Nikon D750 & D780

I have used the E version before and everything was better apart from the zoom ring. Its such a shame really! But Tamron G2 also does it - not sure why TBH!
So the Tamron is the same way around as the new Nikon? How easy is focus ring to turn on the Tamron, any idea?

So the Tamron is the same way around as the new Nikon? How easy is focus ring to turn on the Tamron, any idea?
I got this lens, it's fairly easy, one finger is possible I guess.

I got this lens, it's fairly easy, one finger is possible I guess.
Thanks. That’s my concern tbh, I’d be likely to nudge it by accident with the focus and zoom rings being that way around o_O

Thanks. That’s my concern tbh, I’d be likely to nudge it by accident with the focus and zoom rings being that way around o_O
If you are wanting a 70-200 lens and have concerns about the zoom ring and constant focus ring being around the wrong way I would say you would be best to pop into a shop and try one to see how easy it is.
If its not what you want, have you thought about the 80-200, I have heard its just as sharp.

If you are wanting a 70-200 lens and have concerns about the zoom ring and constant focus ring being around the wrong way I would say you would be best to pop into a shop and try one to see how easy it is.
If its not what you want, have you thought about the 80-200, I have heard its just as sharp.
TBH it wasn't the kind of comment where I was looking at one, I have the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, it was just a general comment that it would concern me that if I had one I'd keep 'knocking' the zoom ring with the hand I was holding the lens with (y)

TBH it wasn't the kind of comment where I was looking at one, I have the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, it was just a general comment that it would concern me that if I had one I'd keep 'knocking' the zoom ring with the hand I was holding the lens with (y)

It’s a shame as overall it’s a much better lens. But these things happen!!

So, I did a bit of gig photography for a friend not so long ago and took the D750 along with a 50 1.8G and the 24-120. I went with the 24-120 for flexibility but I struggled with it. I could have done with it being faster. The 50mm on the other hand just seemed to be a bit too long most of the time.

Anyone got any recommendations / experience for an alternative please? Do I go for a Tamron 15-30 2.8 or get a 35 (or 28, 24) 1.8G, save a bundle of cash and zoom with my feet? Or is there another option that I haven't considered?

Many thanks :)

So, I did a bit of gig photography for a friend not so long ago and took the D750 along with a 50 1.8G and the 24-120. I went with the 24-120 for flexibility but I struggled with it. I could have done with it being faster. The 50mm on the other hand just seemed to be a bit too long most of the time.

Anyone got any recommendations / experience for an alternative please? Do I go for a Tamron 15-30 2.8 or get a 35 (or 28, 24) 1.8G, save a bundle of cash and zoom with my feet? Or is there another option that I haven't considered?

28mm and 35mm 1.8 lenses are both excellent choices. Or go exotic on the 35mm 1.4g!!

Faster focussing or faster in as letting more light in?

28mm and 35mm 1.8 lenses are both excellent choices. Or go exotic on the 35mm 1.4g!!

Thanks. The 1.4 would be pushing the "what can I get away with" budget really ;-)

Faster focussing or faster in as letting more light in?

Apologies - faster as in more light in. I ended up using high ISO and having noisy images.

Thanks. The 1.4 would be pushing the "what can I get away with" budget really ;-)

Apologies - faster as in more light in. I ended up using high ISO and having noisy images.
Well there's obviously the 24-70mm which will give you a stop better light, but then it's down to primes and would depend how wide you want to go?

I've just ordered a d750 body and 50mm prime from Panamoz, can't wait for it to land so I can start playing. Something to get me out of the house.
I was planning on picking up a 70-300VR (s/h) and something like a 24-85 VR that will cover me for most things. It is only for my own pleasure so ultimate quality is not a concern but I don't want to be buying duds from the off. How are these two lenses considered to perform?

I've just ordered a d750 body and 50mm prime from Panamoz, can't wait for it to land so I can start playing. Something to get me out of the house.
I was planning on picking up a 70-300VR (s/h) and something like a 24-85 VR that will cover me for most things. It is only for my own pleasure so ultimate quality is not a concern but I don't want to be buying duds from the off. How are these two lenses considered to perform?
They are all good lenses and in the right hands will produce excellent results.

I've just looked at the Ken Rockwell site and they seem to be reviewed OK there, I take it I can rely on his reviews?

I'm aware that the kit doesn't make a good image, although I use Canon DSLRs at work in challenging lighting and conditions, its industrial work so the composition isn't down to me. I fully admit I am a complete novice when it comes to composition and PP so looking forward to getting stuck in and annoying my entire family in the process (until they start getting free pictures).

I've just looked at the Ken Rockwell site and they seem to be reviewed OK there, I take it I can rely on his reviews?

I'm aware that the kit doesn't make a good image, although I use Canon DSLRs at work in challenging lighting and conditions, its industrial work so the composition isn't down to me. I fully admit I am a complete novice when it comes to composition and PP so looking forward to getting stuck in and annoying my entire family in the process (until they start getting free pictures).
Take Ken with a pinch of salt ;)

D750 arrived, been using AF-C with the dog today and its been brill.

Got it with the 24-120 - the lens has arrived (brand new) with a big bloody dust particle in the rear element. Contacted them to see what they can do!

D750 arrived, been using AF-C with the dog today and its been brill.

Got it with the 24-120 - the lens has arrived (brand new) with a big bloody dust particle in the rear element. Contacted them to see what they can do!
Where did you order it from?

in what respect? Is he not as impartial as first appears or something?
I wouldn’t say he’s not impartial, just doesn’t always know what he’s talking about. For the most part he writes some good stuff, just don’t take it all as gospel.

Should be fine with them, service is generally excellent. I would imagine they'll send you a new one and arrange for yours to be picked up.

Got to say, they’ve been gr at up to this point. They could teach Jessops a thing or two about CS
They could teach them loads from what I hear.

The 24-85 is a brilliant little lens for the money. (y)

Well there's obviously the 24-70mm which will give you a stop better light, but then it's down to primes and would depend how wide you want to go?
Thanks. Both the Tamron 15-30 and the Nikon 24-70 are pushing the budget really. I'm thinking one of the 1.8G primes is the way to go. Especially as the weight of both zooms is a factor too. Neither are particularly light (as expected I guess). I'll have a look through the EXIF of the shots I have taken and see what the average focal length is and go from there :)

Thanks. Both the Tamron 15-30 and the Nikon 24-70 are pushing the budget really. I'm thinking one of the 1.8G primes is the way to go. Especially as the weight of both zooms is a factor too. Neither are particularly light (as expected I guess). I'll have a look through the EXIF of the shots I have taken and see what the average focal length is and go from there :)

I have owned 28/35/50/85g lenses. My favourites were the 28 and 50. Mainly because I like 50 as a focal length and the 28 was a good companion.

I sold my copy which I regret as it was a lovely sharp copy!

Back