Nikon D750 & D780

Currently the D750 is £1600 new, like @Livin The Dream says the D810 replacement is likely to be £3k+. The biggest factor on price is going to be how well the value of the pound fairs, that's been the cause of price increases over the last year. This time last year the d750 was around £1385 UK new ones that at £1590. I honestly can't see a price drop happening the D750 when it's likely to be half the price of the replacement D810. Look at the new d7500 and older D7200 to see what's happened when a new model was introduced, no price drops by the looks of it.

You could get a grey model, price is fair tbh. I have a Irix 15mm f2.4. Seems OK and price was good, think you can get one for less than £400 now. Worth a look up.
Do you use it for Astrophotgraphy? If so, is the 2.4 enough for you?

Let's be honest, the new D8*0 will be priced >£3,000 and so a grey D750 at half that price is a great deal. Depends what's really important to you. Coming from a D90 what lenses have you? If you have £3k to spend I'd buy a nice lens or two to go with a 750.
I have a sigma 17-70 and tokina 11-16mm so nothing compatible. Would probably get a cheap 50mm to start off with

Do you use it for Astrophotgraphy? If so, is the 2.4 enough for you?
I have done but as I don't have a clue and they turned out crap, saying that, there is a guy on my fb that uses it for astro and all seems OK, 15 to 17 secs max though. 2.4 is enough imo unless you have lots more £'s to spend on a 1.4/1.8.
Don't forget that the 750 handles high iso really well so no problem there.

Last edited:
I have a sigma 17-70 and tokina 11-16mm so nothing compatible. Would probably get a cheap 50mm to start off with

Invest in lenses, bodies won't last as long. Unless you really need the extra resolution, what other benefit is there?

Heres one I took a short while ago, no idea on the ID of the spider but it has boxing gloves on.
Was on the bedroom wall, the O/H didnt want it in so after this, off it went out.

Spider with gloves-3 by Graham, on Flickr

Saw a few insects and spiders I've never seen before today.

Not sure what this fella is? I'm guessing it was about 12mm in length and about 2mm wide.

DSC_4614-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4645-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Not sure what this spider is, but it was smaller than the wolf spiders I've been shooting recently, guessing about 10-12mm in length including the legs.

DSC_4733-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4737-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4738-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

6. Another Wolf Spider

DSC_4726-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

7.And a Zebra Back Jumping Spider. Jeez these things are small, and move fast.

DSC_4743-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4744-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

Saw a few insects and spiders I've never seen before today.

Not sure what this fella is? I'm guessing it was about 12mm in length and about 2mm wide.

DSC_4614-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4645-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Not sure what this spider is, but it was smaller than the wolf spiders I've been shooting recently, guessing about 10-12mm in length including the legs.

DSC_4733-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4737-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4738-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

6. Another Wolf Spider

DSC_4726-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

7.And a Zebra Back Jumping Spider. Jeez these things are small, and move fast.

DSC_4743-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4744-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

Beetlebigbum and spikybity

Meet my parents new fluffy friend - pretty much an exposure nightmare on the hottest day of the year so far ha.

The second one is at ISO 5000! And the last one is the 58 wide open, I'm loving this lens already. A great combo

34982292850_2fac079e14_b.jpg

35368732845_c9bba1bb35_b.jpg

34526124744_74c3ae1165_b.jpg

Last edited:
@snerkler - yes quite a lot due to the harsh sunlight. Should of shot underexposed really
Sometimes highlights will clip, it's just the nature of exposure. I used to do what you did and drag the highlights right down but I realised that it gives a very muted looking image. I tend not to change the highlights too much these days (helps to get the exposure right of course ;)) but if there's an area that is causing particularly bad clipping I tend to brush in highlight and/or whites reduction in so not to affect the tonal appearance of the whole image. Of course you have to be subtle with the brushes too.

Meet my parents new fluffy friend - pretty much an exposure nightmare on the hottest day of the year so far ha.

The second one is at ISO 5000! And the last one is the 58 wide open, I'm loving this lens already. A great combo

34982292850_2fac079e14_b.jpg

35368732845_c9bba1bb35_b.jpg

34526124744_74c3ae1165_b.jpg
Such a cutie. Did you spot meter for these?

Such a cutie. Did you spot meter for these?

Nah, usual shooting in aperture priority with exp comp to suit. Light was all over the place and he wasn't for posing.

The second one should have been a little lower in ISO really as still had min shutter at 320 - usually have set at 200 unless I'm shooting something quick.

The second one should have been a little lower in ISO really as still had min shutter at 320 - usually have set at 200 unless I'm shooting something quick.
Something really quick... like a labrador puppy unless there is food on offer?

Few shots of a jumping spider eating breakfast this morning. Can't believe it, never seen one of these before then see one two days running. These things are SMALL, about 4-5mm in length. Here is having breakfast, god knows how small the fly is :eek:
These are pretty much 1:1 crops of 1:1 macro :eek:

Breakfast. DSC_4781-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Breakfast.
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Breakfast.
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
I thought I would ask how long do D750's usually last after getting their first error code? I was out this morning and the first image taken came up with err in the viewfinder after taking it. The camera didn't lock up and it did take an image that was slightly over exposed but useable. I'm off to stay on skomer in a few weeks and it would be a pain if it failed whilst their. There isn't time to send it away for the shutter issue before going. I've been putting off sending it in until I actually had a problem, typically it comes up a few weeks before the skomer trip (being a solely photo trip and being stuck on the island for 2 days no camera wouldn't be as much fun).

Last edited:
Yup. Hey ho, I'm not going to go back a version can do manually the few occasions I dip into it.
Odd, mac or PC and which software version? I'm running Sierra on Mac.

Odd, mac or PC and which software version? I'm running Sierra on Mac.

I'm on latest Sierra and latest CC whatever they are (not on pc at mo) Seems to be a known issue reading that thread. They will update not at some point, at least mine has stopped crashing since the last update when syncing across multiple files, that was doing my melon in!

Last edited:
I'm on latest Sierra and latest CC whatever they are (not on pc at mo) Seems to be a known issue reading that thread.
Odd that it works on mine then. You do mean if you got to HSL and click the little cross thing and then place this over a specific part of the image you can drag it up and down on the image to change saturation, hue etc don't you?

Odd that it works on mine then. You do mean if you got to HSL and click the little cross thing and then place this over a specific part of the image you can drag it up and down on the image to change saturation, hue etc don't you?

Yes. I'm sure it worked the other day for
me and the update was a few weeks back? I'll have a look tonight, enjoying this weather [emoji3]

Yes. I'm sure it worked the other day for
me and the update was a few weeks back? I'll have a look tonight, enjoying this weather [emoji3]

If you see the bug when you've selected saturation for example, I found that clicking onto one of the others (hue or luminance) and back again solves it.

I'm sure it will be patched at some point.

Back