Nikon D750 & D780

Both Gary and I posted up our thoughts on the d750 after only a day or two of use so a week is surely enough time to be able to make some valid assessment.

Well, it seems as if they want me to send my camera back to Canon for repair, thats what they have suggested anyway:eek: Something has been lost in translation, Welsh and HK English/Chinese sounds a recipe for disaster..:D

They got back to me very quickly, so good service so far.

they want me to send my camera back to Canon for repair.

Is that wise? :eek:. They obviously don't understand Welsh!

fwiw, I had a bit of debris in my D750 viewfinder as well. Think it was stuck on the focus screen on the inside. Nikon removed it for me.

Last edited:
Well, it seems as if they want me to send my camera back to Canon for repair, thats what they have suggested anyway:eek: Something has been lost in translation, Welsh and HK English/Chinese sounds a recipe for disaster..:D

They got back to me very quickly, so good service so far.
Youre within your rights and their terms to ask for a refund or replacement http://panamoz.com/index.php/faq/#warranty

Youre within your rights and their terms to ask for a refund or replacement http://panamoz.com/index.php/faq/#warranty

They have just come back to me again and I have asked for a refund. They are arranging for TNT to collect tomorrow.

I might wait now until after Christmas to buy another one, depends how long they take to put the cash back into my account.

Had mine within 24 hours of them receiving the D810 back in HK.

How long did the whole process take for you.?

Just had the email with the 12 page documents I need to send camera back with.

Printed off the forms and let Tina know when I wanted it picked up and she arranged the pickup ... TNT came, filled out the forms and took the package, then 24 hours after received in HK and my bank details were provided the money was back in my account - couldn't have been easier really :)

They have just come back to me again and I have asked for a refund. They are arranging for TNT to collect tomorrow.

I might wait now until after Christmas to buy another one, depends how long they take to put the cash back into my account.

Simon, will you be getting another D750 or going back to the Fuji? Still stirring in my mind if I go for an XT-1 or a D750. Not much in price difference in Panamoz with the XT-1 + 18-135 lens and the D750 with lens.

Printed off the forms and let Tina know when I wanted it picked up and she arranged the pickup ... TNT came, filled out the forms and took the package, then 24 hours after received in HK and my bank details were provided the money was back in my account - couldn't have been easier really :)

Thanks Gramps.

Simon, will you be getting another D750 or going back to the Fuji? Still stirring in my mind if I go for an XT-1 or a D750. Not much in price difference in Panamoz with the XT-1 + 18-135 lens and the D750 with lens.

Jim,

Both great cameras for different reasons. The AF focus and tracking on the D750 far exceeds the X-T1. There is also the established lens and creative flash system. If this is important to you this then this is your best bet, for anything else the X-T1 is a really nice camera and has a superb sensor, there is also a new firmware update in 6 days times which is going to be useful. Fuji's XF lenses are optically perfect.

In summary, take a good look at both specs and consider what you want to shoot mostly. That should help you make an informed decision.

The X-T1 was my lightweight go anywhere camera, but since the lightweight D750 came out its a bit like 'Woody' in Toy Story - left behind.

To be honest I have some doubts about the Nikon and I think for my use the JPEGS aren't any better than the XT1 IMO, although I was using better glass on the Fuji. I have been a little disapointed, perhaps I was expecting too much and I haven't been comparing properly due to the old glass I have been using on the Nikon.

My plan was to get a 300mm f4 to use on the Nikon by say March next year, so maybe I'm a little critical with the Nikon with the glass I have been using, a Sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4 and a Nikon 75-300mm. I had this Nikon lens on my D7000 and for me it was a fantastic performer and I also used on a D700 for a week when I borrowed my mates camera., To me my Fuji 50-230mm seems to have a more pleasing output... The Nikon lens I have now, is maybe a little softer than my old one or the D750 is way too good for it. One of the reasons I also bought it, was it has a built in tripod collar as I was using for birds in the garden on a tripod.

I have taken about 300 RAWS and I will process them next week in LR and see how they come out, I will have a better idea then. The Nikon software is so slow on my computer I have removed it.

I thought the AF and low light performance on the Fuji XT1 were good until I tried the Nikon, you can't compare them, the Nikon blows the Fuji out of the water.

So in summary I'm up in the air at the moment. I think I will try another D750 as Nikon gives the reach over Fuji with their lens availability, which I want. I may go to Carmarthen Cameras to see if they have a 300mm f4 to try on the body and see the output with better glass.

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure now:D

Last edited:
To be honest I have some doubts about the Nikon and I think for my use the JPEGS aren't any better than the XT1 IMO, although I was using better glass on the Fuji. I have been a little disapointed, perhaps I was expecting too much and I haven't been comparing properly due to the old glass I have been using on the Nikon.

My plan was to get a 300mm f4 to use on the Nikon by say March next year, so maybe I'm a little critical with the Nikon with the glass I have been using, a Sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4 and a Nikon 75-300mm. I had this Nikon lens on my D7000 and for me it was a fantastic performer and I also used on a D700 for a week when I borrowed my mates camera., To me my Fuji 50-230mm seems to have a more pleasing output... The Nikon lens I have now, is maybe a little softer than my old one or the D750 is way too good for it. One of the reasons I also bought it, was it has a built in tripod collar as I was using for birds in the garden on a tripod.

I have taken about 300 RAWS and I will process them next week in LR and see how they come out, I will have a better idea then. The Nikon software is so slow on my computer I have removed it.

I thought the AF and low light performance on the Fuji XT1 were good until I tried the Nikon, you can't compare them, the Nikon blows the Fuji out of the water.

So in summary I'm up in the air at the moment. I think I will try another D750, I may go to Carmarthen Cameras to see if they have a 300mm f4 to try on the body and see the output with better glass.

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure now:D

Could be the glass but id put it down to Fuji jpg being very good and Nikon jpg being mushy and not very good, however, with RAW there is a huge difference IMHO. Id never shoot the D750 in JPG because the RAWs are just so damn good and hold much more detail.

As you know Ive had both, side by side the only reasons I would keep the XT1 is smaller form factor but with primes and equiv aperture lenses for shallow dof there isnt that much difference at all and the Fuji jpg are very good along with its AWB. In every other way my D750 blows the X-T1 away. ISO, resolution, ergonomics, AF, battery life, so pretty much every way possible.

Them 2 lenses you are using on it dude are muck they're not gonna show what the camera can do at all pal

Could be the glass but id put it down to Fuji jpg being very good and Nikon jpg being mushy and not very good,

I'd guess that its a combination of both, any 24mp FF camera is going to show up inadequacies in the glass very quickly and I totally agree about Nikon jpeg's, don't even come close to that of Fuji's.

It will be interesting to see when I process the Nikon RAWS next week. I knew I wasn't buying the best glass but the 75-300mm worked for me previously.

I have invested in this camera first and knew I would need better glass to get the best out of it, I was a bit dissapointed with the JPEG's compared to Fuji and I was probably expecting more. I know the Fuji JPEG's were good but didn't expect the Nikon to be so bad?

You live and learn.

It will be interesting to see when I process the Nikon RAWS next week. I knew I wasn't buying the best glass but the 75-300mm worked for me previously.

I have invested in this camera first and knew I would need better glass to get the best out of it, I was a bit dissapointed with the JPEG's compared to Fuji and I was probably expecting more. I know the Fuji JPEG's were good but didn't expect the Nikon to be so bad?

You live and learn.
You seem to live in a state of confusion - REALLY look forward to ANY images you post . 300mm NEXT year !! why not get (too late now) didn't you get decent glass to go with your 750 ! You are probably a retailers worst nightmare.

You seem to live in a state of confusion - REALLY look forward to ANY images you post . 300mm NEXT year !! why not get (too late now) didn't you get decent glass to go with your 750 ! You are probably a retailers worst nightmare.

In english please!

I bought a camera and after 3 days use it has devolped a fault, so I am sending it back. And I have written my opinion comparing JPEG's.

As for buying expensive glass now, I am unable to work due to disabilities so I can't afford to put things on plastic like a lot of other people do and we have to save cash for items I buy. If that makes me a retailers nightmare then so be it.

Last edited:
I received my D750 today. Just done some very brief initial testing and it's very impressive indeed - the AF capabilities in virtually complete darkness are astonishing - and the outer AF points are damn near as good as the 9 in the middle, they just 'work' - truly superb AF. :)

Last edited:
I'm still holding fire on ordering one from Panamoz, maybe after Christmas now, I have the f4 300, 70-200 VRII and a 24-70 f2.8 all bought on here in the past year and am looking forward to seeing how they perform on the D750 compared to my D7100.
I am a little concerned by the quality issues that one or two have had .

I received my D750 today. Just done some very brief initial testing and it's very impressive indeed - the AF capabilities in virtually complete darkness are astonishing - and the outer AF points are damn near as good as the 9 in the middle, they just 'work' - truly superb AF. :)
I quit shooting pro rugby early this year using a D4 and D3S and if i ever took it up again theres absolutely zero doubt that i would buy 2 x D750's rather than a D3s/D4/4s, to me, the D750 AF kicks the ass of all those cameras and the high ISO handling is better as well, 6.5fps might hold some pros back but then i never did scatter gun, i preempted the action and fired short bursts.

The only thing which would concern me using it to shoot rugby would be slight misgivings about slightly lesser build quality

Further to my previous post about AF in near darkness, thought I'd test the dynamic range/shadow recovery too. I decided to push the camera to the limit, and took a photo out of a back window (it won't win any awards....), exposure compensation at -5EV (yes, that's 5 stops!).

Below are three images - the original, the adjusted one after PP, and a 100% crop. 24-120 f/4G lens, 1/20th, 120mm, f/4.5, ISO 50. The light was really poor too. Pretty impressive stuff. Yes, it looks a little iffy at 100% - but it was 5 stops underexposed!

Thats a bit harsh. His camera is genuinely faulty, do you expect him to keep it as it is?

Further to my previous post about AF in near darkness, thought I'd test the dynamic range/shadow recovery too. I decided to push the camera to the limit, and took a photo out of a back window (it won't win any awards....), exposure compensation at -5EV (yes, that's 5 stops!).

Below are three images - the original, the adjusted one after PP, and a 100% crop. 24-120 f/4G lens, 1/20th, 120mm, f/4.5, ISO 50. The light was really poor too. Pretty impressive stuff. Yes, it looks a little iffy at 100% - but it was 5 stops underexposed!

Similar have been posted before by Ross Harvey, If they don't make you want the camera I dont know what will. How many cameras can do that?

That is impressive (and one of the reasons I've ordered the camera) I'd love to see a similar example at say iso 1600, to see how the DR is when shooting in more tricky situations.

Whoa them recovery shots make my mk3 I had look prehistoric

Hi All,

I'm still seriously considering selling my D7000 and Fuji XPro-1 in for the D750 and have been looking at the Panamoz website as I have ordered from there before.

They are offering it with the 24-80 or the 24-120 for approx £140 more. Has anyone got any history with these lenses? Is it worth getting the bundle or better to get body only and look elsewhere for a decent lens? The only lens that I have that is not DX is a 50mm 1.8d. I have a 16-85mm nikon which is really nice on the D7k but don't think this will show what the D750 can do in all its glory.

I'm after a walkaround lens really to start me off in the jump to full frame. I do like landscape, wildlife and portraits so I'm thinking the 24-120 would be a better start? Any suggestions or info otherwise?

Thanks, Jim.

Jim, the 24 120 is getting good write ups for the versatility/performance/price …… presumably they would not bundle it with the D750 if it were to show the D750 in a negative light.

The bundle price is cheaper than buying the lens separately - I don't think you have much to loose by buying the bundle …..you can always sell the lens …. I'd give it a try

Jim the 16-85 is not a full frame lens
Yes I know, but from reading the specs, the D750 can shoot in cropped mode and therefore this DX lens would work, which is why it would not be showing the D750 capabilities off to the max. If I have understood everything correct?!

Anyone else's teeth itch with the phrase 'walkabout lens'?
Apologies for the 'walkaround' phrase, but we all know what I mean. I 'm after a 'versatile' lens for the initial jump into the world of FX.
Jim, the 24 120 is getting good write ups for the versatility/performance/price …… presumably they would not bundle it with the D750 if it were to show the D750 in a negative light.

The bundle price is cheaper than buying the lens separately - I don't think you have much to loose by buying the bundle …..you can always sell the lens …. I'd give it a try
Thanks, and it looks like it would be a fairly sensible first lens so I think it would be worth the extra.

Does anyone find the max shutter speed of 1/4000th limiting

I take bird shots - "walkabout" lens is Nikon 300mm f4 it is non VR, so you need a highish shutter speed …… f4 is as good an aperture as anything with the 300 .. and anyway it can create a good background

I looked at my shots and quite a few are at 1/3000th sec to 1/8000th sec

In fact just walked out and taken the following - dullish day, mid winter, clear sky, brightish, but not particularly so ………. they are digging up the vines at the back of our house

Av priority - shot at f4 and ISO400 ….. shutter speed came out at 1/3000th …… just a normal situation

Bright summer sunshine?

Volvo.jpg

Last edited:
Or Tog

Headbutts wall.

The 1/4000 can be a issue in high sunmer but typically stopping down to f2.8 is enough.

???

Presumably had I used my F2.8 300mm at f2.8 the shutter speed would have been 1/6000th sec …. on this a dullish day

Last edited:
Back