Nikon D750 & D780

Haha I'm out everyday getting to grips with the new lens mate. I'm meant for the older folk on here :D:D:D
Ah you see, still poking fun at the oldies like me. Anyway, min 30 degs here every day now for 3 months, me, finished work, shopping done, now, just topping up my tan, that's 5 days in a row now [emoji41] [emoji41] just waiting for some evening cloud so I can take the d750 out again.

Finally got around to sending the D750 in for the obligatory (for me) shutter replacement.

Impressive service from Nikon: sent Last Friday afternoon, notification receipt Tuesday, dispatched Thursday and received early afternoon today (Friday, if there is ever an archive of this mighty tome of a thread)! :woot:

ETA - No, they didn't reset the shutter count!

Last edited:
I had to send both of my D750's to Nikon as part of the recall and have received them now with a new shutter in each and a full service. So far, everything seems to be working fine.

Anybody recommend a nice comfy hand strap for the d750?
I have large glove size hands but I guess they are adjustable ( strap, not my hands!)
I will be using a 24-120 f4 and a 70-300

I have one, it's made from parachute cord, very strong, they do come in different sizes. The name evades me atm, something like, cordy cords, hand woven and imo they are quality.

Cordy classic looks interesting, thanks.

Last edited:
We got to see some of the tour de France on Thursday.
We were about 6km from the finish of Stage 6, I started to think standing on the far side of the bend seemed like a bad idea as I saw the speed they were travelling at......

TDF 2018.jpg

We got to see some of the tour de France on Thursday.
We were about 6km from the finish of Stage 6, I started to think standing on the far side of the bend seemed like a bad idea as I saw the speed they were travelling at......

View attachment 130410

Superb! And you got Avermaet perfectly.

Must do one of the stages myself sometime!

Last edited:
havent shared anything for a while, and I haven’t shared any of the paid stuff I do so here’s some shots from a recent wedding :)

Untitled by andyroberts1868, on Flickr

Great work Andy, I’ll have a proper look later!

Great work Andy, I’ll have a proper look later!

Thanks :D the blog isn’t live yet, need to get the rest of them on the website but thought I would share some this morning seeing as my daughter had me up at daft o’clock :LOL: I’ll post a link when it’s up!

Doesn’t look too shabby to me! Which model are you using?

Thanks man, lens is an old 50mm f1.8, non D version. Bought it cheap for my Daughters D70 and to use with Nikon film camera but needs must until I flog the rest of my Fuji stuff to re-invest.

Admittedly I’m only looking on a small screen but it seems to perform better than mine :) especially considering it’s wide open. I have to stop mine down to 2.8 most of the time to get something useable!

Re-edited some old Canon files tonight and I forget how spoilt we are with the 750, so much easier to work with!

Seems like Flikr is playing up again tonight, can't upload??!

Anyone shooting tethered?
I’m looking for live view so that a client can view product shots as we take them.
I would like to shoot raw, but I’m not sure this is possible with tethered.
Advice welcome.

All the time. I use SmartShooter (from KuvaCode) in conjunction with LR.

SmartShooter allows live view & full control - and lets you store images on both the card(s) and the PC.
I set LR to watch a folder & auto-import, and actually use LR rather than SmartShooter for previewing. It's a slower process but gives access to all the familiar tools.

havent shared anything for a while, and I haven’t shared any of the paid stuff I do so here’s some shots from a recent wedding :)

Love your work Andy - can you say what lens(es) you used here ?

Guys - does anyone know if you can only return the D750 for the shutter replacement if you are the original owner ?

Love your work Andy - can you say what lens(es) you used here ?

Thanks Mike, without looking them up on the PC I can’t tell you exactly for each. It’ll be a combination of Sigma 35 1.4, Nikon 85 1.4D and Nikon 24-70 2.8

I think it was as follows, but the 35 and 24-70 May cross over a little

1. 24-70
2. 35
3. 24-70
4. 85
5. 35
6. 35
7. 35
8. 24-70

Dumb question.

I'm borrowing another camera for a shoot tomorrow d7100 - i assume this is applicable to most of the upper end of the nikon range.

I have a 64gb card in slot one
I have a 32gb card in slot two

Camera is set to Raw slot 1, JPG slot 2

If i just have the 64gb card in it says 1.1k shots remaining. If i add the 32gb card to slot 2 it says ~520 shots remaining (i assume it always gives the lesser amount)

Question 1)
Are raw and jpg similiar file sizes

Question 2)
What happens if i run the shots remaining counter to 0. 32gb card will be full, but space left on the 64gb card - i assume it will just write to card slot 1 and let me shoot still?

Question 1 = No, RAW is larger

Question 2 = not certain, never reached that state. It has so many variables/imponderables. For a start, will it just carry on shooting RAW? I should imagine the 32 GB card will remain with spare capacity (the RAW will be more than double the JPG size)

Others may have more experience; mine is just based upon hypothesis (RAW is larger than JPG though for certain)

Back