Nikon D750 & D780

The Sigma 35 Art is the best lens you can buy in that focal length for Nikon regardless of what money you would spend it absolutely spanks the Nikon 35mm f/1.4.

Beg to differ! Can’t see how that lens can be any better, prefer the rendering over the siggy and mines as sharp as a tack. Whilst the siggy is one of their best, the QC lottery still looks an issue. The Nikon 35 1.4 is bombproof.

Beg to differ! Can’t see how that lens can be any better, prefer the rendering over the siggy and mines as sharp as a tack. Whilst the siggy is one of their best, the QC lottery still looks an issue. The Nikon 35 1.4 is bombproof.

You think so, the 2 copies we have had of the Nikon 35 f/1.4 weren't very sharp (compared to the Sigma) and suffered very badly with C.A. I guess there can be copy variation but I found it very poor compared to the Sigma and a few friends of mine who have also had both found the same thing. The nikon has slightly nicer bokeh but other than that we found anyway that the Sigma absolutely spanks it.

Last edited:
You think so, the 2 copies we have had of the Nikon 35 f/1.4 weren't very sharp (compared to the Sigma) and suffered very badly with C.A. I guess there can be copy variation but I found it very poor compared to the Sigma and a few friends of mine who have also had both found the same thing. The nikon has slightly nicer bokeh but other than that we found anyway that the Sigma absolutely spanks it.

I was chatting to Jon from CFSS on Thursday and he said he's seen a massive difference in lenses sent to him for service depending on where they were manufactured, he said the Nikon 35mm F1.4 made in Japan, was spot on, but he'd seen pretty bad results with the same lens but made in China

There could well be copy variation. Mine is plenty sharp enough, it is a Japanese copy too, 3 years old? No problem whatsoever with CA and that’s something that’s bothered me with the odd lens previously as shoot wide open.

I’m convinced of build quality either. Saw one split a few months ago. Time will tell as to how that works out.

Last edited:
I was chatting to Jon from CFSS on Thursday and he said he's seen a massive difference in lenses sent to him for service depending on where they were manufactured, he said the Nikon 35mm F1.4 made in Japan, was spot on, but he'd seen pretty bad results with the same lens but made in China

Can't remember for definite if ours were made in Japan or China, have a feeling we might of had one of each as one was older and bought used, can't say I noticed any difference between the two but not 100% sure that they were manufactured in different countries. We haven't had them for about 18 months. We had the Sigma first and then bought 2 of the Nikons, decided we much preferred the Sigma so sold them on and bought another Sigma. As it's ended up now we now have a spare Sigma as I have switched from using a 35/85 combo to a 20/50 combo. Will probably just hold on to it though as who knows might drift back to a 35/85 combo again at some point.

Last edited:
Bit rusty in the home studio and boy have you gotta be patient with the little ones. It wasn't working at all, the little lady was past it, far too tired. The only half useable image was this one, and to be fair I didn't nail the lighting as I'd have liked, so too much PS to get something half useable. Well, trying to do something for a xmas card. Have to give it another go next weekend...

37641724605_6e531401c8_b.jpg

Bit rusty in the home studio and boy have you gotta be patient with the little ones. It wasn't working at all, the little lady was past it, far too tired. The only half useable image was this one, and to be fair I didn't nail the lighting as I'd have liked, so too much PS to get something half useable. Well, trying to do something for a xmas card. Have to give it another go next weekend...

That is just flat out beautiful! You have no need to explain any shortcomings on this one, it's just a beautiful photo of your girls.

That is just flat out beautiful! You have no need to explain any shortcomings on this one, it's just a beautiful photo of your girls.

Thanks Paul. Here's the SOOC to help appreciate the mess of the lighting. It's a bit of a fine line when you've got a soft box close in. She was really not happy and so literally got this before she was put down. Mum doesn't like how big sis has tightened her hat up so going to have to have another go...

_KPP7653 original by Kris Price, on Flickr

Here's an out take where only a bottle soothed her a bit. Had to faff with her blotchy skin tones here as she'd been crying. Good practise but never ideal. Hand editing isn't my strongest point and consistency isn't perfect.

37641724925_02d24ebe2d_b.jpg

Beautiful picture (y)

Thanks Paul. Here's the SOOC to help appreciate the mess of the lighting. It's a bit of a fine line when you've got a soft box close in. She was really not happy and so literally got this before she was put down. Mum doesn't like how big sis has tightened her hat up so going to have to have another go...

Here's an out take where only a bottle soothed her a bit. Had to faff with her blotchy skin tones here as she'd been crying. Good practise but never ideal. Hand editing isn't my strongest point and consistency isn't perfect.

Gotta love that PP allows us to rescue images so much more, definitely worth it to get the final image that you did. Would have been a real shame to have lost this shot.

As much as i like your photo and like how you process the colors. I don't see why you need to edit out blotchy skin, spot and this kind of stuff on a little girl. At the end of the day that kids and how they are. I like it too when it's about being lively and pulling faces especially when it's your own kids. Catching a moment. To me a blotchy skin, a spot or a bump don't make a difference to a picture has it's the expression and the eyes which are talking. On the second picture the blotchy skin is really not bad and it actually tell a story, "I cried and now i've got my bottle and my sister and this make me feel good, happy me again".

I also find the smile of the second better, just that little bit more "silly daddy" kind of smile.

Last edited:
As much as i like your photo and like how you process the colors. I don't see why you need to edit out blotchy skin, spot and this kind of stuff on a little girl. At the end of the day that kids and how they are. I like it too when it's about being lively and pulling faces especially when it's your own kids. Catching a moment. To me a blotchy skin, a spot or a bump don't make a difference to a picture has it's the expression and the eyes which are talking. On the second picture the blotchy skin is really not bad and it actually tell a story, "I cried and now i've got my bottle and my sister and this make me feel good, happy me again".
To me there's a difference between trying to get the perfect studio shot and capturing real life. Obviously ymmv with this but Kris was clearly trying to get the former and I'd have done the same (y)

I also find the smile of the second better, just that little bit more "silly daddy" kind of smile.

It's quite subjective, and to a point, I agree. I do like the 'out-takes' but the polished versions with the right expressions are the ones that get shown/bought/cherished etc. The second picture has had the blotchiness tones toned down a lot, but not to the point that it's completely gone, I left the reddish nose on purpose.

Beautiful picture (y)

Gotta love that PP allows us to rescue images so much more, definitely worth it to get the final image that you did. Would have been a real shame to have lost this shot.

Yup, and shooting at base ISO leaves you a ridiculous amount of DR to play with. BUT, the idea of the studio is so that you can control most variables. The PP should enhance, not dominate.

To me there's a difference between trying to get the perfect studio shot and capturing real life. Obviously ymmv with this but Kris was clearly trying to get the former and I'd have done the same (y)

My point was, that all hell was breaking loose at this point and sitting her in the exact perfect spot, with the perfect expression, just wasn't happening. Hence the second shot with the bottle. Grateful I got something relatively useable, but the lighting wasn't falling off exactly where I would have wanted. A little dodge and burn is commonplace in portraiture.

My point was, that all hell was breaking loose at this point and sitting her in the exact perfect spot, with the perfect expression, just wasn't happening. Hence the second shot with the bottle. Grateful I got something relatively useable, but the lighting wasn't falling off exactly where I would have wanted. A little dodge and burn is commonplace in portraiture.
Nicely rescued and thanks for sharing the SOOC. Which stands are you using for the backdrop?

Nicely rescued and thanks for sharing the SOOC. Which stands are you using for the backdrop?

Its the flash centre’s background kit which is made up of two of the standard elinchrom clip lock stands and a telescopic manfrotto bar. Only had a half roll on for this (1.35M) it’s still a faff getting a 2M roll into my living room, which I do do at times.

Poxy MacBook has frozen again exactly as before. Won’t respond to a force reboot and you can’t just disconnect the battery FFS. Might have to wait a good day or more to run out or a week to have it looked at. I take it all back!! Second time since the upgrade to high Sierra.

Poxy MacBook has frozen again exactly as before. Won’t respond to a force reboot and you can’t just disconnect the battery FFS. Might have to wait a good day or more to run out or a week to have it looked at. I take it all back!! Second time since the upgrade to high Sierra.
10 seconds of the power key isn't rebooting/shutting down the mac?

10 seconds of the power key isn't rebooting/shutting down the mac?

Nope. Neither are the other myriad of combinations. Did this 10 days ago, took it to a reseller and one of the combinations worked for him. Have to try later until the battery runs out but there’s clearly an inherent issue that does need looking at. Can’t help but think a big in high Sierra.

Nope. Neither are the other myriad of combinations. Did this 10 days ago, took it to a reseller and one of the combinations worked for him. Have to try later until the battery runs out but there’s clearly an inherent issue that does need looking at. Can’t help but think a big in high Sierra.
That's a pain in the ass. Can't say I've ever experienced this. Hope you get it sorted. I'll hold off updating for some time.

Have to try later until the battery runs out

Would it ever go completely flat? My guess is there is a sensor which detects 'nearly' flat and then shuts down to protect anything which is stuck in RAM/Memory - so never flat, dead as a dead thing, flat

Would it ever go completely flat? My guess is there is a sensor which detects 'nearly' flat and then shuts down to protect anything which is stuck in RAM/Memory - so never flat, dead as a dead thing, flat

I have rebooted VRAM, so should do. Have to see what happens, it suddenly responded to a forced reboot after a while last time?

Seems there are a few reports of freezing after updating to High Sierra :(

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8097885?start=0&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8101384?start=0&tstart=0

And many more. Have you run first aid on your hard drive?

Seems there are a few reports of freezing after updating to High Sierra :(

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8097885?start=0&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8101384?start=0&tstart=0

And many more. Have you run first aid on your hard drive?

I didn’t after last time must confess. I’ve managed to get through to a senior engineer but it won’t reboot. It’s hung on something and clearly doing a process so he’s advised to let the battery drain and we’ll speak.

I didn’t after last time must confess. I’ve managed to get through to a senior engineer but it won’t reboot. It’s hung on something and clearly doing a process so he’s advised to let the battery drain and we’ll speak.
Sounds like something interfering with the boot up process. I had a similar problem with my old MBP. Tried restoring from time machine but TM clearly had the same file/program that was interfering with the boot up process. Did a manual back up of all my files and the did a fresh instal of the OS, and then manually transferred all my files back and all worked OK. Never found out what it was that was causing the issue, some kernel of some kind. Whether it was from a program extension or something I don't know.

Sounds like something interfering with the boot up process. I had a similar problem with my old MBP. Tried restoring from time machine but TM clearly had the same file/program that was interfering with the boot up process. Did a manual back up of all my files and the did a fresh instal of the OS, and then manually transferred all my files back and all worked OK. Never found out what it was that was causing the issue, some kernel of some kind. Whether it was from a program extension or something I don't know.

I’ve managed to close it down so waiting for the Apple engineer to call back as he wants to go through the diagnosis. Reading that top discussion thread you posted, it doesn’t sound like reinstalls will work as there’s firmware still evident, or it didn’t for those posting.

I’ve managed to close it down so waiting for the Apple engineer to call back as he wants to go through the diagnosis. Reading that top discussion thread you posted, it doesn’t sound like reinstalls will work as there’s firmware still evident, or it didn’t for those posting.
Depends what's causing the issue I guess. Might be something fundamental with the OS, or it might just be you've got an extension or something from some software that doesn't play nice with High Sierra.

Depends what's causing the issue I guess. Might be something fundamental with the OS, or it might just be you've got an extension or something from some software that doesn't play nice with High Sierra.

Gone through a few things and ran a repair with the engineer. There were a few old items booting up at the same time and so removed those, leaving mostly Creative Cloud. See how it goes and I've got his direct details. Good service really, in the end.

One thing through this whole process that I have learnt that isn't so well noted is, that the touch button is not only the power button, but is pressure sensitive too. I think I wasn't pressing hard enough possibly at times. When you power down and start using by pressing it, it actually clicks like a normal button. Sounds silly, but it's almost used as a touch sensitive pad and not a button 99% of the time.

Gone through a few things and ran a repair with the engineer. There were a few old items booting up at the same time and so removed those, leaving mostly Creative Cloud. See how it goes and I've got his direct details. Good service really, in the end.

One thing through this whole process that I have learnt that isn't so well noted is, that the touch button is not only the power button, but is pressure sensitive too. I think I wasn't pressing hard enough possibly at times. When you power down and start using by pressing it, it actually clicks like a normal button. Sounds silly, but it's almost used as a touch sensitive pad and not a button 99% of the time.
Fingers crossed it's sorted. Interesting re the Touch ID button, I didn't realise that (y). Have you noticed any issue with the GPU slowing down after the MBP's been awoken from sleep? This issue's still putting me off the update tbh. Strange it only affects the new radeon GPUs in the touch bar MBP's :confused:

Fingers crossed it's sorted. Interesting re the Touch ID button, I didn't realise that (y). Have you noticed any issue with the GPU slowing down after the MBP's been awoken from sleep? This issue's still putting me off the update tbh. Strange it only affects the new radeon GPUs in the touch bar MBP's :confused:

Exactly that, it's called a bloody Touch ID button, not power button too lol! Sounds so stupid but Apple getting too clever for simple ppl like me.

Haven't looked at the GPU yet... but that seems to be where the issue is.

Exactly that, it's called a bloody Touch ID button, not power button too lol! Sounds so stupid but Apple getting too clever for simple ppl like me.

Haven't looked at the GPU yet... but that seems to be where the issue is.
Yeah, me too ;) I still find it weird that if you power it down it automatically starts up when you raise the lid, no having to press the on button. I can't tell if I properly shut it down or if it just went to sleep :LOL:

Yeah, me too ;) I still find it weird that if you power it down it automatically starts up when you raise the lid, no having to press the on button. I can't tell if I properly shut it down or if it just went to sleep :LOL:

Ditto. But the button is there and depress if you press it hard enough.

Ditto. But the button is there and depress if you press it hard enough.
Yeah, I've found the button. But I normally shut down via the apple menu, which does appear to shut down as per usual, but as I said it turns itself back on as soon as I open the lid. No biggie, just a bit weird ;)

I`ll stick to Windows I think Apple is too much for me :dummy:

I've been playing with an idea for the last week or so.

Basically my mum has upgraded her d5200 to a d7100 and i'm pretty sure she's going to give me the d5200 if i wanted it. So i like the idea of rocking two bodies, but understand its an entry level body, that said they do say glass over bodies.

In an ideal world i'd have my 85mm 1.8 on one and a 35mm 1.4 on the other. I'm so tempted to buy the sigma 35mm 1.4 art, but i'm not really sure it's going to work if i was to take the other body. After all, the 35mm would be more like a 52mm on the d5200, so not much difference between the 52 and the 85mm. I really wanted it for the environmental portraits.

What do you think? In an ideal world i'd have 2 full frames with 35 and a 85... but i can't afford 35mm and another full frame body.

Last edited:
Back