Nikon D750 & D780

You’ll have to tell me about these cameras that are better for ‘not much more”?

I've played with a couple of cameras that are better than the D750, but I guess it depends on your definition of 'not much more.' Based on Wex charging £1500 for the D750 you can have the A7iii for £2000. For me, that's not much more. Going grey gets you a 5DIV for £2k (albeit savings can be had with a grey D750). The D500 and Fuji XH1 are also compelling alternatives if you don't mind a crop sensor.

At current used prices though, the D750 is a steal, just as the D700 was about 4 years ago. That's my point.

I've played with a couple of cameras that are better than the D750, but I guess it depends on your definition of 'not much more.' Based on Wex charging £1500 for the D750 you can have the A7iii for £2000. For me, that's not much more. Going grey gets you a 5DIV for £2k (albeit savings can be had with a grey D750). The D500 and Fuji XH1 are also compelling alternatives if you don't mind a crop sensor.

At current used prices though, the D750 is a steal, just as the D700 was about 4 years ago. That's my point.
No point comparing grey with UK prices tbh. The D750 is 3/4 the price of the A7iii, when you look at it that way then the A7iii is considerably more. Now whether £500 is a lot of money that’s down to the individual (y)

But D750 vs A7iii can be debated till the cows come home. The A7iii has more bells and whistles but I still prefer the output from the D750. The D750 has better weather sealing I believe, and for some better ergonomics. You then have the lag of the EVF to consider whether it will affect you or not (it did me on the A7riii).

Whilst it may seem like I’m arguing for the Nikon and putting the Sony down I’m not, all I’m trying to point out is that whilst the Sony is new and the Nikon is 4 years old there are still areas where the Nikon is better (for some) and therefore a better buy (for some). We can’t assume that newer cameras are always better, or better for everyone. That being said, the main features the A7iii has that would interest me are the much wider AF spread, frame rate and buffer.

I guess i should have stated in the original post that i am buying Grey and the deal for the D750 is around £1400 with the 24-120mm F4 kit lens.
My alternate choice would be the Sony A6500 with the 18-105 F4 and possibly a 30mm 1.4 Sigma prime for around £1500 all in.

I honestly dont know if i need a full frame camera but i am interested in trying one out but i cannot afford to go for an A7iii so that is why the D750 has taken my fancy

Last edited:
I guess i should have stated in the original post that i am buying Grey and the deal for the D750 is around £1400 with the 24-120mm F4 kit lens.
My alternate choice would be the Sony A6500 with the 18-105 F4 and possibly a 30mm 1.4 Sigma prime for around £1500 all in.

I honestly dont know if i need a full frame camera but i am interested in trying one out but i cannot afford to go for an A7iii so that is why the D750 has taken my fancy
Only you can decide what's right for you (y) One big advantage of mirrorless is using live view (rear LCD screen) with good autofocus, live view AF on DSLR is rubbish (barring Canon's dual pixel)

Last edited:

What do you want to shoot? Or aspire towards?

What do you want to shoot? Or aspire towards?

Iv'e not really thought that about it to be honest.
A bit of everything i guess. I'm off on a family holiday in July, and that was my main reason for wanting to buy a camera again. But i want to get out and about with it once i have returned.
I want to take photos my kids and pets, wildlife, landscapes and also my son plays football and rugby so i would like to shoot some of his games as well. I know i will need to buy much larger lenses for the wildlife and sports but i will think about that later.

It's 33% more! £50 would be 'not much more'. :D

I guess it's all about perspective. £50 would be 'not much more' on something costing £250 for me. When it comes to camera bodies that I'm shelling out £1500+ for, £500 isn't a huge difference in the greater scheme of things - £125-150 a year based on the usual lifecycle of my camera bodies.

I have shot professionally with nothing but Nikon for 11 years. I own 4xD750 bodies and have shot exclusively with the D750 for around 3 years. I imagine that Nikon has sold at least 15 or 20 D750 bodies on my recommendation. But I'm being completely objective when I say that (after extensive use) the A7iii is better in almost every respect. 33% better? In my opinion, easily so.

But that wasn't the point of my post. I was merely offering advice that there are some incredible D750 bargains in the used market. Buying 4-year-old tech brand new makes less sense to me when you can get a pristine used camera for much less. Comparing a good condition used D750 at around £700 to some of the current £2k bodies levels suddenly makes the D750 incredible value. I still recommend the D750 to people but point them to used cameras first. Just trying to be helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tav
I guess it's all about perspective. £50 would be 'not much more' on something costing £250 for me. When it comes to camera bodies that I'm shelling out £1500+ for, £500 isn't a huge difference in the greater scheme of things - £125-150 a year based on the usual lifecycle of my camera bodies.

I have shot professionally with nothing but Nikon for 11 years. I own 4xD750 bodies and have shot exclusively with the D750 for around 3 years. I imagine that Nikon has sold at least 15 or 20 D750 bodies on my recommendation. But I'm being completely objective when I say that (after extensive use) the A7iii is better in almost every respect. 33% better? In my opinion, easily so.

But that wasn't the point of my post. I was merely offering advice that there are some incredible D750 bargains in the used market. Buying 4-year-old tech brand new makes less sense to me when you can get a pristine used camera for much less. Comparing a good condition used D750 at around £700 to some of the current £2k bodies levels suddenly makes the D750 incredible value. I still recommend the D750 to people but point them to used cameras first. Just trying to be helpful.
Tbh used is nearly always a wiser option in terms of value for money, unless you consider grey in which case I would rather pay £1100 brand new grey with three years warranty than £950-1000 excellent condition used from a store. I’m not sure how good a condition D750 would be for £700 tbh, I recently sold my excellent condition one for £900 so for £200 less I’d expect condition to be a bit ‘meh’.

As for the A7 series they are so nearly there, the mark iii’s are fantastic.

A bit of everything i guess. I'm off on a family holiday in July, and that was my main reason for wanting to buy a camera again. But i want to get out and about with it once i have returned.
I want to take photos my kids and pets, wildlife, landscapes and also my son plays football and rugby so i would like to shoot some of his games as well. I know i will need to buy much larger lenses for the wildlife and sports but i will think about that later.

The d750 is more than enough for most of those scenarios. For your sons sports I would say a 70-200 would be ideal. That's what I've used in the past. If you are after wildlife then a 150-600 Is what I use. All depends how close you want to get.
I have the d500 which I use mostly for wildlife due to it being a crop sensor and has a better af system. I am fortunate as a hobbyist that I can have 2 bodies. But if I had to choose 1 it would be the d750 all day long.

But I'm being completely objective when I say that (after extensive use) the A7iii is better in almost every respect. 33% better? In my opinion, easily.

That’s some statement Dec and I value your opinion. I haven’t personally seen anything tangible in terms of output myself, if anything, some of the lens rendering has looked a bit off.
A third better than a 750, please divulge.

I think that you need to consider your pocket, thereafter. A working pro will have different needs than us mere weekend warriors. Cost is largely second fiddle to buying the best kit possible. Consider what lenses you may well buy afterwards (and flash etc). Nikon and Canon demand the largest slice of the market still and so secondhand deals are plentiful.

If you want to shoot sports, and a bit of wildlife, then both of those brands have plenty of options that won’t warrant a remortgage.

The 750 for me, is still far more capable than I am and the output is superb. I’ve personally bought into the whole system and so to change 6 lenses, 4 flashes etc etc is just going to dent the finances. Always think about the long ball game, unless money, or professional needs outweigh that. I’ve mellowed with age. 15 years ago I would have jumped on the latest bandwagon, not no more. If you only desire a couple of lenses (ie don’t spend big on a system) or don’t do this professionally, then any of the options you mention will work well.

To add some perspective to this debate, my D750 (new) + 70-200 G2 2.8 (used) + Tamron 24-70 2.8 (used) cost me around £2200 the equivalent A7III and native e-mount 2.8 lenses would but what, about £4500 even if bought used?

No real competition there for me.

Now that's one really objective comparison that's not 33% better! :p

I would seriously consider the lenses that you want before buying a body then. Nikon still have far more lenses to choose from, although Sony now have enough for most scenarios. However, all the Sony FF lenses are top end and so are very expensive in comparison to what you can get Nikon/3rd party glass for. Obviously it's not comparing like for like but if you want a wildlife lens for Sony your only option really is the 100-400mm which is £2499 UK price. You can get a Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm for £800, and the IQ of these lenses is very good. You can get a Sigma/Tamron 100-400mm for £700. Even if you wanted to stay main brand you can get the Nikon 200-500mm for £1300 which is pretty much half price of the Sony. A Sony 24-70mm f2.8 will set you back £1850 whereas the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 is £200 cheaper. Alternatively you can get Nikon fit Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G@ for £1250. Used prices tend to favour Nikon too as the Sony stuff is still pretty new and fetches a higher price used.

When choosing a camera it is important to think about the whole system and what future costs might be.

Another thing to consider is holidays, for me the D750 system is too bulky (although plenty are happy to take it with them) and I find mirrorless suits me better due to better live view, plus size and weight. I'm lucky in that I run two systems, Nikon (although have recently sold my D750 and bought the D850) and Olympus m4/3. For me the IQ from the Olympus is excellent, and more than good enough for travel. And this is the reason that I very nearly swapped to Sony, so that I could just have one system rather than two. However, the EVF lag and ergonomics (lack of room between the grip and lens as well as the balance of the camera when using in portrait mode with 70-200mm) prevented me from doing so. Another factor was that I would have to sell both cameras and all lenses (see my signature for full list) and all I would have been able to afford in return was the A7Riii, 24-70mm f4 and 70-200mm f2.8, so that'd be selling 8 lenses and two bodies in order to get one body and two lenses :eek:

To add some perspective to this debate, my D750 (new) + 70-200 G2 2.8 (used) + Tamron 24-70 2.8 (used) cost me around £2200 the equivalent A7III and native e-mount 2.8 lenses would but what, about £4500 even if bought used?

Wow when you put it like that its a no brainer. Thats all the focal range i think i would ever need, apart from a nice sharp prime for portraits.

I think im sold on the D750.

Wow when you put it like that its a no brainer. Thats all the focal range i think i would ever need, apart from a nice sharp prime for portraits.

I think im sold on the D750.

Nowt wrong with the Tammy 70-200 for portraits, as sharp as anything in that range.

There was another thread on here some where that was someone asking about going full frame. (Well there's probably more than one).

Like most threads it went off track basically I think there was a few people staring if they were starting out again and were after full frame the d750 would be the weapon of choice. As our resident lab tech has stated pound for pound not a lot will touch the d750.

That’s some statement Dec and I value your opinion. I haven’t personally seen anything tangible in terms of output myself, if anything, some of the lens rendering has looked a bit off.
A third better than a 750, please divulge.

I should probably go into detail, so forgive me if this is long. I’m sure there are D750 users considering a switch so this may be relevant here. This is not the case of a Sony fanboy coming in to troll D750 users but intended as my objective comparison of the two bodies as far as possible. Some points will logically be subjective based on what or how I shoot.

So here we go…

I first grabbed the A7iii expecting not to like it. I'd used various A7 iterations over the years so thought that ergonomically it wouldn't be for me. I'd also heard endless talk of 'nightmare' menus. I've had various Fuji mirrorless cameras over the years which I've loved but have led me to believe mirrorless is a long way off. I also have a full Nikon system that has served me really well and helped me capture some of the best images of my life. While I'm generally not a fanboy, I am fairly brand-loyal and having shot Nikon for 11 years I would always consider their offerings first. I loved and still love the D750.

So, in short I wasn't actually being objectively fair to the Sony when I first grabbed it.

Now, in the past I've contemplated changing system only twice. Both times to Canon and both times, after testing and consideration, I didn't do it. This time was different. After a day with the A7iii we made the decision to put ourselves through the abject hell of changing camera systems.

The first thing that shocked me about the A7iii was the ergonomics. The important disclaimer here is that I'm 5ft9 and accordingly have dainty lady-hands, but it felt perfect. The grip is nicely recessed like the D750 and I didn't have the 'pinky problem' I'd had using other Sonys. Within a minute or two I was totally at ease with how everything was placed. Aperture/shutter control just like Nikon. ISO control even easier than Nikon. So the much-maligned ergonomics, for me at least, were as good as or better than my much-beloved D750. Remember the ergonomic complaints about the D750 when it came out? While the D750 kinda short-changed back-button shooters, the A7iii gets it spot on offering both dedicated AF-ON and AEL buttons on the back.

Then there's the menu system. I could see how it could be daunting at first, but I'm a geek. I quickly grew to enjoy the depth to it. Sony have left the camera pretty open to customisation so there's a lot you can change and as a result the menu is extensive. Like Nikon, though, you can assign things you'll often use to a 'my menu' type thing cutting out stuff that you won't need on a shoot. The Function menu is also brilliant, allowing you to change your most used features without taking an eye off what you’re shooting. Like the D750, once you've set it up to your tastes you shouldn't really need to go into the menu system often. The customisable buttons are utterly brilliant. In fact, pretty much everything is customisable in almost every way - this again flew in the face of my ergonomics concerns. I remember marvelling that I could assign my movie Rec button to control ISO on the D750. The Sony is next level in that regard and it's a very clever way of doing things.

Next we have the AF. I shot in good weather but from midday to near enough midnight when I first had a go on the A7iii. First is the ingenuity in the AF system - eye focusing and edge to edge tracking is just marvellous to use. I had dismissed Eye-Focus as a gimmick but it is a proper delight leaving you to concentrate more on framing. I've yet to test it, but my friend uses the face recognition control and swears by it for weddings. Basically, you take a pic of the Bride in the morning and can at any stage set the camera to prioritise her face in any large groups throughout the day. The tracking is incredible, I shot my friend backlit in evening light jumping and moving fast towards me at 10fps and it literally missed focus on 1 or 2 in 10 images. The D750 gets nowhere near it in this respect. Being able to shift your focus points right to the edge of the frame is wonderful. One of my biggest gripes about the D750 was the limited spread of AF points - especially as I'd come from a D4 which had a wider spread.

In low light I found it to best the D750 in regard to both AF and high ISO ability. I didn't find the camera hunting around for focus in light that had me shooting over 6400 ISO, unlike other mirrorless cameras (and DSLRs) I've used. In fact, eye focus was often still working accurately. In post, I found more colour depth in high ISOs than on the D750 when I compared shots side by side. The Nikon also missed focus more than the Sony in low light (it was still great though).

The D750 is responsible for making me use live view to shoot. I both loved the feature (flippy screen and exposure preview) and hated it (p***-poor AF and screen blackout). Being able to use the same incredible focus you get on the EVF to shoot in LV is a gift. Anyone who knows my work will know I love shooting from a variety of perspectives and angles (and shooting through things). Doing this on the D750 was a fight for good focus, on the A7iii it's a total joy.

In terms of IQ and lens rendering I'm more than happy. It took me 10 minutes in Lightroom to adjust my presets for Sony - it feels a lot like editing Nikon files. The Zeiss 85mm is absolutely gorgeous and the Sony 85mm FE1.8 is incredibly sharp. I also used Sony's own 55 1.8 and 35mm 1.4 which both produced lovely images and focused fast. I've gone for a Sigma art 35mm for price reasons but have yet to get it so can't comment on how it translates to e-mount. But honestly, I'm not a big pixel peeper. I often keep or sell lenses based on factors I can't readily articulate.

On lenses, for some this could be a major flaw. There simply isn’t as many lenses for the Sony as there are for CaNikon cameras, and some (not all) of the Sony glass is ridiculously expensive. That said, I know people who are happily shooting with their old Canon glass with no issues, and Sigma have made a big statement by supporting the FE mount on the Art range and offering an alternative to the pricier Sony range. Before the sigma announcement I didn’t think I’d bother to even try out the A7iii let alone consider the switch.

The buffer, a big gripe of mine with the D750 from day one, is perfect. It never once stopped shooting before I wanted to. Too many times I've found myself outside a church, covered in confetti and watching a couple kiss while cursing at my D750 that had gone on strike. 10fps is ridiculous, and should you need it the buffer keeps up with it well. Silent shooting is a godsend and now allows me to do Still Photography without a blimp, or become discreet when a wedding/event requires it. There’s also an anti-flicker shooting (though not in silent mode) - this will make it much easier for me to PP poorly lit venues.

EVFs are marmite, but I love them. No more chimping to double-check exposures - I know I’ve nailed it (and likely the focus too). The blackout is no more noticeable than on my D750 when the mirror flies up. And when in silent mode it’s actually quietly reassuring to get that flicker and know that you did actually take the shot! I recall being disappointed that the D750 didn't have focus peaking. Shooting my manual Nikon lenses on the Sony is more enjoyable than shooting them on Nikon, especially the tilt-shift because of FP. I have no issues with lag or disorientation that I’ve heard from some. And reviewing images on the EVF in harsh sunlight is helpful

In terms of battery, it’s rare that I need to use a second battery in my D750s while shooting a wedding. I’m sure the A7iii will take 2. But in saying that, the battery tech is superb considering it’s powering an EVF and screen constantly. If I heavily use my D750 screen to shoot, the battery depletes quickly. You can charge the A7iii via USB or USB-C, meaning that those big Anker battery packs or your car USB ports can top you up should you need it. USB charging in general is a great failsafe if you’ve travelled for a shoot and forgot to pack your battery charger (more on the charger later grrrr) or if you shoot destinations and want to save weight.

It does have flaws, or what could be perceived to be flaws by some. The same people who complained about the D750 body being too small (It was a criticism when it came out) will hate the size of it. Although my friend is a 6-footer with big manly, man-hands and he loves it. There’s no way to quickly turn on/off auto ISO. The clock inexplicably has no second counter so syncing 4 cameras is unnecessarily awkward - it can’t be done via software like the D750. The tilt screen can be fiddly to articulate as it doesn’t really have anything for your nails to grip onto - the D750 comes screen out much more easily. They don’t bundle a dedicated charger with it and the official one costs £70, which is pretty mean and a big PR misstep. Good third party double chargers are only £20-30 though and it is great that you can charge via USB. But the biggest gripe is there is currently no lossless compressed RAW format, which is pretty poor. Some of these issues can and really should be fixed by firmware updates if Sony bothers to listen.

So, is it 33% better than the D750? Being a big fan of the D750 and as objective as possible, I say it is easily so. I once said this about the D750 but, pound for pound, the A7iii is the best full-frame camera I’ve used. Whether you need one as a D750 shooter is, as ever, a different question entirely.

Full disclaimer: I am not a representative for Sony or Nikon, nor do I work with either company. I buy all my gear and the only contact I have with camera companies is when something messes up. This comparison is based on my real world shooting, often side by side with the D750 for comparison. I specifically haven’t commented on weather sealing, quality control or durability of the A7iii because it’s too early for me to say how it performs. If there's significant interest, I can update findings after I start to use it on weddings.

I should probably go into detail, so forgive me if this is long. I’m sure there are D750 users considering a switch so this may be relevant here. This is not the case of a Sony fanboy coming in to troll D750 users but intended as my objective comparison of the two bodies as far as possible. Some points will logically be subjective based on what or how I shoot.

So here we go…

I first grabbed the A7iii expecting not to like it. I'd used various A7 iterations over the years so thought that ergonomically it wouldn't be for me. I'd also heard endless talk of 'nightmare' menus. I've had various Fuji mirrorless cameras over the years which I've loved but have led me to believe mirrorless is a long way off. I also have a full Nikon system that has served me really well and helped me capture some of the best images of my life. While I'm generally not a fanboy, I am fairly brand-loyal and having shot Nikon for 11 years I would always consider their offerings first. I loved and still love the D750.

So, in short I wasn't actually being objectively fair to the Sony when I first grabbed it.

Now, in the past I've contemplated changing system only twice. Both times to Canon and both times, after testing and consideration, I didn't do it. This time was different. After a day with the A7iii we made the decision to put ourselves through the abject hell of changing camera systems.

The first thing that shocked me about the A7iii was the ergonomics. The important disclaimer here is that I'm 5ft9 and accordingly have dainty lady-hands, but it felt perfect. The grip is nicely recessed like the D750 and I didn't have the 'pinky problem' I'd had using other Sonys. Within a minute or two I was totally at ease with how everything was placed. Aperture/shutter control just like Nikon. ISO control even easier than Nikon. So the much-maligned ergonomics, for me at least, were as good as or better than my much-beloved D750. Remember the ergonomic complaints about the D750 when it came out? While the D750 kinda short-changed back-button shooters, the A7iii gets it spot on offering both dedicated AF-ON and AEL buttons on the back.

Then there's the menu system. I could see how it could be daunting at first, but I'm a geek. I quickly grew to enjoy the depth to it. Sony have left the camera pretty open to customisation so there's a lot you can change and as a result the menu is extensive. Like Nikon, though, you can assign things you'll often use to a 'my menu' type thing cutting out stuff that you won't need on a shoot. The Function menu is also brilliant, allowing you to change your most used features without taking an eye off what you’re shooting. Like the D750, once you've set it up to your tastes you shouldn't really need to go into the menu system often. The customisable buttons are utterly brilliant. In fact, pretty much everything is customisable in almost every way - this again flew in the face of my ergonomics concerns. I remember marvelling that I could assign my movie Rec button to control ISO on the D750. The Sony is next level in that regard and it's a very clever way of doing things.

Next we have the AF. I shot in good weather but from midday to near enough midnight when I first had a go on the A7iii. First is the ingenuity in the AF system - eye focusing and edge to edge tracking is just marvellous to use. I had dismissed Eye-Focus as a gimmick but it is a proper delight leaving you to concentrate more on framing. I've yet to test it, but my friend uses the face recognition control and swears by it for weddings. Basically, you take a pic of the Bride in the morning and can at any stage set the camera to prioritise her face in any large groups throughout the day. The tracking is incredible, I shot my friend backlit in evening light jumping and moving fast towards me at 10fps and it literally missed focus on 1 or 2 in 10 images. The D750 gets nowhere near it in this respect. Being able to shift your focus points right to the edge of the frame is wonderful. One of my biggest gripes about the D750 was the limited spread of AF points - especially as I'd come from a D4 which had a wider spread.

In low light I found it to best the D750 in regard to both AF and high ISO ability. I didn't find the camera hunting around for focus in light that had me shooting over 6400 ISO, unlike other mirrorless cameras (and DSLRs) I've used. In fact, eye focus was often still working accurately. In post, I found more colour depth in high ISOs than on the D750 when I compared shots side by side. The Nikon also missed focus more than the Sony in low light (it was still great though).

The D750 is responsible for making me use live view to shoot. I both loved the feature (flippy screen and exposure preview) and hated it (p***-poor AF and screen blackout). Being able to use the same incredible focus you get on the EVF to shoot in LV is a gift. Anyone who knows my work will know I love shooting from a variety of perspectives and angles (and shooting through things). Doing this on the D750 was a fight for good focus, on the A7iii it's a total joy.

In terms of IQ and lens rendering I'm more than happy. It took me 10 minutes in Lightroom to adjust my presets for Sony - it feels a lot like editing Nikon files. The Zeiss 85mm is absolutely gorgeous and the Sony 85mm FE1.8 is incredibly sharp. I also used Sony's own 55 1.8 and 35mm 1.4 which both produced lovely images and focused fast. I've gone for a Sigma art 35mm for price reasons but have yet to get it so can't comment on how it translates to e-mount. But honestly, I'm not a big pixel peeper. I often keep or sell lenses based on factors I can't readily articulate.

On lenses, for some this could be a major flaw. There simply isn’t as many lenses for the Sony as there are for CaNikon cameras, and some (not all) of the Sony glass is ridiculously expensive. That said, I know people who are happily shooting with their old Canon glass with no issues, and Sigma have made a big statement by supporting the FE mount on the Art range and offering an alternative to the pricier Sony range. Before the sigma announcement I didn’t think I’d bother to even try out the A7iii let alone consider the switch.

The buffer, a big gripe of mine with the D750 from day one, is perfect. It never once stopped shooting before I wanted to. Too many times I've found myself outside a church, covered in confetti and watching a couple kiss while cursing at my D750 that had gone on strike. 10fps is ridiculous, and should you need it the buffer keeps up with it well. Silent shooting is a godsend and now allows me to do Still Photography without a blimp, or become discreet when a wedding/event requires it. There’s also an anti-flicker shooting (though not in silent mode) - this will make it much easier for me to PP poorly lit venues.

EVFs are marmite, but I love them. No more chimping to double-check exposures - I know I’ve nailed it (and likely the focus too). The blackout is no more noticeable than on my D750 when the mirror flies up. And when in silent mode it’s actually quietly reassuring to get that flicker and know that you did actually take the shot! I recall being disappointed that the D750 didn't have focus peaking. Shooting my manual Nikon lenses on the Sony is more enjoyable than shooting them on Nikon, especially the tilt-shift because of FP. I have no issues with lag or disorientation that I’ve heard from some. And reviewing images on the EVF in harsh sunlight is helpful

In terms of battery, it’s rare that I need to use a second battery in my D750s while shooting a wedding. I’m sure the A7iii will take 2. But in saying that, the battery tech is superb considering it’s powering an EVF and screen constantly. If I heavily use my D750 screen to shoot, the battery depletes quickly. You can charge the A7iii via USB or USB-C, meaning that those big Anker battery packs or your car USB ports can top you up should you need it. USB charging in general is a great failsafe if you’ve travelled for a shoot and forgot to pack your battery charger (more on the charger later grrrr) or if you shoot destinations and want to save weight.

It does have flaws, or what could be perceived to be flaws by some. The same people who complained about the D750 body being too small (It was a criticism when it came out) will hate the size of it. Although my friend is a 6-footer with big manly, man-hands and he loves it. There’s no way to quickly turn on/off auto ISO. The clock inexplicably has no second counter so syncing 4 cameras is unnecessarily awkward - it can’t be done via software like the D750. The tilt screen can be fiddly to articulate as it doesn’t really have anything for your nails to grip onto - the D750 comes screen out much more easily. They don’t bundle a dedicated charger with it and the official one costs £70, which is pretty mean and a big PR misstep. Good third party double chargers are only £20-30 though and it is great that you can charge via USB. But the biggest gripe is there is currently no lossless compressed RAW format, which is pretty poor. Some of these issues can and really should be fixed by firmware updates if Sony bothers to listen.

So, is it 33% better than the D750? Being a big fan of the D750 and as objective as possible, I say it is easily so. I once said this about the D750 but, pound for pound, the A7iii is the best full-frame camera I’ve used. Whether you need one as a D750 shooter is, as ever, a different question entirely.

Full disclaimer: I am not a representative for Sony or Nikon, nor do I work with either company. I buy all my gear and the only contact I have with camera companies is when something messes up. This comparison is based on my real world shooting, often side by side with the D750 for comparison. I specifically haven’t commented on weather sealing, quality control or durability of the A7iii because it’s too early for me to say how it performs. If there's significant interest, I can update findings after I start to use it on weddings.
Interesting write up thanks. There's no doubt that the edge to edge AF is handy, and if you like it then eye AF too. I think the whole Sony A7iii vs D750 debate can run and run tbh, thank god we have a choice (y). Do you have a link to some of your stuff, I'm genuinely interested to see how you PP the Sony files (y)

Not a very good comparison for anyone else though.

D750 - 1500
A7iii - 1900
24-70 VR (which isn't as good as a GM) vs GM - 1779 vs 1829
70-200 VR FL vs GM - 2379 vs 2349.

5658 vs 6078
------
420 difference and that includes a latest release camera that offers IBIS, proper video, fast live view, better sensor, silent shutter, better battery life (real world), bigger buffer, faster FPS and better AF.

Ive had about 4-5 D750 cameras and praised them for years.

Last edited:

100% agree with this and pretty much everything you said in your post.

Interesting write up thanks. There's no doubt that the edge to edge AF is handy, and if you like it then eye AF too. I think the whole Sony A7iii vs D750 debate can run and run tbh, thank god we have a choice (y). Do you have a link to some of your stuff, I'm genuinely interested to see how you PP the Sony files (y)

The only edits I have done feature people in them that would kill me if I posted them. As soon as I integrate them into our wedding work, I'll definitely share some. I forgot to mention the compressed RAW thing. In the shooting I did I couldn't notice any difference when editing, but all it takes is for it to affect 1% of my work for it to be an annoyance. It really irks me that they don't have lossless compressed RAW.

I've tried to hard recreate the backlit problem that got some attention on forums and was a big concern for me, but I'm yet to see it in any of the images.

Last edited:
The only edits I have done feature people in them that would kill me if I posted them. As soon as I integrate them into our wedding work, I'll definitely share some. I forgot to mention the compressed RAW thing. In the shooting I did I couldn't notice any difference when editing, but all it takes is for it to affect 1% of my work for it to be an annoyance. It really irks me that they don't have lossless compressed RAW.

At least they have uncompressed now, when I started using Sony they only did compressed!

At least they have uncompressed now, when I started using Sony they only did compressed!
How big are the uncompressed A7iii files? The A7Riii ones were huge, like 90mb IIRC :eek: I'm assuming the A7iii ones are around 40-45mb which is not too bad.

How big are the uncompressed A7iii files? The A7Riii ones were huge, like 90mb IIRC :eek: I'm assuming the A7iii ones are around 40-45mb which is not too bad.

Yeah around 45-50mb, I think which isn't crazy but Nikon has had lossless compressed for years. And I know cards and HDs are relatively cheap these days, but it still irritates me. I can't imagine it's *that* hard to program.

D750 - 1500
A7iii - 1900

5658 vs 6078
I think you’re missing what (I think) is the point. With the Sony A7III if you want a 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 you have no alternative (okay there is now the Tamron alternative for the 24-70) than to buy the Sony lenses (or adapt Canon perhaps). If you buy a Nikon D750 you can buy numerous alternatives new or second hand.

It’s not that @Tom Green was “lucky” to get such a deal, that kind of deal (with second hand) is available to anyone with a little searching.

Yeah around 45-50mb, I think which isn't crazy but Nikon has had lossless compressed for years. And I know cards and HDs are relatively cheap these days, but it still irritates me. I can't imagine it's *that* hard to program.
Yeah I'm really glad Nikon have lossless compressed, my D850 files would be 92mb otherwise :eek:

So here we go…

Thanks for taking the time to write up Dec, you'll sure make better use of whatever tool you use than most. I can't help but think that Canikon will respond very soon with something that just has to be as good, much depends on that from their POV. If that's within 12 months, it may peeve a few that have made the switch, unless cost doesn't matter.

The LV AF, as we all know, is abysmal on the 750, but I am a stills snapper, so don't use it. Colour depth is an interesting point at high ISO, as is the flicker element, which can be a royal PITA in certain indoor venues.
The Nikon menu I too found dated, compared to Canon, but like many things, you get used to it.
I don't use FEL at all so that becoming BBF didn't bother me at the time.

I personally haven't anything for or against mirrorless per se, never used it, or brand for that matter. It's whatever gets the job done. I'm more realistic as to my own usage and subsequent costs :) (which was the whole point of going Nikon when I made the switch from Canon)

What difference in numbers, do you envisage on a 64gb card say, between the 12bit files of the 750 and the full file of the Sony? Will it affect you drastically during a wedding with too much swapping? in 12bit I generally get 1500+ on a 64gb.

The only other notable question is: has it changed the way you shoot? For shooting people, I can see a big benefit in not having your mush in the VF. I often compose, and remove said mush to engage, but there's times when you need to be careful with that and I see a benefit of a screen to glance at.

Last edited:

D750 - 1500
A7iii - 1900

5658 vs 6078
------
420 difference and that includes a latest release camera that offers IBIS, proper video, fast live view, better sensor, silent shutter, better battery life (real world), bigger buffer, faster FPS and better AF.

Ive had about 4-5 D750 cameras and praised them for years.

You like to put a downer on things don't you ;)

Sorry but that is a diabolical comparison. Technically the D750 is £1619 depending on where you look, it is also less than £1000 some places.

When you say 'isn't' as good, we are looking at tiny differences. Also, mine are Tamron not Nikon.

The major benefit is the used and third party market, it just isn't there yet for Sony - when it is, it will be much more attractive. If I was buying new, all UK stock then yeah, not really worth going for the D750. But realistically, very few people will be doing that.

I enjoy using my D750 more than I did mirrorless so I am happy with my choice for the time being.

I think you’re missing what (I think) is the point. With the Sony A7III if you want a 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 you have no alternative (okay there is now the Tamron alternative for the 24-70) than to buy the Sony lenses (or adapt Canon perhaps). If you buy a Nikon D750 you can buy numerous alternatives new or second hand.

It’s not that @Tom Green was “lucky” to get such a deal, that kind of deal (with second hand) is available to anyone with a little searching.

I understand the point, but its not quite an apples comparison when stating used lens prices that aren't (new) 1st party and it shows that buying the same equivalent gear for Sony is only a few more quid and IMO worth it when spending that kind of money and thats my point.

3rd party (the big ones) are only getting involved with Sony now, Tamrons first FE zoom lens is supposed to be very good and its only £650, Im sure the 70-200 will follow shortly, the ARTs are all coming with prices similar to Canikon mounts, I already have the 50 ART FE and it performs better on the A7iii than it ever did on my D750, wide open with a target moving towards me and eye AF or spot leads to a ridiculously hi hit rate.

Yes Nikon and Canon both have cheaper used lenses but we all know that, they've been around a lot longer and 3rd party were hesitant to design E mount lenses, that fact that they are designing for E mount now says a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to write up Dec, you'll sure make better use of whatever tool you use than most. I can't help but think that Canikon will respond very soon with something that just has to be as good, much depends on that from their POV. If that's within 12 months, it may peeve a few that have made the switch, unless cost doesn't matter.

The LV AF, as we all know, is abysmal on the 750, but I am a stills snapper, so don't use it. Colour depth is an interesting point at high ISO, as is the flicker element, which can be a royal PITA in certain indoor venues.

I personally haven't anything for or against mirrorless per se, never used it, or brand for that matter. It's whatever gets the job done. I'm more realistic as to my own usage and subsequent costs :) (which was the whole point of going Nikon when I made the switch from Canon)

What difference in numbers, do you envisage on a 64gb card say, between the 12bit files of the 750 and the full file of the Sony? Will it affect you drastically during a wedding with too much swapping? in 12bit I generally get 1500+ on a 64gb.

You should really try LV - it's great for stills. Some of my shots would've been impossible (or at least back-breaking) without it.

I shoot two bodies carrying 64gb cards so it's quite rare that I'd fill a card on the D750 during a wedding. The only times it has happened have been late in the evening and I just shoot out the rest of the wedding with one camera - I'm generally just using one lens at that stage anyway.

The compressed files of the Sony are slightly smaller than the majority of Lossless Nikon RAWs. I'll probably shoot compressed for the most part and only switch to uncompressed in some of the scenarios where compressed can apparently become a weakness.

The reason why I didn't wait for Nikon's mirrorless offering (which could well be much better) is that 1) I don't think it'll be cheaper than the Sony given the R&D costs involved, 2) it'll be a whole new mount so adapters will be needed and it'll be a while before we see many native lenses and 3) being a Nikon early adopter isn't much fun.

Last edited:
You like to put a downer on things don't you ;)

Sorry but that is a diabolical comparison. Technically the D750 is £1619 depending on where you look, it is also less than £1000 some places.

When you say 'isn't' as good, we are looking at tiny differences. Also, mine are Tamron not Nikon.

The major benefit is the used and third party market, it just isn't there yet for Sony - when it is, it will be much more attractive. If I was buying new, all UK stock then yeah, not really worth going for the D750. But realistically, very few people will be doing that.

I enjoy using my D750 more than I did mirrorless so I am happy with my choice for the time being.

How so? All the prices are on CPB and current so all are valid for the camera and the lenses I quoted. Its a like for like price comparison for everyone thats not in your position making your exact choice to make the Nikon look far better value, it shows the prices are very similar when making the same 1st party / quality choice as for the 3rd party used Ive already commented.

But if you're saying the Nikon is another 120 quid who am I to argue...... so the Sony gear is only 300 more.

@snerkler would vouch for my Nikon allegiance so I dont have anything against the brand or the D750 (my favourite cam of over 40 till I used the A73).

Last edited:

The Nikon menu I too found dated, compared to Canon, but like many things, you get used to it.
I don't use FEL at all so that becoming BBF didn't bother me at the time.

The only other notable question is: has it changed the way you shoot? For shooting people, I can see a big benefit in not having your mush in the VF. I often compose, and remove said mush to engage, but there's times when you need to be careful with that and I see a benefit of a screen to glance at.
I really hope Nikon get it right with the mirrorless camera. They need to nick all the many great things from the Sony, and improve on a few areas to really grab my interest. One big one I've mentioned already, it needs to be a bit bigger so I can fit my hand between the grip and lens comfortably. I've said this before as well, but if they could make an EM1 clone (in terms of design and ergonomics) it would be perfect imo.

I've not seen a lot of data regarding colour depth at varying ISO, but in terms of tonal range and colour sensitivity the difference between the A7iii and D750 is minimal through the ISO range. Does the D750 not have anti flicker mode? It's amazing how quickly you forget these things :oops: :$

Is there a reason you're shooting 12 bit rather than 14 bit on the D750?

@snerkler would vouch for my Nikon allegiance so I dont have anything against the brand or the D750 (my favourite cam of over 40 till I used the A73).
No idea what you're on about Sony fanboy ;) :p

You should really try LV - it's great for stills. Some of my shots would've been impossible (or at least back-breaking) without it.

I shoot two bodies carrying 64gb cards so it's quite rare that I'd fill a card on the D750 during a wedding. The only times it has happened have been late in the evening and I just shoot out the rest of the wedding with one camera - I'm generally just using one lens at that stage anyway.

The compressed files of the Sony are slightly smaller than the majority of Lossless Nikon RAWs. I'll probably shoot compressed for the most part and only switch to uncompressed in some of the scenarios where compressed can apparently become a weakness.

The reason why I didn't wait for Nikon's mirrorless offering (which could well be much better) is that 1) I don't think it'll be cheaper than the Sony given the R&D costs involved, 2) it'll be a whole new mount so adapters will be needed and it'll be a while before we see many native lenses and 3) being a Nikon early adopter isn't much fun.

I should have said, I do use LV for those tight squeezes when it's difficult to get to the VF but the AF is the bit you need to consider.

I get your third point, they haven't exactly covered themselves in glory with the most recent models.

Back