Nikon D750 & D780

The sequential dsc number given to each image.
Ahh right, that's not the shutter count as the numbers will reset after 9999 (depending on how you've set your camera up). However, if that's saying that you're on 6000 odd then it's clearly done a lot more than the website suggests ;)

How weird I don't get Nikon or Picture S... on my inspector. Have you done anything special to get these options?

Just opened the original file.

Preview 8.1

El Capitan

Preview 8.1

El Capitan
Odd, I don't recall ever seeing it on any of the OS's. Wonder if it's something in the export, do you use Lightroom or PS, or are you saying it's the RAW file?

Preview 8.1

El Capitan

Odd, I don't recall ever seeing it on any of the OS's. Wonder if it's something in the export, do you use Lightroom or PS, or are you saying it's the RAW file?

Ahh, just tried it opening the original RAW rather than exported jpeg and I get the rest of the options, e.g. Nikon etc (y)

Anyone got a third party battery grip they don't need and want to sell? I bought the Nikon one along with another D750 a week or so ago and it arrived with the catch broken on one of the battery trays, they are picking it up and sending me a replacement but in an ideal world I could be doing with one for later in the week and the replacement will take a little time. Have a wanted thread opened for one here.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-for-nikon-d750-third-party-preferred.666926/

Anyone got a third party battery grip they don't need and want to sell? I bought the Nikon one along with another D750 a week or so ago and it arrived with the catch broken on one of the battery trays, they are picking it up and sending me a replacement but in an ideal world I could be doing with one for later in the week and the replacement will take a little time. Have a wanted thread opened for one here.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-for-nikon-d750-third-party-preferred.666926/
I've replied to your wanted thread, I have a Nikon grip that could be available.

I'll have to have a nose at this. Definitely something I shall get hold of over the coming year/s. Bit torn though as I'm Elinchrom for indoors stuff but my OCF gear is Godox.

For weddings I can't be bothered lugging about pop up softboxes and the like, so the fit doesn't really matter.

The AD200 is a lot more powerful than my speedlights, the battery pack is nice, the swappable heads between fresnel and bare bulb is great plus my MagMod Grip fits on the fresnel head.

For weddings I can't be bothered lugging about pop up softboxes and the like, so the fit doesn't really matter.

The AD200 is a lot more powerful than my speedlights, the battery pack is nice, the swappable heads between fresnel and bare bulb is great plus my MagMod Grip fits on the fresnel head.
What do you use to diffuse the light if you don't use soft boxes etc, just bounce?

What do you use to diffuse the light if you don't use soft boxes etc, just bounce?

Bounce or the MagMod sphere mainly. WHich obviously isn't huge, but better than nothing.

I used to take pop up softboxes, but they're a faff and get in the way and you end up missing moments because you're dicking about with making your light as soft as possible, and clients don't give a monkeys.

A question for anyone that has had to send the d750 back for the shutter recall. Do nikon send out any packaging for the camera? I have just arranged for my spare d750 to be sorted, but they don't say if they send any packaging for it.
TIA - Terry
I just boxed it up and sent it back. I did see you could get a Freepost sticker. But I think the was just for warranty claims.

I just boxed it up and sent it back. I did see you could get a Freepost sticker. But I think the was just for warranty claims.
Oh well if thats the case will have to trundle upto the loft and get the box - Don't like how the onus is on me to ensure it is packaged right, cause if it gets damaged in transit who foots the bill?

Oh well if thats the case will have to trundle upto the loft and get the box - Don't like how the onus is on me to ensure it is packaged right, cause if it gets damaged in transit who foots the bill?
I just used a normal cardboard box that my 35mm lens came in. Wrapped it in bubble wraps lots. Then packed it with newspaper. Then sent it via tnt.

A question for anyone that has had to send the d750 back for the shutter recall. Do nikon send out any packaging for the camera? I have just arranged for my spare d750 to be sorted, but they don't say if they send any packaging for it.
TIA - Terry

No.
I kept my box so just placed that in an old cardboard box as outer. It is my understanding once despatched it is insured by them.
They mail you labels to affix to outer box and you then take it to the post office where it is collected. It is important you get proof of despatch at the P.O. I've done this a few times now (shutter recalls and warranty repairs) and it has always worked fine.

No.
I kept my box so just placed that in an old cardboard box as outer. It is my understanding once despatched it is insured by them.
They mail you labels to affix to outer box and you then take it to the post office where it is collected. It is important you get proof of despatch at the P.O. I've done this a few times now (shutter recalls and warranty repairs) and it has always worked fine.
Thanks Pete! I will use another box, as it's possible they won't send the original box back, & given that I may well move onto a pair of sony a7rIII's soon, I will need the boxes.

So are lens hood designs purely made for each model so that the shape of the 'petals' work with the lens?

Just asking as the 70-200 2.8e hood fits on the VRII but is a different design. Its a better hood and a bit stronger and allows you to rest the lens down, but will the different design cause any issues?

So are lens hood designs purely made for each model so that the shape of the 'petals' work with the lens?

Just asking as the 70-200 2.8e hood fits on the VRII but is a different design. Its a better hood and a bit stronger and allows you to rest the lens down, but will the different design cause any issues?

Yes, for example a wide angle lens will have have a much wider ‘flower’ shaped shallow hood as opposed to a deeper longer hood for a telephoto.

Yes, for example a wide angle lens will have have a much wider ‘flower’ shaped shallow hood as opposed to a deeper longer hood for a telephoto.

Yeah I get that, but they are both 70-200 lenses so was not sure if the same applied.

Tbh I just tend to do it when I first get the computer and then probably once/year after that. I know they say every month but I’ve never seen a change after a year let alone a month.

Going to have a play with the new LR tomorrow so am interested to see if it’s any quicker.

What conclusion did you find Toby?

Must admit that I had 400 odd images to get through over the weekend and didn't really notice an improvement through the workflow. If anything, there was a little drag for no known reason that I could work out. There were some really odd colour shifts in a room yesterday where we had a party and don't recall the lighting (strange for me as it's my profession lol). Manually faffing with white balance isn't fun, but it's an extreme rare case.

Last edited:

Must admit that I had 400 odd images to get through over the weekend and didn't really notice an improvement through the workflow. If anything, there was a little drag for no known reason that I could work out. There were some really odd colour shifts in a room yesterday where we had a party and don't recall the lighting (strange for me as it's my profession lol). Manually faffing with white balance isn't fun, but it's an extreme rare case.

LR Classic seems to generate previews faster for me, and if you haven't pre-loaded previews, it shows the embedded jpeg so it's a lot faster for culling.

Can't tell a great deal of difference tbh. Boot up time is much quicker, and I've not encountered any lags/freezes yet which I sometimes got using the clone brush. Importing seemed quicker also.

Can't tell a great deal of difference tbh. Boot up time is much quicker, and I've not encountered any lags/freezes yet which I sometimes got using the clone brush. Importing seemed quicker also.

Boot up time is definitely quicker, as is moving between modules.

LR Classic seems to generate previews faster for me, and if you haven't pre-loaded previews, it shows the embedded jpeg so it's a lot faster for culling.

I always build a standard preview as part of the import. Is it quicker not to for culling purposes?

I always build a standard preview as part of the import. Is it quicker not to for culling purposes?
I assume not building previews will be quicker and then you can build them after the culling. I've never done it that way before but makes sense.

I assume not building previews will be quicker and then you can build them after the culling. I've never done it that way before but makes sense.

There's always a couple of second delay to view 100% whatever I do? Default to 'standard' but have tried them all at one time. Am I missing something?

Does it?

Maybe it's semantics. But, doesn't not having a preview suggest that you're having to view the whole file?

There's always a couple of second delay to view 100% whatever I do? Default to 'standard' but have tried them all at one time. Am I missing something?
I've always had a delay too no matter if I've build 1:1 previews or standard. Next time I import some photos I'll try 1:1 previews and see if that makes any difference. Not sure if caches make any difference as once I've zoomed into an image 1:1 it will then zoom into 1:1 instantly if I zoom in and out.

Does it?

Maybe it's semantics. But, doesn't not having a preview suggest that you're having to view the whole file?
Good point, dunno ;)

The sequential dsc number given to each image.

Ahh right, that's not the shutter count as the numbers will reset after 9999 (depending on how you've set your camera up). However, if that's saying that you're on 6000 odd then it's clearly done a lot more than the website suggests ;)
If Peter had used a previously formatted card with images on in the D750 then that is one way to get apparently odd file numbers ...

Does it?

There's a JPG embedded in the RAW file, that's what PhotoMechanic looks at. It seems like until the proper preview is generated, LR will now display the embedded image.

I always build them as well, but, if you now start flicking through the images in the Library module while it's still generating the previews, it's a lot faster than it was :)

Back