Nikon D750 & D780

Very nice, Kev, although I think I would have gone for a letter box format for the second image - there's too much empty space above the car for my personal taste.

How odd, I would have thought that fitting a new shutter would lead to a zeroing of the accumulative number. I would be ringing Nikon service tomorrow to ask why it didn't.

I know that when they replaced the shutter in my D300 the activation count shown using Camera Shutter Count (https://www.camerashuttercount.com/) was restarted from zero. I never checked the D600 as I just assumed it would be zero'd.

Had to send my D750 in for a shutter replacement. Got it back yesterday. Interestingly, cumulative shutter count remains, but the shutter count recorded on an image on the card has been reset.
Very interesting - when I had my D750 done on the warranty recall a few years back, it reset everything to zero.

I have a Z6 now, but still miss the old D750 I had. In some ways I still hanker after a DSLR!

I have a D780 which I bought recently and use all the time, love it.

How does it differ? I doubt i'll upgrade anytime soon as I only had the shutter replaced 2 years ago

I have a Z6 now, but still miss the old D750 I had. In some ways I still hanker after a DSLR!

How are you finding it?

Oh yes. :D

View attachment 332817

I'm tempted by the liveview of the D780 which is supposed to be actually usable. Unlike the hit or miss liveview of my D750 - it's only flaw.

Yay, I'm not the only one. Phew

I had a Sony A7R3 and a set of Sony zooms. I bought a Nikon F4 as I quite fancied one to shoot film and loved the ergonomics and optical VF, I forgot how nice an optical VF is.
I ended up with a set of Nikon D series primes for the F4 and yearned for a DSLR that had similar ergonomics so bought the D780 (+ 24 -120) which of course uses the same lenses as the F4 and loved the D780 so sold all my Sony gear and have never looked back, I also have an F6 now which has very similar ergonomics to the D780.

I've still got mine and am loving it ... or I will do once it gets back from Nikon Service :)

I have a tip for owners - DON'T DROP IT ONTO TARMAC o_O Tarmac 1 - D750 0 - Nikon 130

As the D750 is currently indisposed I nipped out with my old D40 the other day and was amazed to get these:
D40 - DSC_8409.jpg
D40 - DSC_8415.jpg
Not bad for a measly 6MP :)

Last edited:
Had to send my D750 in for a shutter replacement. Got it back yesterday. Interestingly, cumulative shutter count remains, but the shutter count recorded on an image on the card has been reset.
I know this post was a few months ago but my D750 is in for a new shutter now it will be interesting to see the shutter count when I get it back. It was 182k when it went in.

My experience was that the individual image count got reset to 0 but the cumulative total was still there; new shutter, first image D75_0001; cumulative image total 67xxx. Is that understandable? (The shutter count on mine was well under 80k.)

Last edited:
One of my D750's needs a shutter, where is everyone having them replaced? I remember sending a D610 into Fixation, cost £345. Just had a quote from a local repairer for £250.

Last edited:
One of my D750's needs a shutter, where is everyone having them replaced? I remember sending a D610 into Fixation, cost £345. Just had a quote from a local repairer for £250.

We used to be able to take them to Richmond, BC (about an hour away by car) but Nikon closed that so now they have to be packed up and sent across the country to the greater Toronto area. It cost approximately $600 dollars (Canadian) to replace the shutter. Unfortunately, it wasn’t part of the recall.

Last edited:
I had a Sony A7R3 and a set of Sony zooms. I bought a Nikon F4 as I quite fancied one to shoot film and loved the ergonomics and optical VF, I forgot how nice an optical VF is.
I ended up with a set of Nikon D series primes for the F4 and yearned for a DSLR that had similar ergonomics so bought the D780 (+ 24 -120) which of course uses the same lenses as the F4 and loved the D780 so sold all my Sony gear and have never looked back, I also have an F6 now which has very similar ergonomics to the D780.

I am new to the D780. But I’m loving it. It’s similar to my D750, but better.

Got my D750 back with the new shutter and it’s still showing 182k

Good to see you got your D750 back. Mine went to Nikon on 29th September and I still don't have it yet, although it should be in transit as I paid the invoice on Thursday. Amazingly it's been gaining airmiles as they shipped it to the Czech republic to get it fixed! Why? Its not like it required anything special done to it.

Even getting almost £40 off the final bill doesn't make me feel any better (although the gesture is welcomed) but if I need it repaired again I will be looking at alternatives to Nikon's service department. When I come to replacing the D750 this experience may give me cause to look at other manufacturers too.

To say I'm unhappy is a bit of an understatement and my customer satisfaction survey will not be one they want to quote.

<RANT MODE ON>
Flippin' unbelievable! On Thursday of last week I paid the invoice for the repair of my D750 having been told that if the payment was received before 3pm the camera would be shipped out that day on a next day service. Nikon acknowledged receipt of my payment at 12:33 so I put my whole weekend on hold expecting it to arrive firstly on Friday and then Saturday and again Sunday. This morning I rang Nikon Service only to find out it's still at their UK repair facility "awaiting quality checks". We are now into the tenth week since they received the camera for repair.

The catalogue of misinformation (I am loathe to say lies) I have received during the time that Nikon have had my camera beggars belief and suggests to me that their customer service staff are in need of some serious retraining.

Nikon's performance with this repair has been woefully inadequate. I have been a Nikon devotee since 2008 but when the D750 comes up for replacement it will probably be with with a brand that doesn't begin with "N".

<RANT MODE OFF>

I've always received excellent service from Nikon Service UK in the past but this is getting beyond a joke. Four weeks ago I requested a loan camera as I had a couple of jobs coming up but they said no as mine wouldn't be much longer. Yesterday morning I informed them that I need a camera (preferably mine) for a shoot today and was promised they'd do whatever they could to assist. This morning I received an email offering me a loan unit which they would delivery tomorrow - 24 hours too late!

Fortunately, I've been borrowing a D800 from a friend of mine but in any case the weather today caused the shoot to be cancelled - apparently it was a tad too windy to be out on the nacelle of a wind turbine. Dunno about that but I could hardly stand up at the foot of the tower never mint 150m up in the air :) Hopefully we will get a nice still day when everyone else involved are available to get this job done.

Let's see what tomorrow brings :)

PS: Here's a quiz question for you. How many people does it take to get an ageing, overweight, part-time photographer to the top of a wind turbine (and back down again) in one piece? I'll give you a clue - it's less than ten.

Wow, mine was only gone a couple of weeks and that included having to travel across Canada two ways.
Yours probably travelled further than mine but didn't leave Canada or get tangled up in the EU/UK border fiasco.

The saga continues. This morning I emailed the MD of Nikon UK to vent my spleen and a little while later got a phone call from service agent with a new tale of woe. The camera has failed their in-house quality inspection and has to go back to the workshop in the Czech Republic for remedial work. It appears it wasn't cleaned properly! I mean, is there no-one at Nikon here in the UK that is capable of cleaning a camera? Of course they're simply following the procedures laid down in their ISO9001 (or whatever) manual ... at the expense of common sense and expediency. So, I'm looking at another 2 - 3 weeks before I get it back.

On the plus side they delivered a loan camera to me this morning and they are refunding the money I paid last week.

I think I may win this thread.... Nikon 70-200 FL-E received by Nikon for repair 16th June..... returned 25th November :ROFLMAO::nikon: they cited part availability (lens mount) from Japan as causing the delay..... still these things happen. In all fairness though, Maya in their CS team has and continues to be excellent.
Okay, you win - or at least I hope you do :)

I don't want to mention any names but one of my gripes is that no-one sent an email or picked up a phone to explain what was going on.

The saga continues. This morning I emailed the MD of Nikon UK to vent my spleen and a little while later got a phone call from service agent with a new tale of woe. The camera has failed their in-house quality inspection and has to go back to the workshop in the Czech Republic for remedial work. It appears it wasn't cleaned properly! I mean, is there no-one at Nikon here in the UK that is capable of cleaning a camera? Of course they're simply following the procedures laid down in their ISO9001 (or whatever) manual ... at the expense of common sense and expediency. So, I'm looking at another 2 - 3 weeks before I get it back.

On the plus side they delivered a loan camera to me this morning and they are refunding the money I paid last week.
Ouch, that sucks. I am surprised to hear it has to be shipped out the country for that work. The money it must be costing Nikon is insane! Glad you got a loaner

Yep, the costs must be mounting up. True to her word though, the service manager emailed me this morning to say that my camera is now back at their Czech repair centre where it will be given the highest priority. Fingers crossed they don't cut any corners and it'll be back next week sometime.

I received an update today. The camera has been "fixed" and is on its way back to the UK. As we may be away from home over the Christmas period (or may not) I've arranged that Nikon will hold onto it until the New Year.

I had a fault with a D700 a while back where the power button was sticky and seemed to be getting worse and I was concerned it might stop the camera powering on I sent it for repair under warranty. Nikon had it a long time before deciding it was water damage and therefore not a warranty repair so wanted to charge me £70 even though the camera was in immaculate condition and hadn't been anywhere near liquid. I needed the camera back so I gave in and paid it but when it was returned it was fixed and they'd damaged another button (thankfully not one I used often). I was furious with them about it given the mess they'd made of it but as I'd been without the camera for 15 weeks by that point I had to give in and make do.

I bought the D750 at a low enough price if I had problems with it I'd have to consider getting another but thankfully it's behaved fine so far.

I dug the D750 back out recently to use the flash as I don't have one for my Sony cameras, what amused me was I don't think I've used the camera in around 18 months but it powered up fine and had enough battery capacity to run off a good number of shots. I always think I need to put more effort in with the flash as this time I have a new puppy and with not much outdoor light this time of year the flash has been fantastic for producing crisp, sharp photos.

Last edited:
The saga is finally concluded :)

My D750 arrived back from Nikon Service today and first tests shows a definite improvement in focus accuracy and reliability, so I am a happy bunny again (y)

Gotta say though, I'm not sure Nikon will be my first port of call for repairs in the event anything else goes wrong.

Back