Nikon D750 & D780

I really hope Nikon get it right with the mirrorless camera. They need to nick all the many great things from the Sony, and improve on a few areas to really grab my interest. One big one I've mentioned already, it needs to be a bit bigger so I can fit my hand between the grip and lens comfortably. I've said this before as well, but if they could make an EM1 clone (in terms of design and ergonomics) it would be perfect imo.

I've not seen a lot of data regarding colour depth at varying ISO, but in terms of tonal range and colour sensitivity the difference between the A7iii and D750 is minimal through the ISO range. Does the D750 not have anti flicker mode? It's amazing how quickly you forget these things :oops: :$

Yeah, as per disclaimer, my side by side wasn't scientific but based on what I could see. I felt the Sony seemed to render colour better at high ISO (compressed and uncompressed versus Nikon Lossless 14bit) but obviously I could be wrong.

The anti-flicker thing is great - I've envied that for a while. Unfortunately, it can only be used with the shutter enabled. I've gotten pretty used to shooting my 85mm at 1/100 during speeches and in churches to stop flicker though.

Have you held the A7III yet, Snerkler? It's definitely greatly improved over the older A7 iterations. I know some pretty large-handed photographers who've taken to it... not that I'm some kind of weird person that fixates on hand size... honestly, I'm not.*

*I think I might be.

I really hope Nikon get it right with the mirrorless camera. They need to nick all the many great things from the Sony, and improve on a few areas to really grab my interest. One big one I've mentioned already, it needs to be a bit bigger so I can fit my hand between the grip and lens comfortably. I've said this before as well, but if they could make an EM1 clone (in terms of design and ergonomics) it would be perfect imo.

I've not seen a lot of data regarding colour depth at varying ISO, but in terms of tonal range and colour sensitivity the difference between the A7iii and D750 is minimal through the ISO range. Does the D750 not have anti flicker mode? It's amazing how quickly you forget these things :oops: :$

Is there a reason you're shooting 12 bit rather than 14 bit on the D750?

By the time I want to upgrade my bodies, they may well have a viable solution available.

I only switch to 12 bit lossless if I'm doing an event like a wedding, so very rarely. There's absolute no loss of detail, even in challenging conditions that I've noticed. Just means that a 64gb card in each camera will do a full wedding. I have spares but it's easier.

@snerkler

Of course the sensor is better, its much newer, what it does show is sensor gains aren't massive anymore and we seem to be getting as much as we can out of a given size.

DR

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 15.24.05.png

Tonal Range

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 15.24.14.png

Colour Sensitivity

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 15.24.15.png

Last edited:
@snerkler would vouch for my Nikon allegiance so I dont have anything against the brand or the D750 (my favourite cam of over 40 till I used the A73).
In all seriousness yes I can certainly vouch for this. In fact it's twist's fault that I became a Nikon shooter so you all have him to blame for you having me posting my tripe on these threads ;)

Yeah, as per disclaimer, my side by side wasn't scientific but based on what I could see. I felt the Sony seemed to render colour better at high ISO (compressed and uncompressed versus Nikon Lossless 14bit) but obviously I could be wrong.

The anti-flicker thing is great - I've envied that for a while. Unfortunately, it can only be used with the shutter enabled. I've gotten pretty used to shooting my 85mm at 1/100 during speeches and in churches to stop flicker though.

Have you held the A7III yet, Snerkler? It's definitely greatly improved over the older A7 iterations. I know some pretty large-handed photographers who've taken to it... not that I'm some kind of weird person that fixates on hand size... honestly, I'm not.*

*I think I might be.
Sorry I wasn't referring to your post re colour rendition. In fact I missed that bit altogether (y)
As for the A7iii no I haven't but I have the A7Riii which I believe is identical to the A7iii shape wise. I tried the 24-70mm F4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 100-400mm and I kept catching my knuckles with all 3 lenses. Also, with the battery grip attached and using the 70-200mm in portrait mode I found that it was really poorly balanced and I was constantly having to 'fight' it to stop it wanting to rotate to the left (if that makes sense). This is a scenario that I do find myself shooting in with runners etc. Add the slight lack in EVF when panning (and there was a Sony rep on hand to make sure I'd got all the settings right to minimise lag) and unfortunately it just wasn't right for me. I was actually disappointed as I was liking the idea of a one system solution, and I like having new systems to try out. That being said, I bought a D850 instead so it's not all bad ;)

By the time I want to upgrade my bodies, they may well have a viable solution available.

I only switch to 12 bit lossless if I'm doing an event like a wedding, so very rarely. There's absolute no loss of detail, even in challenging conditions that I've noticed. Just means that a 64gb card in each camera will do a full wedding. I have spares but it's easier.
I did some tests with the D850 between 12 bit and 14 bit and I couldn't tell a difference. I didn't blow any highlights or crush shadows to see what recovery was like, but I did take a shot with plenty of colour (various baseball caps) as I was more interested in colour rendition and I couldn't tell the difference. I could post them on here but I can't remember which is which :LOL:

@snerkler

Of course the sensor is better, its much newer, what it does show is sensor gains aren't massive anymore and we seem to be getting as much as we can out of a given size.

DR

View attachment 128216

Tonal Range

View attachment 128217

Colour Sensitivity

View attachment 128218
The DR of the A7iii is super impressive for sure, over around 1000 iso it starts to pull ahead 'markedly' from my D850 too. As for the tonal range and colour, as you say not a lot's changed in 4 years.

The manual says there is a “flicker reduction” mode (page 380; 408 in digital manual).
Thanks, I'm not going mad after all ;)

In all seriousness yes I can certainly vouch for this. In fact it's twist's fault that I became a Nikon shooter so you all have him to blame for you having me posting my tripe on these threads ;)

Sorry I wasn't referring to your post re colour rendition. In fact I missed that bit altogether (y)
As for the A7iii no I haven't but I have the A7Riii which I believe is identical to the A7iii shape wise. I tried the 24-70mm F4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 100-400mm and I kept catching my knuckles with all 3 lenses. Also, with the battery grip attached and using the 70-200mm in portrait mode I found that it was really poorly balanced and I was constantly having to 'fight' it to stop it wanting to rotate to the left (if that makes sense). This is a scenario that I do find myself shooting in with runners etc. Add the slight lack in EVF when panning (and there was a Sony rep on hand to make sure I'd got all the settings right to minimise lag) and unfortunately it just wasn't right for me. I was actually disappointed as I was liking the idea of a one system solution, and I like having new systems to try out. That being said, I bought a D850 instead so it's not all bad ;)

I did some tests with the D850 between 12 bit and 14 bit and I couldn't tell a difference. I didn't blow any highlights or crush shadows to see what recovery was like, but I did take a shot with plenty of colour (various baseball caps) as I was more interested in colour rendition and I couldn't tell the difference. I could post them on here but I can't remember which is which :LOL:

The DR of the A7iii is super impressive for sure, over around 1000 iso it starts to pull ahead 'markedly' from my D850 too. As for the tonal range and colour, as you say not a lot's changed in 4 years.

Thanks, I'm not going mad after all ;)

No single camera is going to work for everyone in terms of ergonomics, some people even buy canons :eek:

The manual says there is a “flicker reduction” mode (page 380; 408 in digital manual).

Sorry, I should've elaborated. The nikon one doesn't work well. Not To the standard that Sony or canon does, at least. With it on I still get terrible flicker issues shooting in artificial light.

Sorry, I should've elaborated. The nikon one doesn't work well. Not To the standard that Sony or canon does, at least. With it on I still get terrible flicker issues shooting in artificial light.
Do you use Auto or manually select 50hz?

Still no news about a d750 replacement but I just read that rumor is Nikon will release two high end cameras in later this year.

Anyone else waiting to get one or possibly get one

Hello everyone, not posted here in a while thought you’d would likely help me scratch an itch [emoji38]

So I work with only two lenses on my d750 right now but have been gassing after a Tamron g2 150-600mm

I currently have a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 and a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6

Mainly the 24-70 is my walk about general purpose lens (it’s a bit hefty) although at times it would be nice for a bit more reach I can’t be bothered with the 70-300 just to get into say the 120mm range.

So if I pick up the 150-600mm I was wondering if there was one lens I could rely on in addition and I’d trade my other two

What do you think? Something like a 24-120mm with large aperture ideally fixed across the the range?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
And seeing as I haven’t posted any photos for ages either.....this was taken at Colchester zoo and actually is a composite shot because I nailed focus on the beak and focus on the eyes on two different shots and really should have increased the DoF! But I like how it turned out [emoji4]

Taken at 300mm and cropped in, replaced the boring grey sky too for a more dramatic effect imho

King Vulture
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hello everyone, not posted here in a while thought you’d would likely help me scratch an itch [emoji38]

So I work with only two lenses on my d750 right now but have been gassing after a Tamron g2 150-600mm

I currently have a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 and a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6

Mainly the 24-70 is my walk about general purpose lens (it’s a bit hefty) although at times it would be nice for a bit more reach I can’t be bothered with the 70-300 just to get into say the 120mm range.

So if I pick up the 150-600mm I was wondering if there was one lens I could relay on in addition and I’d trade my other two

What do you think? Something like a 24-120mm with large aperture ideally fixed across the the range

Any suggestions?
The 24-120mm is the only option I can think of tbh, unless you want to consider the Sigma 24-105mm. I had the 24-120mm f4 and was very happy with it.

There’s a lot of buzz around a serious Nikon mirrorless so that may be one. The D750 replacement may be in the pipeline too, no doubt it will be as I’ve only had D750 for a couple of months and everything gets replaced pretty much as soon as I buy something :LOL:

How did you find it in low light and with faster moving objects? I assume you mean the Nikon? Not sure if any other manufacturer has anything in this range.
Low light was OK, not as blistering as the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 but it did the job for me. It did the job with faster moving objects too for me although to be fair I was panning side to side which isn't a real test on AF. As I said in my last post there is the Sigma 24-105mm f4 but you're obviously losing 15mm.

Still no news about a d750 replacement but I just read that rumor is Nikon will release two high end cameras in later this year.

Anyone else waiting to get one or possibly get one
Odds on there'll be a D750 replacement, I can't see of any other high end model that needs an update at the moment. Maybe we'll see a D5s.

There’s a lot of buzz around a serious Nikon mirrorless so that may be one. The D750 replacement may be in the pipeline too, no doubt it will be as I’ve only had D750 for a couple of months and everything gets replaced pretty much as soon as I buy something :LOL:
I'm not expecting a Nikon mirrorless until the first quarter of 2019, but what do I know ;) As for the D750 replacement that's a bit overdue so a replacement won't be a surprise to anyone ;)

Auto did absolutely nothing to help so I tried 50hz and it also did nothing. Didn't think there was any point trying 60hz.

EDIT: Just checked and all 4 bodies are still set to 50hz
I've been lucky and never had any issues in artificial light. What issues were you getting, exposure changes, WB changes or both? Out of interest can changing shutter speed help with problems with uneven exp/WB or is it just banding that it can help with?

I've been lucky and never had any issues in artificial light. What issues were you getting, exposure changes, WB changes or both? Out of interest can changing shutter speed help with problems with uneven exp/WB or is it just banding that it can help with?

Yes, Yes and Yes.

WB and Exposure variance from one picture to the next, even at 1/160. Fairy lights strobing etc. I can mostly resolve it by shooting 1/100 or less. I've never had much of a banding problem with the D750, really.

Odds on there'll be a D750 replacement, I can't see of any other high end model that needs an update at the moment. Maybe we'll see a D5s.

I'm not expecting a Nikon mirrorless until the first quarter of 2019, but what do I know ;) As for the D750 replacement that's a bit overdue so a replacement won't be a surprise to anyone ;)

D6 is definitely on its way, according to Nikon rumors.

Yes, Yes and Yes.

WB and Exposure variance from one picture to the next, even at 1/160. Fairy lights strobing etc. I can mostly resolve it by shooting 1/100 or less. I've never had much of a banding problem with the D750, really.

Keeping to1/100th or slower works for me using the D750 under fluorescent tubes. No exposure issues, but WB banding if I don't. I have flicker reduction set but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

D6 is definitely on its way, according to Nikon rumors.
Interesting, wonder why no D5s? I don't think the D5 got particularly great reviews when it came out, especially sensor performance so maybe they don't want the new camera to be linked to that in any way if they've got some new sensor on the way for it.

Interesting, wonder why no D5s? I don't think the D5 got particularly great reviews when it came out, especially sensor performance so maybe they don't want the new camera to be linked to that in any way if they've got some new sensor on the way for it.

That was my first thought. The D3 and D4 had great reputations.

Perhaps they are just getting rid of S models completely. From what I gather the S models were not good upgrades really.

haha, fair enough... seeing I won't be posting pics in here soon, potentially my 3rd last D750 wedding:

34049745_2098246050203441_4481189733560483840_o.jpg

Just thought I'd pop in and say "hi" as I've got got myself a D750 and a Tamron 24-70 2.8 to go with it (you can bet the D750 replacement will happen very soon now - happened with my D7000 lol). I've been using a D7000 and Tamron 17-50 2.8 (pretty much lives on it) so it's certainly a big jump in weight! So far liking the feel of the D750 and the deeper grip - even though I keep hitting the wrong buttons on the back.

Not had the chance to properly go and test things out yet but managed a snap in the garden with my only model who doesn't walk away or complain.
Danbo Plank by Kat, on Flickr

Low light was OK, not as blistering as the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 but it did the job for me. It did the job with faster moving objects too for me although to be fair I was panning side to side which isn't a real test on AF. As I said in my last post there is the Sigma 24-105mm f4 but you're obviously losing 15mm.

Hmmm. Seems whatever I do I’m not going to get as fast a lens as a 24-70 and slightly longer range, and although it’s weighty I’m loathe to give that aspect up

Maybe I should just go for the 150-600 and then see how much I still use the 70-300 to plug the gap. I have to say when I do use the 70-300 it does tend to be at the longer end of it’s range. I suppose I could always trade it later if I find I’m not using it so much.

Just thought I'd pop in and say "hi" as I've got got myself a D750 and a Tamron 24-70 2.8 to go with it (you can bet the D750 replacement will happen very soon now - happened with my D7000 lol). I've been using a D7000 and Tamron 17-50 2.8 (pretty much lives on it) so it's certainly a big jump in weight! So far liking the feel of the D750 and the deeper grip - even though I keep hitting the wrong buttons on the back.

Not had the chance to properly go and test things out yet but managed a snap in the garden with my only model who doesn't walk away or complain.
Danbo Plank by Kat, on Flickr

Welcome aboard. Hopefully you've got a screen protector already fitted?:whistle:

Ah that's good, it just saves us 4 pages of discussing the best screen protector. :)
haha. The one with the best reviews on amazon has always served me well with my phone so I figured no difference here. I'm sure I could start the discussion with straps though! I ordered a non branded one (ahem, I picked it because I liked the colour) but it won't arrive until next week. I'm glad I've got a carrier thing on my rucksack strap for hiking with the additional weight too.

Really? I thought the S models were well worth the upgrade.

I don't use video and many of the improvements were in the video department so perhaps someone using video would view them in a better light than myself.

Personally I bought a d300 and d4 and never hankered for the d300s or d4s at all, I seen them as too similar although I admit if I was using video I would maybe feel differently.

I don't use video and many of the improvements were in the video department so perhaps someone using video would view them in a better light than myself.

Personally I bought a d300 and d4 and never hankered for the d300s or d4s at all, I seen them as too similar although I admit if I was using video I would maybe feel differently.
What about better processor, different AF modes, faster frame rate, better native ISO, and better buffer? Granted none were game changers but tbh you could argue that new models (such as the D5) are only incremental updates. We really don’t need every latest and greatest model.

Back