Nikon D750 & D780

In fact just walked out and taken the following - dullish day, mid winter, clear sky, brightish, but not particularly so ………. they are digging up the vines at the back of our house

Av priority - shot at f4 and ISO400 ….. shutter speed came out at 1/3000th …… just a normal situation
ISO 100 would bring that down by two stops ... approx. 1/750th ...

I had a number of gripes about the D750 - namely the non D700 body style, the lack of a few switches, the 'amateur dial' on top and the size... in addition I was concerned about the 1/4000. Ok, only had it a few weeks but looking back very few pics over the last 4 years were above 1/4000. Certainly dropping to 100 ISO will get rid of that problem, in the case above Bill, going to f5.6 would be fine (and possibly be sharper as no lens is ever at its best wide open).

The gripes I have still remain but are MASSIVELY overshadowed by the camera - the MP is perfect, the DR, ISO performance... maybe 1 or 2 shots a year will be affected by not having faster SS, but I can live with that.

Hi All,

I'm still seriously considering selling my D7000 and Fuji XPro-1 in for the D750 and have been looking at the Panamoz website as I have ordered from there before.

They are offering it with the 24-80 or the 24-120 for approx £140 more. Has anyone got any history with these lenses? Is it worth getting the bundle or better to get body only and look elsewhere for a decent lens? The only lens that I have that is not DX is a 50mm 1.8d. I have a 16-85mm nikon which is really nice on the D7k but don't think this will show what the D750 can do in all its glory.

I'm after a walkaround lens really to start me off in the jump to full frame. I do like landscape, wildlife and portraits so I'm thinking the 24-120 would be a better start? Any suggestions or info otherwise?

Thanks, Jim.

Do you mean the 24-85 or 24-70? I presume it's the 85 due to cost difference?

You would expect the 24-120 to be more versatile for two of your subjects mentioned, 24 landscape, 120 portraits and with the extra reach and constant f4 at the long end. The 24-85 is at f4.5 @ 85mm. It's usually always better value to buy a lens as part of a kit and it will give you a FF zoom lens to start off with, you have your prime. The next lenses up are the Nikon 24-70 or Tamron 24-70mm VC which are a lot more if buying individually and new. I used to have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 which I found to be an excellent lens and great value, not sure if they still sell this with the newer VC model out.

Edit: Just checked and they have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and the price comes to £1451 with this lens. I think Gary Coyle uses this lens on FF and recommends. I had it on my D7000 and found it great, another option for you??
Link> http://panamoz.com/index.php/lens/t...-ld-aspherical-if-for-nikon-dslr-cameras.html

Last edited:
Do you mean the 24-85 or 24-70? I presume it's the 85 due to cost difference?

You would expect the 24-120 to be more versatile for two of your subjects mentioned, 24 landscape, 120 portraits and with the extra reach and constant f4 at the long end. The 24-85 is at f4.5 @ 85mm. It's usually always better value to buy a lens as part of a kit and it will give you a FF zoom lens to start off with, you have your prime. The next lenses up are the Nikon 24-70 or Tamron 24-70mm VC which are a lot more if buying individually and new. I used to have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 which I found to be an excellent lens and great value, not sure if they still sell this with the newer VC model out.

Edit: Just checked and they have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and the price comes to £1451 with this lens. I think Gary Coyle uses this lens on FF and recommends. I had it on my D7000 and found it great, another option for you??
Link> http://panamoz.com/index.php/lens/t...-ld-aspherical-if-for-nikon-dslr-cameras.html

I use the 28-75 f2.8 on a d800. It is great for me. It's the non bim (has an aperture ring) one so I don't think you can buy them new anymore!

A lot of shots on my Flickr with it.

S

Has anyone who has got a D4S compared the auto focus between that and the D750?
I owned one very briefly a while ago, i cant remember the D4S being better, it might have been a smidgen quicker to lock on in good conditions but in very low light the D750 im pretty sure is better, the D750 is however better than the D3S and D4 without a shadow of doubt and i owned both of those a long time.

However, ive only used the D750 with the 70-200mm VRII and 24-85mm VR, other bodies may or may not be better with different lenses.

Has anyone who has got a D4S compared the auto focus between that and the D750?

I'm still waiting for my D750 (36hrs from HK to UK, then it was 'missed' and not put on the van for delivery so is stuck in Reading over the W/E), but what I can say with confidence is that the D810 low light focusing (first dance for me) is noticeably better than my old D3s's, and the D750 is supposedly even better. I normally shoot OCF for the first dance and often asking the cameras to focus in virtual darkness, as long as you pick your AF point carefully, the D810 seems to nail it on virtually every shot, very impressive.

Last edited:
Have been getting a real run around from Hong Kong suppliers twice now on Tamron 70-200 VC lens. Can anyone comment on the performance of the Nikon 70-200 VR1 on the D750 ? Edge sharpness doesn't really matter so much but id like to know how this lens fares on a 24mp body. Thanks guys

Beautiful day here....took the D750 to our country park this morning and promptly instructed my daughter (and our dog!) to run as quickly as they could directly towards the camera whilst I fired a few bursts. I tried the AF-C group focusing, as well as single point (sometimes off centre too), and used an 85mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G and my trusty 24-85 VR.

The results are amazing - I'd say 95% of the shots are in proper sharp focus - and I shot them all wide open on all three lenses. Yes the light was very good - bright crisp winter sunshine - but I wasn't expecting the 85mm or 50mm lenses to keep up with the motion at f/1.8 as it's a pretty narrow depth of field at that aperture and the former is clearly a portrait lens and not known for super fast AF. Very pleased with the AF on this camera - it's a very obvious improvement over the D600/610 and also the D700 (I've had all three and shot similar photos in the past).

Mighty impressive, given the lenses and apertures used (especially with the primes).

First two are the 85mm, at f/1.8, the third one is the 50mm at f/1.8. Converted from RAW using Aperture.

Last edited:
Beautiful day here....took the D750 to our country park this morning and promptly instructed my daughter (and our dog!) to run as quickly as they could directly towards the camera whilst I fired a few bursts. I tried the AF-C group focusing, as well as single point (sometimes off centre too), and used an 85mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G and my trusty 24-85 VR.

The results are amazing - I'd say 95% of the shots are in proper sharp focus - and I shot them all wide open on all three lenses. Yes the light was very good - bright crisp winter sunshine - but I wasn't expecting the 85mm or 50mm lenses to keep up with the motion at f/1.8 as it's a pretty narrow depth of field at that aperture and the former is clearly a portrait lens and not known for super fast AF. Very pleased with the AF on this camera - it's a very obvious improvement over the D600/610 and also the D700 (I've had all three and shot similar photos in the past).

I'll post a couple of examples shortly when I get a chance. Mighty impressive, given the lenses and apertures used (especially with the primes).

It would be good to have a "post your D750 images" thread

Beautiful day here....took the D750 to our country park this morning and promptly instructed my daughter (and our dog!) to run as quickly as they could directly towards the camera whilst I fired a few bursts.

Fantastic photos, lovely to see some 'real world' photos starting to appear in this thread. The little 1.8g lenses really are great bits of kit, I wouldnt have expected them to manage those shots you've posted to be honest.

Morning,

I've brought from Panamoz before and never paid any import tax or anything, and I now want to order a D750 but one of my friends that I'd probably get hit with the Tax - is this the case? Has anyone else had to pay on top of the Panamoz price?

THanks, Jim.

Morning,

I've brought from Panamoz before and never paid any import tax or anything, and I now want to order a D750 but one of my friends that I'd probably get hit with the Tax - is this the case? Has anyone else had to pay on top of the Panamoz price?

THanks, Jim.

Not going to happen. Tax is covered by Panamoz. Have a look at their terms and conditions.

I have been fine with two camera purchases over the last few months.

To those with a faulty grey import, did you check the number of shutter activations on receiving the camera? I have a D750 on its way from Panamoz and I think that's going to be the first thing I do.

That's the 4th reported grey with a defect I have seen on here, light leaks, wonky control wheel and
now a focus button not working .Why are they £500 less when all the duties are being paid .No reply required.LOL

The wonky control dial was a UK sourced camera from amazon.

Last edited:
To those with a faulty grey import, did you check the number of shutter activations on receiving the camera? I have a D750 on its way from Panamoz and I think that's going to be the first thing I do.

Yes and it was exactly the number of shots that I had taken. I done the same with UK cameras. Some crappy uk retailers could do with having service like panamoz, I sent them a faulty item back and they sent me the tracking details of the replacement the day the defective item was lifted. Not many uk companies would do that, they trusted me, something unheard of in uks pants customer service

it doesn't really matter where the camera's came from, the point is there seems to be far too many people experiencing different issues - its not a problem with Panamoz (they have been A1), more with Nikon QC and manufacturing processes.

Last edited:
Yes and it was exactly the number of shots that I had taken. I done the same with UK cameras. Some crappy uk retailers could do with having service like panamoz, I sent them a faulty item back and they sent me the tracking details of the replacement the day the defective item was lifted. Not many uk companies would do that, they trusted me, something unheard of in uks pants customer service
It's reassuring to hear about their service when things go wrong.

My experiences which I have copied from the other thread, save me typing it all out again.

"I was one of the ones who had a faulty camera, (looked to me as plastic swarf in VF). I contacted Panamoz last Thursday (11th Dec) who initially asked me to send for repair which I said no. They then arranged for collection on Friday (12th) which happend. I have had an email from Tina today (Mon 15th) asking for my bank account details to refund the money as the camera has shown up in HK.

I haven't had a chance to update the D750 thread, but I must say, the customer service from a HK company has been nothing but faultless. I would say better service than some UK companies.

I have asked to be sent a replacement, which hasn't been acknowledged yet, probably due to time difference."

Back on topic anyhow, are there any long fast primes worth trying on the D750? I'm missing the Sony Alpha Zeiss 135mm 1.8 quite badly, amazing colours and bokeh, great build and decent enough AF to shoot moving cars.

Budget would ideally be more no more than I bought my Zeiss for used (a grand).

I had a number of gripes about the D750 - namely the non D700 body style, the lack of a few switches, the 'amateur dial' on top and the size... in addition I was concerned about the 1/4000. Ok, only had it a few weeks but looking back very few pics over the last 4 years were above 1/4000. Certainly dropping to 100 ISO will get rid of that problem, in the case above Bill, going to f5.6 would be fine (and possibly be sharper as no lens is ever at its best wide open).

The gripes I have still remain but are MASSIVELY overshadowed by the camera - the MP is perfect, the DR, ISO performance... maybe 1 or 2 shots a year will be affected by not having faster SS, but I can live with that.

Can see the body size/shape not pleasing some, but I really really REALLY don't get the gripes with the dial. It's superb and much better than the D700 equivalent! WB and Qual can be quickly changed from back of camera (and these aren't things I ever had to access much on my D700 bodies). ISO can be accessed from back of camera or a reassigned REC button - that's way more comfortable than the D700 ISO button. Then, the trump card, is the U1 and U2 settings. What are people missing with the new dial?!?

Can see the body size/shape not pleasing some, but I really really REALLY don't get the gripes with the dial. It's superb and much better than the D700 equivalent! WB and Qual can be quickly changed from back of camera (and these aren't things I ever had to access much on my D700 bodies). ISO can be accessed from back of camera or a reassigned REC button - that's way more comfortable than the D700 ISO button. Then, the trump card, is the U1 and U2 settings. What are people missing with the new dial?!?

I think youll find its mostly people who have never even tried/used the camera that are whining.

Back on topic anyhow, are there any long fast primes worth trying on the D750? I'm missing the Sony Alpha Zeiss 135mm 1.8 quite badly, amazing colours and bokeh, great build and decent enough AF to shoot moving cars.

Budget would ideally be more no more than I bought my Zeiss for used (a grand).

If there is I'd like to hear about it too, sick of carrying my 70-200 around. Only thing I can find are the longer macro lenses and the 135 dc, which is a little long in the tooth for me. There were rumours of Sigma releasing a 135 a while ago.

I like the dial too, the camera feels well made and solid, which surprised me a little considering its size.

Last edited:
The mode dial is fab! Despite shooting with a D700 for 6 years, I still sometimes turn the most command wheel the wrong way sometimes meaning it takes a few seconds to change from aperture priority to manual etc. Now, I can switch modes much easier and quicker.

The custom modes are really handy too for quickly preparing for specific scenarios which require vastly different settings. Having these available mean I can switch in and out of these settings with minimal disruption.

The mode dial is fab! Despite shooting with a D700 for 6 years, I still sometimes turn the most command wheel the wrong way sometimes meaning it takes a few seconds to change from aperture priority to manual etc. Now, I can switch modes much easier and quicker.

The custom modes are really handy too for quickly preparing for specific scenarios which require vastly different settings. Having these available mean I can switch in and out of these settings with minimal disruption.

Yeah, I'm the same. After years of using nikon cameras I still make mistakes changing between A and M using the button and wheel combo. The D750 dial is way simpler and easier to use without looking in my opinion.

Is it the presence of an AUTO setting that makes some call it amateur? Here's an idea; don't set it to AUTO and hey presto! You're a pro! :woot:

Back