Nikon D750 & D780

I'm considering moving to Sony. I have a nikon d5200 at the moment and I feel its holding me back. Want to jump to full frame. I looked at the nikon D750 but for just a little more money the Sony A7iii is all round a better deal. It's a 2018 camera vs a 2014 camera. The only bad thing is the Sony lenses cost alot.
The A7iii is a seriously good camera, and a great bang for buck. However, don't discount the D750 just because it's nearly 4 years old. It still stands up very well against current competition, and at £1125 grey is again great bang for buck.

I very nearly made the switch a couple of months back but to the A7Riii not the A7iii. Two things that stopped me, the ergonomics (not enough room between the grip and lens, and felt off balanced to the side when used in portrait orientation with the grip) and the EVF lag. There was a Sony rep in store and they changed all settings to make the EVF the least laggy it could be but it was still noticeably if panning. The A7Riii has a better EVF and higher refresh rate than the A7iii so I can only assume that the A7iii will have a lag as well. It's far from massive, and for most people it's not an issue. Just thought I'd point it out as you need to make the right choice when shelling out so much money.

For £300 more than the A7iii you can get the D850 grey ;)

The A7iii is a seriously good camera, and a great bang for buck. However, don't discount the D750 just because it's nearly 4 years old. It still stands up very well against current competition, and at £1125 grey is again great bang for buck.

I very nearly made the switch a couple of months back but to the A7Riii not the A7iii. Two things that stopped me, the ergonomics (not enough room between the grip and lens, and felt off balanced to the side when used in portrait orientation with the grip) and the EVF lag. There was a Sony rep in store and they changed all settings to make the EVF the least laggy it could be but it was still noticeably if panning. The A7Riii has a better EVF and higher refresh rate than the A7iii so I can only assume that the A7iii will have a lag as well. It's far from massive, and for most people it's not an issue. Just thought I'd point it out as you need to make the right choice when shelling out so much money.

For £300 more than the A7iii you can get the D850 grey ;)
I don't really want to buy a grey import though. Some of the nikon d750 cameras had shutter problems that had to be fixed. I don't want to risk buying one that may have been sat in a warehouse a while and may have that fault.

Also, the Sony draws me in because it can shoot 1080p 120fps. It would be a camera first but features like that would be great.

I don't really want to buy a grey import though. Some of the nikon d750 cameras had shutter problems that had to be fixed. I don't want to risk buying one that may have been sat in a warehouse a while and may have that fault.

Also, the Sony draws me in because it can shoot 1080p 120fps. It would be a camera first but features like that would be great.
I think you have the wrong idea of grey importers ;)

The Sony has some nice features for sure.

I think you have the wrong idea of grey importers ;)

The Sony has some nice features for sure.
I'd appreciate it if you enlighten me lol. All I know is that grey imports are fully genuine cameras that are just sold in other countries. Their serial numbers relate to what country they come from ect.. But that sometimes means that nikon UK warranty won't apply if my import is originaly destined for China or somewhere outside the Eu.

If I could get a new nikon d750 for 1k it would be a better deal than getting a Sony to me.

Last edited:
I'd appreciate it if you enlighten me lol. All I know is that grey imports are fully genuine cameras that are just sold in other countries. Their serial numbers relate to what country they come from ect.. But that sometimes means that nikon UK warranty won't apply if my import is originaly destined for China or somewhere outside the Eu.

If I could get a new nikon d750 for 1k it would be a better deal than getting a Sony to me.

Nikon did my recall for free on my grey D750.

You are right about that part of the grey importers, but to my knowledge they don't have stock lying around in warehouses collecting dust. If you buy one from of the more reputable grey importers such as Panamoz or HDEW you do get 3 years warranty, which is actually more than you would get buying in the UK. OK, so it's not a Nikon warranty but with the likes of Panamoz they just ask you to send it to Nikon and then foot the bill. Any recalls are covered by Nikon whether EU or grey.

You need to decide whether ethically you are happy to buy grey or not, and that of course is down to the individual. Likewise if you were to buy a camera in the US or Hong Kong some people would declare it coming through customs some would not. I can't say for sure whether grey importers pay the correct import duties and taxes, but I would guess that at the price they sell them at my guess would be that they don't. That being said, these companies are pretty big names and so you would assume that they would be easy to shut down if they were doing something wrong.

I haven't heard of one unhappy customer who's used Panamoz.

You are right about that part of the grey importers, but to my knowledge they don't have stock lying around in warehouses collecting dust. If you buy one from of the more reputable grey importers such as Panamoz or HDEW you do get 3 years warranty, which is actually more than you would get buying in the UK. OK, so it's not a Nikon warranty but with the likes of Panamoz they just ask you to send it to Nikon and then foot the bill. Any recalls are covered by Nikon whether EU or grey.

You need to decide whether ethically you are happy to buy grey or not, and that of course is down to the individual. Likewise if you were to buy a camera in the US or Hong Kong some people would declare it coming through customs some would not. I can't say for sure whether grey importers pay the correct import duties and taxes, but I would guess that at the price they sell them at my guess would be that they don't. That being said, these companies are pretty big names and so you would assume that they would be easy to shut down if they were doing something wrong.

I haven't heard of one unhappy customer who's used Panamoz.
Thanks for the info. I have seen the d750 bodies on amazon for around £1300. Some people say they are uk and some say they got an import. Would you trust amazon? I'll check out panamoz but I'd like to hear from people who used them.

Thanks for the info. I have seen the d750 bodies on amazon for around £1300. Some people say they are uk and some say they got an import. Would you trust amazon? I'll check out panamoz but I'd like to hear from people who used them.
I've used Panamoz several times and never had a problem, in fact I would say it's probably the best customer service I've had. I bought a D850 and it had a fault from day one. Panamoz replaced it without question, paying for both shipping and collection. I would trust Amazon if buying from Amazon.co.uk, but not 3rd party sellers.

I've used Panamoz several times and never had a problem, in fact I would say it's probably the best customer service I've had. I bought a D850 and it had a fault from day one. Panamoz replaced it without question, paying for both shipping and collection. I would trust Amazon if buying from Amazon.co.uk, but not 3rd party sellers.
Ok, thanks for the info. They seem decent enough based on the website info. 3 year warranty ect.. I'll look into it a bit more.

Ok, thanks for the info. They seem decent enough based on the website info. 3 year warranty ect.. I'll look into it a bit more.
If you ask you can often get a better price than the one listed.

Oh ok. Cheers.

When I get to the point where I'm definitely going to buy I'll look into it more. Definitely want a full frame though.
Tough choice between the A7iii and D750 tbh. I can see pros and cons for each. I think the A7iii probably has more going for it tbh, it's just whether its 'flaws' are big enough to be a deal breaker.

Tough choice between the A7iii and D750 tbh. I can see pros and cons for each. I think the A7iii probably has more going for it tbh, it's just whether its 'flaws' are big enough to be a deal breaker.
For me it was mainly cost. If I were to buy new from jessops, a d750 is around £1750. The A7iii is £2000. For £250 extra I'd be getting a brand new 2018 camera with higher spec and features ect.. If I could get a d750 cheaper like I said earlier it kind of swings back into the value for money category. That said, I think mirrorless is the future.

For me it was mainly cost. If I were to buy new from jessops, a d750 is around £1750. The A7iii is £2000. For £250 extra I'd be getting a brand new 2018 camera with higher spec and features ect.. If I could get a d750 cheaper like I said earlier it kind of swings back into the value for money category. That said, I think mirrorless is the future.
Yep, mirrorless is definitely the future, although DSLR will be around for a while yet. I'm interested to see what Canikon deliver in the FF mirrorless market in the next 12 months.

I got my D750, D500 and a Tamron 70-200 G2, not a single problem with panamoz, in fact the D500 I got a friend to buy it but got it delivered to me and had the warranty transferred to me also as I wasn't the original buyer. Panamoz are 100% super at what they do. Don't hesitate with a grey, like it's been said, any problems and panamoz sort it in an hour or so.

I got my D750, D500 and a Tamron 70-200 G2, not a single problem with panamoz, in fact the D500 I got a friend to buy it but got it delivered to me and had the warranty transferred to me also as I wasn't the original buyer. Panamoz are 100% super at what they do. Don't hesitate with a grey, like it's been said, any problems and panamoz sort it in an hour or so.
So you went for the D750 and D500 option rather than the D850? How’re you finding the D500?

Pretty much bought all my kit from Panamoz, superb service!

A lot depends on whether you plan to buy into a system or just one body and a couple of lenses max. If you’re coming from a D5000 series, both will be a significant upgrade in every respect. I’d personally be looking at the overall package you want, ie lenses too. They’re more important, bodies will come and go. Go try both and see what you think yourself. As Toby points out, there’s things he didn’t like but you may find acceptable. Go to a store and see what works for you.

A lot depends on whether you plan to buy into a system or just one body and a couple of lenses max. If you’re coming from a D5000 series, both will be a significant upgrade in every respect. I’d personally be looking at the overall package you want, ie lenses too. They’re more important, bodies will come and go. Go try both and see what you think yourself. As Toby points out, there’s things he didn’t like but you may find acceptable. Go to a store and see what works for you.
Thanks.

I take alot of portraits/candid shots. I want to upgrade to a full frame for better dynamic range and auto focus. My go to lenses at the moment are the 50mm prime and the 85mm prime. They are actually a tad long for my liking at the moment but when I get a full frame they will be perfect for what I'm after.

If I go with the nikon d750 it would be good because I have some lenses for it. The Sony would require me to buy a few new lenses. Both cameras have decent dynamic range but the Sony draws me in because of its auto focus system and evf, also 1080p 120fps video. I know that either camera would be a massive step up, I'm after the best value for money more than anything.

I assume you’ve tried the A7III but personally while “Mirrorless is the future” it’s not there yet and as a camera for stills (as opposed to video) I still think the D750 is better than the A7III and has the bonus of an OVF which I can use for more than 30 seconds without getting a headache!

So you went for the D750 and D500 option rather than the D850? How’re you finding the D500?
Ok so had the D750 for about 1.5 years now or so and as I liked the D500 for its fast focus and being a crop sensor I thought it would make sense to get a D500, Remember I also like Macro stuff so a crop sensor is better imo.
I have not been out with the D500 atm for any faster stuff due to the crap weather we`ve been having but I guess that will change soon.
Obviously I`ll keep the D750 for sea/landscape stuff and I`m very happy with its DR and other things.

Had a D750 and sometimes miss it.

But those Nikon greens are crap.

I don’t see that either? Love the colours.

For the record, I’m with @Eloise don’t like the feel of the Sony and the menus are dire. I don’t miss many shots and when you think back to cameras we used to use with poor AF, the 750 is awesome. I’ve got too much glass invested these days.

Sure I saw a post saying Nikon greens were crap, the guy must have gone to Canon?

Most people slap a preset on to their own taste anyway and so what relevance after bit depth and DR, is there? Both of which are up there with the best of any camera. Colours can, and are usually, tweaked to individuals tastes. I don’t get these comments?

To much tweaking these days, presets should be able to be uploaded to the camera to do away with the processing afterwards.

Most people slap a preset on to their own taste anyway and so what relevance after bit depth and DR, is there? Both of which are up there with the best of any camera. Colours can, and are usually, tweaked to individuals tastes. I don’t get these comments?
This is true, although I have to say I had a real tough time getting the Sony colours how I liked them. I generally find that the Nikon Camera Standard profile in Lightroom adds too much yellow saturation and so by default I have yellow saturation set to -15, but that's the only tweak of colour I make. Adobe standard profile is too magenta and too flat for me.

To much tweaking these days, presets should be able to be uploaded to the camera to do away with the processing afterwards.
Cameras do have presets for jpeg, which you can tweak to suit. RAW is RAW so they shouldn't apply presets imo. But if you have a preset in Lightroom tweaking is minimal. I have a preset in LR that is automatically applied at import and so my only editing is any exposure change and cropping, unless it's the odd pic where I go to town on it. Couldn't get any easier for 95% of my images these days.

Off photograph my mstr doing trail riding. I'm trying to convince myself I only need my 70-200. But keep getting a what if moment haha

Off photograph my mstr doing trail riding. I'm trying to convince myself I only need my 70-200. But keep getting a what if moment haha
What's this mean in English? ;)

But that’s digital photography . If you want a specific, out the camera ‘look’, shoot film.

However, the ‘process’ can be as simple or involved as you want.

Last edited:
That wouldn’t do away with processing though you’d just be simply swapping one computer for another. Don’t forgot a digital camera is a computer and can do post processing. It has a screen, ram, storage, cpu, software, operating system and input device.

For anyone who thinks it’s better ‘to do it in camera’ Your very much fooling yourself.

Dunno, I was shooting Canon back then [emoji3]

Are you shooting jpegs then? I’m with @snerkler in that I usually have a basic preset to deal with colour, contrast etc on import to leave WB and exposure tweaks for everyday shooting.

I've always shot raw/jpg. Back then it was Canon and Sony which only needed a small amount of sharpening. Anyway, things change and not always for the better

If you say so! Colour was truer to the subject SOC back in 2005
Really? The D750 and now D850 are the most true to life colours that I've seen. Canon have 'pleasing' colour, but not (imo) as accurate to life.

The only green issue I've had is the new sigma lens. There's definitely a tinge more green the all of my Nikkors. But with PP you can adjust to taste.

40399824460_bd1c32a8d1_b.jpg

The only green issue I've had is the new sigma lens. There's definitely a tinge more green the all of my Nikkors. But with PP you can adjust to taste.

40399824460_bd1c32a8d1_b.jpg
That is another factor for sure, the rendering of the lenses. People forget about that.

Back