Nikon D750 & D780

Everything that put me off the D600/610 has been addressed it seems (live view, AF, one click zoom) so I'll be checking this out for sure. Not that bothered about lack of AF ON but it would have been nice to have it.

Hey Nikon, you made a typo. That 7 should be a 6! Still, saves me having to find money to upgrade. I'll keep my D610 which is seeming like a bargain now at £950...

Full frame and AF from D4s; what's not to like?

Because it isn't a D4s without the vertical grip for under £2k.

There is a worldwide population of people who have never got over the fact that Nikon realised that having the D700 so close in spec to the D3 was a marketing mistake,hurt D3 sales and won't repeat it.

Because it isn't a D4s without the vertical grip for under £2k.

There is a worldwide population of people who have never got over the fact that Nikon realised that having the D700 so close in spec to the D3 was a marketing mistake,hurt D3 sales and won't repeat it.

Cunning these Japanese, what?

The bloody thing is even smaller than the D600/610

Im currently selling my gear and this means when i do come back im coming back to Canon

Not the build everyone wanted, it's basically what the d6xx series should have been. It has the spec people wanted but not the build. Price wise it now makes sense as it's a similar RRP to the d600 when it was released.

I'm glad I didn't wait for this and picked up a second hand d800 at a good price. The d750 is basically a d7100 but with an fx sensor. I'm not sure if 6.5fps is going to be want people want. This release makes me think a d700 or d300 direct replacement will never happen. I honestly think nikon made fantastic cameras in the d700 and d300 but they were just too good and stopped people moving upwards.

Now people are complaining it's too small. I guess the D810 should be as big as the D4s too? In fact, why don't Nikon just make all their cameras the same size as the D4s?

Very much agree, I have kept my D300s even though I bought a D610 as I get the best of both worlds in versatility terms. And I've not had a single fault with the D300s yet in 6 years so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon!!

Everything that put me off the D600/610 has been addressed it seems (live view, AF, one click zoom) so I'll be checking this out for sure. Not that bothered about lack of AF ON but it would have been nice to have it.

The d750 is probably what the entry level fx should be, everything you need but in a smaller body. The body isn't really an issue to me so it would have been a nice upgrade from the d7100 to fx. I'm wondering if they are going to keep this spec for fx only and slowly discontinue the d6xx line as four fx cameras seems a little too much.

I don't see what there is not to like either. If I were in the market for an upgrade at the mo id be having two.

It's basically a d620, not a d700 replacement. At the risk of sounding a snob it has the consumer mode dial and not the ISO/wb on the top.

The d4 is great but above most price points for people. D810 is great for landscapes but less so for portraits and sports as poor fps and too many mp

The d3 series was great. D3 was an all rounder, the x for studios and the a for weddings. Why not have the d810 and the 810s, with the 810s having more fps and lower mp?

Like many the d700 is the best option still for me despite all the recent models.

I still have a D300 which I love, I bought a D700 which I think is great, I upgraded my D7000 to a D7100 specifically for birding …… I can just about put up with the D7100

Looks like a used D800 or even a new D810 is the best bet out there ……… D3S values should hold now that we all know what the D750 is

and always have a d700

Buy a D4S and be done with it ………. should last for a good 10 years before an urge creeps in …… so that's £500 a year which is probably less that upgrading through the D7xx or D8xx line up

But the above is more relevant to us lot on here and not to the "sensible" Nikon market

Last edited:
Now people are complaining it's too small. I guess the D810 should be as big as the D4s too? In fact, why don't Nikon just make all their cameras the same size as the D4s?

If it's a d700 replacement surely it should be the same size?

It's basically a d620, not a d700 replacement. At the risk of sounding a snob it has the consumer mode dial and not the ISO/wb on the top.

The d4 is great but above most price points for people. D810 is great for landscapes but less so for portraits and sports as poor fps and too many mp

The d3 series was great. D3 was an all rounder, the x for studios and the a for weddings. Why not have the d810 and the 810s, with the 810s having more fps and lower mp?

Like many the d700 is the best option still for me despite all the recent models.

Why is the D810 less great for portraits - I'd have thought it was a great portrait camera?

I suspect that Nikon didn't want the D3/D700 issue again, which is probably what would have happened with the D4/D750 if it was in a pro body

as the day progresses we will all get even more annoyed and "worked up" about the D750 …….. Nikon will have to release an upgrade in January to keep some of us happy, or expecting ……….. what will the next Nikon rumour bate be?

That was going to happen, can't please everyone. The signs were there but many didn't want to hear/see them (£1800 price, dual SD, flip screen etc). The daft thing is it's nearly the camera everyone wanted but just not a pro body. I don't think there will ever be a true d700/d300 replacement.

If you think about it the top end of fx lineup makes sense d750, d810, d4s. Bodies and specs step up nicely.

Not the build everyone wanted, it's basically what the d6xx series should have been. It has the spec people wanted but not the build. Price wise it now makes sense as it's a similar RRP to the d600 when it was released.

I'm glad I didn't wait for this and picked up a second hand d800 at a good price. The d750 is basically a d7100 but with an fx sensor. I'm not sure if 6.5fps is going to be want people want. This release makes me think a d700 or d300 direct replacement will never happen. I honestly think nikon made fantastic cameras in the d700 and d300 but they were just too good and stopped people moving upwards.

I love my D700 and D300, and all the time they are doing such a good job i'm unlikely to jump to a new model. OK there a tad behind technology wise but both excellent cameras, so why lash out £££ on a replacement? Better off investing in lens IMHO.... Nice to look though, still not convinced the 750 is / will be as robust as a 700 though.

Reactions: BBR
Very much agree, I have kept my D300s even though I bought a D610 as I get the best of both worlds in versatility terms. And I've not had a single fault with the D300s yet in 6 years so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon!!

I've recently picked up a d800 and that's what I see that as but dx and fx in one body. The 1.2 and 1.5 crop modes give good sized dx images when I want them whilst fx is there. The only killer is the file size which surprised me a bit but it's all workable.

I'm clearly in the minority here thinking that a smaller lighter body than the D700 is a good thing then. I've had days carrying a D700 round that ended with aching arms and shoulders, so any weight saving is a blessing in my opinion. Each to their own though.

I love my D700 and D300, and all the time they are doing such a good job i'm unlikely to jump to a new model. OK there a tad behind technology wise but both excellent cameras, so why lash out £££ on a replacement? Better off investing in lens IMHO.... Nice to look though, still not convinced the 750 is / will be as robust as a 700 though.

This release makes me think a d700 or d300 direct replacement will never happen. I honestly think nikon made fantastic cameras in the d700 and d300 but they were just too good and stopped people moving upwards.

It looks like your the prime example of what I said about the d700/d300. Unfortunately nikon made a marketing error with those two cameras, both were 'golden eggs' and stopped people upgrading. If you wanted fx then the d700 was the cheapest option and it's spec wasn't restricted compared to the d3, whilst the d300 was a d700 spec camera but with a dx sensor. Unfortunately for nikon both models restricted the upgrade sales of the d300>d700>d3 route, some potential d3 users went for the d700 and some potential d700 users went for the d300 for 'reach'.

Both are still great cameras and will be for a while yet, but I can never see a direct replacement of d700/d300 ever happening. Nikons marketing numbers wise is all over the shop, there is no consistency but there is a marketing aim/direction if we only look at the d7500, d810 and d4s.

I'm clearly in the minority here thinking that a smaller lighter body than the D700 is a good thing then. I've had days carrying a D700 round that ended with aching arms and shoulders, so any weight saving is a blessing in my opinion. Each to their own though.

After putting a gripped d800 next to a gripped d7100 I can definitely see your point.

all true. Not a reason not to like it though

The d4 is great but above most price loints for people. D810 is great for landscapes but less so for portraits and sports as poor fps and too many mp

Nikon's flagship camera is expensive. Who knew? Top of the range offerings always are. Next time I pack my d800s to shoot a job (probably tomorrow even) I'll remind myself that they aren't really people cameras, and that they can't do the job properly. I thought that old chestnut had finally gone away. For sports I agree the FPS is a bit low

there was a d3a? or did you mistype? Seriously, why not like this for what it is, rather then complain about what it is not. If you want or need a D4S then I'm afraid you'll have to pay for it. Nikon ain't ever going to make the mistake of releasing a cut down version of it.

If we forget about the body size and the number 7 in the model number, the specs are quite impressive and what most wanted. The inclusion of built in wifi could make this a great remote camera. I'm thinking this is designed to go up against the cannon 6d, with those specs it does it very well. It makes sense if the targets are d750>6d, d810>5d3, d4s>1dx.

• New 24.3MP full-frame sensor
  • EXPEED 4 image-processing engine
  • 6.5fps in FX and DX formats
  • 91k pixel RGB sensor
  • ISO 100-12,800 (exp. to ISO 50 and 51,200 equivalents)
  • 51-point AF system (including Groupe Area AF mode)
  • Full HD 1080p video recording at 50/60p
  • Power Aperture control
  • Stereo microphones plus microphone and headphone sockets
  • 3.2in tiltable LCD with 1,229k dots
  • Enhanced Picture Control System
  • 200,000-shot shutter unit
  • Magnesium-alloy/carbon-fibre body with dust- and weather-sealing
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
This would have probably tempted me later on when the RRP price dropped if I hadn't already moved to fx very recently.

Last edited:
Gerard /\ :LOL:

I quite like the look of it, I've been considering swapping my D300 for another full frame camera and up until this week it was just going to be another D700 but i might be tempted by this if/when the price settles down. I've been hit by early adopters fees before so might wait, especially wait until i can have a proper play with one and see how i feel. Pricewise i might be able to get a second hand D800 for similar money so it's a tough choice, it's nice to have a choice of FF cameras though :D

I'll reserve judgement for now but i'm quietly hopeful that this might be a contender for my next camera :) Only thing bothering me at the moment is no rear AF button, but can be programmed for the AE lock so not the end of the world.

I don't see what there is not to like either. If I were in the market for an upgrade at the mo id be having two.

IN that smaller body, with my smaller hands, you would think I would jumping at it wouldn't you? Except, I still have a D300 and a D70s and both feel very odd and unbalanced in my hands now compared to the 700's and the 300 is only marginally smaller. Wi-fi might be useful, defo dual card slots, not bothered about video or a moving screen but realise whatever I upgrade to eventually is likely to have them. As others have said though, I don't see this as a genuine 700 upgrade, its a D600 upgrade with a new name on paper. Not planning on upgrading this side of christmas anyway, so no doubt will get a chance to have a play with one before making a final decision, but can't help but feel disappointed. Call me a gear snob [and the fact I am still using D700's says am probably not generally], but can't help feel that that left hand ode dial looks like consumer body. ;)

Smaller camera is FAB - might stop a few switching to the XT-1 type thing

For me though...

Wedding camera...

Lots of AF points = FAB, defo an improvement over the 6xx and better to focus in low light
Improvement on high ISO is always welcome
Quieter shutter - may appease the annoying Vicar
Smaller = less conspicuous so better for candids and yes the weight saving when carrying cameras for 12 hours is a plus

Landscape camera...

24mp nice
Tilting screen, potentially very useful to stop getting p*** wet through lying on the ground :D
50 ISO nice

Anything else is pointless for me

Would I go FX with this one then? Probably not as its about 3x maybe 4x what a used and perfectly good enough D610 will be in an hour's time lol

Dave

Last edited:
Call me a gear snob [and the fact I am still using D700's says am probably not generally], but can't help feel that that left hand ode dial looks like consumer body. ;)

This was my initial thoughts too Yvonne, the left hand dial thing is a bit of a put off for me, having said that it does have some good features, the other thing that's disappointing is the fact even when gripped it won't increase the FPS, which I find odd, very early days yet, as I won't be looking at anything till after xmas, so still plenty of time to watch the real life reviews, from the people who will be pre-ordering from Wex today :D

With the Mode dial and Scene modes it's a high-end enthusiasts camera. Still plenty of features good enough to make a bit of money though.

I don't like any of these bodies that are FX trying to be DX sized. DOn't like that dial either.

This, to me, is the D650 ... they can call it whatever they like.

I don't think any camera can be all things to all people. Even if it could, I doubt the manufacturers would make it ;)

I think this is potentially extremely good for me. I shoot in low light, looks good for that. I shoot landscapes, looks good for that, very rarely I need a burst rate, looks pretty good for that (ok not D4s speed but ...) I sometimes shoot people too, looks good for that. No idea about the video, never used it on my current body and on my D7000 I had I used it once.

Small body is fine for me too, no need to carry extra weight.

As for the body layout, I don't see much of an issue there, soon get used to it.

You just described the D610 though ^ basically. Because that will also do all that for you.

So as long as it has a D4 sized buffer then its a smaller, lighter, faster, FX camera than Nikon have had before...

How can this not be put up against a 5DMk3 !

Not bothered about the the left dial,

BUT
has 2 issues as a sports FX for me.

Max 1/4000 !!
max 6.5 FPS (gripped is the same)
Still unknown about the buffer

Looks like a stellar body for wedding photographers.

Small, quiet, fast, discreet, great battery life, great AF, dual cards, under £2k.

Nikon Rumours called this an action camera, not Nikon.

Assuming the image quality is there this looks like a fantastic camera. The only negative for me is the small body size which can be difficult for me to handle with my large hands.

I can live with the maximum shutter speed.

It has everything else I would want.

Back