Nikon D750 & D780

Great. Gotta love a Collie.
You want more? Lots of them at a sheep dog trial. ;) And the sheep were very trying today! :D

7518833-14,large.1532288316.jpg

I was reminded yesterday that my first solo wedding gig was 5 years ago. Funny where the time goes, and whilst I thought I did ok at the time, I can pick holes in lots of places, so good to see improvement. Nevertheless, the light in Sweden at this time of the year was lovely.

PS. They're Canon files too, oops, just felt the need to share...

43567613562_b4879749e0_b.jpg

I was reminded yesterday that my first solo wedding gig was 5 years ago. Funny where the time goes, and whilst I thought I did ok at the time, I can pick holes in lots of places, so good to see improvement. Nevertheless, the light in Sweden at this time of the year was lovely.

PS. They're Canon files too, oops, just felt the need to share...

43567613562_b4879749e0_b.jpg

How dare you besmirch this thread! Just kidding :D it’s strange how time moves on, last time I looked at my first wedding I was the same. Hell, I even do that with weddings that I shot last year :LOL: at least it means there’s a curve there, hopefully in the right direction.

The thing I need to learn to nail is group shots, while I’ve always been happy with them, I always feel there could be something more.

How dare you besmirch this thread! Just kidding [emoji1] it’s strange how time moves on, last time I looked at my first wedding I was the same. Hell, I even do that with weddings that I shot last year :LOL: at least it means there’s a curve there, hopefully in the right direction.

The thing I need to learn to nail is group shots, while I’ve always been happy with them, I always feel there could be something more.

Group shots don’t come natural to most people, too much going on. I’ve got better with spotting certain things and direction but definitely something that needs practice. Problem is, getting the buy-in. Some get it, some are just hard work.

Last edited:
Group shots don’t come natural to most people, too much going on. I’ve got better with spotting certain things and direction but definitely something that needs practice. Problem is, getting the buy-in. Some get, some are just hard work.
Group shots are the worst, such a pain but it seems some people are starting to not want them.

Haven't been doing much at all lately but couldn't resist a bit of paddling pool fun at the weekend. The exposure latitude of the 750's file I still find insane, these have been pulled a fair bit!

42714746695_59d810fdcc_b.jpg

42714746775_684ae71847_b.jpg

Last edited:
Group shots are the worst, such a pain but it seems some people are starting to not want them.

But how do you go about, say, a dozen people? Hands are the bit that I try to watch, clearly I went with hands in the pockets in this example, but missed the guy on the right which has his legs too far apart. Getting them together and the hands are normally at the front of my mind. I have been trying to take my eye out of the VF and speak to them as I take the shots but I do find that the camera can slip a bit and I need to straighten, so working on my hold.

32146602425_12848933ec_b.jpg

Like those mate, my paddling pool action consisted of laying in it earlier drinking beer and trying to get a tan :LOL:

I've drank a few beers, but not in the pool tonight ha. A mate of mine without kids, was telling me how he bought a large kiddy pool for exactly that

But how do you go about, say, a dozen people? Hands are the bit that I try to watch, clearly I went with hands in the pockets in this example, but missed the guy on the right which has his legs too far apart. Getting them together and the hands are normally at the front of my mind. I have been trying to take my eye out of the VF and speak to them as I take the shots but I do find that the camera can slip a bit and I need to straighten, so working on my hold.

That's fine to me, to be fair your client isn't going to say 'oh I wish he had his legs closer, Kris should've sorted that..'

Great shot - would you tend to use any fill flash in such an image ? I guess the lightwas pretty decent so you probably didnt need to

It did ok with Lee Child and John Grisham as well :)

DSC_1189_2.jpg

heavy crop from a 70-200 f2.8. Ideally needed a bit more reach.

One thing that really threw me at first is shooting high iso outdoors. The camera goes into 'err' mode and doesnt work as the shutter must be over 1/4000, have others hit this issue and found a way to stop it - can be embarrassing if try to get a key pic quickly.

It tripped me up at an event where i was jumping from a dark tent shooting at iso6400 then outside into bright light.

That's fine to me, to be fair your client isn't going to say 'oh I wish he had his legs closer, Kris should've sorted that..'

I bloody hope not, she was my cousin lol

Great shot - would you tend to use any fill flash in such an image ? I guess the lightwas pretty decent so you probably didnt need to

I only resort to flash for extreme conditions. There was enough light for this image. It was a December wedding and there wasn’t much time for group shots, so I had to find a compromise between the best light and BG. The grounds weren’t the best either so kept it simple.

Last edited:
I bloody hope not, she was my cousin lol

I only resort to flash for extreme conditions. There was enough light for this image. It was a December wedding and there wasn’t much time for group shots, so I had to find a compromise between the best light and BG. The grounds weren’t the best either so kept it simple.

Did you tell them to point the thumbs?

I rarely shoot weddings but did one at the weekend. Brave enough to try the new to me D750 first time out and it did ok !

DSC_1729.jpg

Cracking image Mike, great comp.

One thing that really threw me at first is shooting high iso outdoors. The camera goes into 'err' mode and doesnt work as the shutter must be over 1/4000, have others hit this issue and found a way to stop it - can be embarrassing if try to get a key pic quickly.

It tripped me up at an event where i was jumping from a dark tent shooting at iso6400 then outside into bright light.

Are you shooting manual for the most part? Shouldn’t be too high ISO, outdoors, unless you like f22?

My general settings are aperture priority, easy iso with min 1/250 and f2. I only swap to manual for flash work indoors.

I use auto iso as I find the implementation on the D750 is good since you can set the lower and upper limits plus you can choose if you want a lower or higher shutter speed.

Nice Tim, but is there any more on the left? For me, it feels like theres a tad to much negative space... A tree and lots of grass.

Thanks; there’s plenty of centre ones but this one just seems to have a bit more feeling to it, almost like I wasn’t there if that makes sense.

I use auto iso as I find the implementation on the D750 is good since you can set the lower and upper limits plus you can choose if you want a lower or higher shutter speed.

This. I missed this off my post for some reason? I set auto ISO with a 1/250 min but use easy exp comp.

Where are you based with that snow
John?

Group shots don’t come natural to most people, too much going on. I’ve got better with spotting certain things and direction but definitely something that needs practice. Problem is, getting the buy-in. Some get it, some are just hard work.

Absolutely, it’s hard enough orchestrating the confetti shot. You tell people 10 seconds prior, throw the confetti on my say so. Soon as they see the bride and groom, bam confetti is up in the air :facepalm:

Then there’s always that one absolutely hilarious prankster that has to pull a stupid face or do the bunny ears :banghead:

I find setting an actual figure for Auto ISO works better too, it never really seems to be fast enough, even on the faster setting

Absolutely, it’s hard enough orchestrating the confetti shot. You tell people 10 seconds prior, throw the confetti on my say so. Soon as they see the bride and groom, bam confetti is up in the air :facepalm:

Then there’s always that one absolutely hilarious prankster that has to pull a stupid face or do the bunny ears :banghead:

Love doing confetti shots, make two lines about 25ft foot long and get B&G to walk down as guests throw confetti. Gives you plenty of time to nail the shot!

That’s exactly what I do, if everyone throws together you tend to get a better torrent of confetti :D

Did you line the shot up before you realised? I once did that, luckily one person had a single box, distributed to the right people we got the shot but it was very nearly an embarrassing moment :LOL:

Back