Nikon D750 & D780

Is anyone using the Sigma 24mm Art? - I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks and wouldn't mind a good quality wide prime to take with me, looking at picking up the 18-35 for Ultra Wide but love the look of the 24mm Siggy!

Yes, and I love it!

Although, it seems off a little at infinity, borrowing a friends USB Dock will fix that though.

For anyone after a well priced ultrawide lens the Tokina 16-28 2.8 is absolutely incredible value for money. Stellar performance and much much better optically than the 16-35 and 17-35 nikon lenses I owned !

Decigallen mate - STUNNING

Some more avec the glorious 58mm

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-22-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-87-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-129-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-162-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-170-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-195-of-197.jpg

What your pictures don't show about this lens, is the level of contrast it produces! Where I'd normally be adding a bit of contrast with the tone curve in lightroom, I'm finding the images from the 58mm lens I'm more often than not just leaving the tone curve alone as the images have loads of contrast already.

And now it's on a body that actually focuses properly, it's even better :)

I started out shooting bands and don't really do it anymore... the D750 is a dream for shooting bands. The low-light ability, the highlight centred metering... it's perfect.

Best+Wedding+Bands+and+entertainment+Northern+Ireland+013.JPG

Best+Wedding+Bands+and+entertainment+Northern+Ireland+019.JPG

Best+Wedding+Bands+and+entertainment+Northern+Ireland+012.JPG

2 is bloody brilliant, love using highlight metering and pushing in post.

I started out shooting bands and don't really do it anymore... the D750 is a dream for shooting bands. The low-light ability, the highlight centred metering... it's perfect.

Best+Wedding+Bands+and+entertainment+Northern+Ireland+013.JPG

Best+Wedding+Bands+and+entertainment+Northern+Ireland+019.JPG

Best+Wedding+Bands+and+entertainment+Northern+Ireland+012.JPG
Wow, amazing pics

For anyone after a well priced ultrawide lens the Tokina 16-28 2.8 is absolutely incredible value for money. Stellar performance and much much better optically than the 16-35 and 17-35 nikon lenses I owned !
That's interesting. I've got the 16-35 but have not tried it yet. I was never that wowed by it before. Will check out the Tokina.

Picked up a Nikon battery grip for the D750 (MB-D16). I bought it to add some heft to what feels in hand like a smallish camera to me. It certainly adds heft but it does not feel as good in holding position as the camera sans grip. Just an observation incase anyone else is considering the battery grip option.

Picked up a Nikon battery grip for the D750 (MB-D16). I bought it to add some heft to what feels in hand like a smallish camera to me. It certainly adds heft but it does not feel as good in holding position as the camera sans grip. Just an observation incase anyone else is considering the battery grip option.
I tried a 3rd party grip and the grip feels like a brick in comparison, not comfortable to hold and very much like older Nikon bodies I tried. Apparently the 3rd party grip feels the same as the Nikon one in this regard.

I'm so glad Nikon changed the grip on the D750 as it was partly this this that prevented me from buying Nikon in the past.

Just been chasing Nikon for the repair estimate, was sent over a week ago now and confirmation was yesterday latest. They seem a bit overwhelmed at the moment so properly gutted that it looks like it's going to take some time to get my body back. Might not have it back in time for holiday.....:(

Has anyone had an issue with dust spots on a new D750?

I've just noticed after a trip to the Lake District (shooting lots of landscapes so small apertures and lots of sky) that there appear to be a lot of dust marks - I bought the camera new from Panamoz and it has had < 2k shots put on it. Changed the lens once, maybe twice, since I bought it and am always very careful about how I do that.

I previously owned a Canon 550d for about 4 years and never had to clean the sensor, and that was never as bad!

I had read something online about a break in period of some cameras where it can throw dust around the internals etc and wondered if it may be that.

Has anyone had an issue with dust spots on a new D750?

I've just noticed after a trip to the Lake District (shooting lots of landscapes so small apertures and lots of sky) that there appear to be a lot of dust marks - I bought the camera new from Panamoz and it has had < 2k shots put on it. Changed the lens once, maybe twice, since I bought it and am always very careful about how I do that.

I previously owned a Canon 550d for about 4 years and never had to clean the sensor, and that was never as bad!

I had read something online about a break in period of some cameras where it can throw dust around the internals etc and wondered if it may be that.

You need to check if its DUST or OIL.

Yes, I had this within the first few weeks. Bought from Panomoz as well. Kind advice from here sorted it. All good now

You need to check if its DUST or OIL.

What's the best way to do that?

Yes, I had this within the first few weeks. Bought from Panomoz as well. Kind advice from here sorted it. All good now

Any chance you could point me towards the advice or let me know what you did?

I thought if it was just a break in period I would live with it a bit longer to make sure no more dust is thrown around in there, and then have the sensor cleaned and that should be it.

I thought if it was just a break in period I would live with it a bit longer to make sure no more dust is thrown around in there, and then have the sensor cleaned and that should be it.

Dust blows off, oil doesnt it smeers. Also take a shot at F16 of the sky and go 1:1, oil is usually a halo, dust a solid black dot.

As above, although I don't tend to view at 1:1 just full screen should be enough. Lightroom also has a feature for checking for dust spots I believe. You can just take a photo of a white wall or white piece of paper, basically anything light and uniform that fills the frame.

I will be interested to hear your thoughts. The focus surprised me first. A few times my D800 would go focus hunting and I blamed the fact I had a teleconverter on the lens. Not so with the D750. The autofocus was fast.

Have a great time with both cameras!

Just back from Skomer, I used the D750 most of the time apart from around 30 minutes. Have to say it worked well, focus seemed fast and accurate, I used the 70-200mm f4 most of the time, it looks like a good lightweight combination. FPS was good, I noticed I was firing off more images in one go compared to the D800, it wasn't bad as it turns out Puffins do blink a lot and you need to fire 2-3 frames to ensure at least one has a good eye. I've yet to view the images on the computer as I need to upgrade to Lightroom 6 but they looked good on the back of the camera.

Just back from Skomer, I used the D750 most of the time apart from around 30 minutes. Have to say it worked well, focus seemed fast and accurate, I used the 70-200mm f4 most of the time, it looks like a good lightweight combination. FPS was good, I noticed I was firing off more images in one go compared to the D800, it wasn't bad as it turns out Puffins do blink a lot and you need to fire 2-3 frames to ensure at least one has a good eye. I've yet to view the images on the computer as I need to upgrade to Lightroom 6 but they looked good on the back of the camera.
Hope you had a good time in Skomer.

I have been wondering what you would think in a real world comparison between the two. For shooting wildlife I've not picked up my D800 again since the first time I used the D750 with that snappy autofocus. I find that the D800 can go hunting sometimes.

I really love the D750. Might be 10% new toy syndrome but I think it is a game changer for Nikon, especially with regards to the video quality and in-video features like live aperture & exposure.

Right now Rob, if you had to pick one camera to keep and the other would be sold, never to return, which would you keep; D800 or D750?

Thanks for the info guys regarding sensor cleaning etc. Had a look in lightroom and compared before and after using a rocket blower. Marginally better after, but just moved some of it around - will need a clean for sure. A little wary of doing it myself but need to learn how to do it so will probably buy the kit you recommended skiking.

Thanks for the info guys regarding sensor cleaning etc. Had a look in lightroom and compared before and after using a rocket blower. Marginally better after, but just moved some of it around - will need a clean for sure. A little wary of doing it myself but need to learn how to do it so will probably buy the kit you recommended skiking.
Did you make sure that the camera was pointing down blowing air up into the camera therefore allowing the dust to drop out? If not you're more than likely just going to blow it around.

I've never used the swabs, I tend to use the sensorklear pen followed by a good blow with the rocket blower as the pen leaves debris behind (which easily blows off)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenspen-Sen...F8&qid=1435692922&sr=8-2&keywords=sensorklear

Yes, and I love it!

Although, it seems off a little at infinity, borrowing a friends USB Dock will fix that though.

Cheers Andy, I'm waiting to find out about a new job this week ahead of leaving for my holidays next Friday.... if I get it then I can see this getting ordered!

Hope you had a good time in Skomer.

I have been wondering what you would think in a real world comparison between the two. For shooting wildlife I've not picked up my D800 again since the first time I used the D750 with that snappy autofocus. I find that the D800 can go hunting sometimes.

I really love the D750. Might be 10% new toy syndrome but I think it is a game changer for Nikon, especially with regards to the video quality and in-video features like live aperture & exposure.

Right now Rob, if you had to pick one camera to keep and the other would be sold, never to return, which would you keep; D800 or D750?

The D800 is a great camera. The d750 and d800 are both good just better at different things. AF accuracy/speed and FPS is useful for wildlife. Two of my friends use the d800 and get great images so if it's used within its capabilities it produces stunning images.

To answer your question, Im going to be selling my D800 in the next few weeks, I can't justify keeping both. The d750 fits in with my style of wildlife photography better than the d800. That said the d800 is great too, just it's slightly different to the d750 and it depends on individuals needs.

Cheers Andy, I'm waiting to find out about a new job this week ahead of leaving for my holidays next Friday.... if I get it then I can see this getting ordered!

I haven't used it in anger yet, but even at 1.4 it is incredibly sharp. Took a few shots at a kids birthday party with it, although my 4yo's face right in front of the camera isn't exactly what it's designed for, it showed off just how sharp it was, haha

I haven't used it in anger yet, but even at 1.4 it is incredibly sharp. Took a few shots at a kids birthday party with it, although my 4yo's face right in front of the camera isn't exactly what it's designed for, it showed off just how sharp it was, haha

Haha, well I got my new job so the purse strings for the holiday will be slightly loosened! Not sure whether to chop in my Tamron 24-70 though and buy the Sigma pair (24/35) or just take the Tamron and buy an 18-35 or 20mm for wide... decisions decisions!

am I the only one using the gel stick - works a treat
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fetJfPILU3o

Another vote for the eyelead gel stick. Been using it this past year and it does a better job than calumet have done for me for paid sensor cleaning. It's the most cost effective (and just plain effective) way of sensor cleaning that I've found. Total revelation.

I've still not gone through a full pack of 'cleaning sheets' in over a year of keeping 4-5 cameras clean. Only £33 on amazon.

Another vote for the eyelead gel stick. Been using it this past year and it does a better job than calumet have done for me for paid sensor cleaning. It's the most cost effective (and just plain effective) way of sensor cleaning that I've found. Total revelation.

I've still not gone through a full pack of 'cleaning sheets' in over a year of keeping 4-5 cameras clean. Only £33 on amazon.

I've cleaned my sensor quite a few times with the swabs. You rate these highly then deci?

Oh boy, just got my repair estimate back.......£284, ouch!! Might look at claiming that against house insurance after all. I must say though that it really didn't seem much of a knock at all but clearly done quite a bit of damage.

The D800 is a great camera. The d750 and d800 are both good just better at different things. AF accuracy/speed and FPS is useful for wildlife. Two of my friends use the d800 and get great images so if it's used within its capabilities it produces stunning images.

To answer your question, Im going to be selling my D800 in the next few weeks, I can't justify keeping both. The d750 fits in with my style of wildlife photography better than the d800. That said the d800 is great too, just it's slightly different to the d750 and it depends on individuals needs.

Don't think I could have put it better myself.

The D800 does score a major plus as it just feels great in your hand.

Think I may well sell my D800 too and put it towards a Sigma 150-600 or Tamron 150-600. That's another decision for another time though.

Don't think I could have put it better myself.

The D800 does score a major plus as it just feels great in your hand.

Think I may well sell my D800 too and put it towards a Sigma 150-600 or Tamron 150-600. That's another decision for another time though.

If you think the D800 is comfortable, you should try the D810. It has an extended grip like the D750.

Back