Nikon D750 & D780

Yeah too many hobbies and not enough time. Plus a psycho pregnant hormonal girlfriend lol.

Been involved in a pheasant shoot 400 yards from our house.
Plus all the clay shooting competitions.
Going to send the d750 back this week for its recall. Aslong as I get it back before Jan lol.
Been using the rx100 more tbh.

Having been keeping an eye on the new toys.

How is everyone else

My new toy has it flaws, but just deciding what the best route for me is!

Likewise I wouldn't want to buy a £2k+ lens and have to tape it up because Nikon made a faux pas (imo).

We've all bought a camera and had to tape the eye piece up to stop it falling off. :D

There is no denying the IQ is excellent and in all fairness its not too heavy once you have it supported. The focus ring is damped, but where my hands rest naturally (and more importantly are comfortable) I can actually fel myself turning the focus ever so slightly as I zoom and no matter what mode the lens is in I see a slight shift in focus.

Need to either adjust my grip, stick with the F4 or get a VRII but the focus breathing concerns me due to shooting at 200mm quite a lot - although I don't fully understand focus breathing or how much of an issue it is.

It's possible you will you get around it by learning to hand hold without accidentally disengaging AF. I would just check another copy to ensure it's a model issue rather than your lens as you would hope there should be noticeable difference between A/M and M/A modes.

Regarding the focus breathing on the vr2 I was originally concerned but in reality it's not something I really find limiting as I don't notice it occuring. The real question regarding the VR2 is how much you are going to be shooting at a distance under 5m.

This review has good example images of the focus breathing and the difference it causes.

http://www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm

It's possible you will you get around it by learning to hand hold without accidentally disengaging AF. I would just check another copy to ensure it's a model issue rather than your lens as you would hope there should be noticeable difference between A/M and M/A modes.

Regarding the focus breathing on the vr2 I was originally concerned but in reality it's not something I really find limiting as I don't notice it occuring. The real question regarding the VR2 is how much you are going to be shooting at a distance under 5m.

This review has good example images of the focus breathing and the difference it causes.

http://www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm

Yeah going to check another copy - plus try out a few holding techniques as it seems a shame to not own such a lens!!

There is no denying the IQ is excellent and in all fairness its not too heavy once you have it supported. The focus ring is damped, but where my hands rest naturally (and more importantly are comfortable) I can actually fel myself turning the focus ever so slightly as I zoom and no matter what mode the lens is in I see a slight shift in focus.

I didnt notice myself doing this at the weekend as was concentrating on my panning.

Need to either adjust my grip, stick with the F4 or get a VRII but the focus breathing concerns me due to shooting at 200mm quite a lot - although I don't fully understand focus breathing or how much of an issue it is.
Focus breathing on the VRII is a none issue for me as I don't do head shots from 10ft away. It's not something that I've ever noticed, but neither have I tested another lens alongside it, but why would I? ;) It can of course work to your advantage, for example when shooting the london marathon I can't often change the zoom whilst shooting (due to hand position on the monopod trying to lean right out beyond the crowd) and so as the runners approach I get more of them in the frame. Ok, this is an extreme example, and a lens shouldn't focus breath so much, especially one this expensive, but I've never shot with it and thought "god I wish this didn't breathe so much' ;) You just don't notice it. The only time I can see it being an issue is if you're used to shooting from a close distance at 200mm and all of a sudden your framing change, e.g. if you swapped from canon to nikon.
For most of your horse shots you won't get any breathing anyway, and with your close up portraits you wouldn't really notice it, and nothing a bit of cropping in post won't fix. We're blessed with megapixels these days :)

We've all bought a camera and had to tape the eye piece up to stop it falling off. :D
Not me, not lost one yet. The hot shoe cover on my EM1 on the other hand.......

Focus breathing on the VRII is a none issue for me as I don't do head shots from 10ft away. It's not something that I've ever noticed, but neither have I tested another lens alongside it, but why would I? ;) It can of course work to your advantage, for example when shooting the london marathon I can't often change the zoom whilst shooting (due to hand position on the monopod trying to lean right out beyond the crowd) and so as the runners approach I get more of them in the frame. Ok, this is an extreme example, and a lens shouldn't focus breath so much, especially one this expensive, but I've never shot with it and thought "god I wish this didn't breathe so much' ;) You just don't notice it. The only time I can see it being an issue is if you're used to shooting from a close distance at 200mm and all of a sudden your framing change, e.g. if you swapped from canon to nikon.
For most of your horse shots you won't get any breathing anyway, and with your close up portraits you wouldn't really notice it, and nothing a bit of cropping in post won't fix. We're blessed with megapixels these days :)

Not me, not lost one yet. The hot shoe cover on my EM1 on the other hand.......

Will give it another go and see how it feels - can easily px it for the VRII at a later date if I dont get on with it I guess!

Never lost an eye cup either - even have a spare too but its never been used!

Haven't received anything from Nikon after doing the Service Advisory last week so rang them today explaining the shutter was bust and not just waiting on a recall and they emailed me the returns label within the hour. Will post it this afternoon and see how long it takes to get it back.

Thanks, Graham. Three shots on this Talk Photography page? If I click the "edit" option I see the photo, but only one.
Yes 3 shots, I just rubbed my eyes to make sure, yep, still 3 shots.

It now appears that there are no red X's and only one photo. Phew.
Sorry, I should of said, I was looking on my phone, cant see that it should make any difference though.

Sorry, I should of said, I was looking on my phone, cant see that it should make any difference though.
Only one photo and no red x's on my phone :p

So do people attach their Black Rapids to the body or the lens when using 70-200 2.8?

I was using it on the body at the weekend, but maybe better balanced on the tripod foot. But not sure if I should be doing that?!

So do people attach their Black Rapids to the body or the lens when using 70-200 2.8?

I was using it on the body at the weekend, but maybe better balanced on the tripod foot. But not sure if I should be doing that?!
I've often heard people say that it should be on the lens to avoid strain on the lens mount, but I just find it got in the way when shooting, probably because I have the tripod foot at the top of the lens when shooting hand held. I always had a tether when using the BR though as I never trust just one attachment.

I now have the Peak Design and still use the attachment on the camera rather than the lens though, but at least with the peak design the way the camera hangs there's no stress in the mount. The only trouble with the peak design is that whilst it has two attachments if one fails the camera can still drop as the attachments are just either side of the strap so the strap obviously just slips off. I had a very lucky escape at the weekend. I hadn't done up the tripod plate properly and it came off with when using my D750 with 150-600mm. Luckily I felt it go and was quick enough to grab it :eek:

Deff the Lens collar on my 150-600.
Its well balanced like this imo.

I always go with the tripod collar for my 70-200 f2.8 and 200-400. If you read the 70-200 manual I'm sure Nikon don't recommend hanging the 70-200 from the camera and say support by the tripod collar.

My general rule is hold whichever weighs more. if it's the camera hold by the camera, if it's the lens hold by the lens.

Downloaded the new LR tonight, should be interesting. Previews do seem to be instant now thankfully. And to test it, my little girl pee'd in the pot for the first time :D
Didn't even know there was a new LR :confused:

Didn't even know there was a new LR :confused:
I still don't get what to make of it. Am I right in thinking th 'classic' LR version uses the current own hard drive storage whilst the new LR CC version stored everything in the cloud and not locally? I can see this being good and bad. If away from home you can upload straight to your CC storage but the downside being everything is stored in adobe cloud. What happens if you stop the subscription, do you loss access to everything you had stored in the cloud and have no local personal backup of your files?

So I may have kinda murdered my D750 last week. Long story short I slipped, my tripod and camera both fell into the sea for a second or two. Worst D750 owner ever, I know.

I've been told it's beyond economical repair but they didn't tell me what was wrong with it - replacement is on it's way thankfully. It still turns on and exciting things like that but doesn't seem to focus - Spares and repairs on ebay or throw it in the bin?

I still don't get what to make of it. Am I right in thinking th 'classic' LR version uses the current own hard drive storage whilst the new LR CC version stored everything in the cloud and not locally? I can see this being good and bad. If away from home you can upload straight to your CC storage but the downside being everything is stored in adobe cloud. What happens if you stop the subscription, do you loss access to everything you had stored in the cloud and have no local personal backup of your files?
If you stop subscribing, you have access to what’s “in the cloud” for 12 months so you can download it (via Lightroom CC).

My own assessment... Lightroom Classic CC is just like old Lightroom - local storage, easily managed across multiple devices if you wish; with optionally upload some Collections (now Albums) to the cloud for syncing editing. “New” Lightroom CC is like Lightroom Mobile... just on the desktop/laptop.

Last edited:
So I may have kinda murdered my D750 last week. Long story short I slipped, my tripod and camera both fell into the sea for a second or two. Worst D750 owner ever, I know.

I've been told it's beyond economical repair but they didn't tell me what was wrong with it - replacement is on it's way thankfully. It still turns on and exciting things like that but doesn't seem to focus - Spares and repairs on ebay or throw it in the bin?
Who is the “they” who said is was beyond economical repair but didn’t say what was wrong? Worth contacting a independent repair shop?

Back