Nikon D750 & D780

I'm afraid that I wouldn't keep it ... I had a D810 with a problem, didn't affect every use but it was always going to be there so it had to go back.
Fast forward to the time you want to sell it ... "Has it had the 'reflection issue' fix?" ... "Um, no!".

Gramps that's my problem I really like the camera and feel after paying £1650 for a camera 6 weeks ago I shouldn't have to send it for a repair. Like I said before I wonder if its a problem with a batch of cameras or a complete design fault. The serial number of my camera starts 60xxxxx.
Mine starts 200xxxxx, some guys on FM are also different numbersm what lens did you use for these

I did an engagement shoot with my UK sourced 60x serial numbered D750 yesterday with Sigma's 35mm and 50mm Art primes. A lot of what I shot was into bright sunlight either with the sun in the frame or slightly outside of it. Can't say I saw any of these issues.

I shoot into the light quite a lot so if I was experiencing these issues then I'd be sending my camera back.

I've done a lot of reading about the internal reflection issue, as I'm considering buying a D750. There's a LOT of discussion about it on Fred Miranda forums, and DPReview, but the common consensus seems to be that most of the shots you'll ever shoot into strong sunlight (or other equivalent) probably won't show it. It appears you have to have the light source in exactly the right place for it to happen - and even then it may not.

There seem to be many threads suggesting that several other bodies suffer similar issues - to varying degrees - but not many, if any, direct comparisons under the same conditions, so it's hard to tell whether it really is a more prevalent issue with the D750.

I personally doubt that Nikon will acknowledge this and fix it - I think it's perhaps a storm in a teacup - there is certainly a reflection you can create on stills and during video, under certain conditions, but it's not that dissimilar to what I've seen from people testing other bodies for the same thing.

Let's be honest - if those wedding photos, shot into the sun, hadn't been shared on the internet, who would have actually noticed this? (I think they were first put on FM forums). How many people on here have noticed the 'internal reflection' issue on real world, every day photos?

I'm still not sure whether to take the plunge and go for the D750, I'm waiting a few more days, but my current thinking is that this wouldn't put me off because I'm fairly certain I will never notice it unless I really look for it and try to 'provoke' it happening.

For the record - Gary's issue seems to be a separate thing, a light leak or something affecting the left side of his images. I'd be very surprised if his replacement body shows the same problem again.

Last edited:
I've done a lot of reading about the internal reflection issue, as I'm considering buying a D750. There's a LOT of discussion about it on Fred Miranda forums, and DPReview, but the common consensus seems to be that most of the shots you'll ever shoot into strong sunlight (or other equivalent) probably won't show it. It appears you have to have the light source in exactly the right place for it to happen - and even then it may not.

There seem to be many threads suggesting that several other bodies suffer similar issues - to varying degrees - but not many, if any, direct comparisons under the same, so it's hard to tell whether it really is a more prevalent issue with the D750.

I personally doubt that Nikon will acknowledge this and fix it - I think it's perhaps a storm in a teacup - there is certainly a reflection you can create on stills and during video, under certain conditions, but it's not that dissimilar to what I've seen from people testing other bodies for the same thing.

Let's be honest - if those wedding photos, shot into the sun, hadn't been shared on the internet, who would have actually noticed this? (I think they were first put on FM forums). How many people on here have noticed the 'internal reflection' issue on real world, every day photos?

I'm still not sure whether to take the plunge and go for the D750, I'm waiting a few more days, but my current thinking is that this wouldn't put me off because I'm fairly certain I will never notice it unless I really look for it and try to 'provoke' it happening.

For the record - Gary's issue seems to be a separate thing, a light leak or something affecting the left side of his images. I'd be very surprised if his replacement body shows the same problem again.

excellent rational post

hopefully it is like the green line issue on the M8 - I have taken lots of images with my M8 and it has only appeared once

green_smudge_M8.jpg

If you can get a refund on any of these faulty cameras I would do it.Forget how much you like the camera.Buy another when it's sorted out or go and buy one you can see before you hand the money over.But if it is not too late get the refund because no one is going to want a camera like that and how long is it going to be away getting repaired ,will it ever be right."Oh it's repaired and in the post Mr chrisc" and when you get it-it's still the same "oh is it sorry just send it back and we will have another look" Get rid.

Last edited:
Amazon will probably replace or more likely as in my case with my ex-D750, give a full refund. My D750's main command dial became intermittent before finally failing altogether after about 10 days. I have read about others having faults early on so decided to fork out the extra cash for a D810 instead; so far I have no regrets at all, much better camera, better quality and more to the point -- it works.

I really hope it doesn't become or get blown into another d600 oil/d800 af issue.
Nikon may be leading in sensor tech(even if it is sony's) at the moment but there recent runs of cameras with issues must be hurting them financially, its hurting there name and used prices at least.

Ive been tempted to sell my d800e but loosing half the value in under 2 years is hard to swallow, I'm not sure whether to spend the extra on a d810 or go for a d750 if i do.
Has anyone here gone from a d800 to d750?

Has anyone here gone from a d800 to d750?

I have and it was the right move for me with weddings and people photography being my primary uses for my DSLRs. It did hurt to lose so much in depreciation since I'd only had my D800 since last year, but I've no regrets so far.

Amazon will probably replace or more likely as in my case with my ex-D750, give a full refund. My D750's main command dial became intermittent before finally failing altogether after about 10 days. I have read about others having faults early on so decided to fork out the extra cash for a D810 instead; so far I have no regrets at all, much better camera, better quality and more to the point -- it works.

BTW, this issue can also be replicated with the D810.

BTW, this issue can also be replicated with the D810.

that is good news for me ( i think), I've been shooting two d810's since their release and many 000's of images, some backlit and have not noticed an issue. I've been holding back on pulling the trigger on a D750 because of this problem, but the panamoz price is so good I may as well go for it now.

that is good news for me ( i think), I've been shooting two d810's since their release and many 000's of images, some backlit and have not noticed an issue. I've been holding back on pulling the trigger on a D750 because of this problem, but the panamoz price is so good I may as well go for it now.

As said previously, this 'problem' has been shown with various camera brands not just Nikon or the D750. Garys issue is something else though.

Ive shot into harsh light with mine and it doesnt appear, I just get normal flare, Ive also tried to replicate with pretty much every indoor light I have including LED spots and the only way I can replicate is to shine a torch in the dark down the front of the lens at a very specific angle, WARNING may be an issue for torch reviewers :D

If you find it to be an issue just send it back. Its a superb camera.

Last edited:
Looking at the pics linked on the previous post - I think this is a non-issue. Several other cameras clearly have the same thing when you shoot in such a way as to create the so-called "problem".

So I'm now very close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Will more than likely buy from Panamoz. Does anyone have experience with returning cameras to them with faults, out of interest? I'm hoping I won't need to, of course, but it would be good to know it's a smooth process.

Another accolade

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7947009894/high-end-full-frame-roundup

We recommend: Nikon D750
All things considered, even though we're not quite done testing it, the D750 may be the best DSLR we've ever used. We’re still putting the finishing touches to our full range of tests, but all signs point to the Nikon D750 being the full-frame camera to buy. In just about every category, it outdid its main competitors, the Canon 5D Mark III and Sony a99. Autofocus on the D750 is close to best in class (the D810 offers a slightly larger AF area, but less sensitivity in low light), and subject tracking on the D750 is top notch. It also blows past the Canon in terms of dynamic range; to the point that some of our editors question whether its 24MP sensor is in fact 'magic'. Initial tests suggest that it is not - more likely just very well-applied science.

The Nikon D810 was a close competitor for the top spot here, but the lower price point of the D750, coupled with its lighter body design, built-in Wi-Fi, articulating screen and faster burst made it our winner. The Nikon D810 is an excellent choice for anyone requiring class-leading resolution—the 36MP sensor and lack of AA filter mean the D810 can function as both a sharp full-frame and APS-C sensor body in one; DX lenses will still have 16MP to call their own. We did find the D810 to offer more dynamic range, specifically at ISO 64, and a faster top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. For most people, though, these difference are probably not worth the extra cash.

Looking at the pics linked on the previous post - I think this is a non-issue. Several other cameras clearly have the same thing when you shoot in such a way as to create the so-called "problem".

So I'm now very close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Will more than likely buy from Panamoz. Does anyone have experience with returning cameras to them with faults, out of interest? I'm hoping I won't need to, of course, but it would be good to know it's a smooth process.

You dont return to HK, you send to Nikon UK, pay the bill and they refund the cost of repair. Garys going through it at the mo.

Can someone who has bought a D750 from Panamoz tell me what I need to specify? Read something somewhere about need to ask for a UK manual and charger/lead, is there anything else?

Can someone who has bought a D750 from Panamoz tell me what I need to specify? Read something somewhere about need to ask for a UK manual and charger/lead, is there anything else?

Dont need to do anything, they know what country it's going to, so change box contents accordingly. Well thats been the case of the two cameras I have ordered from them, D750 was ordered week last Sunday and came with english manual and 3 pin plug, same for my Fuji XT1.

Last edited:
Dont need to do anything, they know what country it's going to, so change box contents accordingly. Well thats been the case of the two cameras I have ordered from them, D750 was ordered week last Sunday and came with english manual and 3 pin plug, same for my Fuji XT1.
Not correct Simon, Tina herself at Panamoz says to "guarantee" a UK manual and UK plug you must ask for one, otherwise they just send you the first one they pick up.

But if it is not too late get the refund because no one is going to want a camera like that and how long is it going to be away getting repaired ,will it ever be right.

No one will ever want a camera like that? I will buck the trend then, I'd buy it used no problem, just like I bought 2 D600s used (and like the many, many people who still buy them used). I sold my D600s for slightly less than I paid for them, so it clearly doesn't bother as many people as you would think.

Look hard enough and you will find an issue with most things, but if it's never or very rarely going to bother you it's not worth the time and effort worrying about it in my opinion.

My D750 arrives today, I won't be testing it for 'the issue' as it appears that it's hugely unlikely that it will ever actually be a concern in real life shooting.

Last edited:
I just took delivery of mine from panamoz. They done me it for £1159. I never had to specify anything. They also deliver to northern Ireland again. Will report back later !!

Not correct Simon, Tina herself at Panamoz says to "guarantee" a UK manual and UK plug you must ask for one, otherwise they just send you the first one they pick up.

Didn't realise that Gary, I must have been lucky with my last two purchases.

Just ordered mine, with the 24-120 kit, thought it was worth it - I'll either keep the lens, or leave it in its box & sell it brand new unused. I had one a couple of years back on my D700, and liked it, but the 24-85 is a cracking little lens as well, and it's a good way of making my D750 body lighter......and quite a bit cheaper.

Like a previous poster has said - I won't even be testing mine for the so called reflection thing - as far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue blown up out of all proportion by the usual internet channels. I'm not expecting it to show up at all in real photos. You only have to look at all the bickering that goes on over at DPReview to see how obsessed people are with things that are totally unimportant in the real world !

Last edited:
Which Nikon 50mm lens would you guys recommend, the 1.8D or 1.8G. I had the D version when I had my D7000 and it performed well I thought, is it worth paying a bit extra for the G lens? And how do these lenses perform on FX.

Im not interested in the Sigma Art, as 1 I can't afford it and 2 it will be too heavy for me.

Just had a short play with the camera with a 50mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.4. I spent around 10-15 minutes in live view trying to recreate the said reflection issue with just about every light in the house(LED/Spotlights/lamps/xmas decorations etc) from all angles. Couldn't seem to recreate it. It wouldnt have bothered me but I would have been interested to see what the fuss was about. Uploading a jpeg to check the shutter count to make sure it doesn't have a few thousand on the clock LOL.

I really like the grip on it. Feels nice and comfortable. Looks like a sweet camera !

Just had a short play with the camera with a 50mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.4. I spent around 10-15 minutes in live view trying to recreate the said reflection issue with just about every light in the house(LED/Spotlights/lamps/xmas decorations etc) from all angles. Couldn't seem to recreate it. It wouldnt have bothered me but I would have been interested to see what the fuss was about. Uploading a jpeg to check the shutter count to make sure it doesn't have a few thousand on the clock LOL.

I really like the grip on it. Feels nice and comfortable. Looks like a sweet camera !

cool, how long did yours take to arrive?

Which Nikon 50mm lens would you guys recommend, the 1.8D or 1.8G. I had the D version when I had my D7000 and it performed well I thought, is it worth paying a bit extra for the G lens? And how do these lenses perform on FX.

Im not interested in the Sigma Art, as 1 I can't afford it and 2 it will be too heavy for me.

I spent ages mulling over this, decided the 50mm 1.8 AFS was the best option (in fact my D750 and 50mm have just this moment arrived, 9 days from HDEW at £1215) after looking at various real world comparisons.

I think the 1.8 G AFS range from Nikon is often overlooked, I had the 28 and it was fantastic, seriously considering the newish 35mm 1.8 over the Sigma Art as it gets a great rep.

I spent ages mulling over this, decided the 50mm 1.8 AFS was the best option (in fact my D750 and 50mm have just this moment arrived, 9 days from HDEW at £1215) after looking at various real world comparisons.

I think the 1.8 G AFS range from Nikon is often overlooked, I had the 28 and it was fantastic, seriously considering the newish 35mm 1.8 over the Sigma Art as it gets a great rep.

I agree I think the 50mm 1.8G is superb. Very sharp wide open for the $$$

I have a Sigma 35 incoming and have the fingers crossed its a good one lol

It is really difficult to reproduce the effect mate. Thats why most will never experience the issue.

Another vote for the G, its so cheap theres no point in considering the D.

Last edited:
My Sigma 85mm 1.4 doesn't AF in live view lol. Anyone else got this lens on the D750?

Back