Nikon D750 & D780

OK. So Panamoz have the 750 with 24-85 for £27 less than with the 24-120.

I had thought the 24-120 was the lens of choice - am I missing something?
It's the better lens in terms of spec (and arguably sharpness), but some prefer the 24-85mm due to it being noticeably lighter.

I have the 24-120mm f4 and think it's an excellent lens. That being said if you pay the full U.K. price it's not worth it. It's a very good lens, just not circa £900 good. I paid £450 for mine IIRC.

Somehow missed this? You don't get that render from those Sigma's lol Nice PP, which preset

PS. Can't beat the daughter's 'oooooh, daaaaaaad' look.

Thanks

:D Has a certain Nikon full frame look to it doesn’t it?!

Preset is based off a Superia1600 film sim. Still not sure if it gives enough contrast for my taste.

Thanks

:D Has a certain Nikon full frame look to it doesn’t it?!

Preset is based off a Superia1600 film sim. Still not sure if it gives enough contrast for my taste.

Was only kidding about the preset, you do like em eh lol. Plenty enough contrast :)

It's the better lens in terms of spec (and arguably sharpness), but some prefer the 24-85mm due to it being noticeably lighter.

I have the 24-120mm f4 and think it's an excellent lens. That being said if you pay the full U.K. price it's not worth it. It's a very good lens, just not circa £900 good. I paid £450 for mine IIRC.

Thanks.

Compared to the body only price I'd be picking the lens up for £370, purchased as a kit.

Sounds good to me.

Had the 24-85 and 24-120. Couldn't really see difference in IQ.

Constant F4 is nice but you get 3.5 at the short end of the 24-85.

24-85 is considerably smaller and lighter.

So it's really a choice between size or focal length!

Thanks.

Compared to the body only price I'd be picking the lens up for £370, purchased as a kit.

Sounds good to me.
For £370 it's a no brainer imo

I don't think there's any noticeably difference in sharpness so it's more about range, and I believe the 24-120mm has slight weather sealing. 1/3 stop at the short end is neither here nor there imo, especially considering the type of shot you tend to shoot at 24mm. So it boils down to whether you want reach or weight saving imo.

For £370 it's a no brainer imo

I don't think there's any noticeably difference in sharpness so it's more about range, and I believe the 24-120mm has slight weather sealing. 1/3 stop at the short end is neither here nor there imo, especially considering the type of shot you tend to shoot at 24mm. So it boils down to whether you want reach or weight saving imo.
If he can stretch to another £110 you can get the tamron 24-70 2.8 Di VC USD (used 24 month warranty)

Last edited:
It’s a no brainer really to get the kit with the 24-120. If you decided to sell both lenses then the 24-120 would go for around £400 compared to £200 for the 24-85. Both are good lenses.
I knew a man on here who used to post on here all the time,he isn't a bad photographer either,he disappeared a while back,you remind me of him apart from he had gingerer hair :D:D

If he can stretch to another £110 you can get the tamron 24-70 2.8 Di VC USD (used 24 month warranty)
Yep another good option, it's all down to personal needs of the tog. I've had two 24-70mm f2.8's (albeit Nikons) and found I preferred the 24-120mm due to the flexibility, but a lot of folk prefer the 24-70mm (y)

Hi JJ.

Think I bought the 16-80 DX from you. Love that lens and its one of the things that I would miss if swapping to FX. I suppose considering that's my favourite it would have to be the 24-120 for the same range.

I did consider this but I think the weight might just relegate this lens for me. I reckon even the 24-120 is pushing it a bit at 710g for my battered body. (I used to race sidecars or rather I used to crash out of sidecars quite a lot).

He had to, lycra isn't cheap these days.

I think this would work well..

img

Thanks.

Sounds good to me.

I took ages deciding similar, came from a d7000.
In the end decided on a faster Tamron 24-70 f2.8
Got the body from Panamoz and the lens I think was digitalrev who had the best price at the time.

...mind you, i already had a tamron 70-300

Last edited:
Hi JJ.

Think I bought the 16-80 DX from you. Love that lens and its one of the things that I would miss if swapping to FX. I suppose considering that's my favourite it would have to be the 24-120 for the same range.

Yep the 24-120 would be the best option if you like the range! I'm considering a zoom again for travel etc so it's also on my list of possibles!

Back