Nikon D750 & D780

Is the focus problem just on the ones people have sent to Nikon for the flare issue, or is it on the later models, I am about to buy one within 2 weeks, so just checking

Mine is a later one, bought a few weeks after the flare issue was acknowledged by Nikon and they had started fixing the affected ones, and it has been perfect.

Courier that Calumet sent turned up first thing this morning, took my D750 off me and handed me another to borrow while they deal with Nikon for me :)

I've no confidence in Nikon fixing AF issues to be honest. If I was you mate I'd be asking for a new one.

I've no confidence in Nikon fixing AF issues to be honest. If I was you mate I'd be asking for a new one.

I will if they can't fix it, but I'm happy with how they're trying to resolve it. If it comes back from Nikon sorted, then I'll be happy. The lenses that are on +20 are *almost* there, like if it went as far as +22 it'd probably be spot on and others do seem to have had successful fixes.

I've saved images at +0 and +20, and will run the same tests when I get it back to compare.

Im amazed how good the group AF mode is for fast action and BIF. AF is almost instant with the Nikkor 80-400 vr2 even in poor light and tracking is excellent.
Please don't tell me that, I was thinking of renting one for a few days on skomer this weekend. It would have been some much lighter than my 200-400 and it's something I've thought about changing to just for the weight saving especially if the 80-400 is nearly as good as the 200-400 barring the one stop light loss.

Having said that, i was trying it the other day with a 1.4 TC. lets just say I wont be doing it again.
I will wait until I eventually get my long awaited 300 f4..........

My D750 arrived on Thursday. Very first impressions were:

1. Superb AF. Just superb.
2. Articulated screen. Great.
3. LCD screen. Much, much better.
4. The grip. It fits like it is stuck to your hand and will never fall out. Excellent.
5. Changing settings. I think it's more intuitive and quicker to change and customise settings such as WB.

My first impressions are that it is a very, very good camera (though I doubt that's of much surprise to readers).

My D750 arrived on Thursday. Very first impressions were:

1. Superb AF. Just superb.
2. Articulated screen. Great.
3. LCD screen. Much, much better.
4. The grip. It fits like it is stuck to your hand and will never fall out. Excellent.
5. Changing settings. I think it's more intuitive and quicker to change and customise settings such as WB.

My first impressions are that it is a very, very good camera (though I doubt that's of much surprise to readers).
Sounds great, off to skomer today for a few days, I'm going to give the d750 a good test ;) I've also got the d800 with me so it will be good to compare the performance, especially in low light.

Sounds great, off to skomer today for a few days, I'm going to give the d750 a good test ;) I've also got the d800 with me so it will be good to compare the performance, especially in low light.

I was there last Saturday Rob... I had the 16-35mm on my D750 while I was up on the Wick. It was really funny to watch the puffins almost crawl into the front of the lens. :)

The 70-200mm f/2.8 worked well too but I could have done with more reach. Fortunately, I had the D7200 with me as well.

Ooops!!... you didn't damage the camera did you?.
Touch wood all seems well with body and lens. (Hope that's not famous last words...)

I've dropped other cameras in my time, and one rolled out of the tailgate of my car, another off its roof. Thankfully both in bags at the time. I've had a tripod fall forward sending the lens into mud. Another camera fell onto a slate hearth smashing the UV filter (which I fit for reasons that will now be obvious :D).

I'm just careless.:(

Thankfully cameras are more robust that people imagine.

anyone noticed any "blue casts" to their images whilst using Auto 1 WB
Nope, but I believe Auto 1 is cooler than auto 2 as auto 2 'retains' the warmer tones. I prefer auto 1 though. You can manually alter each to your tastes though so if it's too cool you can fine tune it.

I noticed a magenta cast, then checked Lightroom which wasn't importing the profile I'd set in camera. Changing that and all was good.

It's Canon users who think Nikon files look blue. I've had it from a mate of mine in the past. Drove me mad trying to fix it. Then I decided that's just the way things are and stopped fretting.

And their files are way to warm.
Completely agree. Some people prefer this but to me it's not as natural. I prefer mine to look as natural as possible/how I remember them.

I will be interested to hear your thoughts. The focus surprised me first. A few times my D800 would go focus hunting and I blamed the fact I had a teleconverter on the lens. Not so with the D750. The autofocus was fast.

Have a great time with both cameras!

Is anyone using the Sigma 24mm Art? - I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks and wouldn't mind a good quality wide prime to take with me, looking at picking up the 18-35 for Ultra Wide but love the look of the 24mm Siggy!

I wouldn't discount the Nikon 24mm. There's a lot of hype going around about the Art range.

I wouldn't discount the Nikon 24mm. There's a lot of hype going around about the Art range.

I refuse to pay the premium for the Nikon 24mm f1.4 over the Sigma - even comparing new Sigma v used Nikon theres still £300-£400 in it!

Back