Nikon D750 & D780

Yeah, that's a biggie imo.

Finally might be seeing some improvements now that they've separated the two. Speed is no better since though IMO. A small gripe of mine was that one of my main starting point mono presets was built from a VSCO one and the profile attached to it wouldn't work in mobile. Wasn't a major issue, just bugged me when viewing.

What are the differences between LR and LR classic? I downloaded both but not actaully used either yet.

My old laptop just had LR, which I think is known as classic? (I think)

What are the differences between LR and LR classic? I downloaded both but not actaully used either yet.

My old laptop just had LR, which I think is known as classic? (I think)
This isn't an entirely accurate description ... but I think of Lightroom Classic CC as being the old Lightroom; Lightroom CC is pretty much Lightroom "Mobile" but on the desk(lap)top - Windows or OSX.

This isn't an entirely accurate description ... but I think of Lightroom Classic CC as being the old Lightroom; Lightroom CC is pretty much Lightroom "Mobile" but on the desk(lap)top - Windows or OSX.

This.

In a nutshell, Classic is meant for desktop use, whilst CC is for a mobile workflow and works well off an iPad or your phone.

Last edited:
This.

In a nutshell, Classic is meant for desktop use, whilst CC is for a mobile workflow and works well off an iPad or your phone.

As he says.. CC is no where near we good we clsssic

May as well post some more family mono shots to keep this thread going (I can't keep up with that Sony one!)

40716588114_b8235242fc_b.jpg

26559801387_917d068a9e_b.jpg

really like them.

Ive got a thing about mono at the min for some unknown reason. most portrait and family stuff is in mono. wildlife just doesnt look the same thou in mono

Thanks Mark. I tend to only do mono where the tones allow, but do like documentary stuff in B&W. Just takes you back in time.

Have a look at David Yarrows work, it can work but his subjects are probably different to yours (maybe not Toby’s!). You definitely need good shadow detail to make them pop and clean whites.

Thanks Mark. I tend to only do mono where the tones allow, but do like documentary stuff in B&W. Just takes you back in time.

Have a look at David Yarrows work, it can work but his subjects are probably different to yours (maybe not Toby’s!). You definitely need good shadow detail to make them pop and clean whites.

Yeah definitely differs to my wildlife subject's. There is a couple of his I saw on Google images that I have seen before. The Japanese monkey is amazing.

Lol, I wish mine were like his :eek: ;)

@kingo15 you have to pick and choose which wildlife pics are going to suit mono, very few of mine look better in mono than colour imo, but here's a few that I thought did work.

DSC_4387 B&W cropped
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_5376 B&W Crop
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_5134-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_5295-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_6499
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8975 B&W WM
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I'm at the worrying that I'm making the right decision phase! haha

She's slowly growing haha, 7 this June and still only 1.10m tall!

There will always be doubts, but that's what stops most people - go for it!

Rosie is extremely small for her age too. She gets looks in the street because her speech belies her stature, people don't expect it ha.

There will always be doubts, but that's what stops most people - go for it!

Rosie is extremely small for her age too. She gets looks in the street because her speech belies her stature, people don't expect it ha.

That sounds familiar, "she's not a highly advanced 2 year old, she's a very short 4 year old"

I was taken in by the new tech of the Sony A7R3, the Auto focus, the eye AF, the zillion mega pixels, the rave reviews and what will be ‘the future’, but as a camera it’s just an absolute pig to use!

If this is the future, get me a DeLorean.

I was taken in by the new tech of the Sony A7R3, the Auto focus, the eye AF, the zillion mega pixels, the rave reviews and what will be ‘the future’, but as a camera it’s just an absolute pig to use!

If this is the future, get me a DeLorean.

I held one at the Photo Show a few weeks back along with an A9 and my first thoughts were eugh! Great output maybe but just didn’t like the feel of either or shooting with them.

I hate the feel of Sony, still plenty of life in the 750 yet. They are not game changing improvements yet. Must admit from the samples I've seen, I still can't see anything in the rendering and IQ that look better to my eye. Maybe I'm just not anorak enough?

I hate the feel of Sony, still plenty of life in the 750 yet. They are not game changing improvements yet. Must admit from the samples I've seen, I still can't see anything in the rendering and IQ that look better to my eye. Maybe I'm just not anorak enough?
I prefer the colours and rendering of Nikon (and Canon for that matter). I’ve not been blown away by any of the photos I’ve seen so far tbh, and from some users I’ve preferred the stuff they’ve done previously with other makes of camera. That’s not to say they’re not nice of course, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that ;) As long as the user is happy with the output that’s all that matters. Some people are always going to prefer one over the others and vice versa.

I sent it back for the shutter recall. Well it went back twice as they mucked the repair up. But it's all good now. Hasn't done it since. So I definitely think its something to do with the shutter issues

how did they muck with it? always interresting to here about possible trouble, i still haven't sent mine away

I got a couple of big dust in the viewfinder, nothing i can't live with but how difficult is this kind of stuff to clean?

I got a couple of big dust in the viewfinder, nothing i can't live with but how difficult is this kind of stuff to clean?
Easy peasy, take the lens (or body cap) off, leave the mirror down and use a rocket blower in the direction of the focussing screen.

Lol, I wish mine were like his :eek: ;)

@kingo15 you have to pick and choose which wildlife pics are going to suit mono, very few of mine look better in mono than colour imo, but here's a few that I thought did work.

DSC_4387 B&W cropped
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_5376 B&W Crop
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_5134-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_5295-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_6499
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8975 B&W WM
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Recently at my camera club there was a yearly competition apart from one image, all the entry for black and white wildlife i thought didn't gain anything from being black and white. There you have a great collection where the black and white really had something. Great shots!

Recently at my camera club there was a yearly competition apart from one image, all the entry for black and white wildlife i thought didn't gain anything from being black and white. There you have a great collection where the black and white really had something. Great shots!
Thanks, appreciate it.

I prefer the colours and rendering of Nikon (and Canon for that matter). I’ve not been blown away by any of the photos I’ve seen so far tbh, and from some users I’ve preferred the stuff they’ve done previously with other makes of camera. That’s not to say they’re not nice of course, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that ;) As long as the user is happy with the output that’s all that matters. Some people are always going to prefer one over the others and vice versa.

Yup, and it’s not so much about the gear these days, they’re all capable. I get it, we all like new gear and can help maintain the idea of progression.

For a hobbyist you could live with the feel not being perfect as you don’t tend to have them in hand so much, but I’d hate to hold something uncomfortable for something like a wedding. I tend to hold my cameras as opposed to have them swinging round my neck. Though, my 750 didn’t initially feel great when I moved from Canon, but soon got used to it.

There’s really no discernible size advantage if you’re using pro lenses, you need to go Fooj for that slight benefit and hate to say it, but the mid range DSLRs are about the smallest I’d go with a pro lens, they just balance.

I’m glad I’m not the only one not wowed by the output, some of the features might help nail something in challenging conditions, but we do seem to have topped out with overall quality for normal usage.

Yup, and it’s not so much about the gear these days, they’re all capable. I get it, we all like new gear and can help maintain the idea of progression.

For a hobbyist you could live with the feel not being perfect as you don’t tend to have them in hand so much, but I’d hate to hold something uncomfortable for something like a wedding. I tend to hold my cameras as opposed to have them swinging round my neck. Though, my 750 didn’t initially feel great when I moved from Canon, but soon got used to it.

There’s really no discernible size advantage if you’re using pro lenses, you need to go Fooj for that slight benefit and hate to say it, but the mid range DSLRs are about the smallest I’d go with a pro lens, they just balance.

I’m glad I’m not the only one not wowed by the output, some of the features might help nail something in challenging conditions, but we do seem to have topped out with overall quality for normal usage.
It’s quite odd actually as one of the reasons for me looking at the swap to Sony was the weight saving (in certain setups) but I’ve now gone the other way :LOL: I’m surprised how much I can feel the weight difference between the D750 and D850 tbh, you don’t think 180g is going to be that noticeable. Not sure how much more the weight difference is with the grips added either as the EN-EL18 batteries weigh almost as much as the D750 :LOL: (slight over exaggeration ;))

It’s quite odd actually as one of the reasons for me looking at the swap to Sony was the weight saving (in certain setups) but I’ve now gone the other way :LOL: I’m surprised how much I can feel the weight difference between the D750 and D850 tbh, you don’t think 180g is going to be that noticeable. Not sure how much more the weight difference is with the grips added either as the EN-EL18 batteries weigh almost as much as the D750 :LOL: (slight over exaggeration ;))

Weight wise the A7R3 with grip (essential) and 70-200 weighed in more than the D750 with 70-200. Without grip the Nikon was 30g heavier.

It was more than just the handling though, the menu, the AF in low light, the buffer, image review etc etc. All in all it just wasn’t fun to use no matter what the final images were like.

But hey, I tried it out and it wasn’t for me! I’m not a brand fan boy either so my thoughts are relevant lol

You need the 2.8e. 110g back right there :D

Around £500, that’s saving quite a bit of weight right there too!
And the rest :eek: Was offered £900 for my VRII, the E is £2100 used, £1800 grey.

Back