Nikon D750 & D780

Yeah, I'm very excited it looks one hell of a camera. I'm not sure I'm going to bother buying the EN-EL18b battery though to get the extra 2fps, it's a hell of a lot of money (battery £180, battery charger £375 :eek: :eek: :eek:) for something that I'll not benefit from much. For most things the 6.5fps of my D750 is enough. I'll get a grip and just use a second EN-EL15a battery

This is a big deal for me
View attachment 123719

As are the outer points being cross type
View attachment 123720

OK, thanks for the heads up. Gives me time to juggle some money around anyway. I think I'm going to get the 24-70mm f2.8 too and sell my 24-120mm and 85mm f1.4. The D850 will give me almost the same effective reach on the 24-70mm (105mm in DX mode), and I've used my 85mm f1.4 twice in the time I've had it :oops: :$ Looking at DXO scores the 24-120mm isn't as good at resolving the high MP as the 24-70mm, and for the very odd time I do portrait I'll just use my 70-200mm or 50mm.

What else has taken your fancy then?

Now put the A7RIII af points over those....:D

Now put the A7RIII af points over those....:D
True, but truth is the D850 spread covers as much of the frame as I'd need. It's like when I had the D500, the outer points were a waste of time to me as I never composed anything that close to the edge of the frame, and what made matters worse is that they were the cross type ones, the next rows in were only single line.

Yeah, I'm very excited it looks one hell of a camera. I'm not sure I'm going to bother buying the EN-EL18b battery though to get the extra 2fps, it's a hell of a lot of money (battery £180, battery charger £375 :eek: :eek: :eek:) for something that I'll not benefit from much. For most things the 6.5fps of my D750 is enough. I'll get a grip and just use a second EN-EL15a battery

View attachment 123719

View attachment 123720

OK, thanks for the heads up. Gives me time to juggle some money around anyway. I think I'm going to get the 24-70mm f2.8 too and sell my 24-120mm and 85mm f1.4. The D850 will give me almost the same effective reach on the 24-70mm (105mm in DX mode), and I've used my 85mm f1.4 twice in the time I've had it :oops: :$ Looking at DXO scores the 24-120mm isn't as good at resolving the high MP as the 24-70mm, and for the very odd time I do portrait I'll just use my 70-200mm or 50mm.

What's the 24-70 worth then

She's on hols till Friday mate, so likely Monday. Waiting for my Sony is really annoying me, looking at other things now.
I am sure she (Tina) is a man, it's just that a woman's name looks better for them in a email.

Looks like I might be hanging around here for a bit longer. Initial reports have our car needing a new box and as it’s our main towing vehicle it needs to be done ASAP which will mean returning the not even received yet Sony. Such is life.

VW man will confirm tomorrow. :mad:

Looks like I might be hanging around here for a bit longer. Initial reports have our car needing a new box and as it’s our main towing vehicle it needs to be done ASAP which will mean returning the not even received yet Sony. Such is life.

:(

Just going to sell on the Sony lens and then decide from there! Damn DSG boxes are not the cheapest of things to get sorted!

A new box?

Sorry to hear that, I know you've been looking forward to getting the Sony :(

Ahh, I was thinking back box ;) Eeks, they're not cheap :eek:

Nope! Just unfortunate! Misses has company car now which can get us around whilst it’s being sorted. We already know it’s going to be expensive but tomorrow will find out how expensive! So that will determine if it’s camera and lens that need to go or just lens!!! Luckily Panamoz have 14 day cool off so gives us a chance to look at options.

View attachment 123719

View attachment 123720

Is the spread that bigger a deal? I guess I’ve become accustomed to a little focus, recompose. The extra cross type points would be more beneficial though.

I’ll have an 850, but in a couple of years after the wedding....

Is the spread that bigger a deal? I guess I’ve become accustomed to a little focus, recompose. The extra cross type points would be more beneficial though.

I’ll have an 850, but in a couple of years after the wedding....
Well big deal might be over egging it a bit, but certainly would be handy. There are many times that I've been restricted by the AF spread on the D750 and I can't focus recompose as it's a moving subject. It's not just the extra cross types but the fact that they're on the outer points that's going to be beneficial to me (y)

Well big deal might be over egging it a bit, but certainly would be handy. There are many times that I've been restricted by the AF spread on the D750 and I can't focus recompose as it's a moving subject. It's not just the extra cross types but the fact that they're on the outer points that's going to be beneficial to me (y)

This is, in the real world, when you’re faced with a fast moving object, there’s likely too many focus points to scroll round anyway. I limit mine on the 750 to 11 for that reason, so is there a similar version on the 850?

This is, in the real world, when you’re faced with a fast moving object, there’s likely too many focus points to scroll round anyway. I limit mine on the 750 to 11 for that reason, so is there a similar version on the 850?
I’m sure it will have, but for the shooting I’m doing I don’t move the AF point around whilst I’m actually shooting so it doesn’t matter too much.

Just going to sell on the Sony lens and then decide from there! Damn DSG boxes are not the cheapest of things to get sorted!

Does it all need replacing or a repair? How old car?

A couple of other things why I'd rather than compose how I want in camera rather than using the points I have is sometimes to get the AF point on the area that I want I have to zoom out a bit meaning that I don't have as shallow DOF as I'd like, and I have to crop in post which enhances noise if I'm shooting at higher ISO (y)

A couple of other things why I'd rather than compose how I want in camera rather than using the points I have is sometimes to get the AF point on the area that I want I have to zoom out a bit meaning that I don't have as shallow DOF as I'd like, and I have to crop in post which enhances noise if I'm shooting at higher ISO (y)

Nope, still don’t follow lol. Wouldn’t BBF solve it, ie focus, recompose, shoot at will?

Hmmmm ... is "she" getting revenge for your fondling other bodies? :)

Nope, still don’t follow lol. Wouldn’t BBF solve it, ie focus, recompose, shoot at will?
Not to worry, you're not the first person to not understand me ;) OK so imagine I'm taking some shots of a runner coming towards me, I'm shooting in portrait orientation and I want the AF point over the face. I obviously need to use the outer AF point but in some situations this still leaves too much headroom at the top of the frame meaning I then have to crop in post. There's been many a time at the wildlife parks that I've been restricted too (y)

Anyway, the D850's ordered and on it's way :banana::banana::banana::nikon:

Not to worry, you're not the first person to not understand me ;) OK so imagine I'm taking some shots of a runner coming towards me, I'm shooting in portrait orientation and I want the AF point over the face. I obviously need to use the outer AF point but in some situations this still leaves too much headroom at the top of the frame meaning I then have to crop in post. There's been many a time at the wildlife parks that I've been restricted too (y)

Nice! I can't keep the Sony - shame really, but maybe things will be better later on this year finance wise but we have decided that we are going to replace our car with a newer model as we use it for towing the Horse and he needs to travel safe as he is our main hobby and outgoing!

But at least I still have the D750 so not all doom and gloom!

At least Panamoz allow 14 days to return. Will offer it up on here just in case anyone wants to save a few ££ as I got it priced matched, can also return the 70-200 but again will see if anyone wants it on here before I take it back as you wont find one cheaper!

Looking forward to the D850 pics! Will have to post in here as the D850 thread is not a lively!!

Nice! I can't keep the Sony - shame really, but maybe things will be better later on this year finance wise but we have decided that we are going to replace our car with a newer model as we use it for towing the Horse and he needs to travel safe as he is our main hobby and outgoing!

At least Panamoz allow 14 days to return. Will offer it up on here just in case anyone wants to save a few ££ as I got it priced matched, can also return the 70-200 but again will see if anyone wants it on here before I take it back as you wont find one cheaper!

Looking forward to the D850 pics! Will have to post in here as the D850 thread is not a lively!!
Sorry to hear that mate, as you say hopefully you can revisit it at some point later. The D750's still one hell of a camera. Yes the D850 thread's a bit quiet so no doubt I'll still post most of the stuff on here ;)

Sorry to hear that mate, as you say hopefully you can revisit it at some point later. The D750's still one hell of a camera. Yes the D850 thread's a bit quiet so no doubt I'll still post most of the stuff on here ;)

I could have kept it and piled money on the card but for once in my life I am doing the sensible thing. I feel so grown up :ROFLMAO:

That’s a fair example. Has the live view face recognition been improved on the 850? I think the touch screen to focus in live view would do for me and definitely would be a big deal, the 750 is so poor with anything moving, that it’s
probably my only gripe with the body.

850 for me but a long way away yet.

That’s a fair example. Has the live view face recognition been improved on the 850? I think the touch screen to focus in live view would do for me and definitely would be a big deal, the 750 is so poor with anything moving, that it’s
probably my only gripe with the body.

850 for me but a long way away yet.
I don't think I'll use live view touchscreen or face recognition tbh as the AF speed isn't good enough for anything moving so the only time I'll use LV is landscapes. Apparently face detection works in 3d tracking through the VF too so I'll give that a go and see how well it copes. I'll probably end up doing what I've always done though and just use single point AF-C ;)

I don't think I'll use live view touchscreen or face recognition tbh as the AF speed isn't good enough for anything moving so the only time I'll use LV is landscapes. Apparently face detection works in 3d tracking through the VF too so I'll give that a go and see how well it copes. I'll probably end up doing what I've always done though and just use single point AF-C ;)

Never realy tried 3D tracking - always like you use single point.

Never realy tried 3D tracking - always like you use single point.
I've tried it, it's good unless you want a specific area in focus and have shallow DOF. For example, tracking sports people it will track any part of them and not necessarily the face. I don't think the D750 has face detection for tracking (only metering purposes) so I'm hoping the D850 will be better in this regards.

And if you wait till the Autum you can see what (if anything) Nikon (and for that matter Canon) announce. Bad time to be jumping ship from Nikon (and if you’re already invested Canon) perhaps?

Had a few days away with the family and was mostly wet. Other than the family snaps, had a little look at this old ruin on the way back yesterday. Seems like LR's stitching works as well as PS, this is a 7 shot stitch.

41247791732_e6d81ea566_b.jpg

But the little windows make for nice dramatic lighting..

39481540710_34e220df31_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back