Nikon D750 & D780

When you say useable, does the d750 recognise the dx format and reduce the megapixels accordingly, I.e. go into crop mode?

it stays in ff mode and vignettes from just above 15mm, 16 is fine and ive used it with a lee 100x system and 1 filter without vignette (it was the wide angle adapter ring btw) FYI when it vignettes its a hard edge blackout rather than darkening

The corners are a little squishy but useable and frankly no worse than the 16-35 FF i tried out to replace it, i used it for over a year before replacing it with the 15-30 tamron

Last edited:
Thanks both

Some from a WW2 re-enactment event.
I would welcome advice on the pp of the young lady in particular.
These first 2 are small files.

Young lady.jpg Seargeant.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a modified version.

I find the outer focus points (usually use for portraits) are poor on the 750.

Young lady 5 jpeg.jpg

Perhaps a long shot here but has anyone got experience with the 750 and the Sigma 120-300 F2.8 OS (not the new sports lens) ive just picked one up in cracking condition but the OS seems to be unreliable, Sometimes it engages and sometimes it doesn't. It won't engage is live view at all (thought i would zoom in to 1:1 and make doubly sure).

I suspect it may have fallen victim to newer nikon firmwares and it won't take the dock.

Thought i would enquire here before contacting MPB or Sigma directly.

Perhaps a long shot here but has anyone got experience with the 750 and the Sigma 120-300 F2.8 OS (not the new sports lens) ive just picked one up in cracking condition but the OS seems to be unreliable, Sometimes it engages and sometimes it doesn't. It won't engage is live view at all (thought i would zoom in to 1:1 and make doubly sure).

I suspect it may have fallen victim to newer nikon firmwares and it won't take the dock.

Thought i would enquire here before contacting MPB or Sigma directly.
I had a 150-500 sigma and when I bought the D750 I had the same problem with no IS. I think you can send it to sigma for a firmware update, it's about £40 if I remember rightly. I ended up selling mine.

Here is a modified version.

I find the outer focus points (usually use for portraits) are poor on the 750.

View attachment 105310
I like that version better. What do you mean by poor, slow AF, soft? I don't have an issue with mine tbh, even using f1.4 lenses. Granted they can struggle a bit when light's really really poor, but other than that I find them fine :confused:

Might be my technique, but I usually find eyes are sharper when using centre point.
AF speed seems to be the same.
I use the outer one in portrait mode to get in more of the subject.
These were with the 58 at either 2.2 or 2. It was a sunnyish day, so no excuses.

Last edited:
Might be my technique, but I usually find eyes are sharper when using centre point.
AF speed seems to be the same.
I use the outer one in portrait mode to get in more of the subject.
These were with the 58 at either 2.2 or 2. It was a sunnyish day, so no excuses.

Focus shift

Could well be focus shift. Haven't used the 58 on the 610 until earlier and found that focus seemed to shift a little. Have been tweaking the MA, see how it fares next week or so. Also could be the insane AF of the 750 over the 610, possibly another element to it, more testing in better light one evening.

Focus shift
What's focus shift? I imagine you meant that focus shifts slightly between using the centre point and outer points, but what would cause it?

I had a 150-500 sigma and when I bought the D750 I had the same problem with no IS. I think you can send it to sigma for a firmware update, it's about £40 if I remember rightly. I ended up selling mine.

quick update in case you wondered:

just back from sigma (they are about 10 minutes from where i work) and they were kind enough to update the firmware FOC as the lens had been serviced recently and this had not been completed.

The OS now engages everytime but its incredably fuzzy on both my 750 and 500 OS turned off and everything is brilliant, turn it on and instant fuzz :( Within my right to return so it will be going back :(

I have my first outdoor portrait session Monday with my local club. Models are a brother and sister about 11-13.

Any recommendations on any video tutorials that might help?

Make sure their back is to the sun.
Plan what time you do it carefully
Don't have a background that's too busy
Have fun!

Can anyone help.

I often get caught out pasting develop settings to other pictures, and me not realising it applying it to other images (i.e. it seems to like to auto select every image when importing).

I often don't realise until 1 or 2 pictures down the line.. how do you revert them in mass?

I select a bunch of images and right click and reset, but it only does it to one image not all the ones selected.

Can anyone help.

I often get caught out pasting develop settings to other pictures, and me not realising it applying it to other images (i.e. it seems to like to auto select every image when importing).

I often don't realise until 1 or 2 pictures down the line.. how do you revert them in mass?

I select a bunch of images and right click and reset, but it only does it to one image not all the ones selected.
Dunno why it's doing it to all the images unless you have a preset set on import? Anyway in order to mass apply changes you have to be in the library module, and pretty sure you have to be in grid view too. In develop module it will only apply the changes to one image no matter how many you have selected.

Dunno why it's doing it to all the images unless you have a preset set on import? Anyway in order to mass apply changes you have to be in the library module, and pretty sure you have to be in grid view too. In develop module it will only apply the changes to one image no matter how many you have selected.
Thanks i'll try it from the library part.

I haven't applied a preset, just did some adjustments on one image, then selected copy develop settings, the selected another and pasted. Although looked like all images were selected and it applied to them all in the develop section.

Thanks i'll try it from the library part.

I haven't applied a preset, just did some adjustments on one image, then selected copy develop settings, the selected another and pasted. Although looked like all images were selected and it applied to them all in the develop section.
Odd, as I said normally you can't mass edit from the develop module. Wonder how you managed that? Maybe there's a setting somewhere I don't know about.

Odd, as I said normally you can't mass edit from the develop module. Wonder how you managed that? Maybe there's a setting somewhere I don't know about.
If you have copied the settings from one file in Develop you can paste them to as many files as you want to select select. Same with synchronising settings in Develop.

If you have copied the settings from one file in Develop you can paste them to as many files as you want to select select. Same with synchronising settings in Develop.

As @Ed Sutton rightly says you can chose to paste (some or all settings) to selected photos using the Sync button
Thanks, will need to look into the sync button. I normally just use shortcut keys to copy and paste settings.

Sorry another question...

I came home last night and my son was sat at the table making cakes (not real cakes just flour, playdoh and some sprinkles). I could just see the shots so ran upstairs to get my camera.

So he's stood at the table on a chair with a conservatory behind him. I whacked the exp comp down to -0.3 and started firing. I found my camera struggling on occasions with the focus (AF-S) with my 50mm 1.8g. I was stood about 3 foot away, so distance wasn't the issue. Lighting was pretty good, i think i was at about ISO 500 1/160s.

Focus point was on face.

I'll get some shots up later, just wondering as i missed some cracking shots as it wouldn't focus.

Any thing worth changing with regards to the focus setting in the camera or just down to the outer focus points not as sensitive?

I came home last night and my son was sat at the table making cakes (not real cakes just flour, playdoh and some sprinkles). I could just see the shots so ran upstairs to get my camera.

So he's stood at the table on a chair with a conservatory behind him. I whacked the exp comp down to -0.3 and started firing. I found my camera struggling on occasions with the focus (AF-S) with my 50mm 1.8g. I was stood about 3 foot away, so distance wasn't the issue. Lighting was pretty good, i think i was at about ISO 500 1/160s.

Focus point was on face.

I'll get some shots up later, just wondering as i missed some cracking shots as it wouldn't focus.

Any thing worth changing with regards to the focus setting in the camera or just down to the outer focus points not as sensitive?

It's probably the backlight. Was the conservatory bright vs inside?

Last edited:

Focus point was on face.

As Twist says if a subject is heavily backlit (such as someone stood against a window with bright light outside) cameras can struggle to acquire focus.

It's probably the backlight. Was the conservatory bright vs inside?

As Twist says if a subject is heavily backlit (such as someone stood against a window with bright light outside) cameras can struggle to acquire focus.

yep, exactly this.

Any tips on focusing with these scenarios? It wasn't really bad, just 1-2 shots out of 10. Just when somethings not doing what i expect i'd like to know why (regardless if it's user error/technique)

Last edited:
yep, exactly this.

Any tips on focusing with these scenarios? It wasn't really bad, just 1-2 shots out of 10. Just when somethings not doing what i expect i'd like to know why (regardless if it's user error/technique)

All cameras struggle with backlight, nothing you can do except change the conditions.

yep, exactly this.

Not a lot you can do as Twist say. You can use manual focus of course.

There is always the Built-in AF-assist Illuminator (function a:9 ) - you lose the element of surprise and 'The Snapshot' though :)

There is always the Built-in AF-assist Illuminator (function a:9 ) - you lose the element of surprise and 'The Snapshot' though :)
That only works when it's dark though doesn't it, or is there a way to have it activated permanently?

Back