Nikon D750 & D780

That only works when it's dark though doesn't it, or is there a way to have it activated permanently?

Dunno .... I just recall it as an option!

If you can't focus it must be too dark :) :p

That only works when it's dark though doesn't it, or is there a way to have it activated permanently?

Mine is hit and miss! Wouldnt bloody work in a dimly lit church!

Mark,

As above, very nice for some reason I prefer no2 and 7.

Thanks

Finally placed an order for a D750 after a lot of deliberating.....:) would one of the below be ok as a walkabout lens or would I be better to go for the 24mm-100mm vr f4 or something similar?

http://www.wexphotographic.com/niko...3798efa87e09&utm_source=aw#prodthumb-carousel
Depends on your expectations. Nothing wrong with that lens, but not great either. Something like the 24-120mm f4 will be noticeably better, but of course much more expensive. I wouldn't pay the UK price for it though. I paid circa £450 for mine from Panamoz a year or so ago and imo is a very good lens for the money. At £800 or whatever the UK price is it's not great value imo.

The 24-85mm G VR is another good lens. Not quite as good as the 24-120mm but cheaper and lighter.

Depends on your expectations. Nothing wrong with that lens, but not great either. Something like the 24-120mm f4 will be noticeably better, but of course much more expensive. I wouldn't pay the UK price for it though. I paid circa £450 for mine from Panamoz a year or so ago and imo is a very good lens for the money. At £800 or whatever the UK price is it's not great value imo.

The 24-85mm G VR is another good lens. Not quite as good as the 24-120mm but cheaper and lighter.
Thanks, the 24-120mm is actually what I meant. I'm also considering the 24-85mm

Having had all three 'standard' zoom lenses, I can tell you there's bugger all difference in IQ in the real world.

I had a great time taking "grad parade" photos at the schools I shoot for. Basically, a grad parade is when all the grads get "dressed to the nines" and prior to heading off to their banquet they get into all manner of conveyances and parade around to the front of the school where everyone and their dog is waiting to take photos of their graduating kids. It's an hour and a half of being a pap and at times one needs to make sure the elbows are available. Here's one photo of a couple who arrived on a 3 wheel mobility scooter.

Graduated! by Paul, on Flickr

Having had all three 'standard' zoom lenses, I can tell you there's bugger all difference in IQ in the real world.
My brief experience with the 28-80mm demonstrated that it was more prone to flare and also lack of contrast in backlit scenes. It is sharp though, and although it feels quite plasticky it is a great lens for the money.

Finally placed an order for a D750 after a lot of deliberating.....:) would one of the below be ok as a walkabout lens or would I be better to go for the 24mm-100mm vr f4 or something similar?

http://www.wexphotographic.com/niko...3798efa87e09&utm_source=aw#prodthumb-carousel
I haven't used that lens, but I have a 28-105 and a 24-85VR. I don't use the older lens any longer. I also have a 24-70 which I only use when I need the faster aperture for low light situations. As @minnnt says, IQ wise there's nothing between the modern lenses in the real world.

I haven't used that lens, but I have a 28-105 and a 24-85VR. I don't use the older lens any longer. I also have a 24-70 which I only use when I need the faster aperture for low light situations. As @minnnt says, IQ wise there's nothing between the modern lenses in the real world.
I had the 28-105mm too. Nice lens, and served me well but not as sharp as the 24-120mm and also prone to flare and lack of contrast in backlit situations. Still, for around £100 it's an absolute steal. I've had two 24-70mm's now and got rid of them both. Good lens, but for me the 24-120mm f4 is more versatile and just as sharp. I've now bought primes for when I need more light.

I had the 28-105mm too. Nice lens, and served me well but not as sharp as the 24-120mm and also prone to flare and lack of contrast in backlit situations. Still, for around £100 it's an absolute steal. I've had two 24-70mm's now and got rid of them both. Good lens, but for me the 24-120mm f4 is more versatile and just as sharp. I've now bought primes for when I need more light.
Totally agree with this.

I have the 28-105mm and it's a good lens as a starter. Sharp but a little slow. Overall it's a nice starter lens for generic shooting.

Last edited:
Anyone else shoot JPG? I quite like the Nikon JPG files.:p
Only as backup. I actually like the colours of the jpeg so have a RAW preset to match the colours which works pretty well,....... most of the time ;)

I thought about shooting jpeg for a bit when processing was on top but the laptop has sorted that. I'd end up messing anyway. Let's face it, PP is a necessary evil.

So I thought I'd check out the shutter count on my D750. I bought it used off a fellow who used it primarily for video but then upgraded. The camera itself says the shutter count now is 9769 but I uploaded a last shot jpeg to camerashuttercount.com and it says the shutter count is 9002. Interesting. :wideyed:

So I thought I'd check out the shutter count on my D750. I bought it used off a fellow who used it primarily for video but then upgraded. The camera itself says the shutter count now is 9769 but I uploaded a last shot jpeg to camerashuttercount.com and it says the shutter count is 9002. Interesting. :wideyed:

Haven't bothered with mine before so out of interest mine registered at 26,300 The 610 was 7,400 which surprised me, didn't think I'd used that much.

Haven't bothered with mine before so out of interest mine registered at 26,300 The 610 was 7,400 which surprised me, didn't think I'd used that much.
Managed to clock up over 60k on my first D750, only got 16.5k on this one.

Only when taking action pictures of dogs. With RAW the buffer fills.
You should be able to get about 15 shots before the buffer fills, how many are you taking in a row :eek: ;)

Thought i would test out the Nikon D750 third time around for me and the Sigma 100-400 quite pleased so far with the results.

Whilst at Burnham Beeches this morning sat by the middle pond,i heard a rustling sound in the bushes behind me.It continued for a few minutes and seemed to be getting closer and it sounded like light footsteps.After about five minutes and expecting a muntjac deer to suddenly appear into my viewfinder i prepared my lens supported on the back of the wooden bench.The sound became even louder and closer my heartbeat increased in anticipation and it suddenly appeared a blackbird jumping up and down in the leaves :)

Pocket Full Of Rye by Adrian Jones, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thought i would test out the Nikon D750 third time around for me and the Sigma 100-400 quite pleased so far with the results.

Whilst at Burnham Beeches this morning sat by the middle pond,i heard a rustling sound in the bushes behind me.It continued for a few minutes and seemed to be getting closer and it sounded like light footsteps.After about five minutes and expecting a muntjac deer to suddenly appear into my viewfinder i prepared my lens supported on the back of the wooden bench.The sound became even louder and closer my heartbeat increased in anticipation and it suddenly appeared a blackbird jumping up and down in the leaves :)

Pocket Full Of Rye by Adrian Jones, on Flickr
Image quality looks great. Just hired this lens for Silverstone next week, looking forward to trying it out. Can't get my head around the exclusion of a tripod collar, or even the option to put one on if you want :(

Image quality looks great. Just hired this lens for Silverstone next week, looking forward to trying it out. Can't get my head around the exclusion of a tripod collar, or even the option to put one on if you want :(

Yes the omission seems a little strange i agrree and should be at least an option. It seems its designed for easy hand holding and a lot lighter than the 150-600. It doesnt seem to need any tuning either.

Good luck with silverstone look forward to seeing some of your shots.

Yes the omission seems a little strange i agrree and should be at least an option. It seems its designed for easy hand holding and a lot lighter than the 150-600. It doesnt seem to need any tuning either.

Good luck with silverstone look forward to seeing some of your shots.
That's exactly why I've hired it, didn't fancy lugging the 150-600mm around all weekend. I don't mind carrying it around for a full day, but 3 days in a row is a bit much. I wouldn't expect too much from me, motorsport's far from my strong point ;)

Back