Nikon D750 & D780

Would say all the cropped ones are of the same quality. I might just hire out a D500 and see how it goes next weekend.
But then you say you need the width of 70mm at the short end which you’ll lose out on with the D500. You get a larger field of view difference at the wider end than you do at the longer end. For example, at ultra wide angle such as 16mm just a 1mm change in focal length makes quite a large difference. This gets less apparent the longer the focal length so you might find there’s more of a difference between 70mm and 105mm than there is between 200mm and 300mm.

Unfortunately most of the time it’s about compromise. What’s better, not getting the framing you want at the short end or having to crop sometimes at the long end at the risk of IQ, which to be fair most non togs won’t even notice/care?

The other option of course is two bodies ;)

I can’t comment on your crops as I’m only on the phone, but will have a look properly tomorrow

People who are in the pics - yes they are happy. Me? Not so much!

Example from today below, the 2nd one is cropped a fair bit and in my eyes the difference in quality is pretty clear:

Martin & Bliss by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Martin & Bliss 200mm Crop by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

And just a quick one from a morning walk over the south downs:

Brendan & Sam by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr
Looked on the computer now, yeah there's a fair bit of drop in the IQ, but then lighting looks very different too. Only you can decide if cropping is good enough.

Looked on the computer now, yeah there's a fair bit of drop in the IQ, but then lighting looks very different too. Only you can decide if cropping is good enough.

That’s the thing, my horsey friends love a nice picture and to them they don’t see any difference in quality - but I do!

I think I will hire one out and run them side by side and see what results I get and what i think. It’s the only way I can make a decision without making the wrong decision if that makes sense!

That’s the thing, my horsey friends love a nice picture and to them they don’t see any difference in quality - but I do!

I think I will hire one out and run them side by side and see what results I get and what i think. It’s the only way I can make a decision without making the wrong decision if that makes sense!

D500 won't be the wrong decision if you're still gonna shoot dogs. for equestrian the D750 is plenty good enough.
If you plan on shooting indoor arenas the low light capabilities and noise handling of full frame really helps.

Unfortunately it's always a compromise as we've discussed. In an ideal world you could have two bodies with two different lenses. BUT getting a second body and a second lens is very costly. Do you shoot a lot at 70mm, and if so do you feel you're too close, not close enough or just right?

If I was you I would prob sell the d750 and get a d850 best of both world and crop on it

Who are the photos for? If they are for the horsey friends, stop worrying, If they are for you, stop pixel peeping. :D

A chicken yesterday at ISO 10,000.

_7507261.jpg

finally got to the zoo today. was with family and friends so barely had any chance for photos. weather was bitterly cold with hail storms thrown in. would have liked to spend more time with the lions as only came away with a couple of ok shots through the glass.

2-1 by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

Can’t of been too full as you had a good shutter and iso. I love going zoo

D500 won't be the wrong decision if you're still gonna shoot dogs. for equestrian the D750 is plenty good enough.
If you plan on shooting indoor arenas the low light capabilities and noise handling of full frame really helps.

The dogs are going to be indoors which is going to make things even harder!!

with light like that i would would of upped the iso and probably shot at f4ish or higher to try and get the rider and horses face in focus.

Yeah was just in lazy mode as was freezing and had my gloves on! Shutter speed and auto iso lol.

But tips always appreciated thank you!!

Last edited:
Yeah was just in lazy mode as was freezing and had my gloves on! Shutter speed and auto iso lol.

But tips always appreciated thank you!!

Just trying to cover all bases for you mate, as i think that if you shot with the same settings on the d500 the results would be the same thats all.

dont want to see you get a new body and cost you money when there could be possible other options thats all. If im speaking out of turn and sound condescending im not trying to be that way. As i say just trying to offer my little opinion from my observations

Just trying to cover all bases for you mate, as i think that if you shot with the same settings on the d500 the results would be the same thats all.

dont want to see you get a new body and cost you money when there could be possible other options thats all. If im speaking out of turn and sound condescending im not trying to be that way. As i say just trying to offer my little opinion from my observations

No it all helps thank you! I just need to not be so lazy sometimes.

Yeah I think the D500 would not really change the end results for the majority of my shooting, but I think I need to try it, before committing to one!

No it all helps thank you! I just need to not be so lazy sometimes.

Yeah I think the D500 would not really change the end results for the majority of my shooting, but I think I need to try it, before committing to one!

Those images are great, I think sometime we need to nail it to get it right. As some have said the D500 might not do it any better as sometime like we say it the person behind the camera. Saying that I have manage to nail more shots with my D500 than I did with the D750. But the End results are sometime better on the D750 but saying that I have been please with lots of image ive taken with the D500 and I have kept this camera longer than any other nikons I had.. Canon I kept for much longer sometime I fancy going back to Canon but doubt it..

Bless her lovey images.. What baby bottle are you using pal?

cheers.

Tommy tipee, but have got some new advent anti colic ones today to give them a try. just to keep on top if it

Are you using Anti colic Tommy Tipee? They what we used and was fantastic the Philps ones wasn't any good for us.. Might be other way round for you. Hope you crack it as I know what it like our little one was terrible but once we got onto this Tommy unit colic she was brilliant

Those images are great, I think sometime we need to nail it to get it right. As some have said the D500 might not do it any better as sometime like we say it the person behind the camera. Saying that I have manage to nail more shots with my D500 than I did with the D750. But the End results are sometime better on the D750 but saying that I have been please with lots of image ive taken with the D500 and I have kept this camera longer than any other nikons I had.. Canon I kept for much longer sometime I fancy going back to Canon but doubt it..

I used to run Canons, but only the midrange ones. Had a 600 and 650D, but since switching back to Nikon I’m not sure I could go back again! I nearly bought a 7d mkii but would now get a D500 over one of them.

Have you also tried any of the colic medicines Kingo? We gave Infacol and later Dentinox to my daughter which helped a little, the dentinox worked better but she hated having it. Neither was a miracle cure though unfortunately, the only thing that soothed her was movement so we got some miles in with the pram. Fortunately it was summer so warm evenings made it easier!

Edit: my apologies for barging in with the advice too, I used to hate when people did that to me, but I can see now why, because they could feel our pain!

Last edited:
I used to run Canons, but only the midrange ones. Had a 600 and 650D, but since switching back to Nikon I’m not sure I could go back again! I nearly bought a 7d mkii but would now get a D500 over one of them.

Yeah looking at the DP Review ISO test it appear all the nikon are better than the Canon in that regard.. The D500 beats all the nikon ISO wise so the D750 is even better.

Have you also tried any of the colic medicines Kingo? We gave Infacol and later Dentinox to my daughter which helped a little, the dentinox worked better but she hated having it. Neither was a miracle cure though unfortunately, the only thing that soothed her was movement so we got some miles in with the pram. Fortunately it was summer so warm evenings made it easier!

Edit: my apologies for barging in with the advice too, I used to hate when people did that to me, but I can see now why, because they could feel our pain!
she is currently on infacol yeah others have said about walking and driving, the only pain is typically that its evening time only.

No all ideas and advice is always welcome mate. thats the beauty of this thread you can find info and advice on anything here :D

she is currently on infacol yeah others have said about walking and driving, the only pain is typically that its evening time only.

No all ideas and advice is always welcome mate. thats the beauty of this thread you can find info and advice on anything here :D

Can be the milk too what baby milk you using

almost a smile by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

If I remember right, a little smile like that is actually "wind" [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Lovely photos and baby

Ahhh good :) I didn’t want to overstep any boundary!

We also found one weird relief for her too, we had been given something called a snuggle bundle that was meant to make it easier for her to be put down asleep without waking her up. It’s like a hammock with handles essentially, she loved being put in that and rocked backwards and forwards. Tiring on the arms but the screaming when you stopped soon spurred us on :LOL: Looking now they aren’t cheap so wouldn’t recommend one for just that purpose, as we never found it worked particularly well for its intended purpose, but certainly worked to calm her colic

Last edited:
Ahhh good :) I didn’t want to overstep any boundary!

We also found one weird relief for her too, we had been given something called a snuggle bundle that was meant to make it easier for her to be put down asleep without waking her up. It’s like a hammock with handles essentially, she loved being put in that and rocked backwards and forwards. Tiring on the arms but the screaming when you stopped soon spurred us on :LOL: Looking now they aren’t cheap so wouldn’t recommend one for just that purpose, as we never found it worked particularly well for its intended purpose, but certainly worked to calm her colic
also got a white noise app.

the washing machine noise appears to be her favourite and settle her the best

On a serious note,if i can remember that far back,a change of milk did the trick,back then i think it was Sma?milk that stopped the problem

On a serious note,if i can remember that far back,a change of milk did the trick,back then i think it was Sma?milk that stopped the problem

Yes SMA milk.

Cow and gate is known to be colic cause to a few people I know.

Back