Nikon D750 & D780

If you stop subscribing, you have access to what’s “in the cloud” for 12 months so you can download it (via Lightroom CC).

My own assessment... Lightroom Classic CC is just like old Lightroom - local storage, easily managed across multiple devices if you wish; with optionally upload some Collections (now Albums) to the cloud for syncing editing. “New” Lightroom CC is like Lightroom Mobile... just on the desktop/laptop.

It seems obvious why they have had to separate the platforms to speed the classic version up. The mobile app is handy and I’ve been using it for the last 6 months.

I’m assuming (haven’t read up too much yet) that the unlimited smart previews will be no more, in that you have storage now depending on how much you pay? That would be a bit of a back-track by Adobe. It was handy having an on-going collection of my little girl but then 20GB will last a good time if you can maintain the smaller files (smart previews)

Last edited:
I’m assuming (haven’t read up too much yet) that the unlimited smart previews will be no more, in that you have storage now depending on how much you pay? That would be a bit of a back-track by Adobe. It was handy having an on-going collection of my little girl but then 20GB will last a good time if you can maintain the smaller files (smart previews)
I think its still unlimited smart previews ... certainly my Creative Cloud account still says 0B used out of 20GB.

So I may have kinda murdered my D750 last week. Long story short I slipped, my tripod and camera both fell into the sea for a second or two. Worst D750 owner ever, I know.

I've been told it's beyond economical repair but they didn't tell me what was wrong with it - replacement is on it's way thankfully. It still turns on and exciting things like that but doesn't seem to focus - Spares and repairs on ebay or throw it in the bin?

Ebay. My mate has loads of spares and repairs stuff from eBay as he loves to take apart and try repair in his spare time (with very little success!!).

Let me know when listed as he will bid!

Just had an email confirmation that NIKON UK has received my broken D750. Damn was hoping it would get lost in the post and I would get a new shiny one instead of a new shiny shutter:LOL:

Went with a friend and their son to the park yesterday.

Rocking Horse Fun
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_6529
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_6631
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_6745
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_7062
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_7107
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_7145-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_7262
by TDG-77, on Flickr
Hes a happy little man, last shot is very different and very nice.
Didnt you want to slide down and take a shot at the same time :D

I think its still unlimited smart previews ... certainly my Creative Cloud account still says 0B used out of 20GB.

Come to think of it, I did
note the same myself. I wonder if they will phase smart previews out, being cynical that they will want to push additional storage onto everyone.

Hes a happy little man, last shot is very different and very nice.
Didnt you want to slide down and take a shot at the same time :D
Thanks. Yeah generally he's a pretty happy chappy. I'd have sent him flying if I'd done that ;)

So tried another copy of the 2.8e and even in A/M you can easily bump the focus ring. It does focus straight back when using AF-C, but there is that split moment when it’s not on focus and still allows the shot to be taken on focus release.

But other than that the lens is quality. The zoom ring is really free flowing so you can turn with one finger making it a breeze to zoom in and out.

I’m yet to try the buttons on the side, or really read in to what they do!!!

Weight is good. It feels well balanced, maybe more so than the VRII, although I did not use that lens for long so unfair comparison maybe.

It’s slightly smaller, slightly lighter and although it’s a mix of plastic and metal it still feels like part lens part weapon!

Going to another show this weekend so will try nail the focus this time!!

So tried another copy of the 2.8e and even in A/M you can easily bump the focus ring. It does focus straight back when using AF-C, but there is that split moment when it’s not on focus and still allows the shot to be taken on focus release.

But other than that the lens is quality. The zoom ring is really free flowing so you can turn with one finger making it a breeze to zoom in and out.

I’m yet to try the buttons on the side, or really read in to what they do!!!

Weight is good. It feels well balanced, maybe more so than the VRII, although I did not use that lens for long so unfair comparison maybe.

It’s slightly smaller, slightly lighter and although it’s a mix of plastic and metal it still feels like part lens part weapon!

Going to another show this weekend so will try nail the focus this time!!

I’d be interested in seeing some shots wide open with good bokeh at 200mm. I would like a 200mm option again at some point. I did look at some comparisons recently against the older version and sharpness at the long end does seem vastly improved.

Last weekend I shot a 5k run with my 70-200 VRII and got a lot more missed focus shots than I'm used to, and then again shooting my mate's son on Wednesday although to be fair that was with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 and never shot moving subjects before with it so don't know how well it performs normally.

Both days were pretty dull and murky which could explain it, but I'm slightly worried as my last D750 got more unreliable in terms of AF accuracy, even before Nikon got their hands on it and turned it into a complete lemon. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just over thinking it?

P.S. my af settings are the same as I've always used, single point AF-C with focus lock on max.

Last weekend I shot a 5k run with my 70-200 VRII and got a lot more missed focus shots than I'm used to, and then again shooting my mate's son on Wednesday although to be fair that was with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 and never shot moving subjects before with it so don't know how well it performs normally.

Both days were pretty dull and murky which could explain it, but I'm slightly worried as my last D750 got more unreliable in terms of AF accuracy, even before Nikon got their hands on it and turned it into a complete lemon. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just over thinking it?

P.S. my af settings are the same as I've always used, single point AF-C with focus lock on max.

I think you’re like my missus, you over-think stuff [emoji16]

I had to sell my 70-200 to fund the 58 but they sure are handy to have. The compression at the long end is so easy to help achieve great portraits. I’ll have to hope I get 6 numbers this weekend for a 200 f/2.

I’d be interested in seeing some shots wide open with good bokeh at 200mm. I would like a 200mm option again at some point. I did look at some comparisons recently against the older version and sharpness at the long end does seem vastly improved.

I'm not sure if this helps either of you but I'll put it up here in hopes it does; I shot this wide open; runner coming toward me. My usual pp in PS. (This looks way(!) softer here than it does on my iMac.)

D75_1767-gr4g.jpg

I think you’re like my missus, you over-think stuff [emoji16]

Yeah, probably :oops: :$

I'm not sure if this helps either of you but I'll put it up here in hopes it does; I shot this wide open; runner coming toward me. My usual pp in PS. (This looks way(!) softer here than it does on my iMac.)

View attachment 112911

Hard to tell from that as it all looks a bit soft to me. Renders lovely though that lens.

Unfortunately I can't post examples as my Macbook decided to pop its clogs yesterday :(

?..Hard to tell from that as it all looks a bit soft to me. Renders lovely though that lens.

Unfortunately I can't post examples as my Macbook decided to pop its clogs yesterday :(

Ya, not sure why it looks so soft. The only thing different I did was upload the image straight from my hard drive to the forum rather than posting to Flickr and linking from there. The original is much softer than what translated to here.

Ya, not sure why it looks so soft. The only thing different I did was upload the image straight from my hard drive to the forum rather than posting to Flickr and linking from there. The original is much softer than what translated to here.
I'm sure you meant much sharper ;)

Shooting kids on swing at 85mm 1.4 you are not scared! It turn out pretty well!
Thanks. I took some at 50mm too and nearly got kicked in the face a couple of times :LOL:

Last edited:
Impressed with Panamoz service. Sent my Nikon UK quote to them yesterday and the money’s in my account this morning.

Wonder if Nikon UK will be as fast :p

Didn't you say that the MacBook packed up? Remember you considering replacing earlier in the year, is it fixable?
Yes it died on Thursday :( TBH it's been on its way out for a while and I've kept being able to revive it but this time it's a gonner. It's been needing replacing for a while a certain programs (including LR) don't support the GPU anymore. It can be fixed but is likely to go again so with this and the fact it's out of date I've had to bite the bullet and buy a new one which should arrive in a week or so. I'm still crying at the cost :eek:

Fortunately I have an iMac as well but that's kind of out of action at the moment as I'm using it to retrieve all the old stuff off the old disc ready for the new one.

Yes it died on Thursday :( TBH it's been on its way out for a while and I've kept being able to revive it but this time it's a gonner. It's been needing replacing for a while a certain programs (including LR) don't support the GPU anymore. It can be fixed but is likely to go again so with this and the fact it's out of date I've had to bite the bullet and buy a new one which should arrive in a week or so. I'm still crying at the cost :eek:

Fortunately I have an iMac as well but that's kind of out of action at the moment as I'm using it to retrieve all the old stuff off the old disc ready for the new one.

I'm still paying for mine! Which one you go for?

I'm still paying for mine! Which one you go for?
Latest one with the touch bar. Annoying that they've removed the SD card slot so I need to buy an adapter now, bloody apple. Upgraded to the 1TB SSD. Ideally wanted 2TB but not willing to pay Apple's extortionate price for the upgrade, 1TB was bad enough. Would've liked to upgrade the CPU from 2.9GHz i7 to 3.1Ghz i7 but again sempt a lot of money for little benefit.

Fingers crossed with the compatible CPU, faster and newer processor plus the new LR update (which I've still not done yet) it will run noticeably faster and I'll get far fewer spinning wheels of death ;)

Latest one with the touch bar. Annoying that they've removed the SD card slot so I need to buy an adapter now, bloody apple. Upgraded to the 1TB SSD. Ideally wanted 2TB but not willing to pay Apple's extortionate price for the upgrade, 1TB was bad enough. Would've liked to upgrade the CPU from 2.9GHz i7 to 3.1Ghz i7 but again sempt a lot of money for little benefit.

Fingers crossed with the compatible CPU, faster and newer processor plus the new LR update (which I've still not done yet) it will run noticeably faster and I'll get far fewer spinning wheels of death ;)

I bought one of these and keep meaning to buy another - cheap, simple and works a treat. Haven't used my Sandisk one since.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KiWiBiRD-A...=1508586830&sr=8-9&keywords=usb/c+card+reader

Mine runs flawlessly at the moment, really impressed with it.

I did buy a load of leads to update everything which cost a bit (monitor lead; a single USB-USB-C; one for my Wacom Tablet; one for my mirrored drives that I store my files on). Only went with the 256gb version as it only has the OS on it.

I did buy a cheap 4 way USB thing that doesn't work very well, hence upgraded properly in the end.

Last edited:
I did buy a load of leads to update everything which cost a bit (monitor lead; a single USB-USB-C; one for my Wacom Tablet; one for my mirrored drives that I store my files on). Only went with the 256gb version as it only has the OS on it.

I did buy a cheap 4 way USB thing that doesn't work very well, hence upgraded properly in the end.
I've got 232GB of photos (final jpegs) let alone music and videos etc :eek: All my RAWs get transferred to external drives once I've done with them.

I've got 232GB of photos (final jpegs) let alone music and videos etc :eek: All my RAWs get transferred to external drives once I've done with them.

I think my music and photo's equate to around 1.5TB.

I bought a 1TB version of this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-Rugg...d=1508587382&sr=8-6&keywords=usb-c+hard+drive

And so for critical work I import onto the Mac whilst duplicate a copy to this drive so that it's backed up.

Usually work on the files whilst on the Mac to help with mobility and once complete, transfer them onto my mirrored drives which then gets added to a NAS system too. Normally pick the best of the best and create smart copies which end up in a collection and so on Lightroom mobile.

PS. Do you always create a final jpeg for everything? I used to do that but no longer. Unnecessary additional space I figured?

I think my music and photo's equate to around 1.5TB.

I bought a 1TB version of this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-Rugg...d=1508587382&sr=8-6&keywords=usb-c+hard+drive

And so for critical work I import onto the Mac whilst duplicate a copy to this drive so that it's backed up.

Usually work on the files whilst on the Mac to help with mobility and once complete, transfer them onto my mirrored drives which then gets added to a NAS system too. Normally pick the best of the best and create smart copies which end up in a collection and so on Lightroom mobile.
I like to have main things on the internal drive as I like to have peripherals plugged in as little as possible on my laptop. The other reason that I like to have most things on the internal drive is that time machine only backs up the internal drive (AFAIK). I do make drag and drop backups of music and photos onto external drives too just for belt and braces, although maybe not as often as I should.

Tbh I don't understand NAS and stuff like that, too complex for me ;)

PS. Do you always create a final jpeg for everything? I used to do that but no longer. Unnecessary additional space I figured?
Oh hell no, I'd have far too much garbage if I did ;) TBH when I get the new system I'm going to go through a bit of a culling process and I'm hoping to at least half the photos. I won't get rid of Holiday and family pics obviously, but outside of that if I'm being brutally honest I'm probably only happy with about a dozen of my photos if that.

So 2nd outing with the 2.8e and it’s defiantly me accidentally turning the focus.

For me, moving the zoom to the front is just a flaw. Holding the lens is just not comfortable for me.

I’m not sure the reasons behind this move, if it was for more balance then I still think they got it wrong!

It’s a shame as was shooting indoor equestrian and it performed very well when I figured out the best way to hold it.

Unfortunately this become quite uncomfortable. I am thinking of shifting it on which is a shame, but I want to enjoy my lenses!!

Back