Nikon D750 & D780

Ladies & Gents, some advice please.

With my current D750, I've got a Tamron 24-70 f2.8, a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and a Sigma 105 f2.8 macro lens.

I do mainly portrait photography first and then do some weddings here and there.
Most of my portraits are done with the 70-200mm lens between 80-130mm. What lens(es) would you buy next?

My budget is around £1.5k.
Would a 35mm 1.4 or 1.8 be a wise choice? Or would I get more use out of a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8? Or even a 85mm 1.4 or 1.8?

Yes, I realise this is a how long is a piece of string questions with very little guidance but hoping some of you can point me in the right direction.

I would be inclined to say a 50/58mm - well that would be my choice but I like that focal length! The 35mm focal length is vastly popular, but not my cup of tea, but works well as a do it all lens.

Also - what does the 24-70/70-200 not acheive for you?

Last edited:

With my current D750, I've got a Tamron 24-70 f2.8, a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and a Sigma 105 f2.8 macro lens.

I do mainly portrait photography first and then do some weddings here and there.
Most of my portraits are done with the 70-200mm lens between 80-130mm. What lens(es) would you buy next?

Would a 35mm 1.4 or 1.8 be a wise choice? Or would I get more use out of a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8? Or even a 85mm 1.4 or 1.8?

Yes, I realise this is a how long is a piece of string questions with very little guidance but hoping some of you can point me in the right direction.

I have 24-70 on one body and 70-200 on the other and a 16-35 f4 in the bag for the wider shots if I need it!
If your looking for a dedicated portrait lens when you have time to faff about pretty much any of the previously mentioned primes would be fine!
I'd love an 85 f1.4 to complement my zooms!
Some shoot weddings solely with primes but I personally prefer the convenience of zooms and doubt many clients would notice the difference between a portrait shot at 85mm on a 70-200 against one shot with a 85mm f1.4!

I have 24-70 on one body and 70-200 on the other and a 16-35 f4 in the bag for the wider shots if I need it!
If your looking for a dedicated portrait lens when you have time to faff about pretty much any of the previously mentioned primes would be fine!
I'd love an 85 f1.4 to complement my zooms!
Some shoot weddings solely with primes but I personally prefer the convenience of zooms and doubt many clients would notice the difference between a portrait shot at 85mm on a 70-200 against one shot with a 85mm f1.4!
Nope, they probably wouldn't and to an extent it is purely preference. However, if I was doing it day in day out then I'd opt for primes for the weight. Ok so the Sigma 85mm art is a lump of a thing, but the pre art one is a stunning lens and half the weight of the 70-200mm. The nikon 85mm f1.8G is massively lighter. Likewise the 35mm vs 24-70mm.

Almost the same as me but I have the slower Tamron 70-300 instead of the 70-200. My sigma 105 is somewhat redundant and I will likely trade it. Next on my list is a 150-600 Tamron g2

If most of your photos are 80-135mm and you have a fast lens that covers that range, why do you need a new lens at all though? Do you have another use case or is it just GAS? [emoji51]

Last edited:
I'm using the Sigma 35 1.4 / Nikon 85 1.4g for 90% of my wedding work - only use a 24-70g for faffing around with groups.

I have a problem with nikon and macro lenses! I have had 105vr and now the sigma 105 os but to get the image stable is next to impossible - for canon I used to use the canon 100is and that was rock steady!

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'll probably get another D750 body or even a D810.

I know the 24-70 and 70-200 will cover most eventualities but always wondered what a prime would be like. I do fancy a new portrait lens. Think I'm best investing in a new body though. The lenses can come later.

Still saving for a 2.8 70-200. My F4 is slowly becoming my most used lens!

Nikon 35mm f1.4 came today, man what a tank. Good job the Wife bought me a kettlebell for my birthday, think I'm going to need to use it over the Winter to get used to these Nikon lenses after my Fuji kit! :eek::D

Lovely though, seems like it's front focussing a bit, which all my lenses appear to on my D750 - wonder if I need to get the camera looked at rather than keep trying to AF fine tune them(?).

Piddling down here, so can't get out much to really try it out today though.

_D755196
by Dave Young, on Flickr​

_D755195

Nikon 35mm f1.4 came today, man what a tank. Good job the Wife bought me a kettlebell for my birthday, think I'm going to need to use it over the Winter to get used to these Nikon lenses after my Fuji kit! :eek::D

Lovely though, seems like it's front focussing a bit, which all my lenses appear to on my D750 - wonder if I need to get the camera looked at rather than keep trying to AF fine tune them(?).

_D755196

_D755195

Seen a few reviews on the 1.4g where adjustments were needed - some of them quite a lot too. All you people getting new lenses makes me wnat to just go all plastic spend on the 70-200!

Seen a few reviews on the 1.4g where adjustments were needed - some of them quite a lot too. All you people getting new lenses makes me wnat to just go all plastic spend on the 70-200!

All self funded with the sale of Fuji kit... just need to think about selling on my 35mm 1.8 now and see what else I can add... maybe a 105 macro(?) or a 70-200 f4 ;):D

All self funded with the sale of Fuji kit... just need to think about selling on my 35mm 1.8 now and see what else I can add... maybe a 105 macro(?) or a 70-200 f4 ;):D

F4 is a lovely lens, but its left me wanting more! Get training with the 1.4g and go for a 2.8!! As you were very selfish and didn't sell me back my 28mm I went and got another one :LOL:

Can't imagine trying to hold one up for long :D

Hah.

They're just too long for 99% of venues. Unless you want to deliver the bride a series of long distance headshots (and I do see a lot that tbh).

I want something ultra wide. Maybe the 14mm F2.8

F4 is a lovely lens, but its left me wanting more! Get training with the 1.4g and go for a 2.8!! As you were very selfish and didn't sell me back my 28mm I went and got another one :LOL:

Haha! Really not sure I could handle a 2.8. Only ever shot with one once for about half a dozen frames with a D700 and needed a lie down :D

Hah.

They're just too long for 99% of venues. Unless you want to deliver the bride a series of long distance headshots (and I do see a lot that tbh).

Yeah, would be useful occasionally but not worth the outlay personally. 14mm would be err, wide! I struggle with the 28 being super wide for me!

Hah.

Try the IRIX, lovely lens and 2 ways to fine tune if you want.
It takes front 95mm filters and you can also get gel filters for the rear of the lens.
This is the cheaper version but both versions have the same optics so I wouldnt waste any money there.
If you want to know more, just PM me.
IRIX 15mm.jpg IRIX 15mm 2.jpg Lightroom CC also supports this lens for lens correction.

_D755196

_D755195

Welcome to the 35 club, love mine, favourite workhorse lens. Don't worry about a bit of micro adjustment, it's why you have it, so long it's within the tolerance.

Did a christening last weekend and went 35/85 throughout. 35 probably 85% of that too.

The 70-200's are great optics but they are a bit too big for the way I like to shoot and draw attention.

Welcome to the 35 club, love mine, favourite workhorse lens. Don't worry about a bit of micro adjustment, it's why you have it, so long it's within the tolerance.

Did a christening last weekend and went 35/85 throughout. 35 probably 85% of that too.

The 70-200's are great optics but they are a bit too big for the way I like to shoot and draw attention.

Thanks. Loving it already. Looks to me on first impression like it has a very similar rendering to the 58mm.

I don’t mind the micro adjustment just find it weird that almost every lens is the same on my D750 with the exception of @JJ!’s old 28mm!

Thanks. Loving it already. Looks to me on first impression like it has a very similar rendering to the 58mm.

I don’t mind the micro adjustment just find it weird that almost every lens is the same on my D750 with the exception of @JJ!’s old 28mm!

Same here. All my lenses have needed some MA except the 50 1.8G that Toby had off me, though values aren't consistent to suggest the body is problematic. It's there for those of us that love wafer thin DOF.

Yeah, the 35 renders lovely. I wouldn't swap mine for anything.

Agreed, think my 35 1.8 will be hitting the classifieds soon!

No point keeping both!

Yeeee haaaaaa 3,000 posts lol Funny how the subconscious notices the milestones??

I've been asked to snap a bridge for someone to hang in their new house. One of the compositions looks like it could need wider than my widest lens will allow. Might have to start stitching some frames together, something I haven't done for a good while, should be good.

No point keeping both!

Yeeee haaaaaa 3,000 posts lol Funny how the subconscious notices the milestones??

I've been asked to snap a bridge for someone to hang in their new house. One of the compositions looks like it could need wider than my widest lens will allow. Might have to start stitching some frames together, something I haven't done for a good while, should be good.

Haha! Congrats, only 370 odd behind me but I have been here 4 months longer than you :D

A bridge? How random, sounds like a challenge though!

Haha! Congrats, only 370 odd behind me but I have been here 4 months longer than you :D

A bridge? How random, sounds like a challenge though!

Something to do with the area I think. I'll have to dust off the 3 legged beast, can't remember the last time I took her out :D Especially at silly o'clock in the morning.

Oh boy, these pics were two years ago nearly. Really need to get out in the autumn colours, have put a call out to friends to see what I get.

22309809022_1af98802cb_b.jpg

21701685853_34c94767c4_b.jpg

22333386441_71d23e59a0_b.jpg

22309828912_81528818a4_b.jpg

Oh boy, these pics were two years ago nearly. Really need to get out in the autumn colours, have put a call out to friends to see what I get.

22309809022_1af98802cb_b.jpg

21701685853_34c94767c4_b.jpg

22333386441_71d23e59a0_b.jpg

22309828912_81528818a4_b.jpg
Lovely pics and rendition. Are these with the 58mm?

OK, sports fans.... Wondering just how sh*te the 50mm 1.4 is. Reviews I've read seem to claim it's really not a great lens. I've got the 1.8 50mm kit lens the Df came with, but I'm wondering if the 1.4 version of the 50mm may be good as a walkabout with the D750, especially considering the 2nd hand price they go for.

OK, sports fans.... Wondering just how sh*te the 50mm 1.4 is. Reviews I've read seem to claim it's really not a great lens. I've got the 1.8 50mm kit lens the Df came with, but I'm wondering if the 1.4 version of the 50mm may be good as a walkabout with the D750, especially considering the 2nd hand price they go for.
I've used both on various fx bodies including the D810 - also used them on the D6xx too. The kit lens that comes with the DF is optically identical to the ordinary 50mm f1.8G (just has a fancy pants silver band is all ...) ... I prefer the f1.4 version tbh it is slightly better in most areas albeit lacks contrast at f1.4 but thats no biggie really.

Can't imagine needing a 70-200 at a wedding

We only use ours occasionally for the speeches so we can stay out of the way or very occasionally during the ceremony if it's a really big venue. For most weddings it never leaves the boot of the car.

Have had a few copies of the Nikon 1.4g and the older d lens. They aren't the sharpest at f/1.4. The 1.8G is probably better value it's pretty much as sharp as the 1.4G at f/1.8.

A better option would be the Sigma Art but it's more expensive, much heavier and there is a wide copy variation. I had 5 of these that all had to be returned, all of them had pretty severe front and back focus issues that couldn't be resolved using fine tune or the Sigma dock. A month or so ago I came across a used one at a really good price and even with the previous issues decided to take a punt on it. This copy is razor sharp after only a very minor adjustment too +1.

Nope, was the 85. I think these pics struck
a chord at the time because I came up with the processing that I really liked. Seems to suit the environment though as doesn't work so well for much every day.
Yeah I really like the processing on these. I'm still searching for that holy grail in terms of finding a processing style i"m happy with.

Was it the f1.4 or f1.8 85mm?

Yeah I really like the processing on these. I'm still searching for that holy grail in terms of finding a processing style i"m happy with.

Was it the f1.4 or f1.8 85mm?

I've only ever had the 1.4G.

I like the processing still, which is great for me as I have chopped and changed over the years. It suits the subject, including a little marmite grain that does give them a painterly effect feel IMO. Possibly one of my favourite sets I've done to date, all came together.

I am finally becoming happier with my PP, I seem to have finally learnt to see colour better. The christening I did last week went well too, PP didn't take long at all.

The 1.8g is faster to focus without a doubt as have tried both - but this is only really noticible when switching focus between near and far focus. I currently have the 1.8g and is my go too lens - but I am tempted by a 1.4g again as the rendering is meant to be better and I didn't really get to test it for very long to comment on IQ differences.

Both identical in size - the 1.4g is heavier and the front of the lens (which is recessed anyway) is a bit bigger.

Last edited:

Just use your 58G? Do you need another lens in that FL? Put the money towards something else, like a 105 :D

Haha, I hear you. Would be good to have a lighter option at 50mm but still 1.4 for everyday/family stuff.

But that 105.... :cool:

Try one and let me know what yo think before I splash any more cash!!! (the 50 that is!)

Back