Nikon D750 & D780

stunning dog.
fantastic pictures

Apprently this will be our next dog.
Well if it's anything like ours you'll love him, fantastic well natured breed. Ours (Archie) is so laid back and chilled he is an absolute joy to own, he was an ex Guide Dog who did the first part of his training before they found an eye defect so had to be withdrawn, luckily for us. Hope to see some pics once you get him/her.

Well if it's anything like ours you'll love him, fantastic well natured breed. Ours (Archie) is so laid back and chilled he is an absolute joy to own, he was an ex Guide Dog who did the first part of his training before they found an eye defect so had to be withdrawn, luckily for us. Hope to see some pics once you get him/her.

We have 4 at the min and a baby coming next month so it will have to wait a while. But he is a stunning dog

This evening my camera was not playing very nicely. I was using it in not so bright condition with built-in flash. The camera would take only a few shot and then decide not to take more pictures. No error message either. Focus was working. Display show r11 when trying to take a picture but the shot would not fire. After a while or turning on-off it worked again but it keep happening.
Any ideas?

This evening my camera was not playing very nicely. I was using it in not so bright condition with built-in flash. The camera would take only a few shot and then decide not to take more pictures. No error message either. Focus was working. Display show r11 when trying to take a picture but the shot would not fire. After a while or turning on-off it worked again but it keep happening.
Any ideas?
That's the shots for the buffer isn't it? i.e. r12 - 12 shots, r11 - 11 shots.

Sure it wasn't something as simple as it not being able to detect focus?

EDIT: here you go:
http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D80_en.pdf

Go to page 36 (or 48 of the actual PDF) under buffer size.

Last edited:
Sure it wasn't something as simple as it not being able to detect focus?

I was wondering that because i switch from my normal auto-focus continuous to auto-focus single instead. This switched "priority selection" from release to focus. Is this mean that a shot would only fire if it had focus confirmation? In which case maybe it was not firing because it didn't have focus confirmed?

While i'm here's a shot taken with my D750.
eSlSuibujmPnaowH-rLGUD_zAQzuUnTnevIchuAr4RhKz5BagkiP1b7K-kdOin7r4Br9IYFYwXzv0vVhORgukQNdagSphh8gsS75fs2JcVJ8hzFkm-dgSPIljfKYxgTgPP5RmkPN8G0Jx_rA-D1hkl87UiAQ7JeZci3EhFf_fVcewkVejrBP9ZiD-uJeWSYgoOXZaMwDSgE8GEKYt2K0UqMC_D8gt2rcS-3NWHCceDTeURLhr3qAdtx4oo6k_iv4Tq9BCxgXJp1arWPWDru7eisGanqyYKPJWkRys57UXqUuvO3HRpMMqdOHO8CZLFESdqaE_PsP19f_8Y7TygjNnvG2xNxVUP5wWh8YlbGK3X-xVoz1jroHr5YuBjiABwfI1gOzYb3luqDlREwJbPVT2YTzYFBA5tdRuxzlm4E-Kbx2KB-mTNJJZN5XJOQdQo92hVik972F-QYIRllyoQW1VkaoeIulS4ZT4TBYkNGraUck8w6sbnZFv1y1NcN7UDSpKArKvi3UO83RS6iLhBxOYTU_6WZ7D9VLKHj3bZoMWJ4vSlxAn4AqTLictIQ8_OZuVVhEnHYGq-ooQar__N5X-ZV8VgK2h8slg1BQsMzdTUrMFMS16KzuLtmDDzfLFGSX4B9YxnaN6Pb5-8ZHMeSwhGila3dQ8JGW8uc=w1366-h583-no

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/on-the-street-where-you-live.669079/

Last edited:
Any ideas?
How dark are we talking, which lens and what AF point(s) were you using? Did you have the AF assist lamp activated?

I was wondering that because i switch from my normal auto-focus continuous to auto-focus single instead. This switched "priority selection" from release to focus. Is this mean that a shot would only fire if it had focus confirmation? In which case maybe it was not firing because it didn't have focus confirmed?

Was also going to mention this. I never have that on, does my head in. A couple of times I've used it, I get lock up after lock up. Which is odd, as I don't miss focus with it being off? Pointless setting IMO.

Did you have the AF assist lamp activated?

Yup that why i had to switch to AF-S. Usually I use AF-C with BBF but this disable the AF assist light. This is why i am asking above if moving "priority selection" from release to focus would lock the camera from focusing if it hasn't got focus confirmation? Which would explain the camera not wanting to fire. What about doing the focus - recompose technic setup this way? I was doing this a lot because my boy was on the edge of the frame.

The lens was a sigma 35mm 1.4. Focus point where varied but not the center one more toward the edges.
Pictures taken at night in the living room, so pretty dark.

It didn't go all to plan really, a lot of the time the camera wasn't firing. My boy was not really wanting to do it either, specially not wanting to wear a hat. Still I got a few pictures which are pretty cute and happy enough with, i'm sure they will please the grandparents. Big problem too was that i only have the inbuilt flash and in this kind of shot it really cast horrible shadows on the wall, so this right of fa lot of angles I could have tried something different. I found the outfit in the local charity shop 10m from our front door, it's nearly too small for him but suits him very well.

rT6r-D8yKEWJdE08Ayr1_raXfNvFTPBxAg7HwTsricbxrnXgDJZlRrcB80fBgXJAQ0y2M35pYXswFDVttEBKwRYi4nBe9x08fyhvV_qOywPkbtpL4jBFx7BNe41zZpr5F3Ca5vpiU19cKcsPpZhP4-pv6gkWRnyUnGLjFwybO0jMEKln9xufxfrVn2FldZAiwCD7w3XFiUM9rmAMEhZ55OkMbnIbSVOpIsMVVb5vcSciAzXcgKkV0MVL-5LssoLl5lOQhXB7Lk226O5cEryiv3xeX2rt93iToZNghKa4m6m94uuIT7xZDePqL7T6pzArEWH6pcMeFu83z1E4ytvJejDhQmnj46IgcI9MUDx5zGOGuAHwv8Y62xrxCNEDZlBR0Wxvz2bVYJpyd3DnTAaeliiECWT2ny4HUPJGGcoUSM0zcA2Qax8keH416A_I2MdXRUOLsjThyXXN-9BlPT90JT-4UiT1087WBVrRlTj279NjGiugZri3Br83c2Ot79PJvXdqRnJh-qHPo8MU0_27TVg2DC5i29u8sKVU-4_Wvz5NcUKOlqfDqjjXrHeLjhEXZDszynQtMOJ_nK6aRKzGbQNR_MC8g17dHdZbc-I=s1320-no

o4CgTImAu2xoUkgpvvjHns-IjI6kR4EctXcvyCUcChZ6SeYz7s_WW5p1Bef7ZnW7cfoqAOZRRRMTQso4_L1f38v1dDnfS6rCo_R-vkgNM6fn-9WF-ZyyVeU6dinUaZbRpDa6ky09vxi0CQ5s-KMfQFp-_aSYzYawCS2uGFaZusUoLOJSruRMSQrJlR9hjcXpSG2gRZwMGDH-lLeOoYp285Aa93Qj3kL_KCA-iuRNJj0uwjl1Ij2FIMgqLtoCIb5u43U2B-e79kEQswLVNdv2SSashLsmE2z8lHpe-pnN6NJn9IrufJrH7juVqfQ92D8h5zasVphBI6XWQNatGXeWGks_Gf5pAypAkICneKDDWZ23rVKdsgqN2tJfVV1T6-bRIRzG8XknUdX0I1quR18eO8KncbTD1VcOerVDCNs-kGOl6rVaNwGlwS8fJLrf0CT-v7GiwLATdto5BHYqh5eNhqNGKePE4LIM4Momft78Li4jLA-OSqFG8ccpFiC3RbrVpS23qKm5UShgyJyBbanIFjNa6DHrIZwHfnhUgnIs1P26U4ju_kpVc_U6vMy8FruUvYLXYAcattJYl7NnwRyD1E8xw8yYQpdg37EAKH0=s1320-no

v_JWgas41n5nEsLr53wsrsCdR57BxY4zKKMbRrsKkmKrwTPe7CPxZCf0KTVjKWxzTcJNvl-rWf32cMYGXbfXiAGM_nmjmWt7NuMyDlJy7TnKBpZgIYVUbJJ4L71VIyfpIORVVB0w83Wff_VYgj_UEienZRtKTlEO4mMJjtaRsmvh4BTY86EY1YX_lt_kDa3erS8lEw2SDqqxf03yy3E3CDvurZu6u7yEYCipKhnx-r2-gxBIH-ApeU9cSVIP_Hj5Le6cnCF837q84zw_l8l-Gpxd1_calbRLvayOYAKNqJNARgmmUuK3fyxuvZfjsKodLw8pZk6XG8orcBcDDIT_0PaJZl1erb3ZBdIMErpgQ8MnUG7GbAlfSKF4MxmvmWZgnhaAGCYx64dkmH6KSJSomOtHJdpbuYLvdqS3bsr36D4ke4T64RtVoiELYYZA0R2TQ6-a3IZ6AMEvZ8puj7MzByAfqVbEE0GYgkUCutM0hDOqFArPB_j9BfJYuojxX8zct9FBYYfGXG0-dc7rSLyJC4v75RHZ2v6bhsiErSsqxkzpH-tMfKUiLhzj76Ya1UD9ZD1C25XiDlfElKW4Hy5J1sAUr_T0UZmDUzkdluY=w882-h1320-no

Last edited:
No stock left Kris I tried about an hour ago, really want this lens and this would have been a great opportunity to give it an extend test especially as all my grandkids will be here over Xmas. £76 would have been well worth it for 12 days.

Just as well, I've just bought the missus another Christmas present. At least there's a few points in the bag for when I do want to buy something for myself....:naughty:

Any ideas?
It's called the Relese Mode. It's in AF custom settings. Just read this on the d750 FB group, sounds like the same problem.

It's called the Relese Mode. It's in AF custom settings. Just read this on the d750 FB group, sounds like the same problem.

Yes, not a problem as such but just a setting I've not really been dwelving into before. Which would mean the camera is fine.

Was also going to mention this. I never have that on, does my head in. A couple of times I've used it, I get lock up after lock up. Which is odd, as I don't miss focus with it being off? Pointless setting IMO.
Release on focus is a handy feature for macro/close up shots. You can us it to fire the shutter by pressing the release all the way down with the subject slightly out of focus then slowly move the camera back or forward and the shutter fires when the subject is in focus. I get a far better success rate than with the 'normal' method.

Mind you, when I forget to switch back and try to focus and recompose I think my camera is broken...:eek: :D

Release on focus is a handy feature for macro/close up shots. You can us it to fire the shutter by pressing the release all the way down with the subject slightly out of focus then slowly move the camera back or forward and the shutter fires when the subject is in focus. I get a far better success rate than with the 'normal' method.

Mind you, when I forget to switch back and try to focus and recompose I think my camera is broken...:eek: :D

Surely the problem there is that the law of sod will not have a focus point perfectly where you want it, unless you plan to crop a bit afterwards? I don’t do macro, but if I need to get as close as poss, then always in manual focus and rock back and forth, usually on the closest setting. You can eyeball it well enough. Didn’t realise that the shutter fires when ‘in focus’ though, so that does make more sense of the feature and explains why it’s completely alien if you accidentally turn it on.

That explain all my question and a bit more. Thanks

Last edited:

Thats just click bait! Love the statement 'the rumor mill claims that it is going to be a new “baby Nikon D5” camera. So this makes it a true replacement for the good old D700 full-frame DSLR'. That's what the D500 is isn't it? Also love the last sentence 'For now take it with a grain of salt and stay tuned for more information', pretty much sums up that they know nothing. If I was to guess I would say its possible we may see some a new model in 2018. Part of the reason I can see why there wasn't was because of the recalls, I think Nikon learnt from the D600 to D610 update as that was clearly to right the oil issues. Nikon needed time to clear up the recalls before releasing an updated model. I can see the D610 and D750 being merged into one model, if that does happen then I can see the spec being closer to the D610 than the D750. The spec of the D750 was far to good as an entry consumer full frame camera, so good that there was the D750 v D810 debate for users that would have otherwise gone straight to the D810. There has to be a difference between the spec of the D750/D610 replacement and the D850 otherwise the D750/D610 replacement will eat into the D850 market. The D750/D610 replacement will be pitted against the Canon 6D2 so its likely to be closer to that in spec. Canon have had a much better grasp of differentiating between models, far better than Nikon's ideas in recent years with new model names and spec's. I can see the new nikon model being released at around £2500 as well.

Is this true? What with the same sensor in so many different models of camera (in the Canon line)...
I never knew the same sensor was in several canon models, it would be interesting to know which ones. I was thinking there is a clearer definition between the full frame lineup of 6D2, 5D4, 5DS and 1DX2. As far as I know they all have different sensors and specifications that step up the upgrade path between them and their designed function. Nikon have been jumping about with numbering over the past few years and now it isn't as clear with the full frame range. Interesting question regarding sensors that I've never found an answer to, does the D610 and D750 have the same sensor? The results on DXo seem to be so close that they is nearly no performance difference. If they are different, sensor technology didn't move on much in the 2 years between releases so is practically like using the same sensor (not that it's a problem as the sensor is fantastic). I feel the D750 was partly a knee jerk reaction after the whole D600 oil issues and it blurred the range lineup in doing so (irony being the two recalls). The lineup as D6xx (consumer fx), d7xx (pro fx), d8xx (high MP) and Dx (flagship) was easier to understand as the model lineup before the D750 was introduced (that said not upgrading the D700 started it all off). The whole jumping from from Dx10/Dx200 to Dx50/Dx500 makes little sense to me. To be honest it's all a moot point as what ever Nikon does I can't see there being too much of a technological jump in model upgrades, the D750 outperforms quite a few users including myself and will be seem as a fantastic value full frame camera when a new model comes out.

I never knew the same sensor was in several canon models, it would be interesting to know which ones.
I was thinking more the consumer / APS-C line which all (perhaps with exception of the 1200D) use the same 24.2MP with Dual Pixel AF sensor.
I was thinking there is a clearer definition between the full frame lineup of 6D2, 5D4, 5DS and 1DX2. As far as I know they all have different sensors and specifications that step up the upgrade path between them and their designed function. Nikon have been jumping about with numbering over the past few years and now it isn't as clear with the full frame range.
I can't see there being much difference between that and Nikon with D6x0, D7x0, D8x0 and Dx flagship. Excepting the D6x0 / D7x0 the Nikon "professional" line up is all quite distinct. There is perhaps some irony in your comment in that "everyone" is clamouring for the D7x0 replacement to be a "baby D5" including using its sensor.
Interesting question regarding sensors that I've never found an answer to, does the D610 and D750 have the same sensor?
According to a list I found at Nikon Rumour - yes they both (and the D600) all use the same Sony manufactured IMX-128-(L)-AQP sensor.
I feel the D750 was partly a knee jerk reaction after the whole D600 oil issues and it blurred the range lineup in doing so (irony being the two recalls).
Well that and also bumping up the technology in terms of AF. I felt when trying both the D750 was a significant step up in that regard. I suspect if Nikon keep both a D6x0 replacement and D7x0 replacement then the D6x0 will lose "professional" features such as twin card slots and perhaps the D7x0 will regain the "professional" controls that the D700 had and D850 and D500 have. Similar to how the D5 --> D500 --> D7500 hierarchy works with crop "sports" cameras, there could be a full frame D5 --> D7x0 --> D6x0 (or perhaps D9x00) hierarchy for full frame line up?
The lineup as D6xx (consumer fx), d7xx (pro fx), d8xx (high MP) and Dx (flagship) was easier to understand as the model lineup before the D750 was introduced (that said not upgrading the D700 started it all off). The whole jumping from from Dx10/Dx200 to Dx50/Dx500 makes little sense to me.
I get your point with the jump from D700 to D750 and now from D810 to D850 and D7200 to D7500. The Canon "lets create a model number and just add MkII, MkIII, etc. to it is clearer (in their "pro" ranges).
To be honest it's all a moot point as what ever Nikon does I can't see there being too much of a technological jump in model upgrades, the D750 outperforms quite a few users including myself and will be seem as a fantastic value full frame camera when a new model comes out.
Thats the problem for Nikon - as I see it - the D750 still matches or outperforms its current ILC full frame competition. You can argue over the appeal of mirrorless over DSLR, but excepting those differences the D750 is still VERY competitive against Canon 6D2, Sony A7ii, etc. Personally I hope the D750 sticks around for another year or so - I definitely can't afford a D850 and the D750 does (as you implied too) more than enough for me but I would be still tempted by a D760 :)

There is perhaps some irony in your comment in that "everyone" is clamouring for the D7x0 replacement to be a "baby D5" including using its sensor.

Sorry it's not my comment about 'baby D5', I was simply quoting the article (https://www.dailycameranews.com/2016/12/nikon-d760-rumors/) linked to in an earlier post and saying its was a ridiculous assumption made in the article that everybody wants a baby D5 in the 'D760'.

Thats the problem for Nikon - as I see it - the D750 still matches or outperforms its current ILC full frame competition. You can argue over the appeal of mirrorless over DSLR, but excepting those differences the D750 is still VERY competitive against Canon 6D2, Sony A7ii, etc. Personally I hope the D750 sticks around for another year or so - I definitely can't afford a D850 and the D750 does (as you implied too) more than enough for me but I would be still tempted by a D760 :)

The D750 is a great camera and I agree it's still a great performer (ISO performance is amazing). Most full frame Nikon cameras in the last 3-4 years are great and I can't see any need to upgrade to a new model costing £2-3K when the current models perform so well. AF is much improved and good enough for my needs. I've only ever had focus problems when trying to photograph Puffins in flight, that wasn't down to the camera but just that they move very fast and are so small it's difficult to lock on.

Hi people,

New subscriber to this thread, because I will be buying a D750 sometime in january .

Coming form a Nikon D3300 i sold it and went to fujifilm for a year.. but being a system so new, i kind of miss the good old dslr with so many dslr lenses available i thought I would be able to do the jump to the fx nikon :D

Hi people,

New subscriber to this thread, because I will be buying a D750 sometime in january .

Coming form a Nikon D3300 i sold it and went to fujifilm for a year.. but being a system so new, i kind of miss the good old dslr with so many dslr lenses available i thought I would be able to do the jump to the fx nikon :D
Always worth the jump, welcome and once you have your d750 you'll never look back. PS, don't forget to order your screen protector now. lol [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Back