Nikon D750 & D780

That's cool, unfortunately I don't shoot jpeg otherwise I'd give these a go. Fortunately I have loads of film presets (including portray, prove and astia) in LR already to give these kinds of looks :D

Me either! And yes, I'm a bit of a preset collector too! New Years resolution --> No more presets :rolleyes::D

Me either! And yes, I'm a bit of a preset collector too! New Years resolution --> No more presets :rolleyes::D
Lol, just seen how my Mac spell corrected the different film names :LOL:

I'm done with presets now. I've tweaked some of the film ones (strangely my favourite being portra) to my preference and now I'm set. You can just go round and round in circles trying presets otherwise ;)

Lol, just seen how my Mac spell corrected the different film names :LOL:

I'm done with presets now. I've tweaked some of the film ones (strangely my favourite being portra) to my preference and now I'm set. You can just go round and round in circles trying presets otherwise ;)

Totally, I go round and round and round messing about, still trying to find a real preference I like - need to shoot more, preset less!

I know a couple of people who've been for the sturgeon. They both say DO IT! :D

I don't think it could get any better.

Have done Spain a couple of times on the Ebro for the cats (away from the nonsense around mequenenza) which was superb. But the Canadian landscape as a backdrop I think would trump that. I know people that have been after the Nile perch too but that really is more likely that you won't catch anything.

I don't think it could get any better.

Have done Spain a couple of times on the Ebro for the cats (away from the nonsense around mequenenza) which was superb. But the Canadian landscape as a backdrop I think would trump that. I know people that have been after the Nile perch too but that really is more likely that you won't catch anything.
The Nile perch thing in Egypt was good in the early days by all accounts. Fishing abroad has never appealed to me for some reason, even though I know plenty of people who do it regularly. Still looking forward to reading this though - http://i68.tinypic.com/n30ktv.jpg

The Nile perch thing in Egypt was good in the early days by all accounts. Fishing abroad has never appealed to me for some reason, even though I know plenty of people who do it regularly. Still looking forward to reading this though - http://i68.tinypic.com/n30ktv.jpg

I've hardly done any since I moved and had a family. Went a few times Sep/Oct on a local small river but the otter made me wonder what exactly is really left, so present was he every time I went. The mojo isn't what it used to be as I just haven't the time like I used to. That's why photography has taken over, it's something that I can do for a few minutes or a couple of hours in my time. I like the challenging fishing which unfortunately lends itself to time, maybe in retirement.

Abroad is fun from a sociable aspect but I think those days are gone too for now.

I've hardly done any since I moved and had a family. Went a few times Sep/Oct on a local small river but the otter made me wonder what exactly is really left, so present was he every time I went. The mojo isn't what it used to be as I just haven't the time like I used to. That's why photography has taken over, it's something that I can do for a few minutes or a couple of hours in my time. I like the challenging fishing which unfortunately lends itself to time, maybe in retirement.

Abroad is fun from a sociable aspect but I think those days are gone too for now.

I prefer my fish in newspaper.... along with my chips :D

I used to be an obsessive angler fishing at least twice a week and travelling all over the UK, but over the last five years or so I've run out of challenges and photography has taken over for me too. Still a few fish I'd like to catch, but not when it's cold and/or wet these days!

I used to be an obsessive angler fishing at least twice a week and travelling all over the UK, but over the last five years or so I've run out of challenges and photography has taken over for me too. Still a few fish I'd like to catch, but not when it's cold and/or wet these days!

Exactly the same here. It doesn’t work well with a family, when the bug bites. Too many friends have nice albums of fish, but no family.

Keep looking at the piking gear hanging up, maybe over the xmas break...

Last edited:
Agreed, cheers... just need to dive into the deep end really.

What do you do when you pay for a model... Is it normally just cash on the day? I appreciate they may want something upfront?
Also what do you do about images, i'm a bit reluctant to give away any images if i'm paying for the shoot.

I offer a deposit. No-one has ever accepted. Then pay cash on the day.
I give a couple of images if the model especially likes any. Not as many as if it was a TF shoot as that would devalue the work of those models I work with TF.

When I give images I don't put a watermark on the images. I ask to be credited & tagged but don't require it. The only thing I do require is that models don't add a filter, make money directly from the image or enter it in a competition without asking.

If you haven't worked with a model at all before - e.g. in a studio club night or taught session - then I seriously recommend paying a highly experienced model. You will learn loads from a good one.
(At the beginning of the year I booked a model - who happens to be a photographer too - to push my creativity and broaden my style.)

Alternatively attend a studio day - you get a 2 hour slot in someone else's studio with an experienced model, with the studio owner on hand to help.

That's fueling the desire to go fish the Fraser river for it's sturgeon - used to be firmly on the bucket list, but the fishing has taken a massive backstep these last 5 years. Still, it's a nice pipe dream to have.

That would be a long way to come for some fishing! The sturgeon are still there; every year there’s a story in the local papers about someone catching a humongous one. Send me a pm if you do decide to come.

Just a heads up.

Geminids meteor shower will be visible from every country on Earth. (Tonight 13th Dec)

That would be a long way to come for some fishing! The sturgeon are still there; every year there’s a story in the local papers about someone catching a humongous one. Send me a pm if you do decide to come.

It's just a pipe dream Paul. I think the landscape is just about as appealing so it would be the perfect mix of fishing and photography.

Looks fun and I have loaded my selection on.
I`ll have to give it a go this week if I can get out.
Thanks

Tried Tri-X briefly today with my Df and it looks pretty good... look forward to seeing some of your results (y)

Enjoyed the Sony very much but the AF was a bit to slow in caf, so had to go. To get faster caf it would mean buying an a9..... thats a lot of money then a lot more for lenses.
Which A7 did you have?

Cool. Did you not fancy giving the A7riii a whirl?

A7riii vs the cost of a d750.... plus then I'd need a lens... the 35 art I already have vs the Sony 35 fe.

Working on new costs that's what 1650 quid vs 4k..... mmmm. Na.

The d750 is a stop gap till Canikon release mirrorless or the a9 comes down a bit more.

Last edited:
Has this D750 thread been closed, 2 days now no posts.

Back