Nikon D750 & D780

Yeah, why would you sell a grey d750 to lose money on and then buy the kit when you can get the lens for 400 quid. Even if you got a grand for it it wouldn't make sense.

a6000 and 1650 is very good as an out and about at only 429.

Last edited:
It's not the lightest, but very versatile. I am selling mine purely due to preferring primes and the shallow DOF. I bought mine for travel and it served well.

What lenses do you currently have?

I have an old Sigma 28-70 f2.8 - f4, Sigma 70-300 APO and Nikon 50mm 1.8g. I sold my Nikon 300mm f4 prime as it was too heavy for me.

How about the 24-85mm VR, great lens, super sharp, reviews say sharper wide open than the 24-120mm, i keep thinking about a 24-120 myself for the extra reach but £250 used for the 24-85mm made it a no brainer, most reviews when testing both side by side say the only real benefit of the 24-120mm is the extra reach

Hadn't thought about the 24-85 VR Gary, I trust your judgement so will look further into the lens. I was thinking the extra @ 120mm would be useful

Can I get this straight you're wanting to sell your D750 to buy another D750 with 24-120mm? Are you sure you're not going to lose out, maybe it's worth looking at a used 24-120mm? What would you get for the D750 2nd hand, £1200-1300? The D750 with 24-120mm is £2300 meaning it'd cost you £1000-1100 to swap. Why not just buy a 2nd hand 24-120mm f4 for £550 and save yourself £500? The 24-120mm with D750 isn't the lightest combo either, so if you're looking at swapping because of your hand I'd say this isn't the best option, and a CSC might be a better choice altogether rather than having it as a second system? Alternatively why not look at a cheaper CSC like the A6000?

Like most on here I bought from Panamoz, so it works out cheaper to buy the kit as new from them. I won't be loosing much money.

Wow thanks for your quick replies.

My heaviest lens now is the Sigma 70 -300 APO which is 550gms.

I have looked at the lenses mentioned here for weight using Wex specs and this is the following weights from there website.

Nikon 24-120 710gms
Nikon 24-85 465gms
Tamron 24-70 825gms

I can just about manage the Sigma I have now but it lacks VR, it's 550gms so is lighter than the 24-120 by 160gms. My initial plan was to buy a longer lens which would be mounted on a Tripod for home use and then buy a Fuji XT1 and 35mm lens for going out. Funds wont allow me to buy the Fuji this year so need the D750 to work a little better for me.

The reason I asked about using one handed was due to the problems I have with my arm and shoulder now, but it looks as if I need a operation on my nerves in my elbow on this arm.

Yeah, why would you sell a grey d750 to lose money on and then buy the kit when you can get the lens for 400 quid. Even if you got a grand for it it wouldn't make sense.

a6000 and 1650 is very good as an out and about at only 429.

To what I have now it will cost me £130.00 to swap to a new D750 and the F4 lens. If I sold the lens on I would be up on my money, if it wasn't suitable.

Hadn't thought about the 24-85 VR Gary, I trust your judgement so will look further into the lens. I was thinking the extra @ 120mm would be useful

the extra reach is nice but for you personally is it worth the extra weight, the d750 and 24-85mm are definatley holdable and useable with one hand, the balance is absolutly perfect as well.

To what I have now it will cost me £130.00 to swap to a new D750 and the F4 lens. If I sold the lens on I would be up on my money, if it wasn't suitable.

It will cost you 130 how? Your grey d750 can't be worth more than 1k, that's still a remaining 360 quid to add and the 200ish loss on your d750 on what you paid. So 560 down.

Last edited:
It will cost you 130 how? Your grey d750 can't be worth more than 1k, that's still a remaining 360 quid to add and the 200ish loss on your d750 on what you paid. So 560 down.

Trust me Twist I know what I'm doing. I dont sell on here as theres other buyers out there where you can make more money. As you know, I have had a bit of Fuji gear and sold elsewhere, where on here people were doing fire sales and I was getting a bit more for my gear. There's other places to here and ebay!

If you want the fine details I will PM you in the morning. Food is ready.

Trust me Twist I know what I'm doing. I dont sell on here as theres other buyers out there where you can make more money. As you know, I have had a bit of Fuji gear and sold elsewhere, where on here people were doing fire sales and I was getting a bit more for my gear. There's other places to here and ebay!

Yeah I know what you mean. Enjoy dinner.

Not really an issue with the ISO capabilities of the D750 and dont forget the 24-85mm is f/3.5 at the shorter end, swings and roundabouts.
I was more referring to DOF. The 24-85mm stops down pretty quickly and a stop difference at 85mm can make quite a difference in DOF, let alone f4 at 120mm.

As Gary says the 24-85 is an option, much lighter and optically really good. If the D750 is UK stock then £1200-£1300 and then a new D750 & 24-120 from Panamoz is £1363 via Bank Transfer so a good swap!
But that's swapping UK for grey and grey will lose more.

Edit, ignore just seen he has grey.

Last edited:

You must know some real muppets if they're willing to pay more than £1k for grey :eek:

You must know some real muppets if they're willing to pay more than £1k for grey :eek:
Who says he told them it was a grey, if i sold mine on Ebay i wouldnt mention it was grey, why would i, its a secondhand camera and as such it makes zero difference where it came from, (they all came off the exact same production line) theres no warranty with Nikon on used equipment either way

I cant see any of the dealers selling D750's telling their customers theyre selling grey cameras

Of course if asked i would tell them if they asked

Last edited:
Who says he told them it was a grey, if i sold mine on Ebay i wouldnt mention it was grey, why would i, its a secondhand camera and as such it makes zero difference where it came from, (they all came off the exact same production line) theres no warranty with Nikon on used equipment either way

I cant see any of the dealers selling D750's telling their customers theyre selling grey cameras

Of course if asked i would tell them if they asked
I feared as much :(

Another vote here for the 24-85 VR as a companion to the D750. I have a 24-70/f2.8 too and use the cheapo lens far more owing to weight and bulk.

Before you insult people perhaps you should go back and see what I have written. Read slowly and it may help you digest the posts.

In particular this part of my original post "I'm thinking of selling my current D750 body and some lenses and re-buying with this lens" In case you feel I have altered my original post (3672) you will see the above written when Chris quoted me in the following post (3673).

Also, I have informed the purchaser my camera is Grey.

Last edited:
Before you insult people perhaps you should go back and see what I have written. Read slowly and it may help you digest the posts.

In particular this part of my original post "I'm thinking of selling my current D750 body and some lenses and re-buying with this lens" In case you feel I have altered my original post (3672) you will see the above written when Chris quoted me in the following post (3673).

Lol, in my neck of the woods that's a light hearted comment, but it's not the first time my comments have been misinterpreted ;) And yes I read about selling other lenses, but when working out cost effectiveness you need to way up the cost of selling your D750 only. If selling your D750 and buying a new one with lens works out better than buying a 2nd hand 24-110mm then fair enough. I understand you will then offset some of this cost by selling your other lenses.

Lol, in my neck of the woods that's a light hearted comment, but it's not the first time my comments have been misinterpreted ;) And yes I read about selling other lenses, but when working out cost effectiveness you need to way up the cost of selling your D750 only. If selling your D750 and buying a new one with lens works out better than buying a 2nd hand 24-110mm then fair enough. I understand you will then offset some of this cost by selling your other lenses.
Your comments probably get misinterpreted because of things like ive highlighted in the quoted text, that and the fact you don't actually take time to read other posts properly.

Your comments probably get misinterpreted because of things like ive highlighted in the quoted text, that and the fact you don't actually take time to read other posts properly.
What have I misread, it's a simple typo on my behalf?

Anyway, my post wasn't meant to cause offence so apologies if it has.

Last edited:

Hi Swansea - just a bit confused about why you would sell the d750 + lenses to buy another d750 + lens . Whay not keep your d750 , sell spare lenses and purchase the new lens you require . What have I missed here ? Is your 750 causing a problem or ?

Mike

Hi Swansea - just a bit confused about why you would sell the d750 + lenses to buy another d750 + lens . Whay not keep your d750 , sell spare lenses and purchase the new lens you require . What have I missed here ? Is your 750 causing a problem or ?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have disabilities along with arm and hand problems, so my thinking was, the lens with VR will help me. Plus I want to spend some more time taking some landscapes/seascapes type photos, 24mm will be wide enough for me.. I have the 50mm prime and it doesnt feel right for me on the body and I don't do low light photography so don't need the fast lenses. The 24-85/120 lens and a 150-600mm lens for home use and I will be set up with Nikon. As a lightweight setup I will buy a Fuji XT1 again, I was hoping for this year but finances won't allow, so I need the Nikon to work a little better for me now, hence the initial question on the lens.

For me, the deal works out better selling what I got and buying the kit again and to be honest I dont like buying secondhand.. If it doesn't work out I will look at my options again.

@snerkler no problems mate.

Again, thanks for all your help and advice guys, so moving on.........................

Last edited:
More and more convinced I now have a backfocus issue after getting the flare issue fixed. Payday today, so picked up the Sigma 24mm Art to complete my range of primes, and yep, +20 AF finetune needed..

More and more convinced I now have a backfocus issue after getting the flare issue fixed. Payday today, so picked up the Sigma 24mm Art to complete my range of primes, and yep, +20 AF finetune needed..

Myself and Declan Gallen had the same problem. Mine wasn't fixable, even by Nikon, it came back as bad as it went !

Myself and Declan Gallen had the same problem. Mine wasn't fixable, even by Nikon, it came back as bad as it went !

I've got 4 weddings in july! So just going to have to wait until August to try and sort it.

Talking to the place I bought it from as well

I've shot a couple of cycling events this past week and I'm getting a much lower hit rate than before using AF-C. Not sure if it's just down to the light, the new UV filter or since getting it back from having the flare issue fixed. I'm paranoid it's the latter :(

I've shot a couple of cycling events this past week and I'm getting a much lower hit rate than before using AF-C. Not sure if it's just down to the light, the new UV filter or since getting it back from having the flare issue fixed. I'm paranoid it's the latter :(

Mine's really obvious on the 58mm and 24mm, at AF set to 0, the focus point is a good 6" infront of the actual target!

Mine's really obvious on the 58mm and 24mm, at AF set to 0, the focus point is a good 6" infront of the actual target!

Before I sent mine in it was perfect apart from them saying it was part of the flaring issue batch. I'm not surprised the AF is affected as they move the module

Before I sent mine in it was perfect apart from them saying it was part of the flaring issue batch. I'm not surprised the AF is affected as they move the module

Same, I hadn't seen the flaring, I just thought I better get it fixed just in case. Wish I hadn't bothered!

Both mine were fixed after 'fixing' the flare issue. One of my bodies was so bad that I couldn't use anything above 85mm for any type of confident focussing. I borrowed a known good 70-200 for a wedding and didn't use it because the focussing was so bad!

What was frustrating me was everyone one here going on about how damn good their D750 focussed! I was going to sell and go back to canon.

Both mine were fixed after 'fixing' the flare issue. One of my bodies was so bad that I couldn't use anything above 85mm for any type of confident focussing. I borrowed a known good 70-200 for a wedding and didn't use it because the focussing was so bad!

What was frustrating me was everyone one here going on about how damn good their D750 focussed! I was going to sell and go back to canon.

The retailer I got it from is going to send me a rental out and deal with getting the AF on mine sorted with Nikon! Top service!

Did Nikon fix them both?

Im amazed how good the group AF mode is for fast action and BIF. AF is almost instant with the Nikkor 80-400 vr2 even in poor light and tracking is excellent.

Im amazed how good the group AF mode is for fast action and BIF. AF is almost instant with the Nikkor 80-400 vr2 even in poor light and tracking is excellent.
I've not tried this, might give it a go next time.

I assume you're not going to settle for that? If they can't fix it the least they should do is replace it IMO.

Did you mean front focus ? + 20 would indicate quite a bit of FRONT not back focus.

Is the focus problem just on the ones people have sent to Nikon for the flare issue, or is it on the later models, I am about to buy one within 2 weeks, so just checking

Back