Nikon D750 & D780

I was really just interested in how it performs?
Very well imo. AF is pretty fast and accurate, image quality is very good and it's pretty light. The only reason that I sold it is because I bought the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII which is significantly better in every department and after using that the 70-300mm didn't cut it for me anymore ;)

Very well imo. AF is pretty fast and accurate, image quality is very good and it's pretty light. The only reason that I sold it is because I bought the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII which is significantly better in every department and after using that the 70-300mm didn't cut it for me anymore ;)

Thanks mate, just looking for something cheapish, this and the Tamron 70-300 seem to be similarly rated!

Just picked up the 35mm F1.8 FX to go with my 50 and 85. Looking forward to using it at a wedding that I am a guest at in a few weeks. So far quite impressed and makes for a light combo with the D750.

Looking for a travel bag that will take the D750, 35 and 85, as small as possible. Any suggestions? The Lowepro even messenger 100 or 150 seem like reasonable bags?

Just picked up the 35mm F1.8 FX to go with my 50 and 85. Looking forward to using it at a wedding that I am a guest at in a few weeks. So far quite impressed and makes for a light combo with the D750.

Looking for a travel bag that will take the D750, 35 and 85, as small as possible. Any suggestions? The Lowepro even messenger 100 or 150 seem like reasonable bags?

I have the 100 its way to small, look at the Nova 180 AW. Mine takes a D750 with 35 ART, 50 and a flashgun.

Thanks mate, just looking for something cheapish, this and the Tamron 70-300 seem to be similarly rated!
Not used the Tammy so can't comment on comparisons, but here's some of my examples taken with the 70-300mm. Not my finest examples of work, but should give you some idea.

All this album were taken with the 70-300mm IIRC. The big cats were all heavy crops, one is a 1:1 crop. https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/sets/72157650465490632
All of these barring the close ups at the start were with the 70-300mm, light was very poor. https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/sets/72157647431552633
And the second half of this album (see EXIF) were with the 70-300mm, again light wasn't sparkling. https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/sets/72157652006757936

Compare with the 70-200mm and you'll see why I stopped using the 70-300mm ;) https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/sets/72157652539781944

Last edited:
I just don't have the need for f2.8 or I'd consider the weight and size of one!
Sorry I wasn't trying to deter you from the 70-300mm, just explaining why I got rid of it ;) :p Don't forget it's not just about aperture though, it's the contrast, colours, pop etc. But if you just want a general lightweight tele with good IQ then you can't go wrong with the 70-300mm IMO

My D750 arrived yesterday, and in the limited time I've had with it I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Body wise I wasn't sure I'd warm to it, especially after using a D700 at home and a D810 in work, but you know what, I feel much more comfortable with it than I thought I would. Its not as small as some would have you believe, the controls are reassuringly Nikony, and the grip is actually fantastic. Yes put beside a D810 you can clearly see the difference in build, but it's not as much as I would have thought. Obviously coming from a D700(which I loved) I'm more than a little blown away by AF speed, ISO performance, and IQ. Even ignoring the MP increase, the images have a certain tone to them that I can't quite put my finger on, I'm not sure if it's the colour rendition, or the white balance, but there's certainly a quality there that's hard to describe but very pleasing.

I have another one on it's way from Panamoz as I type, and will be using them at my first solo wedding in a couple of weeks.....*gulp*..... but realistically I don't think I could ask for a better camera for the task (at least not without spending about 3 times as much!).

The Nikon 70-300 is great value, I have had mine a couple of years and it is fine on my D750.

. Even ignoring the MP increase, the images have a certain tone to them that I can't quite put my finger on, I'm not sure if it's the colour rendition, or the white balance, but there's certainly a quality there that's hard to describe but very pleasing.
The tones, especially skin tones are much better on the D750. It's something of a weak spot for Nikon imo but they really have got it right with the D750.

I thought the colour out of camera for the Canon 5D mk2 & 3 was the best of any camera I have owned. Shame about the dynamic range and low light performance lol

I thought the colour out of camera for the Canon 5D mk2 & 3 was the best of any camera I have owned. Shame about the dynamic range and low light performance lol
I've always loved the colours from the 5D3, it was a camera I lusted at for years. But having seen side by side comparisons I now actually prefer those from the D750. Personal preference I know, but at least for me I now get really nice tones and great DR ;)

Does anyone use the Nikon 70-300 G VR lens?

I have owned the Nikon and Tamron version of both lenses. For me the Tamron seemed to have more pop with the photos and the VC was better than the Nikon VR. The Nikon was slightly better built and also has the VR active mode? If you plan on keeping you can get the Nikon for £275 from HDEW and the Tamron for around the £240 mark (UK model). The Nikon will hold more money if you plan to sell on, so swings and roundabouts over price.

Edit: I used mine on a D7000 and not FF camera, so not sure which fairs better on FF.

Last edited:
I have owned the Nikon and Tamron version of both lenses. For me the Tamron seemed to have more pop with the photos and the VC was better than the Nikon VR. The Nikon was slightly better built and also has the VR active mode? If you plan on keeping you can get the Nikon for £275 from HDEW and the Tamron for around the £240 mark (UK model). The Nikon will hold more money if you plan to sell on, so swings and roundabouts over price.

Edit: I used mine on a D7000 and not FF camera, so not sure which fairs better on FF.

Thanks Jack, I have played with the Nikon lens in a shop and it does feel nicely built, as you say i think I probably can't go wrong with either of them, its purely for a cheap, light travel lens which I can stick in my bag, I did have my eye on the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 in the classifieds (and might still) but the extra weight puts me off a little even though IQ wise its meant to be a cracking lens.

Thanks Jack, I have played with the Nikon lens in a shop and it does feel nicely built, as you say i think I probably can't go wrong with either of them, its purely for a cheap, light travel lens which I can stick in my bag, I did have my eye on the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 in the classifieds (and might still) but the extra weight puts me off a little even though IQ wise its meant to be a cracking lens.

I would of thought the 70-200mm could be a pain if lugging around, especially in hot weather, plus you lose the 100mm on the end. Snerkler has some links for the Nikon on his D750 links above, look fine to me for general use lens.

I would of thought the 70-200mm could be a pain if lugging around, especially in hot weather, plus you lose the 100mm on the end. Snerkler has some links for the Nikon on his D750 links above, look fine to me for general use lens.

Yeah I did think about that although if I'm honest I'd only be using it when I know I'm A: going to use it and B: when I get some time purely for togging so in a backpack the extra weight wouldn't make much odds I guess!

It's fine 'lugging it around' if using a sling strap, plus it crops better than the 70-300mm so can gain some length that way ;) But yes the 70-300mm is more than fine for general use imo. But I don't use telephoto for general use, so now that I'm armed with the 70-200mm and 150-600mm I had no use for the 70-300mm ;)

Last edited:
It's fine 'lugging it around' if using a sling strap, plus it crops better than the 70-300mm so can gain some length that way ;) But yes the 70-300mm is more than fine for general use imo. But I don't use telephoto for general use, so now that I'm armed with the 70-200mm and 150-600mm I had no use for the 70-300mm ;)

If I have read his posts right, he wants it for holidays also, so weight restrictions may apply. I think he has a few abroad holidays coming up, so lightness maybe key. He has just sold his 70-200mm f4 so the extra 100mm will be useful.

If I have read his posts right, he wants it for holidays also, so weight restrictions may apply. I think he has a few abroad holidays coming up, so lightness maybe key. He has just sold his 70-200mm f4 so the extra 100mm will be useful.
Yeah, the whole 70-200mm conversation was off on a tangent tbh and not really relevant to the whole 70-300mm question. I already answered that one ;) :p

Your right enough though Snerkler I do find that a telephoto is something that tends to be quite specific, 70-200 for portrait, etc or 150-600 for sport/wildlife, etc - I don't use a telephoto a lot (hence selling the £700 Nikon 70-200) but its nice to have in the bag hence the purchase of a "cheap" 70-300 for now!

The 70-300 vr is a great lens for the money it can be got for second hand and it's lightweight too. AF isn't great but good enough although there is a noticeable difference between the 70-300 vr and f4/f2.8 lens. I remember noticing the difference after using the 300mm f4 for a few months and then using the 70-300 vr as it was the only lens I had with me. IQ is good up to 200-250mm and starts to drops off between 250-300mm.

Currently I use the nikon 70-200 f4 as it's light, f4 aperture and has fast focus although it's 3 times the price. If it's occasional use then the 70-300 vr punches well above it's weight and is a great buy, if like me you use it a lot then the 70-200 f4 is a great alternative. M

Just received an email from Nikon - another potential problem, sigh

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64946

"To users of the Nikon D750 digital SLR camera - possible image shading from shutter

It has come to our attention that the shutter in some Nikon D750 digital SLR cameras manufactured in October and November of 2014 does not function normally, sometimes resulting in shading of a portion of images. We have decided to take the following measures regarding this issue.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused."

and mines affected...grrr

Last edited:
Just received an email from Nikon - another potential problem, sigh

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64946

"To users of the Nikon D750 digital SLR camera - possible image shading from shutter

It has come to our attention that the shutter in some Nikon D750 digital SLR cameras manufactured in October and November of 2014 does not function normally, sometimes resulting in shading of a portion of images. We have decided to take the following measures regarding this issue.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused."

and mines affected...grrr
Have you ever actually seen an image suffer from shutter shading?

Neither of mine is affected thankfully. Even if it was I wouldn't send it in lol.

Mine's supposedly affected, although I've never seen any shading. I will be sending it in though as I'm sure come the time I sell it on the question will be asked. Also, I don't know what exactly they do to fix the issue but it will be a bonus if it gets a new shutter as my shutter count is rapidly rising ;)

Got to say though I'm really annoyed as I've only just got mine back from the flare issue and it is a real inconvenience being without the camera :mad:

Got to say though I'm really annoyed as I've only just got mine back from the flare issue and it is a real inconvenience being without the camera :mad:

ditto, had mine back 2 weeks. May be they should just give us a brand new replacement :)

Mine's not affected, but it could have worked out well for me - it's currently at Nikon waiting for the flare issue to be fixed! Could have killed two birds with one stone!

Still, I'm enjoying getting reacquainted with my D700, but the handling does feel a bit strange now, having got used to the right hand grip of the D750!

Back