Nikon D750 & D780

They are superb Deci.

And that's lovely too Guy. Interesting your comment about the 58 1.4 - seems to have not quite established itself in general, what strengths have you found?

I adore the focal length, often finding 85mm a little too far, and this lens is nice but nailed on for what I shoot - people, often in low light. It draws so well and I'm sold on the rendering.

Essex-wedding-photography-Carly-and-Dan-140-of-169.jpg

The-Barn-at-Bury-Court-wedding-photograhy-Heather-and-Chris-115-of-174.jpg

The-Barn-at-Bury-Court-wedding-photograhy-Heather-and-Chris-124-of-174.jpg

The-Barn-at-Bury-Court-wedding-photograhy-Heather-and-Chris-138-of-174.jpg

The-Barn-at-Bury-Court-wedding-photograhy-Heather-and-Chris-141-of-174.jpg

Some crackers there Guy, especially like the photo of the bloke in-between heads, lovely framing.

Nice Guy. I'm a little underwhelmed with Nikons 50's having been spoilt with the 35G & 85G, maybe the 58G would fill the void? Though that said, I am going to have to be a little more sensible with my purchases, there's a bit more of a premium for this one.

It's a funny lens. Some people really don't like it. Those that do really love it. I'm firmly in the latter camp and if you're shooting what it's aimed at it looks like no other 50mm range lens out there.

Got my D750 last week. Great camera but I have a problem with the focus points, hoping you guys can shed some light. I have tuned my lenses but when I focus on something it's like it shifts, for example if I focus on lettering I will look at the LCD and the focus point would have shifted to the left!

Could it be the mirror is not aligned properly?

Got my D750 last week. Great camera but I have a problem with the focus points, hoping you guys can shed some light. I have tuned my lenses but when I focus on something it's like it shifts, for example if I focus on lettering I will look at the LCD and the focus point would have shifted to the left!

Mine did this - I sent it to Nikon who say they've repaired it. It's due back on Monday.

If I focussed on an eye the focus confirmation square would have shown the focus to be the eyebrow etc and if at f1.8, the eye would be slightly out!

Mine did this - I sent it to Nikon who say they've repaired it. It's due back on Monday.

If I focussed on an eye the focus confirmation square would have shown the focus to be the eyebrow etc and if at f1.8, the eye would be slightly out!

Cheers Dilip, looks like mine will be going back to be re-aligned.

Maybe a stupid question, but have you locked the focus lock selector, if so, is it still happening?. Not sure if it would make a difference but worth trying.

Cheers Dilip, looks like mine will be going back to be re-aligned.

Last edited:
Tried that but no change. More noticable on the outer focus points.

Also, does it happen in all modes, AFA, AFC & AFS ???......... if so, something must be definately out of line.

Wouldn't either the retailer you bought it from or Nikon themselves be a better bet?

I was going to add, the outer focus points are way out. For example if I setup a grid of letters 1-9 and focus on the 5 in the middle using the outer right focus point, the camera focusses closer to the space between 6 and 9. Vice versa, if I focussed on 5 using the outer left focus point, the camera focusses somewhere near between 4 and 7.

anyone else shooting with a mix of D750's and D810's? I'm getting close to 17k images now on my D750 (having been using two D810's) and loving the pairing. The 70-200 F4 has been a revelation too (its relatively tiny), when I need more reach than my usual 85mm its such a stealthy way of doing it without having to attach a f/2.8 bazooka to the front of the camera.

Last edited:
anyone else shooting with a mix of D750's and D810's? I'm getting close to 17k images now on my D750 (having been using two D810's) and loving the pairing. The 70-200 F4 has been a revelation too (its relatively tiny), when I need more reach than my usual 85mm its such a stealthy way of doing it without having to attach a f/2.8 bazooka to the front of the camera.

Yep I'm using that combination, both great cameras.

Mines a grey so I'll send it to fixation and the seller will cover the cost. Probably faster than Nikon!
Nikon might repair it if you chose to contact them. I know they have no issue with repairing out of warranty grey's..

Last edited:
Easier for me to get it fixed at Fixation, dropped it off on the way home. Besides it's not costing me anything and hopefully a quicker turn around time. I know Nikon where fixing imports if it had the flare issue, not sure if they will fix anything else.

OK, because I am playing right now and don't fancy ploughing my way through 80 pages of thread... D750 RAW files and lightroom 4.4 - yay or nay, is there a work around?

I'm using lightroom 4 and a d750 and it's a nope. No update for it either. Have been told to get lightroom 5 at least, or the new lightroom 6.

Until then, I'm shooting RAW+JPEG (saving the RAW for when I get LR6)

Last edited:
Cannot you just convert the NEF files to DNG files and then import them in LR

OK, because I am playing right now and don't fancy ploughing my way through 80 pages of thread... D750 RAW files and lightroom 4.4 - yay or nay, is there a work around?

I'm using lightroom 4 and a d750 and it's a nope. No update for it either. Have been told to get lightroom 5 at least, or the new lightroom 6.

Until then, I'm shooting RAW+JPEG (saving the RAW for when I get LR6)

I suspect you know, but Creative Cloud latest and regular updated, and PS, £9 PM :)

Right, thats installing. Just been playing with the first of a pair of D750s I just got, but will do some proper messing around tomorrow. Feel very odd in the hand after gripped 700's, its like going back to my D70s, but nice to have smaller camera again I must confess.

Mine was doing this too. Think it sorted itself out when the the flare issue was sorted (or maybe I just haven't noticed it).

Right, thats installing. Just been playing with the first of a pair of D750s I just got, but will do some proper messing around tomorrow. Feel very odd in the hand after gripped 700's, its like going back to my D70s, but nice to have smaller camera again I must confess.

Hi Yv, I think you'll enjoy using these it's surprising how useful the LCD articulated screen is. It's Great for getting down on one knee and photographing very small bridesmaids, children and animals etc.

I not a fan of using the screen rather than eyepiece to compose shots on any camera, but the articulating bit has got me out of a pinch a couple of times where I've needed to hold the camera up high, I'm sure holding it down low will become more useful as time goes on and my knees continue to age faster than the rest of me, I just need to remember the feature is there.

Hi Yv, I think you'll enjoy using these it's surprising how useful the LCD articulated screen is. It's Great for getting down on one knee and photographing very small bridesmaids, children and animals etc.

I not a fan of using the screen rather than eyepiece to compose shots on any camera, but the articulating bit has got me out of a pinch a couple of times where I've needed to hold the camera up high, I'm sure holding it down low will become more useful as time goes on and my knees continue to age faster than the rest of me, I just need to remember the feature is there.

Both those thoughts had crossed my mind, I am not a fan of wiggly screens or liveview, but I guess they will have their uses on occasions.

ETA: Have also checked the 'moving focus point' on one of them, doesn't seem to be happening, will check the other later today when it's out of its box. No idea about flare issue, will cross that bridge if I come to it.

I have also sat down, with the manual [shock horror] and got settings where I need them, will do same with the other later also, then tomorrow night they will be getting their first serious run out at Black Tie Dinner. Together with a wedding on Saturday, those two gigs will help me decide if I am going to grip them or enjoy the lighter weight now I use primes more frequently too.

Last edited:
The foldy out screen really came into its own on the ice beach. Lying down on the sand for super low angles really isn't a good idea - those waves move a LOT faster than I could ever have got up from a prone position, let alone now! One knee to upright and a swift walk backwards is possible though and that got me low enough.

Yv, if your bodies are new and UK sourced, they SHOULD (in theory, at least!) be either sorted or from a later batch. Mine is apparently affected but shooting straight into the sun failed to induce flare (let alone flair!)

Interesting, I will watch with interest, you have finally upgraded, I am still hanging on to mine, let us know your thoughts Yvonne

No idea about flare issue, will cross that bridge if I come to it.

My 750 has the flair issue, 17k shots in (mostly weddings + portraits) I've noticed it once and it was something I fixed with a quick crop afterwards, so as far as I'm concerned its still a non issue. I've had the problem with my D810's too, just not quite as bad - the amount of non-easily fixable moire on the D810 is far more of a problem as far as I'm concerned for weddings. I really wouldn't worry about it Yvonne, I probably will send my camera in, but no idea when I'll be able to do without it, but I have just ordered another D750 today :clap:

Last edited:
My 750 has the flair issue, 17k shots in (mostly weddings + portraits) I've noticed it once and it was something I fixed with a quick crop afterwards, so as far as I'm concerned its still a non issue. I've had the problem with my D810's too, just not quite as bad - the amount of non-easily fixable moire on the D810 is far more of a problem as far as I'm concerned for weddings. I really wouldn't worry about it Yvonne, I probably will send my camera in, but no idea when I'll be able to do without it, but I have just ordered another D750 today :clap:

Well I tried pointing one of them at the sun this morning at various angles, with sun fully in frame and progressing to all the way out and onto to well out of frame and nada, so even if its there, frankly I can probably live with it.

Both those thoughts had crossed my mind, I am not a fan of wiggly screens or liveview, but I guess they will have their uses on occasions.

ETA: Have also checked the 'moving focus point' on one of them, doesn't seem to be happening, will check the other later today when it's out of its box. No idea about flare issue, will cross that bridge if I come to it.

I have also sat down, with the manual [shock horror] and got settings where I need them, will do same with the other later also, then tomorrow night they will be getting their first serious run out at Black Tie Dinner. Together with a wedding on Saturday, those two gigs will help me decide if I am going to grip them or enjoy the lighter weight now I use primes more frequently too.

I never considered the articulated screen as useful or desirable feature being a film shooter for years and the first batch of DSLRs but having the feature on the D750 changed my perception and I thought how can I use this creatively. As I get older it's no longer fun laying on the floor getting wet or twisting into awkward positions to get your shot. In balance though I still prefer the view finder over live view and the AF is much faster too.

Last edited:

Giving serious thought to this camera as the D7200 is not enough of an improvement over my D7100,is this a common problem,do you feel its going to turn into another recall situation.

Giving serious thought to this camera as the D7200 is not enough of an improvement over my D7100,is this a common problem,do you feel its going to turn into another recall situation.

I doubt it, unfortunately it can happen to all DSLR's where something might be misaligned causing it to misfocus. This is more prominent on FF as the DOF is more shallow and noticeable. As long as you buy from a good seller they will sort it out.

I always felt the flare issue was blown out of proportion, you had to be shooting in particular circumstance to see it.

Back