Nikon D750 & D780

50mm f1.8g arrived today, Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX DG coming tomorrow, just need a wider prime now and I'm all set,......... until the next bout of GAS :LOL:

I'm confused - I thought you were not happy with the 50?!

I don't mind the leaf. Although it is a bit of a distraction it does cover part of the leg.

How big was the spider?
Body about 8-10mm, I would guess the head was less than 1mm :eek:

I'm confused - I thought you were not happy with the 50?!
I'm not entirely, but it's good enough for what I want to shoot at the mo. If I find that I do start using it more then I will look at the Sigma Art in the future.

Another Macro of a teeny spider in my garden. The body was no more than 10mm, I guess the head was less than 1mm :eek: No idea what type of spider it is?

DSC_4145-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Lovely shot, it's a wolf spider,lovely things they are, the female carries her baby sac about all day/night and when they are born they all hitch a ride on mum's back/body, if one falls off, she'll wait until it gets back on, BTW, they can carry many hundreds of babies at once.

Body about 8-10mm, I would guess the head was less than 1mm :eek:

I'm not entirely, but it's good enough for what I want to shoot at the mo. If I find that I do start using it more then I will look at the Sigma Art in the future.
Any chance you could show me the full image you took?

Feel free to pm me a link directly. I'm intrigued to see what the original one was and how it's turn into the final one.

Feel free to pm me a link directly. I'm intrigued to see what the original one was and how it's turn into the final one.
Will post it up later (y)

Will post it up later (y)

Here's the original RAW
DSC_4145_zpszpqlyxv6.jpg

And then the re-edit with the leaf removed

DSC_4145-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Edit: Can anyone see the re-edit, I just get a red cross?

Last edited:
Lovely macro work @snerkler and those portraits are nice @phil_b with the fourth my favourite. Due to the lower viewpoint.

argh... think some of them might look a bit too dark... must stop working at 100% screen brightness!
Have you not bought a screen calibrator yet? ;) TBH the only one that looks a bit dull is the 4th imo. Nice pics, I would crop the window one though so it's symmetrical to please my OCD ;)

Last edited:
@markgodley just thinking, your 28-105mm isn't a true macro as it's only 1:2 rather than 1:1 which will be why you're struggling to get as close (y)

Last edited:
I is impressed, very good shots [emoji106]
Thanks very much.

I didn't. I assumed macros were 1:1 as a minimum, then 2:1 and greater.
A lot of zoom lenses with a 'macro' function are not 1:1, generally they're 1:2 or less sometimes. I only know of one macro that has greater than 1:1 (but I'm sure there'll be more) and that's the Canon that has a whopping 5:1 magnification :eek:

Thanks very much.

I only know of one macro that has greater than 1:1 (but I'm sure there'll be more) and that's the Canon that has a whopping 5:1 magnification :eek:
Have you not heard of the Venus or Loawa lens, 2:1 60mm but full manual but very sharp as it goes.

Anyone used the kenko extension tubes set?

Used seem to be about £40 and auto focus, wondering if this would be a solution for my 28-105mm lens

GAS....
I sometimes use tubes but not electronic ones but that dont bother me, non the less they are useful and would help you somewhat, have you thought about a Raynox 150 or 250 ? the results are still good although they are a little more difficult to use.

I sometimes use tubes but not electronic ones but that dont bother me, non the less they are useful and would help you somewhat, have you thought about a Raynox 150 or 250 ? the results are still good although they are a little more difficult to use.
I have, but arn't they manual focus only?

I'm sure the price of them is pretty much the same as the extension tube set too.

Hello, still pondering a D750 upgrade from my current D90.....

Is now as good a time as any to buy new? Or should I hold on for a d810 announcement?

I'm getting this primarily to help with Astrophotgraphy, specifically milky way shots, what budget wide angle fx options are there? Looking at the samyang 24mm 1.4 but even that is quite pricey.

Thanks in advance

Is now as good a time as any to buy new? Or should I hold on for a d810 announcement?

I'm getting this primarily to help with Astrophotgraphy, specifically milky way shots, what budget wide angle fx options are there? Looking at the samyang 24mm 1.4 but even that is quite pricey.

Thanks in advance
Bit of a lottery as to what prices are going to do tbh. Chances are there'll be some offers on the D750 when the replacement comes out, but as they haven't even announced the D810 replacement yet so I don't expect that to be any time soon, although it is Nikon so you never know ;) I have had an email this week regarding £150 trade in bonus but not sure if this is across the board or shop specific. I think the email was from Harrison's IIRC.

Thanks in advance
You could get a grey model, price is fair tbh. I have a Irix 15mm f2.4. Seems OK and price was good, think you can get one for less than £400 now. Worth a look up.

Thanks in advance

Let's be honest, the new D8*0 will be priced >£3,000 and so a grey D750 at half that price is a great deal. Depends what's really important to you. Coming from a D90 what lenses have you? If you have £3k to spend I'd buy a nice lens or two to go with a 750.

Back