Nikon D750 & D780

Obviously you have not been influenced by any marketing then … even in the reports that you have read
Are you making an assumption that the reports/reviews I've read/watched are clandestinely being manipulated by Nikon's marketing efforts?

Even if that were true, I have actually used a D750 for work and it's fulfilled all my expectations. Not sure what relevance any marketing now had on my own personal experience of using the camera.

This isn't a Leica we're talking about here, but a solid performing tool.

I think the negative feelings about the D610 follow on from the bad QC/design issues of the D600 which pretty much killed it imho. They had to bring out the D610 to try and move on from the bad D600 reputation, and, in doing so, killed the resale value of everyone's D600s. :rolleyes: :( And then to bring out the D750 so soon, and the D610 doesn't fare too well. Nikon are killing values so quickly that they are their own worst enemy as consumer confidence is concerned with all the QC/design issues, and bringing out too many cameras so quickly.

The D750, as has been said, seems to be hitting the sweet spot for a lot of people.

Nikon FX produce line seems to be becoming confusing with the D750
When there was the D600 - D800 - D4S …….. there was a clear place for each and each could be identified (more) with a specific user or use

Nikon then produced the D610 - as you say, maybe to "clear up" the oil problem with the D600 and they also produced a D800E

Now we have the D610 ……… D750 …………D810, (say D800E +) … and D4S

The D750 seems to be pulling people away from the D610 and to a certain (lesser) extent from the D810

I wonder who is buying the D610, but in the US I believe it has a better reputation than in the UK, (just from what I have read)

I just do not understand what will come next in the Nikon FX line up, (apart from maybe a D5 at about £6k) and how the D610/D750 fit into the line up together ….. OK we have been asking for a new 24MB DX body …….. but is there a market for a 24MB and 36MB FX body and what sized sensor will Nikon concentrate on for their FX line …… I would have thought that it would be the 36MB sensor as in DX mode this would give 24 MB …….. although Canon have yet to decide to go that large

Are you making an assumption that the reports/reviews I've read/watched are clandestinely being manipulated by Nikon's marketing efforts?

Even if that were true, I have actually used a D750 for work and it's fulfilled all my expectations. Not sure what relevance any marketing now had on my own personal experience of using the camera.

This isn't a Leica we're talking about here, but a solid performing tool.

What's Leica got to do with it, all the Leica cameras are "solid performing tools" …… the ones that I have and have/had are anyway

There are lots of "solid performing tools" for sale and many are not marketed ………. have I suggested that Nikon have a clandestine marketing policy? ……. their marketing policies and produce range are far from that.

What are you talking about …. I never suggested that the D750 was a bad camera …….. if you earn money from it great, I don't need to ………. if you need a D750 to earn money maybe you should get a D4S which would surely earn you more …….

Does it matter where the D750 fits into the line-up? What material difference does it make?

Personally, I made the choice to buy the D750 based upon price and features. The same factors steered me away from the D6xx line and encouraged me to sell my D800 (and not buy a D810). It makes no difference to me what comes next or where Nikon decide to position the D750 in their line-up.

What's Leica got to do with it, all the Leica cameras are "solid performing tools" …… the ones that I have and have/had are anyway

There are lots of "solid performing tools" for sale and many are not marketed ………. have I suggested that Nikon have a clandestine marketing policy? ……. their marketing policies and produce range are far from that.

What are you talking about …. I never suggested that the D750 was a bad camera …….. if you earn money from it great, I don't need to ………. if you need a D750 to earn money maybe you should get a D4S which would surely earn you more …….
What's this 'marketing' you keep referring to? You make it sound like people are choosing the D750 due to hype.

If there's ever a brand more wrapped up in hype then that would be one such as Leica and I say that as a Leica owner.

I see. So, more expensive cameras earn more money. Gotcha.

What's this 'marketing' you keep referring to? You make it sound like people are choosing the D750 due to hype.

If there's ever a brand more wrapped up in hype then that would be one such as Leica and I say that as a Leica owner.

I see. So, more expensive cameras earn more money. Gotcha.

The D800 was the reason I started looking at Canon, I bought a MK3 and some of the best lenses in the Canon lineup and thought everything was fabulous until I tried to recover some what looked light shadows. The camera is simply incapable of shadow recovery in the way the Nikons I have are, even the older D3/700. Already having alot of Nikon gear I decided the Canon had to go. I am so far pleasantly surprised by the D750. Looking forward to testing it with a few upcoming shoot. The 1/4000 shutter is a non runner for me as the base ISO of 100 negates that compared to my D3 / 700. Price wise I wouldn't pay £500+ for a rip off UK variant.

Just saw the following which seems to describe what i feel
I never said that it was a bad camera, just that I find it confusing

to me it seem to also indicate that a D820 could be released next Spring

Last edited:
Question to other D750 owners with grips, what did yous go for? I haven't bought one in awhile so out of the loop on brands, meike etc. I am shooting a music video in the next few months for a friend and will definitely need the extra juice from the grip

Check out the real pro wedding photographers reviews. As much as I enjoy Digitalrev their reviews are more about being funny etc I find.

This guy has done a superb review and hes coming from a few D3s cams

http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-d750-review

When there was the D600 - D800 - D4S …….. there was a clear place for each and each could be identified (more) with a specific user or use

Hows it confusing, the D610 is entry level, the D750 is intermediate with advanced AF and 24MP for all rounders and the D810 has better build and is targeting people who need the 36MP. Not confusing at all.

Question to other D750 owners with grips, what did yous go for? I haven't bought one in awhile so out of the loop on brands, meike etc. I am shooting a music video in the next few months for a friend and will definitely need the extra juice from the grip
Not bought a grip yet but definitely consider the Pixel Vertax D16 is very good value for money
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EACHSHOT-Ve...TF8&qid=1418151547&sr=8-1&keywords=vertax+d16

I had one with D610 and was impressed by it so assuming this would be good for the D750

The Nikon F

I've watched many of his video reviews and always come to the same conclusion, they are made to be entertaining and not to be taken very seriously, Ken Rockwell styleeee. Check out Ross Harvey and Susan Striplings blogs for alternative opinions.

Nikon then produced the D610 - as you say, maybe to "clear up" the oil problem with the D600 and they also produced a D800E

Now we have the D610 ……… D750 …………D810, (say D800E +) … and D4S

The D750 seems to be pulling people away from the D610 and to a certain (lesser) extent from the D810

I wonder who is buying the D610, but in the US I believe it has a better reputation than in the UK, (just from what I have read)

I just do not understand what will come next in the Nikon FX line up, (apart from maybe a D5 at about £6k) and how the D610/D750 fit into the line up together ….. OK we have been asking for a new 24MB DX body …….. but is there a market for a 24MB and 36MB FX body and what sized sensor will Nikon concentrate on for their FX line …… I would have thought that it would be the 36MB sensor as in DX mode this would give 24 MB …….. although Canon have yet to decide to go that large

I think Nikon are trying to replicate the DX range in FX to some degree. The D610 = D3300. Quite slow, and not the best AF. D750 = D5300. Tilt LCD. Now it gets a bit out of sync because all the DX line have the same sensor, and it is other features, including size/style of body, which differentiates them. The 36mp sensor has no DX equivalent, but they had to start with a relatively slow camera to have 36mp, and wait for Sony to produce 24mp sensors that were cost effective to lower the FF entry prices. Now the D810 speeds things up a bit, especially in DX crop mode, but in many ways it is no D7*** equivalent. But it took Nikon awhile to get the DX range sorted, D40, D40X, D60, D80 D90! They were able to get some clear order when they went to the D**** naming convention. Naming as always been a problem though. Why start the lower FF camera (up to now at D6**? D500 would have given them a bit of room. Mention of using the D400 name would have had D300/S users getting excited. ;) D600 > D610 seems logical, as does D800 > D810, but D700 > D750. :thinking: I know it was probably to not be seen as a direct D700 replacement but it doesn't look 'right'.

The D750 seems to be the 'Goldilocks' camera for many, whatever it is called. ;) :LOL: Most people don't need 36mp, but then they said 10mp is enough for most people. :LOL:

I think the D800E was a way of testing the market for a camera without an AA filter. As if it were just to have come out without a filter, and a lot of people would have had Moire problems, there would have been no alternative. As it was, people could compare the two, and appreciated the extra sharpness from not having the AA filter in front of the sensor, and I never heard of many Moire problems.

DX mode on the D800 gives you about 15.5Mp, not 24Mp. :)

You seem to be mixing up your Mp and Mb btw. ;)

and I never heard of many Moire problems.

I have experienced plenty of moire with the D810, not enough to cause a real issue but does take a little time to remove in PP. Shooting weddings its always grey mens suits and on one occasion wallpaper inside a venue. It's one of the reasons why I've ordered a D750, be good to have at lease one camera in my bag with an AA filter.

Last edited:
I think Nikon are trying to replicate the DX range in FX to some degree. The D610 = D3300. Quite slow, and not the best AF. D750 = D5300. Tilt LCD. Now it gets a bit out of sync because all the DX line have the same sensor, and it is other features, including size/style of body, which differentiates them. The 36mp sensor has no DX equivalent, but they had to start with a relatively slow camera to have 36mp, and wait for Sony to produce 24mp sensors that were cost effective to lower the FF entry prices. Now the D810 speeds things up a bit, especially in DX crop mode, but in many ways it is no D7*** equivalent. But it took Nikon awhile to get the DX range sorted, D40, D40X, D60, D80 D90! They were able to get some clear order when they went to the D**** naming convention. Naming as always been a problem though. Why start the lower FF camera (up to now at D6**? D500 would have given them a bit of room. Mention of using the D400 name would have had D300/S users getting excited. ;) D600 > D610 seems logical, as does D800 > D810, but D700 > D750. :thinking: I know it was probably to not be seen as a direct D700 replacement but it doesn't look 'right'.

The D750 seems to be the 'Goldilocks' camera for many, whatever it is called. ;) :LOL: Most people don't need 36mp, but then they said 10mp is enough for most people. :LOL:

I think the D800E was a way of testing the market for a camera without an AA filter. As if it were just to have come out without a filter, and a lot of people would have had Moire problems, there would have been no alternative. As it was, people could compare the two, and appreciated the extra sharpness from not having the AA filter in front of the sensor, and I never heard of many Moire problems.

DX mode on the D800 gives you about 15.5Mp, not 24Mp. :)

You seem to be mixing up your Mp and Mb btw. ;)

Just a few questions

Has the D750 got the same 24MP sensor as the D600/D610 …. with an AA Filter …. Nikon seem to indicate that it is newly designed, but some commentators say that it is the same sensor as the D610

If I am correct the D7100 has a 24MP DX sensor without an AA filter ……… so clearly the D7100 has a much higher pixel density than the D750

I have looked but cannot find a IQ/ISO comparison between the 24 MP D7100 and the DX crop mode of the D750 …. how big is the D750 DX crop versus the 24MP DX D7100

As some of you may know, I shoot a lot of Bird images which can be large crops ……… I use a D700, D7100 and V1 with mainly the Nikon 300mm f4, Nikon 300mm f2.8 and Nikon 600mm f4 with/and without the TC14Ell and TC20Elll …… the 300mm f2.8 and 600mm f4 are almost always on a good tripod set up or at least a steady bean bag ………… I only really use my DSLR's for this type of work

I know that pixel density is not everything, (I have a d700), but it is quite useful with highly cropped Bird and Dragonfly images

excuse my MB and MP ….. but you know what I mean

Last edited:
Just a few questions
I have looked but cannot find a IQ/ISO comparison between the 24 MP D7100 and the DX crop mode of the D750 …. how big is the D750 DX crop versus the 24MP DX D7100

In DX mode on the D750 you get about 10Mb, I mean 10Mp. ;) :LOL:

excuse my MB and MP ….. but you know what I mean
No probs, just couldn't let it go. ;) :LOL:

I agree @F/1.4 ...great review of the D750 with a focus on Wedding Photography I think.

http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-d750-review
Still turning the money over in my pocket regarding a d750.
What specific demands does a camera put in weddings? I'm still using a d700 and enjoy it's AF, ease of use and ISO upto 2200. Any improvement on these will be welcome, as well as a reduction in weight and shutter noise. Shame I can't use my stash of batteries, Chargers and mb-d10!

In DX mode on the D750 you get about 10Mb, I mean 10Mp. ;) :LOL:

Thanks

So with the D7100 you can get up to 24Mp on the image compared with up to 10Mp with the D750 in DX mode ….so if you are cropping the image to the same "size" the D7100 will always have over twice as many pixel on the image as the one from the D750

and if If start with the approximate assumption that 1MP = 1MB - (but can be different)
Presumably pixel density = fine detail

it would be good to see a comparison, like for like

Last edited:
D750 isnt just pulling in d810/d610 users. I changed from a d4 and several guys i know have sold their 5dmk3s and gone d750.

Weddings are a good testing ground for a camera imo. Fast and accurate AF is a must. Low light ability is pushed to the limit. Colours have to be impeccable. DR and shadow recovery (for me at least) has to be superb. Wedding togs shoot action, portraits, lanscapes and low light so a good allrounder is key. For me the d4 is the best allrounder in terms of ability and iq that ive used, but the d750's size, weight and price given the features puts it on top for me, as a wedding cam.

Change of tact, maybe, hopefully. User 1 and User 2 settings. Anyone willing to share what they use and why on their D750 with a relative rookie to the photo game.

Likes on offer :)

I personally, don't use this setting. Preferring to change either the aperture or speed as required but I'm open to ideas.

The only time I used these banks was for off camera flash etc. Never really bothered with them in a long time

The U1 and U2 settings are a godsend. I absolutely love them. In general photography I have U1 set to fully manual and U2 set to A with auto ISO (and obviously, all my preferred focus and metering modes etc). For weddings I often use the U1/U2 for quickly changing between interior and exterior setups or other highly contrasting scenes where I want to change settings drastically and quickly eg. I'll have U1 set up for an aisle shot and U2 set up for outside (I'll meter and set this just before they walk down the aisle) so I can quickly change as I leave the church. It allows me to capture action more quickly and often more accurately than before.

For all the derision the D750 got for it's 'amateur' MASP dial, for me it's a trump card over the pro bodies because of the U1/U2 settings.

Change of tact, maybe, hopefully. User 1 and User 2 settings. Anyone willing to share what they use and why on their D750 with a relative rookie to the photo game.

Likes on offer :)
I use them - I have to shoot in a badly lit studio with very little notice quite often so I've set up U1 with exactly the settings I need. It means that whatever I've been doing, I'm good to go quickly.

I use them.... U1 is set for back button focus using AE-L with a set ISO and aperture for when I do bird photography(which isn't that often actually, but it's handy to have it set up)

The U1 and U2 modes is one of the best things of the 'not-pro' dial (this I don't understand), I have ASM set to my landscape settings, so AF-S single point, auto ISO off etc, RAW, U1 for action/wildlife/portrait, so AF-C, auto ISO on etc, then U2 as a more powerful P mode by having the camera set to A but with AF-S, auto ISO turned on, JPEG, Active lighting turned on etc.

Well, I seem to have a foreign body in my viewfinder, looks like a bit of plastic swarf and is around 6mm long, it's too thick and dark to be a hair. Bit dissapointed after three days use.

Will see what Tina has to say.

D750 isnt just pulling in d810/d610 users. I changed from a d4 and several guys i know have sold their 5dmk3s and gone d750.

Weddings are a good testing ground for a camera imo. Fast and accurate AF is a must. Low light ability is pushed to the limit. Colours have to be impeccable. DR and shadow recovery (for me at least) has to be superb. Wedding togs shoot action, portraits, lanscapes and low light so a good allrounder is key. For me the d4 is the best allrounder in terms of ability and iq that ive used, but the d750's size, weight and price given the features puts it on top for me, as a wedding cam.

Most of these qualities are exactly what I'm after, albeit I don't do weddings.

Well, I seem to have a foreign body in my viewfinder, looks like a bit of plastic swarf and is around 6mm long, it's too thick and dark to be a hair. Bit dissapointed after three days use.

Do it ASAP mate any you'll just get a brand new one sent to you or your money back

Understand your disappointment. If that bit of swaff moves and gets stuck under the mirror mechanism it's going to cause a major issue. Defect needs reporting. Tina is as good as gold. This should all be resolved in 14 days.

Do it ASAP mate any you'll just get a brand new one sent to you or your money back

Understand your disappointment. If that bit of swaff moves and gets stuck under the mirror mechanism it's going to cause a major issue. Defect needs reporting. Tina is as good as gold. This should all be resolved in 14 days.

I have sent an email to Tina this afternoon, is she UK or HK based? Will see what she comes back with, I want either a new camera or my money back.

Back