time to edit/crop and their punters probably don't even care (or know).

You have to look at things through the 'clients' eyes and not as a photographer. There's a lot of overheads if they're printing on site etc.

I say this having never been to a horse event.

They are clearly on to a good thing - they have onsite printing and a number of photo stations you can browse the photos. I think a balance between balance and quality needed to be addressed though. There was a great number of people browsing, who then looked at the prices and thought better of it.

But, they do sell, mainly because people want a memory of the event and sadly I think that this is what they have taken advantage of. All business though so I guess if people keep buying they are doing a good job!

Well they need to make money or there is no point in doing it.
I am sure yours will be better. You are a good photographer and have the luxury of being a hobbyist.

Last edited:
They are clearly on to a good thing - they have onsite printing and a number of photo stations you can browse the photos. I think a balance between balance and quality needed to be addressed though. There was a great number of people browsing, who then looked at the prices and thought better of it.

But, they do sell, mainly because people want a memory of the event and sadly I think that this is what they have taken advantage of. All business though so I guess if people keep buying they are doing a good job!

Its better to sell ten @ £60 than 20 @ £30. More profit!

A lot of businesses take advantage of people and situations ;) 'Sadly'? People have an option to buy or not buy, there not forcing it on people!

Ahh, I guess I'm not looking at it from a business side, just a quality side and it works different for different types of situations. It just annoys me lol.

The guy in Bloomingdales said to go to customer services and they will give you a card, saying that we went in to two shops within Bloomingdales prior to knowing this and they applied the discount automatically :)
Thanks for this, will certainly get one IF we decide to buy anything. I'm hoping that my credit card stays firmly in my wallet :LOL:

Anyway, rant over.

In better news, I was told by the people I took the photos of, that they preferred my pics and that I captured more emotion and even made someone cry (in a good way lol).
Being a 'pro' charging money and quality don't always go hand in hand. I've seen some god awful pics that people have bought from sports events, graduations etc etc. I was asked to do some work for sports events but one of the criteria was instant upload of jpeg images, no PP, cropping rotation or anything. So basically what you shot is what people got. Unfortunately I couldn't dedicate every weekend to it so I had to decline, but looking back at it I'm not sure I'd have been happy churning out work like that and I think the fun would have soon gone. With all the best will in the world I'm not going to get every sport shot perfectly framed and some would need cropping and/or rotating (depending on the event).

Thanks for this, will certainly get one IF we decide to buy anything. I'm hoping that my credit card stays firmly in my wallet :LOL:

Being a 'pro' charging money and quality don't always go hand in hand. I've seen some god awful pics that people have bought from sports events, graduations etc etc. I was asked to do some work for sports events but one of the criteria was instant upload of jpeg images, no PP, cropping rotation or anything. So basically what you shot is what people got. Unfortunately I couldn't dedicate every weekend to it so I had to decline, but looking back at it I'm not sure I'd have been happy churning out work like that and I think the fun would have soon gone. With all the best will in the world I'm not going to get every sport shot perfectly framed and some would need cropping and/or rotating (depending on the event).

I did a couple of equestrian events but didn't sell onsite as didnt have the equipment plus wanted to edit. Yeah I get that framing is not always going to be spot on, but some of these were terrible. The worst being the burger van in the background being clear in focus with the horse being blurred :LOL:

I did a couple of equestrian events but didn't sell onsite as didnt have the equipment plus wanted to edit. Yeah I get that framing is not always going to be spot on, but some of these were terrible. The worst being the burger van in the background being clear in focus with the horse being blurred :LOL:

I think we've all seen some terrible work that people seem to pay for, baffling!

Was talking to a colleague earlier who has been arranging his own wedding. Said they saw one snapper that wanted £1800 for 500 pictures delivered but only 100 edited, whatever that means? Seriously, I think we get a little lost in looking at the high-end snappers that we admire, there's plenty out there seemingly making a living somehow and clearly under delivering.

I think we've all seen some terrible work that people seem to pay for, baffling!

Was talking to a colleague earlier who has been arranging his own wedding. Said they saw one snapper that wanted £1800 for 500 pictures delivered but only 100 edited, whatever that means? Seriously, I think we get a little lost in looking at the high-end snappers that we admire, there's plenty out there seemingly making a living somehow and clearly under delivering.

They say it's 80% business and 20% photography, so if you're good at business and rubbish at photography, you can still make a living out of it.

Sadly I'm rubbish at both :D

Never mind equine photography, I reckon that with a bit more practice I can make my fortune from ovine photography. It's less trouble than poultry photography, I can tell you. Put your hand under a sheep's chin and it stands still.

In theory. :exit:

i5GBwQnEafTQdhLqBG9tst4mx33jABqgfRmrpWFKTxeuRdV-iu7pPmbDg-X7bMIoSTE7o3nKAyqwFu2hpkn0SHhEom1CR0iJPlY9hRWYieA9eGw7IhzMsPZjl_eOZWeMyOzl1XmYqeVX3xZ-SIsKnKP5BV2hS-iRnJXe884hUsT9kVL-47LAojsL_8rH9iYkN0zeEenkxGdUc2STyCWPOP73iHAOmGDUGsf8i9wsqzwo9bSmSdL_5UTzEm7_7ofHjeZGC5tvKsHplXaTuSUxXaKp2_y2E7xsbE4pMIxr3X57z56j72y4egR4Fv4Ll7ECFD-OzH8Q_Gob9f-zhvlqwuv7Tv0llTqTDhPDwVHrA1zW--lzfaLgB72EjhUSZ5vRFNYfXd9iId3SJcBqVrmaXBQM21V_-DpxY4ERfILlr6dl44oGAZt_60G5htOjKPNISW4tVhQvJdZCeWmKBvXAxWq1sZcwBdknO9_05hiHpRjdhx7EiVuhJHrDe02WzETCLHe1O_8hlaOpOHEZTWBCWg0iMt3koWmYCFAT6STCcuVWB91WIaA6ZrWBHqqtRkP6J4elSQ3h-ICovKyLNsA0VZJ4Hy5COjZkFQ0KDdvS03c=w500-h775-no

They say it's 80% business and 20% photography, so if you're good at business and rubbish at photography, you can still make a living out of it.

Sadly I'm rubbish at both :D

Yeah they do say that. I think it's harder doing several things like you are mate. It's the business side that is the trickiest part for most people.

Just got my Nikon D750, so far love it!!

It's funny, I've held a Nikon a couple of times before but there is so much tribalism within camera users that you become blinkered to a brand.

I learnt using a fully manual Zenit e SLR, but really for years and years, since film even I've shot Canon. Then a foray into Sony mirrorless. One of the things Canon users would say is the ergonomics of Nikons are not as good as Canon.

Well, I bought the D750 for the image quality and to get back to a DSLRbut honestly the thing that I'm most pleasantly surprised about is the ergonomics. Mainly the way, admittedly using 2 hands, you can access almost anything without taking your eye from the viewfinder. I simply love the AEB activation too!

Look forward to getting out and using it.

I simply love the AEB activation too!
I had to look up what you meant by AEB and I actually learnt something new too! I've been using the exposure bracketing since I got the D750 but always done it manually by pressing the shutter remote cable button each time, now I know how to set up the d750 bracketing and timer to automatically take the whole exposure bracketing set just by pressing the shutter button once. I'm guessing if you use live view that's like using mirror up mode. That's going to make landscapes much easier (it may chew through batteries!).

Back