Nikon D750 & D780

I agree with Paul, I wouldn't worry about it too much as it'll be long into the future if at all I expect. One thing that I was thinking was all the new lenses seem to be coming out with electronic apertures, which negates the need for the lever to set aperture. This may be another clue into the adapter option to make things easier in producing an adapter between F mount and the new one (which will presumably also use electronic apertures)

Live for the now, buy what's best for right now and don't necessarily look over the horizon constantly otherwise we'd never buy anything :) I have personally just bought a D750 and there may be another on the way :exit: but if there's some new fandangled mirrorless system announced tomorrow then I may be peeved depending on specs but at least i'll know I made the right decision with the information available :)

Bit of an odd one - with the direction of mirrorless a big thing now and Nikon supposedly bringing out an FF mirrorless with 'Z' mount or whatever it will be, is anyone in this forum worried about/predicting a big drop in the value of used Nikon FX/DX lenses once the new range is announced/released?

Or do we thing this will be many years down the line as people will be likely to adapt lenses for the foreseeable future?
I'd be amazed if an adapter isn't brought out at the same time to be able to use F-mount with the new system, there's not many people willing to ditch all their lenses. I think Nikon need to learn by Sony's mistake in not having a mature system for a very long period. Of course the mount needs to make sure F-mount is fully compatible, especially in AF speed and not like the 3rd party metabones for Sony/Canon. I do fear for Nikon if they bring out a FF mirrorless camera that is not compatible with f-mount via use of an adapter or otherwise.

I'd be amazed if an adapter isn't brought out at the same time to be able to use F-mount with the new system, there's not many people willing to ditch all their lenses. I think Nikon need to learn by Sony's mistake in not having a mature system for a very long period. Of course the mount needs to make sure F-mount is fully compatible, especially in AF speed and not like the 3rd party metabones for Sony/Canon. I do fear for Nikon if they bring out a FF mirrorless camera that is not compatible with f-mount via use of an adapter or otherwise.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there would be an adapter available at or around launch.

Has there been any leak images of this so call camera

Just bought 50mm f1.8d for my D750. I know it uses the camera motor to focus, no problem with this, but what about aperture, I didn’t have the lens instruction leaflet with camera. Can someone help. I can take photos with aperture ring set to f22; but on any other setting it doesn’t take a picture. Bought in excellent condition from Wex. Aperture readout on top window says fEE when on any other setting except f22.

Last edited:
Just bought 50mm f1.8d for my D750. I know it uses the camera motor to focus, no problem with this, but what about aperture, I didn’t have the lens instruction leaflet with camera. Can someone help. I can take photos with aperture ring set to f22; but on any other setting it doesn’t take a picture. Bought in excellent condition from Wex. Aperture readout on top window says fEE when on any other setting except f22.
That's the way it works. There's a tab to lock the aperture at f22.

Something I’ve noticed on flikr, the exif info for canon cameras includes the lens details above the camera outline, whereas Nikon and other brands don’t.! Or at least on images I’ve viewed recently. I find this information useful if one is looking to buy a different lens.

Last edited:
Something I’ve noticed on flikr, the exif info for canon cameras includes the lens details above the camera outline, whereas Nikon and other brands don’t.! Or at least on images I’ve viewed recently. I find this information useful if one is looking to buy a different lens.
Probably something to do with how the images are exported and if the exif has been removed or not. My flickr images clearly say camera type and lens used if they are exported from lightroom and uploaded from my mac. It’s also in the exif list too. If uploaded via Dropbox it doesnt always show up properly.

Lens info is usually there for all brands, not sure why you’re finding different to that tbh. What do you see when you view my images on Flickr? When I look camera and lens info is there for both my Olympus and Nikon.

Anyone using the 24mm f1.8g or the older 2.8D version?

Can't see prices plummeting. Best will in the world, Nikon will not be able to come to market with a complete range of mirrorless lenses - it will be some achievement getting to market with 3 or 4 imo. I suspect they will have an adapter and maybe other companies will soon follow, but it will be quite some years before a Nikon mirrorless gets enough traction to significantly affect current DSLR & lens prices.

Also depends on which rumours you give more credence too, some say it will be a DX sized sensor, some FF and others some other size. All we know is he's called - oops wrong forum ;) ...

I think it might have a bigger impact than you might think. I am waiting out the launch if it's full frame I am changing everything over if it's not I am jumping ship. I know I am not the only one having just came back from a meeting with several other pro's they are all of the same mind so are the Canon guys.

Last edited:
Lens info is usually there for all brands, not sure why you’re finding different to that tbh. What do you see when you view my images on Flickr? When I look camera and lens info is there for both my Olympus and Nikon.

On your images I see both Nikon and Olympus with lens details, strange.

I know it's a bit of a cliché, but this is one of my better efforts at it.

_7507605.jpg

I've yet to have any sunshine to try out my x2 TC on my 70-200/2.8. In dull light at close range it seems reasonably sharp. Not as sharp as some people might like, but close enough for rock'n'roll. :)

It also seems to focus OK. (I've never micro adjusted a lens yet and have no intention of starting!) Full frame plus a crop. Noise reduction applied in LR but no additional sharpening beyond the default on export. Now for some sunshine and a more distant subject. That'll be August I expect...

f/5.6 1/500 380 mm ISO3600
TrcNmzE3We0RzAZsH_NRTRwG_lytRS2_Uci3pH55J8IVprbz0Bzwzrmw7T1ynMgOkWjKhpnmD_chUFyeOgjkAehgtmnXSuD7IFyBZvIItOK2TQJT4sB-IK7BnNhFFVb2r4DF2qJv7UoTcEv4VS5ZA6ARRnWvEgBorIV9KQ9hhi4IyTJXi98xyYOQb6yn9npZmxTCe4Yh5M9c8qHNaWlPiMwMJxTDgDquEKGZ35GqOEMBqd8O1xTqYiGGRyDOAQWpmILDxqCpKmX3bTne_kXICbBa8hsJ6ZHmNmIAMB1VKy95xS-Mxzbe3Ncgi3uUFVXOMCS-mTfsWV1lPcbPZBXEDC_kyZfJpW-PR6_Xngku_3H0ztjyUnN6xH6uYO0uOGW2IXuEonaIigDIH6-Lbo1Fc-CwiegQkNxYnFeqEhGEmFj17wmr7ZombVUDakw47W_yPBobwq_255pg_MCzWJzf8akkw3iqiWXtqzSx5UjU8qqvkNy0oArBWpJ7R49VMdOD8cA4yGdT5TjetG7mBullpQp_bcqwDYdeWtBNNTj4l7gU7g8yXtiZivz201EMSyh9MQBegdcDcKyANKKkTF2Cz24UzEonHiKMaLEToLrI=w1100-h734-no

ghY4E8RnoHWeo330vUwestxyNgnk5YyGO98lo1vfcKYsepHdk2Fq0ncLTtWOmCWfbx9HkdjW_wxUD-QAxT9EQ7L7QAMNgR49bRnVQWAhtCLGxJz33-J9m9ElPVS8SWflm5q_8VUofZAjetQ2BHW_pG_5iUyL422yir8FQMjxWZ4ikDugH7FnwMs486L-m9bwTeljnSEXtgk1ZGf23z6BDjQL1-SJGLVDUNByluUV-rUjhyCKCxNTHtTO5OWfDATv-PqqiP-xIu9pYmFKJoOyzgt4GYmDC-BJu1n3xbu7KMUNl17doiwfEadStBkB9flCu_qNuP10KxZVpWhuD3pCIT7QytdQjdOpe1jdj_3o4wJHCEoVAjKQ4oEgtR42nhNTbPYyJQ-R-VNyT7UkOCQUCUkUTpEOrQA2OOV0UWcZO6zgtFt0oIMf-DG7gfJU5EPECC58iPg2WyWNE7iEjjGMo8RIKpvSc0eilaViW5H63t4AETVEl2c9wWAVCie3XXJ8rZBrgC-pM-9FwsFcNm-GbvMn7oRmfrt6nd59E47jrUrTefo6psjuM2Eq-zP7LO6wDtn-fvLvKFUYZHRctWVMND_wT-Ijdv0l7YthYlAd=w517-h773-no

I've yet to have any sunshine to try out my x2 TC on my 70-200/2.8. In dull light at close range it seems reasonably sharp. Not as sharp as some people might like, but close enough for rock'n'roll. :)

It also seems to focus OK. (I've never micro adjusted a lens yet and have no intention of starting!) Full frame plus a crop. Noise reduction applied in LR but no additional sharpening beyond the default on export. Now for some sunshine and a more distant subject. That'll be August I expect...

f/5.6 1/500 380 mm ISO3600
TrcNmzE3We0RzAZsH_NRTRwG_lytRS2_Uci3pH55J8IVprbz0Bzwzrmw7T1ynMgOkWjKhpnmD_chUFyeOgjkAehgtmnXSuD7IFyBZvIItOK2TQJT4sB-IK7BnNhFFVb2r4DF2qJv7UoTcEv4VS5ZA6ARRnWvEgBorIV9KQ9hhi4IyTJXi98xyYOQb6yn9npZmxTCe4Yh5M9c8qHNaWlPiMwMJxTDgDquEKGZ35GqOEMBqd8O1xTqYiGGRyDOAQWpmILDxqCpKmX3bTne_kXICbBa8hsJ6ZHmNmIAMB1VKy95xS-Mxzbe3Ncgi3uUFVXOMCS-mTfsWV1lPcbPZBXEDC_kyZfJpW-PR6_Xngku_3H0ztjyUnN6xH6uYO0uOGW2IXuEonaIigDIH6-Lbo1Fc-CwiegQkNxYnFeqEhGEmFj17wmr7ZombVUDakw47W_yPBobwq_255pg_MCzWJzf8akkw3iqiWXtqzSx5UjU8qqvkNy0oArBWpJ7R49VMdOD8cA4yGdT5TjetG7mBullpQp_bcqwDYdeWtBNNTj4l7gU7g8yXtiZivz201EMSyh9MQBegdcDcKyANKKkTF2Cz24UzEonHiKMaLEToLrI=w1100-h734-no

ghY4E8RnoHWeo330vUwestxyNgnk5YyGO98lo1vfcKYsepHdk2Fq0ncLTtWOmCWfbx9HkdjW_wxUD-QAxT9EQ7L7QAMNgR49bRnVQWAhtCLGxJz33-J9m9ElPVS8SWflm5q_8VUofZAjetQ2BHW_pG_5iUyL422yir8FQMjxWZ4ikDugH7FnwMs486L-m9bwTeljnSEXtgk1ZGf23z6BDjQL1-SJGLVDUNByluUV-rUjhyCKCxNTHtTO5OWfDATv-PqqiP-xIu9pYmFKJoOyzgt4GYmDC-BJu1n3xbu7KMUNl17doiwfEadStBkB9flCu_qNuP10KxZVpWhuD3pCIT7QytdQjdOpe1jdj_3o4wJHCEoVAjKQ4oEgtR42nhNTbPYyJQ-R-VNyT7UkOCQUCUkUTpEOrQA2OOV0UWcZO6zgtFt0oIMf-DG7gfJU5EPECC58iPg2WyWNE7iEjjGMo8RIKpvSc0eilaViW5H63t4AETVEl2c9wWAVCie3XXJ8rZBrgC-pM-9FwsFcNm-GbvMn7oRmfrt6nd59E47jrUrTefo6psjuM2Eq-zP7LO6wDtn-fvLvKFUYZHRctWVMND_wT-Ijdv0l7YthYlAd=w517-h773-no
Can't complain about that shot. Love these birds for their colours.

Bit of a cheeky request. Would anyone mind sending me a landscape raw file taken with the D750 and either the 18-35mm G or 24-120mm?

Can be one that you would bin, doesn't have to be anything amazing, just wouldn't mind having a look in LR at the files from the camera and lenses before I make the decision to sell up and order one.

Bit of a cheeky request. Would anyone mind sending me a landscape raw file taken with the D750 and either the 18-35mm G or 24-120mm?

Can be one that you would bin, doesn't have to be anything amazing, just wouldn't mind having a look in LR at the files from the camera and lenses before I make the decision to sell up and order one.
I'll see if I can find any that I shot from a similar time/scene, but I can tell you that the 18-35mm is noticeably sharper.

Thanks very much - interested to see how the 18-35mm does against my Sony 16-35mm F4 OSS - DXO rates them very closely.
TBH seeing other people's RAWs isn't the best way to compare. Light and technique can effect sharpness. I'm happy to supply one (I'll need to retrieve some off my external drives) but as I said it's not the best test. I may not be able to get as good sharpness as others and vice versa.

TBH seeing other people's RAWs isn't the best way to compare. Light and technique can effect sharpness. I'm happy to supply one (I'll need to retrieve some off my external drives) but as I said it's not the best test. I may not be able to get as good sharpness as others and vice versa.

Yeah, completely understand that. Would give me a ballpark though and thats better than nothing when making a £2k switch :)

Thanks very much both of you! Stuck them all in LR and applied lens corrections - bumped sharpness up a bit etc and was happy with all of them to be honest!

Cheers

What you moving from

Thanks very much both of you! Stuck them all in LR and applied lens corrections - bumped sharpness up a bit etc and was happy with all of them to be honest!

Cheers
No worries. Did mine look incredibly dark/underexposed on dropbox to you? I've just clicked through and they both look about 2 stops underexposed :confused:

Edit: Here's what I mean, screenshot of pic from dropbox left vs screenshot of the actual RAW.

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 20.08.07.png

Last edited:
Back