Nikon D750 & D780

Last edited:
[QUOTE="JJ!, post: 8175877, member: 20894"
I have yet to see any pics in the Sony thread that blow me away - yet the pics in this thread with 'old tech' continue to make me take notice![/QUOTE]

I’ve stopped short in saying that but have thought it plenty.

I’ve only glanced at the thread so haven’t looked at specifics but some of the lenses being used don’t render that well at all IMHO. But... at the end of the day I’m in it for me, not the gear. It’s nice having the latest, if you can see a marked difference. I don’t think I’d see a difference for me and lose valuable money in the process.

I can see the advantage of a silent shutter for a wedding snapper and if the eye AF is that good, might help a bit. But it’s only slight differences and nothing to warrant anything for me. Invested and happy with Nikon, and that’s all that matters. Would like an 850 though to go with the 750....

Didn’t need eye AF for this one! Dodgy greens again though.

28404350758_088aec1a95_b.jpg

I have yet to see any pics in the Sony thread that blow me away - yet the pics in this thread with 'old tech' continue to make me take notice!

I’ve stopped short in saying that but have thought it plenty.

I’ve only glanced at the thread so haven’t looked at specifics but some of the lenses being used don’t render that well at all IMHO. But... at the end of the day I’m in it for me, not the gear. It’s nice having the latest, if you can see a marked difference. I don’t think I’d see a difference for me and lose valuable money in the process.

I can see the advantage of a silent shutter for a wedding snapper and if the eye AF is that good, might help a bit. But it’s only slight differences and nothing to warrant anything for me. Invested and happy with Nikon, and that’s all that matters. Would like an 850 though to go with the 750....

It's a strange one. No doubt the Sony A7's and A9 are capable of great shots, when I was looking I downloaded enough sample RAWs (A7iii and A7riii) to know that you can get truly great images from it, detail was and rendering was great. However, on the whole I would say I prefer members shots from their previous cameras. Part of me feels that part of the problems is the profiles in Lightroom as they're not great tbh, I couldn't find one that I liked and created my own. maybe it's not Adobe's fault as they just try and mimic the Sony profiles as closely as they can, but for me the Sony profile colours aren't to my taste and they don't have as much pop. My thoughts are that the Sony RAWs need more care and attention in post processing to get the really nice final image. Of course this is solved fairly easily by having a good preset as a base. Just my thoughts and observations of course ;)

It's a strange one. No doubt the Sony A7's and A9 are capable of great shots, when I was looking I downloaded enough sample RAWs (A7iii and A7riii) to know that you can get truly great images from it, detail was and rendering was great. However, on the whole I would say I prefer members shots from their previous cameras. Part of me feels that part of the problems is the profiles in Lightroom as they're not great tbh, I couldn't find one that I liked and created my own. maybe it's not Adobe's fault as they just try and mimic the Sony profiles as closely as they can, but for me the Sony profile colours aren't to my taste and they don't have as much pop. My thoughts are that the Sony RAWs need more care and attention in post processing to get the really nice final image. Of course this is solved fairly easily by having a good preset as a base. Just my thoughts and observations of course ;)

Another interesting point is that if you’ve invested in off the shelf presets from
Companies like VSCO etc they’re based on Canikon. I’m sure you can faff with the profiles to get a similar output in the end, but...

I like the last one with the house in the background! Nikon 35mm?

I have yet to see any pics in the Sony thread that blow me away - yet the pics in this thread with 'old tech' continue to make me take notice!

Thanks, Sigma 35 art probably wide open.

Well it was a public day here yesterday so just a few hours work for me so on the spur of the moment we decided to take a drive to see the Vultures and the lovely Gorge scenery.
Here`s one from the afternoon with some very moody skies with distant showers.
I decided to do a B & W conversion but tbh I`m not up on doing conversions but here`s my effort.
Also one of a Rainbow that was there as we arrived. (obviously in colour)

GRE_0783 by Graham, on Flickr

GRE_0779 by Graham, on Flickr

Just to keep the D750 flowing.

I don't make a habit of messing with my photos too much but I thought I'd have a play around in LR with a snapshot. I had no idea what I was oing, just pushing sliders around. Kinda like the effect.

Note also the unusually shallow depth of field!

sheep-1.jpg

Never used them side by side unfortunately (or at all in the Nikon’s case) but the Sigma is pretty bloody good. Mine needed micro adjustment (the same for both bodies) and now it’s superb

Does anyone own the Sigma dock and hire it out? lol

Never used them side by side unfortunately (or at all in the Nikon’s case) but the Sigma is pretty bloody good. Mine needed micro adjustment (the same for both bodies) and now it’s superb

I know the Nikon has that little bit more weather sealing, but not sure how else they differ!

I can only say coming from multiple d750 cameras that.... Eek the a73 is a better camera, for me, it's very impressive how far mirrorless has come and in the past 2.5k actuations I have taken some of my best images which haven't required any more tweaking than my d750 files.

I haven't used the native sigma 35 art yet but have the 50 on its way. The Fe 85 1.8 is far superior to the 85 1.8g. The SZ 35 is stunning if it wasn't for that QC nag. The samyang 35 1.4 af is ridiculously good value for money.

I’m the opposite! Ran A7R3 side by side and didn’t like it for a number of reasons.

But it’s been talked about to death now so not worth me bringing up all the reasons lol!

Last edited:
I can only say coming from multiple d750 cameras that.... Eek the a73 is a better camera, for me, it's very impressive how far mirrorless has come and in the past 2.5k actuations I have taken some of my best images which haven't required any more tweaking than my d750 files.

I haven't used the native sigma 35 art yet but have the 50 on its way. The Fe 85 1.8 is far superior to the 85 1.8g. The SZ 35 is stunning if it wasn't for that QC nag. The samyang 35 1.4 af is ridiculously good value for money.
Yep all comes down to personal preference. There’s a number of users that have swapped to Sony and I don’t like what they’re churning out as much as previous systems, the final image just doesn’t look as pleasing. I’m sure it’s just down to colours and processing though as the images are plenty sharp enough and detailed enough. I found the same with the samples I used, none of the profiles in LR (adobe standard, camera standard etc) looked nice to me and really don’t flatter the camera, which surprised me as I’ve seen some stunning images on Flickr. I spent quite some time tweaking colours, hues, calibration shadows etc and finally got the files looking really nice. It really proved a point to me that so much of making an image look nice with plenty of ‘pop’ etc really does come down to processing, and if you like everything about a camera except it’s final output then don’t give up on it as it’s probably just down to processing. If I found the ergonomics better and no lag I’d have happily bought the A7Riii knowing that I could get a really good output from it after having a play in LR.

Obviously this is all just my opinion and my tastes and obviously for everyone else YMMV (y)

Just couldn't get in the groove today. Even got frustrated with the finest lens Nikon makes - the 28-300. :D

So I put a vignette on this one to cheer myself up.

d500 with the 16-80 ordered today as my 2nd body. Looks like ill have to give them a shake up on the d500 forum :D:D:D
I`ve not even posted there yet...:eek:

So what prime focal length would you be looking at as a walk around lens for just general purpose stuff? Going for walks in the country side, walking round London etc.

I guess it will just depend on the overall look I am after or how close I want to get to things?!

I don't want to end up in peoples faces lol!

So what prime focal length would you be looking at as a walk around lens for just general purpose stuff? Going for walks in the country side, walking round London etc.

I guess it will just depend on the overall look I am after or how close I want to get to things?!

I don't want to end up in peoples faces lol!

35mm

Back